• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

daveo42

Banned
You know, i like the franchise (still need to finish 2) but i never actually expected the game to be a fiscal success.

I basically expected it to come in at near cost, but it must have come in way below even Sony's expectations. It also seems like Sony is quick to cut anything off that takes up online resources and isn't at least breaking even. Tomorrow Children is getting shut down (or has been) after a similar amount of time for similar reasons.

Are they raiding again today?

New this is the run??

No. The Beastcast records today and there's no way they'd cancel that. Friday's play date is already cancelled. We lost SMS to Destiny. We will not lose the Beastcast to the same fate.

Alex contributed more than just running. He was among the few who was like: Guys, we're making progress here. It may not seem like much, but it's progress.

Even when he was going mad at the end, it was in a fun, amusing kind of way instead of an angry, frustrated way.

I was kinda unimpressed with Brad. He had the highest light level out of all of them, but still seemed to get regularly stomped by adds. Is the Warlock really that paper thin?

xuchu

Calus will be a 10 hour stream though, calling it now.

100 percent. Even if they quickly understand it, some of them are quite low level for it so they won't have the dps to do it in one or two cycles. This will be made worse by Brad having flimsy or sometimes even misleading knowledge on the raid mechanics.

imBask

Banned
I'm not sure if i'm gonna finish Nier after all

Route C was going pretty well until
the sequence where 2B dies or whatever,
that atrocious 5 min of walking slowly à la Metal Gear Solid 4

idk man, that game has really good parts and really bad parts and I feel like i'm ready to move on to something else

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I basically expected it to come in at near cost, but it must have come in way below even Sony's expectations. It also seems like Sony is quick to cut anything off that takes up online resources and isn't at least breaking even. Tomorrow Children is getting shut down (or has been) after a similar amount of time for similar reasons.

I mean it could also just be that no one is playing gr2 currently, which might not be a bad thing because it's still a single player game where the playtime is mostly front loaded.

Antiwhippy

I'm not sure if i'm gonna finish Nier after all

Route C was going pretty well until
the sequence where 2B dies or whatever,
that atrocious 5 min of walking slowly à la Metal Gear Solid 4

idk man, that game has really good parts and really bad parts and I feel like i'm ready to move on to something else

If it helps that's pretty much the only such play where it happens.

Also kinda the point
to make you struggle.

imBask

Banned
I man if it helps that's pretty much the only such play where it happens.

Also kinda the point
to make yippy struggle.

yeah but, at this point, i'm just expecting some other thing I won't enjoy around the corner

I feel like I gave that game more than a fair shot, 15h is more time than I put in most games theres days

LiK

I need to start NieR soon. Once I get my D2 Plat this week, I'm gonna do it.
After I play and finish DanganRonpa V3

Antiwhippy

yeah but, at this point, i'm just expecting some other thing I won't enjoy around the corner

I feel like I gave that game more than a fair shot, 15h is more time than I put in most games theres days

Mmm, fair enough. I'd say that's where the narrative starts to go places but you gave it a fair shot.

I always find it interesting how divisive that part is. I love it due to how emphatic it made me feel throughout that sequence. But some people seem to absolutely hate how it
robs you of total control which i feel is the point due to her slowly losing to the virus.

Linkin112

I was kinda unimpressed with Brad. He had the highest light level out of all of them, but still seemed to get regularly stomped by adds. Is the Warlock really that paper thin?
Nah, Warlock is best boy. Gotta use that Healing Rift + Arc Soul when you're in trouble.
Brad is just bad.

Lari

No. The Beastcast records today and there's no way they'd cancel that. Friday's play date is already cancelled. We lost SMS to Destiny. We will not lose the Beastcast to the same fate.

Holding all the shows hostage until they can finish this thing.

We live in the darkest timeline.

Oakinn

Alex contributed more than just running. He was among the few who was like: Guys, we're making progress here. It may not seem like much, but it's progress.

Even when he was going mad at the end, it was in a fun, amusing kind of way instead of an angry, frustrated way.

Love me some rudds but I was confused by this as well.

Late to the Borderlands discussion but Tales From The Borderlands is the best Borderland thing ever made.
Just starting the raid, I'm 18 minutes in. I hope to hear a lot of Dan Questions.

You'll reach a point in the stream where you'll question if he left or he's still playing
Why didn't anyone tell me about One Punch Man? It's not anime right? It's a show for cool guys right?

I was EH on it for the first few episodes but then it gets pretty good. People hyped it up too much honestly, as with many things.

To be honest, he was the most positive which was surprising. All the way to the end.

daveo42

Banned
I mean it could also just be that no one is playing gr2 currently, which might not be a bad thing because it's still a single player game where the playtime is mostly front loaded.

