• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

BTA

My pizza arrived early so I'm watching this already and uh.

5 minutes in and I'm remembering why I don't like playing horror stuff alone even with the commentary.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Watching PT on YouTube just highlights how much it destroys textures and overall picture quality. PT looks absolutely amazing when played.

I would murder to have a VR horror game with the production value and visuals of PT. Scary shit is incredibly effective when you feel like it's actually in the room with you.

lnAQ60v.jpg

Bacon

Would anything from the last two years be on a three hour all-time best of Bombcast?

Was jeffs resident evil rant from the last 2 years or is that already 3 years old now?

please for the love of god don't tell me it's already been 3 years what is time even.

Goron2000

best junior ever
I think in the years since it came out people are lacking context for what PT was. It wasn't meant to be a straight demo of a game. It was intended to be a mystery that would be solved by the community working together like an ARG. The Silent Hills trailer at the end was a reward for everybody solving the mystery, not just the ending of a demo.

BTA

So regarding PT
I looked up the part they get stuck in, the endless red hallways, and how are you supposed to even know how to do that? I knew the whole ARG-ish nature to it but it sucks because I think this section's atmospherically really cool and using the sped up movement to make you suddenly rush around a corner right into something would be effective but... you're supposed to just find some random hole? What?

Gonna stop now to play V3 though and come back to it a bit later.

EDIT: nice timing on this post huh

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Which is why I kinda think PT is old hat when it comes to being a horror showcase. Outside of the first few scenes the rest are just obtuse bullshit.

BTA

After seeing this I hope even more that they did Anatomy.

Sincerely very creepy and unsettling with one of the best jump scares for my group of friends being
a picture sorta sticking out of a wall now

Which is why I kinda think PT is old hat when it comes to being a horror showcase. Outside of the first few scenes the rest are just obtuse bullshit.

It's unfortunate because I think there's much cooler ways to make it ARG-like than just being obtuse bullshit. Weird and ritualistic behavior that you do through specific otherwise normal interactions resulting in things actually changing is more interesting than "wait for a baby to laugh and talk into a microphone after" or whatever it is.

I mean PT's whole purpose was to try to make it as difficult as possible to get to the end so that the Silent Hills reveal hit harder. I don't think they made that thing thinking anyone would regard it with the reverence people do today.

Antiwhippy

Huh, interesting to hear that after including ads into the bombcast it became a giant slice of giantbomb's revenue pie. I had no idea those kind of ad services actually commanded that much money.

BTA

I lied and kept watching and
this distorted/misaligned effect is actually legitimately cool again

I mean PT's whole purpose was to try to make it as difficult as possible to get to the end so that the Silent Hills reveal hit harder. I don't think they made that thing thinking anyone would regard it with the reverence people do today.

Yeah, but there are ways to make things difficult in a way that's also scary, which would have been nice. It's the difference between the solution being a Boody Mary thing/creepypasta ritual instructifons/whatever and just sorta doing certain movements based on sound effects.

Salarians

the weird but unsurprising thing about Fortnite is how barebones it feels

aside from a loading screen tooltip telling me "sniper rifles are good for long range", there is no tutorial or even a character selection screen

just figure it out I guess, you've probably watched PUBG streams, you know what to do

Antiwhippy

Yeah they've been paying the top PUBG streamers to stream the game, they're going to try to get as much of the PUBG audience as they can.

It makes sense, if you're the first PUBG clone, you have to capitalize before the others come.

That sounds... really scummy honestly. Trying to force a community through sheer money instead of naturally building one.

Top Bottom