• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

That sounds... really scummy honestly. Trying to force a community through sheer money instead of naturally building one.

Slightly unrelated, but I'm pretty sure PUBG sent alpha codes and had special weekends for big streamers of King of the Kill back before the game was in early access (but I don't know if they actually paid anyone money to play the game)... So it's not a super uncommon practice to poach streamers of similar games. But it seems like building a community purely with money doesn't really ever work out like Evolve

I haven't listened to the Bombcast yet but Rorie did mention less than a week ago that they will be doing some sort of favorite moments collection. No idea when that will happen though.

Okay, dang, would have been a perfect time to bring back DAVE or Vinny for some memories of those first episodes.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
lawbreakers tried to do it too

its nothing new to twitch

MMmmm, I guess. I dunno, maybe it's me being more used to the way FGC does things but watching companies throw money to inflate esports is always an uneasy thing to me.

Which is part of my worry about the Overwatch league...

Yeah they've been paying the top PUBG streamers to stream the game, they're going to try to get as much of the PUBG audience as they can.

It makes sense, if you're the first PUBG clone, you have to capitalize before the others come.

I haven't watched the streams, but I wonder if the twitch streamers have to say they're being sponsored by Fortnite.

I think in the years since it came out people are lacking context for what PT was. It wasn't meant to be a straight demo of a game. It was intended to be a mystery that would be solved by the community working together like an ARG. The Silent Hills trailer at the end was a reward for everybody solving the mystery, not just the ending of a demo.

So regarding PT
I looked up the part they get stuck in, the endless red hallways, and how are you supposed to even know how to do that? I knew the whole ARG-ish nature to it but it sucks because I think this section's atmospherically really cool and using the sped up movement to make you suddenly rush around a corner right into something would be effective but... you're supposed to just find some random hole? What?

Gonna stop now to play V3 though and come back to it a bit later.

EDIT: nice timing on this post huh
I think in the years since it came out people are lacking context for what PT was. It wasn't meant to be a straight demo of a game. It was intended to be a mystery that would be solved by the community working together like an ARG. The Silent Hills trailer at the end was a reward for everybody solving the mystery, not just the ending of a demo.

It's well documented actually.

The 10 steps is consistent.
Going to the 'haunting' is also consistent(IE Lisa will start moaning/haunting in 3 different ways, depending on how it sounds you go to either the bathroom, radio, or clock(?)).

Afterwards, you start repeating a 'J' word. Jareth works. So does saying 'J'. Afterwards the controller will shake and you stand still. It's pretty awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVUEoB-_DeA

Watch this set of videos where this guy analyzes it. It's a good watch!

Antiwhippy

Nature Box has distribution in grocery stores now, they've got to be doing something right.

Oh I know it's probably working, I just have a weird skeptical aversion to that sort of stuff that isn't really justified.

Like I see people actually engaging with my company's facebook page and I'm like "Who are you people? Who does this?"

My goodness that Six Crazy Frights is my favorite GB video in a long time. Instant classic as far as I'm concerned, despite them getting stuck for a bit.

I haven't laughed as hard as I did at "Jareth! Jareth! Jareth!" in a good while. How is the player supposed to know to say that?

My goodness that Six Crazy Frights is my favorite GB video in a long time. Instant classic as far as I'm concerned, despite them getting stuck for a bit.

I haven't laughed as hard as I did at "Jareth! Jareth! Jareth!" in a good while. How is the player supposed to know to say that?

The best PT stream back when it came out was Jeff Green yelling JARETH? for two hours. I might add that to my list of things to watch/play in October.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm starting to sound like Whippy here but RUINER just destroyed all my favorite OSTs this year

hot damn the first level ost is whatever but everything after that gets crazier and crazier

Antiwhippy

I'm starting to sound like Whippy here but RUINER just destroyed all my favorite OSTs this year

hot damn the first level ost is whatever but everything after that gets crazier and crazier

Who's this whippy guy.

Sounds like a dick.

For serious though, the songs in the trailers I've seen were all incredibly my shit. I need to get around to Ruiner sometime this year.

09grxxl31.gif

BTA

Ughhh after working fine for months of regular use, my Vita decided to freak out when I let it sleep while I went to use the bathroom; came back a couple minutes later and it wouldn't let me swipe it awake and then wouldn't turn on.

It's working now but I have to redo an hour's worth of V3's prologue. Why tonight of all times?

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
I have a little beef with last Friday's Beastcast.

It bothers me when Alex "Down A Dark Road" Navarro uses a cliched catch phrase to shut down a conversation that is intresting to his listeners. In this instance, just as Vinny and Abby were about to get into the nitty gritty of the decision to use an inverted analog setting while playing a game, Alex forces the conversation to an end. Particularly at a moment when Abby was clearly stating she did not understand why up and down were inverted and not left and right.

This is not the first time this has happened. While Alex's boisterousness has been examined and complained about numerous times over the years here and elsewhere (and granted, I have noticed how it has improved over time), his ability to shut down a topic for whatever reason (inexperience of the listener?, boredom?, etc.) is something that really bothers me. And while examples of this happening in the past escapes me at the moment, this is not the first time it has happened. What is more upsetting in this instance, and the reason I'm posting about it, is that Abby is an intelligent woman who was claiming she did not understand, only to have Alex loudly exclaim that it is a "dark road" and shut down her inquiry. This is bad, and, quite frankly, rude.

I'm mostly giving a cautioning tone with this. More care must be taken in respecting the intelligence of the listeners of the Beastcast and podcastees creating it. We wouldn't ask the question if we were not interested in stepping off of the lightened path; let's not knock the carriage out from under us whenever we do

Antiwhippy

Ughhh after working fine for months of regular use, my Vita decided to freak out when I let it sleep while I went to use the bathroom; came back a couple minutes later and it wouldn't let me swipe it awake and then wouldn't turn on.

