• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

I mean I don't think glorified digital comics should be considered for GAME of the year.

giphy.webp

Catvoca

Banned
Finished Danganronpa V3 last night and you guys have no idea how insane it gets. Too bad none of the GB crew will play it.

On case 4 and while I'm enjoying it, I don't think I like it nearly as much as the first 2 games. Hopefully that changes with whatever dumb, crazy stuff they pull in the final act.

BTA

On case 4 and while I'm enjoying it, I don't think I like it nearly as much as the first 2 games. Hopefully that changes with whatever dumb, crazy stuff they pull in the final act.

On trial 4 myself. I think it's my favorite of them, in some ways? The cast is definitely my favorite even if the dynamic's sorta weird at times.

I'm very interested to see how the rest of the game affects my opinion though, given the sentiment I've seen about where it goes but only have the vaguest of spoilers for it.

Oakinn

Some of the comments in the mordor review thread are incredible. I learned that reviewers are getting paid for good reviews with free press kits!!! My goodness, how are more people not outraged?!?! Was I the only one who wasnt aware of this?

BTA

Some of the comments in the mordor review thread are incredible. I learned that reviewers are getting paid for good reviews with free press kits!!! My goodness, how are more people not outraged?!?! Was I the only one who wasnt aware of this?

I mean, that's ridiculous, but I am surprised it's reviewing that well.

Probably not a game I'm checking out anytime soon regardless, but at least those who want it might have a better time than I expected.

Oakinn

I cant get worked up about loot boxes. I choose to ignore them and hopefully support a good dev who is getting thrown under the publisher bus.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I mean to be fair, the previous Mordor game was GOTY.

And like the previous game, despite the press loving it I have absolutely no interest in it.

Oakinn

I wonder when the line is going to be drawn for publishers jamming loot boxes into games that clearly don't need them. It is kind of annoying me.

It's a tough thing to figure out. I agree they are super annoying. But if you can straight ignore them then whatever I dont care. My worry is what happens to the Dev team when no one buys their game because of a publisher focused push on Micro Transactions. We've already seen publishers start breaking apart teams and studios with one game bombing.

Just my thoughts on it. It sucks either way

when it isn't worth it

so never

I mean clearly something needs to happen. First it was "60$ games shouldn't have them!" and then it turned into "it's ok to have them if we get free DLC in return" and then it turned into "oh that's fine the loot boxes are made for a separate mode all together" and now it's like "they're basically cheat codes".

Bacon

I've somehow fallen down an assassin creed hole over the last month so I can understand why people enjoy boring repetitive checklist games like mordor

Between Wardor, Forza, NBA2K18, and Battlefront 2, the ever-encroaching presence of microtransactions and/or loot boxes in games has to be featured in the Please Stop category. Seems like it has come to a head this year. Hasn't something similar won it in the past? Maybe cards or something?

Zaph

I wonder when the line is going to be drawn for publishers jamming loot boxes into games that clearly don't need them. It is kind of annoying me.

At this point I just accept they're here to stay, but reviewers should adapt and start making it mandatory to state if the the boxes are negligible/cosmetic (Destiny 2) or they felt like the game as been tuned around them (NBA 2K, Forza 7) and have it factor heavily into the verdict.

It's a tough thing to figure out. I agree they are super annoying. But if you can straight ignore them then whatever I dont care. My worry is what happens to the Dev team when no one buys their game because of a publisher focused push on Micro Transactions. We've already seen publishers start breaking apart teams and studios with one game bombing.

Ultimately its just not our problem. A game is a game, so who made the call is irrelevant. If a game bombs directly because of the monetisation (that's a big if to prove), and a studio suffers for it, maybe its for the best?

Wunder

Does the free update for SFV owners mean you get the S1 and S2 characters for free

no it sounds like the V-trigger and arcade mode stuff is coming for free but not characters. I think if you've been playing SFV from launch to now you probably have all the characters anyway?

LiK

On trial 4 myself. I think it's my favorite of them, in some ways? The cast is definitely my favorite even if the dynamic's sorta weird at times.

