• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

ev0

Does one need to play Divinity Original Sin 1 before part 2?

Side note: I am like Vinny when it comes to these things.

2967584-ruiner.jpg

Quick Look: Ruiner
If the dystopian cyberpunk future means we all get sick teleport combos, then jack me the hell in.

Oakinn

So is the problem their DPS? Or are there major tactical errors they need to address? I’m curious if they’ll be able to get it done.

Its a bit of both. To execute the raid with people in the 260's you need to have flawless execution as its going to take multiple turns to take Calus out. Lower power also increases the chance of you dying and wasting a revive token when its not really needed.

The higher the power, the more damage you do and the less turns you need to be perfect.

xuchu

Are they actually doing the raid? Surprised as I thought they were done with it, especially Jeff. A lot of people have been saying here that higher light will help and while yes it will, especially for Abby and Alex, they have a general inexperience with high level destiny content and it shows. From Jeff constantly trying to melee yellow bar enemies and Abby plinking away at the yellow bars with a sub machine gun instead of using a merciless which is constantly at full ammo.

It's not their fault though as the campaign of destiny 2 is ridiculously easy and does not prepare you at all for the raid so of course they've picked up bad habits and even the higher light people like Dan and Jeff are constantly surprised with how quickly they die.

For me, its that all those ports are of games that came out years ago and re-re-re-rereleased (Binding of Issac re-after-ultramega birth deluxe-EA Alpha +AZ) and also the fact that most of those games are already bargain bin on other platforms and up priced for Switch, and the fact that in the case of Doom, it's such an inferior port. with it stripped and capped at 30FPS. To me that screen is way too tiny to even remotely think about it being portable.

Maybe it's just me, but I haven't undocked my Switch other than launch day. I don't do portable systems. playing games on a tiny screen with the hand cramping joycons are one of the worst ways to play video games I've ever had.

I can agree about the pricing (ex: I want Sine Mora and would probably buy it if it were $10 or so, but for $30 or 40 or whatever it is there is no way) but it also has breathed new life into games like Isaac for me. I had played the original on steam forever ago but never kept up with expansions. Ended up playing the switch version more than 40 hours already and plan on playing more sooner or later.

Heh, I thought I would be like this, normally I am horrible about playing handheld games (basically never do) but I love the switch. I have probably played it more in handheld than I have in docked and very much enjoy it either way.

That said I would never get a game like Doom on the Switch... PC is definitely the way I want to experience games like that.

Good to see Squad Sight actually being used in ExCorps. Unfortunately, positioning is still very much a weak point for them.

Still waiting on Big Jeffrey, Scoops, A Striker, and Blinking White Guy to show up in the squad.
taswell is immortal and thus would be unfair to the aliens to have him on.

Was planning on running the rest of the raid with the same group later, but that might have to take a backseat to seeing GB take one final shot at it!

Tagyhag

No, it takes place hundreds of years in the future with a different story.

That said, you should definitely play 1, it's fiendishly addictive.

I couldn't get into it for a while, and I yesterday I spent like 2.5 hours playing it which I never do anymore with games.

Patryn

Are they actually doing the raid? Surprised as I thought they were done with it, especially Jeff. A lot of people have been saying here that higher light will help and while yes it will, especially for Abby and Alex, they have a general inexperience with high level destiny content and it shows. From Jeff constantly trying to melee yellow bar enemies and Abby plinking away at the yellow bars with a sub machine gun instead of using a merciless which is constantly at full ammo.

It's not their fault though as the campaign of destiny 2 is ridiculously easy and does not prepare you at all for the raid so of course they've picked up bad habits and even the higher light people like Dan and Jeff are constantly surprised with how quickly they die.

I would fucking shocked if Abby or Alex are part of the Raid tonight.

You could probably throw Ben in there as well.

It's going to be Jeff, Brad, Dan and three ringers (Kessler?)

Bookoo

Don't think so. I picked up DoS2 without playing the first one and it seems like a new story. Apparently it takes 1000 years in the future and isn't really related.

Nerokis

Ports on the switch are good but they’re generally nothing to get excited about.

RDR on PC would be incredible for a bunch of reasons.

You realize you're just projecting your personal preferences, though, right?

It's clear that the Switch's mobility is a significant point of difference for a lot of people. MK8 would have looked prettier being ported to the PS4, for example, but being ported to the Switch allowed it to be differentiated from the original in a unique, impactful way.

