• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

Is there any point in not watching the Destiny 2 raid if I plan on buying Destiny 2 (on PC) at some point? Is it something I should rather discover myself? I'm super unclear on what raids actually are despite hearing Brad gush about them so much.It's not just shooting bad guys right, like theres puzzles and stuff? It's also not a thing that's going away right so it's not like I can't do it when the PC version comes out?

As someone whos raided in both Destiny and WoW

People are overvaluing the shiny factor of.the raid. Its always better to know what happens then to wait day 0 and grind your head with 5 other people. Especially Destiny. People put too much stock into the "omg spoilers" aspect of it.

LiK

Is there any point in not watching the Destiny 2 raid if I plan on buying Destiny 2 (on PC) at some point? Is it something I should rather discover myself? I'm super unclear on what raids actually are despite hearing Brad gush about them so much.It's not just shooting bad guys right, like theres puzzles and stuff? It's also not a thing that's going away right so it's not like I can't do it when the PC version comes out?

If you're going in blind and plan on doing it, you can skip it. Personally, I'm done with doing raids blind now. Takes too long.

They're basically big puzzle encounters but they way Destiny does them it's like... you're either banging your head against a wall for hours trying to figure out the gimmick, or you do your homework and the trick is just executing it with a group of morons where there's always someone not doing what the fuck they're supposed to do. For my money the second part is challenging enough so I don't mind knowing what to do beforehand, or having someone explain the thing to me.

Catvoca

Banned

I think that, unless you're going to gather a group of 6 people who haven't played the raid and you want to bang your head against it, you're actually probably better off familiarising yourself with the mechanics by reading about it or watching someone play through it. That's how I felt with the other Destiny raids anyway, I haven't done this one yet.

Zaph

This week's raid order is Gauntlet (bad), Baths (okay), Pleasure Garden (awful).

With a bit of luck they should get through the first two in a few hours, so they can enjoy one of worst designed stealth encounters just as they're getting tired and cranky.

gdrmCNP.gif

oti

Banned
Since I've decided to not play the Raid myself I want it to be as awful as humanly possible for them to suffer through.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I think that, unless you're going to gather a group of 6 people who haven't played the raid and you want to bang your head against it, you're actually probably better off familiarising yourself with the mechanics by reading about it or watching someone play through it. That's how I felt with the other Destiny raids anyway, I haven't done this one yet.

They're basically big puzzle encounters but they way Destiny does them it's like... you're either banging your head against a wall for hours trying to figure out the gimmick, or you do your homework and the trick is just executing it with a group of morons where there's always someone not doing what the fuck they're supposed to do. For my money the second part is challenging enough so I don't mind knowing what to do beforehand, or having someone explain the thing to me.

If you're going in blind and plan on doing it, you can skip it. Personally, I'm done with doing raids blind now. Takes too long.

As someone whos raided in both Destiny and WoW

People are overvaluing the shiny factor of.the raid. Its always better to know what happens then to wait day 0 and grind your head with 5 other people. Especially Destiny. People put too much stock into the "omg spoilers" aspect of it.

Thanks.
I didn't even consider that you need 6 people for the raid. Since I know one guy who might buy the game I'll probably end up not doing any raids at all cause doing a cooperative thing that takes hours upon hours with random people sounds like hell to me.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So I go to sleep when they'll start and need to wake up in 5-6 hours. Chances that they're still raiding when I wake up?

derFeef

Raids are for enthusiasts that have many friends who play the same game and also have lot's of time for games. That's the reasons I never bothered with raids in MMO's.

LiK

Thanks.
I didn't even consider that you need 6 people for the raid. Since I know one guy who might buy the game I'll probably end up not doing any raids at all cause doing a cooperative thing that takes hours upon hours with random people sounds like hell to me.

The struggle makes the victory much sweeter. But I recommend watching the GB crew do it just to see it.

Why the fuck does Destiny keep putting bad stealth and platforming sections in their raids?

Because theres only so many mechanics you can do and unlike WoW, bungie tends to stick with the bad movement based ones.

Like D1s gimmick were the "stand on thing then have one guy grab a thing and dunk things". Then again D2 likes the "stand on thing" so...

Thanks.

Yeah. Running with Gaffers is alright as long as you stay away from the prick cliques, but its enjoyable if you find a consistent group.

BTA

I'm actually sorta interested in watching the raid (as someone who's decided ever buying Destiny 2 is a waste of money as I am terrible at consistently playing MMO-like games) but I also have meetings today and am busy at night, and don't want to watch a super long archived thing, so...

Brad "I'm done with Destiny 2 for now" Bradshoemaker is streaming Destiny 2 right now?

I know Brad likes to wake up early... But man... 5:30am to play Destiny for a few hours before you play like 4 more hours of Destiny is some DEDICATION

Holy shit! He is dancing while his character is holding neon cyber noodles... Maybe Destiny is GOTY.

LiK

That's crazy to me, I assumed he would have done everything in Destiny 2 by now.

Edit: especially with him reviewing the game.

Dan should do a second opinion review since he's done most of the stuff. Brad can compare it to D1 since he had the most experience there.

Bacon

I did vault of glass with a group of randoms a couple years ago. We were playing for at least 6 hours and never finished. It was pretty easily the most frustrating gaming experience of my life.

Never again

... is that a good thing or bad thing?

Obviously important stuff happens but if you are unfamiliar with the lore like myself then it matters fuck all, honestly. Getting you familiar with the world is not something that Destiny 2(nor 1) sets out to do. Also, I remember Brad mentioning not doing the quests was because he leveled passed them so it's kind of a waste of time?

I know Brad likes to wake up early... But man... 5:30am to play Destiny for a few hours before you play like 4 more hours of Destiny is some DEDICATION

Holy shit! He is dancing while his character is holding neon cyber noodles... Maybe Destiny is GOTY.

Oh, they're gonna be at this for way more than 4 hours. Unless Brad starts dropping hints very soon into each section. Even then it's a buggy mess that punishes any one player's death to a high degree, so everyone has to be executing at a high level. My group has the raid on farm now but we still wipe to encounters regularly, especially the last boss, because it's such a buggy mess.

Top Bottom