• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

Jeff was so mad about Atlus threatening emulators on the Aftershow. Haven't heard that tone of voice from him in a while.

Jeff uses emulators to play and preserve his old games, is passionate about the scene, and Atlas doesn't understand that emulator sites and rom sites are two different things.

Jeff uses emulators to play and preserve his old games, is passionate about the scene, and Atlas doesn't understand that emulator sites and rom sites are two different things.

To be perfectly honest, to the vast majority of people they go hand in hand. Obviously I'm against taking emulators down but not many people use them for legitimate purposes.

jambo

Galaxy 1 was excellent and inventive. Galaxy 2 was Galaxy 1 with terrible level design and annoying mechanics. It's the only 3D Mario that I've never finished.

z7Z8KsD.gif

Seventy70

I really don't understand how this raid content is meant to be consumed. 7 hours of raw video where they don't even complete the raid? Who finds that entertaining? I'm genuinely curious. Do you just put it on in the background?

Aaron

I really don't understand how this raid content is meant to be consumed. 7 hours of raw video where they don't even complete the raid? Who finds that entertaining? I'm genuinely curious. Do you just put it on in the background?
Yeah, that’s what I did when it was live and I was cleaning up the condo, taking breaks to watch what was going on.

Yep had it on on my iPad on my desk at work while I did some coding and database restructuring on my computer and tuned in every now and again. Will be doing the same thing tomorrow. Will be more relaxed though since most people at my office Telework on friday or leave early so I might tune in more.

BTA

I'd have had it on in the background out of curiosity if I worked from home at all this week but there were a lot of meetings so I didn't.

Ironically I probably won't watch tomorrow (a day I'd usually work from home) either, since with the day off anything I'd be doing at home (games or audio editing) probably need me to pay more attention to the sound than just coding would.

dcassell

Banned

It made my workday go by super quick, yeah. I also find the "maybe they'll get it this time" watching experience really entertaining.

Just watched the 2K quick look. I feel like watching bad sports TV with Vinny would be quite the experience, the sportscaster banter was too funny

BTA

Finishing up watching Abby play PT now and I wish Vinny'd looked up another walkthrough. I was googling them earlier in the video to see what they'd have to do and I'm pretty sure the one he read was confused/not clear enough about some of the steps. EDIT: oh rad he did, ty past-Vinny

Anyway gonna check out Golf Story and then get some sleep so I can get my SNES in the morning. Assuming I have one. Because GameStop didn't call me?

Mr. F

Banned
Finishing up this week's bombcast, it kind of occurred to me that I don't think I really care about the "what have you been playing" segment at all. Ever since introducing more podcasts to the rotation that cover similar ground, I think I've come to realize that despite the veteran status in the industry GB is generally really bad at talking about games or conveying their experience on a particularly deep level. Either that, or widening out the discussion into a greater context.

I know it comes down to styles of coverage, but I've been finding the ways that Waypoint or Polygon show kind of covers things from an emotionally resonant point of view a lot more interesting than the more mechanically minded surface-level discussion on GB.

This is all just observation and personal preference of course. Listening to Jeff answer the emails about the Xbox launch/general industry history was a lot more interesting. I think I might start jumping forward.

Yeah guys, Golf Story is amazing.

A fun quirky golf inspired RPG and I'm loving it.

Time for bed. Beastcast for the morning commute.

Glad to hear it, I was kind of cautious with how weirdly quiet the developer was/has been.

Megasoum

Banned
Technical difficulties was great again this week. It feels like a more spontaneous jar time.

Haven't listened to this week's yet but yeah overall I like it and that is surprising to me... I really don't like call in shows/Q&As normally...way too weird and awkward but this one is good.

Jintor

it's really good to cook to imho. obvs i don't cook for 7 hours though so

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Haven't listened to this week's yet but yeah overall I like it and that is surprising to me... I really don't like call in shows/Q&As normally...way too weird and awkward but this one is good.

I think it helps that all the call ins so far have been pretty good.

I had it on at work as background noise when it was live, but I’m honestly not sure I’d ever queue up an archive that is this long.

Some hero with a lot of free time should make a “highlights” cut of it.

