• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I agree. I feel quite bad for Bluehole and PlayerUnknown. Of course this mode has existed in other things like H1Z1 but it was really PUBG that made it into this super massive, bigger than Dota, thing. For a lot of people and companies, having a hit like this is a once in a lifetime sort of opportunity. They've sold a ton of copies but I still feel so bad for them that they couldn't get more of their own time in the sun before a massive company like Epic moves in and tries to still steal their audience. Also that Epic did this pivot so quickly with their early access game that they've spent years developing. It just feels gross, this whole situation.

I won't go so far as to say I feel "bad" for PlayerUnknown and Bluehole, they're both still as rich as shit from their wildly successful game. They're going to be fine. They probably feel emotionally shitty but also their company certainly has a history of making rip-off games of their own in the past. When I say I'm sympathetic to them I mean that their claim of "hey we think Epic did a shitty thing" is a claim I would also probably make in their shoes

Its just that Epic also doesn't look good here

I think Fortnite Battle Royale is incredible shameless.

It's also really smart and will probably make them a lot of money.

It's depressing that everything will now copy PUBG, just as everything copied COD, but that's the shitty industry for you.

There's nothing new or surprising about what's happened.

Zaph

Why not? It would only take a couple of people to put in the mild changes to the systems needed. It doesn't feel like it's a polished thing. Mechanically, not much has changed.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm?

Fortnite is (was?) a 4 player co-op game dude. Even with all the incredible engineering talent at Epic, cloning pubg was a huge effort on a very short turn-around

oti

Banned
I think Fortnite Battle Royale is incredible shameless.

It's also really smart and will probably make them a lot of money.

It's depressing that everything will now copy PUBG, just as everything copied COD, but that's the shitty industry for you.

There's nothing new or surprising about what's happened.

It's not surprising because that's how any marketplace works.

I also don't think Bluehole need to worry. Although it will impact future sales a bit, I don't see why anyone who plays PUBG would want to go to Fortnite, or any similar copycats.

It's a rather realistic military sim, after all. There's a lot of recoil, bullet drop, the weapons all take a long time to get to grips with.

Nobody who plays Counter-Strike has abandoned it for other round-based team first person shooters, because it has the most refined gunplay and design.

Obviously PUBG isn't anywhere near the same level of refinement, but it has a very unique feel which won't be easy to replicate - even if the game mode can be.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I actually kinda do want a H1Z1 clone that didn't focus on shooting.

The more interesting phase wound be when they diverge and start experimenting with the formula. At least fortnite diverged with the building aspect.

oti

Banned
I also don't think Bluehole need to worry. Although it will impact future sales a bit, I don't see why anyone who plays PUBG would want to go to Fortnite, or any similar copycats.

It's a rather realistic military sim, after all. There's a lot of recoil, bullet drop, the weapons all take a long time to get to grips with.

Nobody who plays Counter-Strike has abandoned it for other round-based team first person shooters, because it has the most refined gunplay and design.

Obviously PUBG isn't anywhere near the same level of refinement, but it has a very unique feel which won't be easy to replicate - even if the game mode can be.

I can see part of the fan base moving to a shinier and more polished AAA version. And the other part staying with the OG Battle Royale game.

I actually kinda do want a H1Z1 clone that didn't focus on shooting.

The more interesting phase wound be when they diverge and start experimenting with the formula. At least fortnite diverged with the building aspect.

So like PUBG... but with cars?

I can see part of the fan base moving to a shinier and more polished AAA version. And the other part staying with the OG Battle Royale game.

Oh something will come along and fragment it, but I agree with Antiwhippy, it will be something that's more unique and fresh.

Jintor

this probably already existed but some kind of campfire in the distance scenario and then rolling ambushes through a treeline punctuated by horse-bourne archer battles sounds kinda dope

Scizzy

All of you guys worried about Abby leaving. Think of how often Vinny (and Brad) must get overtures to run their own sites. Well, not that often, since there are that many gaming sites out there, but they've definitely been on a lot of short lists the past few years.

patapuf

Watching them play a big Mount&Blade melee would be fun. Even if it's against AI.

A few (not so) valiant knights getting chased around by enemies. Or them storming a castle.

robotrock

Banned
All of you guys worried about Abby leaving. Think of how often Vinny (and Brad) must get overtures to run their own sites. Well, not that often, since there are that many gaming sites out there, but they've definitely been on a lot of short lists the past few years.

This thread freaks out about Brad and Vinny leaving at least twice a week

Cairnsay

Banned

Wait, people are worried about Abby leaving? What did I miss??

I'm alright with the whole Fortnite having that PUBG mode verbatim. I'm not alright with Fortnite making that mode front and center as if that was the base game all along.

Harpuia

Whatever team is in charge of Metal Gear Survive is furiously examining their options of turning their game into a battle royale game.

The problem is no one knows where Dave is.

Kn2v4yw.jpg

This is what makes me wonder how long PUBG is going to be at the top of its subgenre. How long before an established dev team with a decent budget makes something that lifts PUBG's gameplay but adds Overwatch levels of art design, tight controls, and general polish?

I said this last month and I feel like it's relevant today.

Except Fortnite is also hella unpolished

BTA

Golf Story seems pretty good.

Between that and Picross, it's a great day for the Switch tomorrow.

Picross is gonna sit on my Switch till I finish 3D, but yeah, I didn't expect Golf Story so soon.

I'm taking off on Friday but I was already planning to jump between V3/SNES (only a little)/working on a personal project I really need to finish already/Rabbids/Dishonored 2 as is so...

too many games

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Is there any point in not watching the Destiny 2 raid if I plan on buying Destiny 2 (on PC) at some point? Is it something I should rather discover myself? I'm super unclear on what raids actually are despite hearing Brad gush about them so much.It's not just shooting bad guys right, like theres puzzles and stuff? It's also not a thing that's going away right so it's not like I can't do it when the PC version comes out?

Top Bottom