True, though the amount of data making up the online components of GR2 has to be tiny since there wasn't all that much to it. Most of it would have been related to the image files sent between users as part of the treasure hunts.

LiK

Listening to Bombcast and hearing JEff's thoughts about the Bombcast history was really nice and brought back memories.

imBask

Banned
Mmm, fair enough. I'd say that's where the narrative starts

you said that like 4 times already :mad:

that's part of my problem with the game, I can't stand this "yeah but just keep pushing i'm telling you"... you get the same argument a lot when it comes to TV shows and I also tend to drop them early if they're bad

Late to the Borderlands discussion but Tales From The Borderlands is the best Borderland thing ever made.

It's cool. Any extra voice telling people to get off their ass and play Tales From the Borderlands is a good voice. Best thing from both Telltale and the Borderlands Universe by a wide margin. (and I love their takes on The Walking Dead, The Wolf Among Us, and Batman)

See, I knew it before the raid :p

Damn straight.

hamchan

Listening to Bombcast and hearing JEff's thoughts about the Bombcast history was really nice and brought back memories.

Hmmm interesting to hear that he still seemed to think that splitting the Bombcast was the right move to take, at least how I interpreted what he said about it.

BTA

that's part of my problem with the game, I can't stand this "yeah but just keep pushing i'm telling you"... you get the same argument a lot when it comes to TV shows and I also tend to drop them early if they're bad

Eh I feel like for TV, even though I'm similar, there's actual reasons for it. It can take time for them to find their groove and such.

Internal to a single game, even as someone who expects to love Nier A, that argument works less.

Antiwhippy

To be fair i said those specifically for this route. :p

That is one of my favorite parts though lol. Kinda what i meant when i said it ties the narrative to the world and gameplay.
Which sometimes mean that if it wants to duck with your condoms it will do that.

RDR trailer in less than an hour. I wish more developers made games set in the wild west, it's such a rich and fascinating era that is just ripe for great games to be made. We need more games like RDR, Darkwatch, Rising Zan: The Samurai Gunman, Call of Juarez.etc

While I agree, I wish they'd lean more into the Deadwood side of things (which was part of RDR's success in my eyes).

The west in the 1800s as a concept is ripe for excellent storytelling material, but not because the era was awesome, rather because the era is full of all kinds of problematic shit that resonates in American society today.

Fuck, I need to re-watch Deadwood.

imBask

Banned
I respect Nier tho, it's a good game, just not grabbing me or meeting my expectations

Keep that trash out of the top 10 tho, GOLFING GAMES ARE TAKING OVER

How about a Western Western Role Playing Game from Obsidian?

SIbZ187.gif

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Cormac McCarthy's Border Trilogy (All the Pretty Horses, The Crossing, Cities of the Plain) was influential to Red Dead.

I want more McCarthy in my vijeo games, as an English major.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Hmmm interesting to hear that he still seemed to think that splitting the Bombcast was the right move to take, at least how I interpreted what he said about it.

If they'd done that, I honestly wouldn't be watching their stuff today. At the time I listened to the podcast more than watching their videos (mostly because the podcast was longer than their videos for a long time) and didn't subscribe until after the Whiskey Media sale. I'd have stopped listening to the podcast and I probably wouldn't have come back.

patapuf

If you are that far along with C, you won't suddenly start to enjoy it.

The story does rely a lot on it's resolution, it's where it's strongest (which is why it's worth powering through the narrative lul in the middle), but if you don't find the questions intriguing in the first place that won't help.

I liked the questions, as i'm a big fan of existentialism. I also like Platinums brand of character action games. So i was never at a point where i didn't enjoy what i was doing.

While I agree, I wish they'd lean more into the Deadwood side of things (which was part of RDR's success in my eyes).

The west in the 1800s as a concept is ripe for excellent storytelling material, but not because the era was awesome, rather because the era is full of all kinds of problematic shit that resonates in American society today.

Fuck, I need to re-watch Deadwood.

Precisely. It's just a super fascinating era to me and it's not just that but also the mythos surrounding it. I guess not many are into westerns in general, I on the other hand am a sucker for'em. Also yes, Deadwood is goddamn amazing.

Harpuia

I hope the RD2 trailer reveals what the story will be. I hope it's a new cast and not related to the first.

Speaking of games that intertwine game mechanics into emotion, the last part of RDR will always stick with me.

Also speaking of good shooting, the old guns in RDR were so good. Now that's some good shootin'

I finished Route C (and saw the rest of the main endings) yesterday during the raid and I'm glad I stuck with it even though it's a bit of a slog. I went from "yeah this game is fine" to "man this might be my second-favorite thing I've experienced this year."

Top Bottom