• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I don't really get that impression, but that's probably due to how the discussion is usually. There's just not a lot to extract most of the time.

Don't get me wrong I still enjoy them, I just don't see them as super deep.

More often than not I'm more interested in what they did, not what they played.

patapuf

As for the West crew, I definitely agree that they bring up "oddball" games but other members of the crew actually engaging with them? Forget about it. You'll get your requisite "cool" and move on.

Again i disagree. They do engage plenty with each other. Clickers and Dota aren't so notorious discussions because the only person playing them doesn't talk at length about them with the others.

They spend more time on games they all play... but that's a given.

Jason not talking a lot is often also his own choice. He's not as chatty as the other dudes.

I listen to waypoint, polygon ect. too btw. and their game segments can be super short depending on who's presenting them and how. You get like two games with indepth discussion per podcast, with rare exeptions. I like these for reasons other than pure gametalk.

2966954-snesmini_720.jpg

Quick Look: Star Fox 2 (Plus the Rest of the SNES Classic Line-Up)
When we heard there was an unreleased sequel hidden inside the SNES Classic Edition, we were immediately excited to finally see Rap Jam: Volume Two. Sadly, it was not meant to be.

Aselith

Welp, Ben doesn't know anything about Earthbound. You call your mom when you're homesick and your Dad helps you balance your checkbook.

You don't know about that, Ben Snow

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
can we get some antiwhippy blunder year photos

Fuck no.

This just links me to joining Vimeo Pro or some shit.

Come on, Anti.

Weird, working for me.

I mostly posted that video as a goof because Acronym is hilariously try hard with the tech ninja aesthetic even if I do like it. Worth checking out if you like the cyberpunk style though. Here's another example.

https://youtu.be/yGpplTTkU3Q

Jeff, Brad, and Alex are the only consistently good "critics" when it comes to talk about games they are actually really into. They can elaborate on mechanics and feel and presentation in a way that's both interesting and insightful! Of course, it makes sense since they came up in the industry as game reviewers first and foremost.

Jeff and Brad though can be very narrow-minded when they perceive something as negative about a game, especially Jeff. He can just hone in on one or two bad aspects, and he won't ever reflect on that opinion, even if that element gets changed or improved upon in updates. I understand that it's in the nature of traditional games journalism to keep looking forward and talk about new things instead of revisiting old games, so I get why he doesn't make a habit of checking back on things except for games from his childhood.

Vinny can produce nuggets of truth from how he feels about games and how they tap into his very particular way of playing.

Everybody else, well, they're funny!

Also, yeah, Waypoint Radio has moved on a lot from the horny millenial humor of the early episodes. Austin is still the best at approaching game criticism from a very personal perspective filtered through the lens of social issues with eloquence and conviction. Patrick has gotten better at keeping up, and Rob is still on point with his unique observations. Danielle brings the energy, and if given a topic where she feels strongly about, she can spit fire.

The Polygon Show is basically a comedy podcast about video games.

kiguel182

I'm back!

This whole "work" thing put me behind on GB (and this thread) by a lot.

But I got money to get Destiny 2 so I hope I can play with some folks here (and in the community) eventually!

Haven't watched the Raid video yet, still might after I finished Destiny story or whatever.

Anyway, it's beastcast day!

What did I miss these last two weeks?

patapuf

I'm back!

But I got money to get Destiny 2 so I hope I can play with some folks here (and in the community) eventually!

Haven't watched the Raid video yet, still might after I finished Destiny story or whatever.

They finally beat PUBG
Janina said hi on the last playdate.
The suffered through the raid for 7 and a half hours and are 30% done.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
"I was approaching college age when [Earthbound] it came about" - Brad.

I actually don't know how old Brad is. He seems timeless.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I understand that it takes some time to get into a state where you feel comfortable to show of an RPG but I'd like to remind everybody that Divinity OS 2 came out more than 2 weeks ago and there is still no QL on the site.

Also Ruiner get's slightly better if you go back to previous levels and grind to level up your abilities. I think that makes the game ultimately worse tho

Mr. F

Banned
I understand that it takes some time to get into a state where you feel comfortable to show of an RPG but I'd like to remind everybody that Divinity OS 2 came out more than 2 weeks ago and there is still no QL on the site.

Also Ruiner get's slightly better if you go back to previous levels and grind to level up your abilities. I think that makes the game ultimately worse tho

I'm sure one is coming given how highly Vinny speaks of it. Hopefully a cross-coast one with rorie

derFeef

I will tackle DOS2 during winter with a friend in coop. A Vinny X Rorie QL would be amazing.

I'm back!

I'm also super behind due to vacation and getting used to living with gf again. Once I start next week I actually hope that work is what will help me catch up haha.

kiguel182

They finally beat PUBG
Janina said hi on the last playdate.
The suffered through the raid for 7 and a half hours and are 30% done.

They got a chicken dinner?! And I missed Janina?! Well, I have stuff to catch up on the weekend.

When I say 7 hours on the raid video I assumed they were close to finishing it. But if I read correctly they went in blind so it kinda makes sense. They had help when they did the King's Fall.

hamchan

I'm just happy you're opening up yourself to joy, Piston. 🤗

They aren't good about talking about games.
Their news segment can be awful ("I heard on Twitter that...").
Their industry takes make no sense at times.

GB Podcast is best when Jeff goes on a rampage or when he talks about old games. The rest really isn't that good.

Best podcast when it comes to talking about games is Frame Trap by EZA. People bring up Polygon and Waypoint but I honest to god can't listen to their awful horny Millennial humour.

Frame Trap is so good!

Top Bottom