I'm very interested to see how the rest of the game affects my opinion though, given the sentiment I've seen about where it goes but only have the vaguest of spoilers for it.

Puhuhuhu, you guys have no idea. Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is?

robotrock

Banned
I've somehow fallen down an assassin creed hole over the last month so I can understand why people enjoy boring repetitive checklist games like mordor

I kind of like the Assassin's Creed games, and didn't really enjoy Mordor at all. I think this is because AC is about cool shit like history and Mordor is about the lamest franchise ever

Xater

I mean clearly something needs to happen. First it was "60$ games shouldn't have them!" and then it turned into "it's ok to have them if we get free DLC in return" and then it turned into "oh that's fine the loot boxes are made for a separate mode all together" and now it's like "they're basically cheat codes".

They are like chest codes if chest codes cost money, you didn't know what you get and the cheat might not even help you.

Oakinn

At this point I just accept they're here to stay, but reviewers should adapt and start making it mandatory to state if the the boxes are negligible/cosmetic (Destiny 2) or they felt like the game as been tuned around them (NBA 2K, Forza 7) and have it factor heavily into the verdict.

Ultimately its just not our problem. A game is a game, so who made the call is irrelevant. If a game bombs directly because of the monetisation (that's a big if to prove), and a studio suffers for it, maybe its for the best?

You think monolith wants that stuff in there? Reviews had said it feels tacked on by request of the publisher. So no, I dont think a studio closing is for the best

regardless it will be interesting to see how it does. Like I said before, it sucks either way

swimbuff

I wonder if anyone at GB will review Shadow of War. Looking through those other reviews I would already expect a 3/5.

If it gets reviewed I bet it'll be a 4/5. With comments something along the lines of Nemesis system being good as ever, great expansion of the map and tribe mechanics from the first game, but game is too long, too big, and we miss the focus from the first game.

Arkham City basically.

Zaph

You think monolith wants that stuff in there? Reviews had said it feels tacked on by request of the publisher. So no, I dont think a studio closing is for the best

I'm not saying they want it, I'm saying it doesn't concern the customer who made the decision. It's not like there's a 'dev' or 'pub' version of the game you can purchase, the only thing you can do is not buy it.

If enough customers do that, and the resulting low sales leaves the studio in jeopardy, its not on us. Maybe the industry will take note, maybe it won't.

Zocano

My only issue with Shadow of Mordor was that the actual combat was way too easy. I hope that was addressed in some way but that's also a difficult thing to suss out from reviews.

I'd get Shadow of War but too many games, too little time, life shit, and I'm in a deep deep XCOM hole.

Also I've more or less accepted that games as a service is the reality we live in and there's no real way to take us off this hellhole roller coaster ride and thus am extremely ambivalent on the microtransactions.

Oakinn

I'm not saying they want it, I'm saying it doesn't concern the customer who made the decision. It's not like there's a 'dev' or 'pub' version of the game you can purchase, the only thing you can do is not buy it.

If enough customers do that, and the resulting low sales leaves the studio in jeopardy, its not on us. Maybe the industry will take note, maybe it won't.

That's one way of looking at it. Or you could just be like nah, I'm not gonna punish the son for the sins of the father ( i think that example works here) and just ignore the side garbage tacked on. In all likely hood these things are not going away either way.

I'm not saying my way of looking at it is right, It's just how I see the situation.

Xater

My only issue with Shadow of Mordor was that the actual combat was way too easy. I hope that was addressed in some way but that's also a difficult thing to suss out from reviews.

I'd get Shadow of War but too many games, too little time, life shit, and I'm in a deep deep XCOM hole.

Also I've more or less accepted that games as a service is the reality we live in and there's no real way to take us off this hellhole roller coaster ride and thus am extremely ambivalent on the microtransactions.

Doubt that changed. Reviews Ive read mostly mentioned the main gameplay staying the same and then just adding a bunch of bullshit. Basically going the Assassin's Creed route but with an accelerated timetable.

Top Bottom