Oxirane

Any word on if they'll try a group stream of Fortnite Battle Royale (if they haven't already)?
Jeff doesn't seem interested, so I'm guessing there won't be.

Galaxy 1 was excellent and inventive. Galaxy 2 was Galaxy 1 with terrible level design and annoying mechanics. It's the only 3D Mario that I've never finished.

That is literally the opposite of the truth. Not that Galaxy 1 had "terrible" level design, but it certainly wasn't as polished as Galaxy 2's.

Aselith

I hope they have plans to have all six stream their unboxing when they get through the raid. That's the whole point so if anyone opens their stuff off camera I'mma be pissed!

BTA

Ok I don't know how much golf I'll be able to take long term but I am immediately sold on Golf Story's charm.

"When you compete in real tournaments, there'll be even more geese."

Antiwhippy

Jeff: "it's worse when I listen to the beastcast, then I'll hear vinny say 'jeff what do you think about this?", start talking and then go oh wait."

This is heartbreaking for my Jeff x Vinny ship. 😢😢

Teddified

Jeff: "it's worse when I listen to the beastcast, then I'll hear vinny say 'jeff what do you think about this?", start talking and then go oh wait."

This is heartbreaking for my Jeff x Vinny ship. 😢😢

New series Jeff v Jeff, Jeff G and Jeff B fight for Vinny's love.

oti

Banned
I'm just happy you're opening up yourself to joy, Piston. 🤗

Finishing up this week's bombcast, it kind of occurred to me that I don't think I really care about the "what have you been playing" segment at all. Ever since introducing more podcasts to the rotation that cover similar ground, I think I've come to realize that despite the veteran status in the industry GB is generally really bad at talking about games or conveying their experience on a particularly deep level. Either that, or widening out the discussion into a greater context.

They aren't good about talking about games.
Their news segment can be awful ("I heard on Twitter that...").
Their industry takes make no sense at times.

GB Podcast is best when Jeff goes on a rampage or when he talks about old games. The rest really isn't that good.

Best podcast when it comes to talking about games is Frame Trap by EZA. People bring up Polygon and Waypoint but I honest to god can't listen to their awful horny Millennial humour.

Yeah guys, Golf Story is amazing.

A fun quirky golf inspired RPG and I'm loving it.

Time for bed. Beastcast for the morning commute.

As someone who doesn't really like golf or golf games.

Golf story is really really fun!

Really glad to hear that! Bought that and picross today but didn't get to start golf story yet. Looking forward to digging in this weekend. Definitely gives me the Camelot gbc vibe

Wunder

Im surprised at how long Brad let them shoot the wrong arrow. Seems like the majority of their deaths were not understanding why they were blowing up

Mr. F

Banned
I'm just happy you're opening up yourself to joy, Piston. ��

They aren't good about talking about games.
Their news segment can be awful ("I heard on Twitter that...").
Their industry takes make no sense at times.

GB Podcast is best when Jeff goes on a rampage or when he talks about old games. The rest really isn't that good.

Best podcast when it comes to talking about games is Frame Trap by EZA. People bring up Polygon and Waypoint but I honest to god can't listen to their awful horny Millennial humour.

I feel like Waypoint has mostly moved past that, but I get what you mean. Their self awareness on that stuff was kind of shooting themselves in the foot for a little while as I just wanted to hear more of Austin genuinely expressing his thoughts on stuff and fewer jokes (I don't find anyone on there particularly funny). Polygon can be a mixed bag as well in that regard but at the end of the day it's just refreshing to hear people genuinely stoked or passionate about stuff they're playing. Not asking for EZA Shenmue levels of enthusiasm but the energy goes a long way in making it more enjoyable to listen to and has stood out more for me listening to the Bombcast lately.

Edit; the news thing drives me up the wall. I don't think Brad interjects with anything that isn't "I think I saw scuttlebutt that..."

Mechazawa

It tends to be relative for me, but I can definitely get there depending on what's being discussed. There are just certain games or genres where they just don't have anything insightful to say(virtually any fighting games). Other times it's a byproduct of having to go through a roundtable format where you need to hit everyone and some people have to talk about games to their disinterested peers(the Jason God Eater minute)

This seems more likely to be a West rather than East issue, though.

BTA

I barely understand how to golf in a Golf Story but it's neat.