Considering the variety of games being released these days, and the variety of ways people like to play them, it's pretty cool that we have all these platforms with unique strengths doing well.

BTA

For me, its that all those ports are of games that came out years ago and re-re-re-rereleased (Binding of Issac re-after-ultramega birth deluxe-EA Alpha +AZ) and also the fact that most of those games are already bargain bin on other platforms and up priced for Switch, and the fact that in the case of Doom, it's such an inferior port. with it stripped and capped at 30FPS. To me that screen is way too tiny to even remotely think about it being portable.

Maybe it's just me, but I haven't undocked my Switch other than launch day. I don't do portable systems. playing games on a tiny screen with the hand cramping joycons are one of the worst ways to play video games I've ever had.

...you do you, but as someone who watches most media on their phone, hearing the screen called tiny is kinda funny to me.

I exclusively play handheld/split joycons with just the screen. The split joycons might actually be my favorite controller.

Scizzy

I would fucking shocked if Abby or Alex are part of the Raid tonight.

You could probably throw Ben in there as well.

It's going to be Jeff, Brad, Dan and three ringers (Kessler?)

They'll succeed together or they'll fail together. Maybe they'll swap people out of it looks like they won't make it, but only as a last resort.

I'm excited for Doom on the go. Doom worked better for me as a distraction than as some deep, immersive experience. And the art style's appeal for me has never been the details. It's not that it's a bad game or anything, it's just I'd rather sink my dedicated time into something else.

You realize you're just projecting your personal preferences, though, right?

It's clear that the Switch's mobility is a significant point of difference for a lot of people. MK8 would have looked prettier being ported to the PS4, for example, but being ported to the Switch allowed it to be differentiated from the original in a unique, impactful way.

Considering the variety of games being released these days, and the variety of ways people like to play them, it's pretty cool that we have all these platforms with unique strengths doing well.

Huh? Porting Mario kart to the switch was just a unique way for nintendo to rake in another few million sales for barely any effort.

RDR on PC would be a massive deal for tons of people, certainly isn’t just due to my personal preferences. It’s one of the most requested ports of all time.

i've played switch for like 400 hours this year and that's only because it's portable

i love this thing so much

e: very cynical take above me ^^^ i like playing mario kart on the airplane

jiggles

Banned
Going to be a nice change of pace to go from listening to everyone whinge about PUBG to listening to everyone whinge about Destiny 2.

Oakinn

Hearing Jeff unload on Luke Smith after Alex hits a ramp, floats into the abyss, and causes a sixth consecutive wipe would be amazing. Have they even realized there are ramps yet, by the way?

Don't be silly, that's all glitches right there! There's nothing you can possibly have to look out for!

ev0

No, it takes place hundreds of years in the future with a different story.

That said, you should definitely play 1, it's fiendishly addictive.

I couldn't get into it for a while, and I yesterday I spent like 2.5 hours playing it which I never do anymore with games.

Don't think so. I picked up DoS2 without playing the first one and it seems like a new story. Apparently it takes 1000 years in the future and isn't really related.

Cool, thanks guys! Now to decide if I want to spend the money. Too many good games lol

BTA

Hearing Jeff unload on Luke Smith after Alex hits a ramp, floats into the abyss, and causes a sixth consecutive wipe would be amazing. Have they even realized there are ramps yet, by the way?

They've repeatedly talked about ramps, yes.

Xater

Going to be a nice change of pace to go from listening to everyone whinge about PUBG to listening to everyone whinge about Destiny 2.

I was fine with the other Destiny 2 stuff. This raid business is just super boring and takes up whole days.

If their talk after the last raid stream is anything to go by, they'll be doing it after work hours so it's not like it's going to take up any time for other content they could be doing.

And yeah also today might not be the best day to be streaming Murder Island with its hyper realistic weaponry.

Personally, I don't judge how people try to find comfort in trying times like today as long as it's not clearly self destructive. If you're not directly responsible in finding solutions to problems, you do whatever to help you cope with awful events. Self care is good. For Giant Bomb, they can entertain and lift up people's moods.

Just gotta be sensitive, really.

They wouldn't be doing any other content instead of the raid tonight guys, and sounds like its the final time they are gonna attempt it anyway. No reason to get upset about it.

Top Bottom