It's working now but I have to redo an hour's worth of V3's prologue. Why tonight of all times?

That hour is real slow too.

But the beginning also looks like it's setting up some really interesting shit.

BTA

That hour is real slow too.

But the beginning also looks like it's setting up some really interesting shit.

It was just the character intros so skipping should make it quick at least.

And yeah, it's definitely appealing. In enteral I'm like 99% unspoiled for once but did see a few select things in threads here due to bad/lack of spoiler tags, and have some vague ideas about where it could be heading overall as a result of combining (since they're mostly minor things/review impressions without much context) but... I have no idea if anything I'm thinking is right and regardless of that, the game seems to be presenting things up front/obviously such that I hope anything I suspected will be dashed or confirmed early on, which is nice.

I have a little beef with last Friday's Beastcast.

It bothers me when Alex "Down A Dark Road" Navarro uses a cliched catch phrase to shut down a conversation that is intresting to his listeners. In this instance, just as Vinny and Abby were about to get into the nitty gritty of the decision to use an inverted analog setting while playing a game, Alex forces the conversation to an end. Particularly at a moment when Abby was clearly stating she did not understand why up and down were inverted and not left and right.

This is not the first time this has happened. While Alex's boisterousness has been examined and complained about numerous times over the years here and elsewhere (and granted, I have noticed how it has improved over time), his ability to shut down a topic for whatever reason (inexperience of the listener?, boredom?, etc.) is something that really bothers me. And while examples of this happening in the past escapes me at the moment, this is not the first time it has happened. What is more upsetting in this instance, and the reason I'm posting about it, is that Abby is an intelligent woman who was claiming she did not understand, only to have Alex loudly exclaim that it is a "dark road" and shut down her inquiry. This is bad, and, quite frankly, rude.

I'm mostly giving a cautioning tone with this. More care must be taken in respecting the intelligence of the listeners of the Beastcast and podcastees creating it. We wouldn't ask the question if we were not interested in stepping off of the lightened path; let's not knock the carriage out from under us whenever we do

I literally did not notice what you're talking about. Not to shut down this line of thought but I think you're really really really overthinking a joke about how passionately people online can feel about control options and the want to avoid a flood of emails about it. It's similar to shutting down Dan before he says something ignorant without thinking it through; in this case it's not nearly as bad but it's something they can talk about off mic without invoking the ire of random people for no reason.

Jintor

yah i think ur overthinking stuff tbh.

alex and vinny seem to share the roles of saying 'we can't talk about this' tho. probably the long-term podcast experience talking where it's easiest just to yank the conversation by the collar once it starts going loco.

FluxWaveZ

I literally did not notice what you're talking about. Not to shut down this line of thought but I think you're really really really overthinking a joke about how passionately people online can feel about control options and the want to avoid a flood of emails about it. It's similar to shutting down Dan before he says something ignorant without thinking it through; in this case it's not nearly as bad but it's something they can talk about off mic without invoking the ire of random people for no reason.

I'm kind of with OneEightZero, actually. Vinny made an attempt to explain to what Abby was clearly not comprehending, but I frankly found Alex's interjections there unfunny and annoying.

You might be thinking of a different moment. The particular moment was explaining the difference between inverting everything, and just inverting the vertical axis. I don't mind whether or not an explanation happens, but having to hear "you're going down a dark path" several times, halting the conversation, isn't that compelling. Like, use Abby's catchphrase of "who cares" as a substitute.

BTA

yah i think ur overthinking stuff tbh.

alex and vinny seem to share the roles of saying 'we can't talk about this' tho. probably the long-term podcast experience talking where it's easiest just to yank the conversation by the collar once it starts going loco.

Yup. To be fair, I think it sticks out less with Vinny since he's hosting so it's more natural for him to push things onward. But they both try to keep things moving if it's going to end down that "dark path", which is to say: potentially stepping into debating extremely subjective things that people feel really strongly about and bother them about to no gain, or otherwise making ignorant statements about topics they know nothing about that would be insulting/harmful rather than funny.

xuchu

Man, still getting chills watching the ending of the last murder island. Glad Jeff put up his perspective. Didn't even know he was blinded by flashbangs when the grenades came in hard and heavy in that final circle.

Is Brads perspective up anywhere?

Tubobutts

The guy who played the I think he was racist but I'm not really sure everything in the story was weird Team Owner from Spike Lee's Livin' Da Dream was also from Petaluma.

Think about it

Man, still getting chills watching the ending of the last murder island. Glad Jeff put up his perspective. Didn't even know he was blinded by flashbangs when the grenades came in hard and heavy in that final circle.

Is Brads perspective up anywhere?

Nope. It will probably only be GB view, and Jeff's view.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
It was just the character intros so skipping should make it quick at least.

And yeah, it's definitely appealing. In enteral I'm like 99% unspoiled for once but did see a few select things in threads here due to bad/lack of spoiler tags, and have some vague ideas about where it could be heading overall as a result of combining (since they're mostly minor things/review impressions without much context) but... I have no idea if anything I'm thinking is right and regardless of that, the game seems to be presenting things up front/obviously such that I hope anything I suspected will be dashed or confirmed early on, which is nice.

I didn’t get the “Vinny is gonna say something stupid” vibe from this, though. Abby said “ I don’t understand” and Alex quipped the dark road stuff. Even if Alex felt he had curtailed a joke or something, it still was a shutdown of the conversation.

Scizzy

#Skate4 will bring my father back.

Edit to add: someone asked if anything from the past few years would make a best of. This segment would be a definite contender.

Top Bottom