But I should sleep because that's a thing I should actually use this weekend for and it's already 2:30 AM

Mechazawa

Neither side ever really goes in depth due to the structure of the podcasts, but listening to Alex these past few years has made it really clear to me that he's stronger at critique and dissecting games than either Jeff or Brad when he has space to talk.

And the way that someone like Vinny or Jeff B respond to someone in the crew bringing up an outlier game(say, NBA 2K) vs the Bombcast, gives the East people just that much more room to stretch.

Antiwhippy

Neither side ever really goes in depth due to the structure of the podcasts, but listening to Alex these past few years has made it really clear to me that he's stronger at critique and dissecting games than either Jeff or Brad when he has space to talk.

And the way that someone like Vinny or Jeff B respond to someone in the crew bringing up an outlier game(say, NBA 2K) vs the Bombcast, gives the East people just that much more room to stretch.

Agreed about Alex, but when was the last time Dan, Vinny or Jeff b had anything meaningful to talk about what they're playing? I think they're really funny but being in-depth is not what they do.

When Austin was there they were great, but he isn't any longer.

West crew is on average better to listen to when it comes to game talk for me.

drabnon

Alex’s attitude during the Raid is really surprising. I expected him to be the first to give it up but it seems like he has the most willpower of any of them?

patapuf

I like the Beastcast a lot but when it comes to "what have you played" talk their are more likely to make 2 or 3 jokes and quickly move on than sticking on one.

NBA 2K is not really an "outlier" game either as both Alex and JeffB like sportsgames. So they talk about them.

I also disagree that the Bombcast doesn't let room for oddball games. They talk about odd stuff they discover all the time. Even phone games. Jeffs "I recently held a copy of X" minute and its not like they've never talked indepth about monster hunter either.

Wunder

Alex's attitude during the Raid is really surprising. I expected him to be the first to give it up but it seems like he has the most willpower of any of them?

he's really positive when it comes to team situations or supporting others. It's when he's the sole player or eyes are on him that he can get frustrated. Whenever someone else is playing on Sunshine he's super positive and helpful. I think the raid is similar because he's mainly just a cog in the machine and while he personally could screw up, everyone needs to be on their game for it to work.

Rewatching the earlier parts of the stream, I can see the progression now so it isn't too unbelievable. They took about 2 hours+ to actually get their set up actually down so the number of wipes is actually greatly reduced if you take those away as just trying to figure out the fight. As someone who raided in WoW, it would never cross my mind to ever go into a fight blind and I can't imagine how much more time it would take to wipe continually while slowly figuring out the fight.

Antiwhippy

Also listening to technical difficulties Jeff g is probably the best person on the sure when it comes to parsing industry news. For the beastcast it's either them going "huh", "ok" "weird", and then making jokes here and there. The only strong reaction to a news I can remember from them is the snes classic stuff which is just mostly "they preorder situation sucks."

oti

Banned
The only good news segment comes from 8-4 Play. They know their stuff and the industry better than anyone from West or East.

Mechazawa

Agreed about Alex, but when was the last time Dan, Vinny or Jeff b had anything meaningful to talk about what they're playing? I think they're really funny but being in-depth is not what they do.

When Austin was there they were great, but he isn't any longer.

West crew is on average better to listen to when it comes to game talk for me.

Vinny doesn't give the strongest impressions for games, but he's easily the best out of anyone else on the website about actually engaging with game discussion and extracting information out of others.

Everyone else, sure.

I like the Beastcast a lot but when it comes to "what have you played" talk their are more likely to make 2 or 3 jokes and quickly move on than sticking on one.

NBA 2K is not really an "outlier" game either as both Alex and JeffB like sportsgames. So they talk about them.

I also disagree that the Bombcast doesn't let room for oddball games. They talk about odd stuff they discover all the time. Even phone games. Jeffs "I recently held a copy of X" minute and its not like they've never talked indepth about monster hunter either.
NBA is absolutely an "outlier" game. Bakalar clearly doesn't care about the games, so for all intents and purposes that was Alex's God Eater Minute last week.

As for the West crew, I definitely agree that they bring up "oddball" games but other members of the crew actually engaging with them? Forget about it. You'll get your requisite "cool" and move on.

Top Bottom