• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

Xater

I totally don't mind the Overwatch method. Everything is obtainable by just playing the game, and additionally the only things you get are cosmetic in nature.

Can't say Im a fan of it, but it's the only version if this system acceptable to me. Battlefront 2 is already up to a great start being pay to win with abilities and guns being in the boxes. Not to mention that a rarer card us straight up better.

The most impressive thing about Danganronpa 3's ending is that they manage to have a longer info dump than MGS 2.

Like that shit drags on foreeever.

swimbuff

I don't mind microtransactions in my games as long as they aren't cheats (that used to come free with every game, dammit!) and the ingame progression is not skewed to pressure you into buying them to feel like you're making any progress.

As Alex has said, 2K NBA is bad about this. I hope Shadow of War is better. I loved Shadow of Mordor and the Nemesis system. Combat was easy, sure, but it was fun as heck.

Zornack

I prefer the games I play to have cosmetic micro transactions because then development continues past the game's launch window.

Games like SC2 and Diablo 3 have been left to stagnate because, I assume, there's no money left to be made from them.

Meanwhile, Overwatch and Path of Exile get consistent free content updates and I don't feel exploited by their in game purchased at all.

Xater

I don't mind microtransactions in my games as long as they aren't cheats (that used to come free with every game, dammit!) and the ingame progression is not skewed to pressure you into buying them to feel like you're making any progress.

As Alex has said, 2K NBA is bad about this. I hope Shadow of War is better. I loved Shadow of Mordor and the Nemesis system. Combat was easy, sure, but it was fun as heck.

I know it's TB but it's quicker than me typing the problems down. Maybe check out those reviews first.

892ef643-b7d3-46de-9pyu91.jpeg

The idea that micro transactions that go beyond cosmetics don't influence the design is naive. They want you to spend money after all.

swimbuff

Oh geez. That looks bad. Guess I'll have to wait and see what more people have to say about it.

Ugh it's really disappointing to hear. Good thing we've got other games to play, but I was really looking forward to this one.

Fuckin' WB man. Always the thickest with this shit.

Wunder

I know it's TB but it's quicker than me typing the problems down. Maybe check out those reviews first.

The idea that micro transactions that go beyond cosmetics don't influence the design is naive. They want you to spend money after all.

I skimmed the Gamespot review and read about the 4th act stuff, which sounds like a terrible grind. The legendary orc stuff sounds fucking awful though holy shit

Zaph

Huh, that really goes against the tone of RPS's take:
Rock Paper Shotgun said:
And yes, there are loot boxes. But put down those pitchforks for now. Truth be told, I’m not really sure what the point of the paid versions is. An in-game currency called mirian drops like rain from quest rewards, random fights, and even from breaking down Talion’s old gear, which you can then use to buy an occasional loot box from the “Market” menu that gives you level-appropriate gear in a pinch. Never once did I feel the need to spend real cash on one of the better boxes, as I usually already had good stuff I’d looted from captain kills and collection rewards. I kept waiting for the need for better gear to overtake the cash flow, but it never did, not even when I discovered I had to pay 1,000 mirian to unlock gem slots for my weapons and gear. Sure, the most expensive loot boxes contain all legendary gear and orcish followers, but strikes me as a case of spending money for the sake of spending it. Maybe it’s worth noting that I didn’t play on the hardest of Shadow of War’s three difficulty settings, but I’m not convinced it matters.

I feel like they would have mentioned if the legendary gear or 4th act was entirely loot box exclusive?

BTA

With so many games to play the last thing I want is a game with an artificial grind to slog through to finish the game.

Yeah, I get that there are people who want more "value" out of the games they buy such that any excuse to keep playing is worth it, but make all that optional and don't gate the ending behind it, wow.

oti

Banned

Sorry, Xater. But I'll wait for impressions other than TB's trademark "look at the media lying to you, listen to me, I'm telling you the truth" stick.

Linkin112

I'm already kinda sour on Shadow of War, but I can't help but not trust this "4th act grind" thing. Reviewers overreact to things all the time/find things more difficult than the general audience.

Guess we'll see though, I was kinda wishing Shadow of War wouldn't be a long game so I could have time to play everything else that comes out in October, but maybe I'll have to shuffle some stuff off to December now.

Xater

Sorry, Xater. But I'll wait for impressions other than TB's trademark "look at the media lying to you, listen to me, I'm telling you the truth" stick.

TB is an idiot, but I read those reviews. Like I said, I copied it because I saw it retweeted and it was quicker than me typing it. The review brought up enough concerns for me. I loved the first game, but I'll skip this one. To me idea of possibly gameplay affecting loot boxes is enough of an affront to me though. Also think it's pretty immersion breaking to have them in.

Harpuia

Everytime I see the Shadow of Mordor games mentioned I'm always so amused by how much they want it to simultaneously have it be carried by the lord of the rings brand, but the games themselves have no lord of the rings brand on it.

Were these games ever intended to be their own thing, and then WB was like "ok what if...LoTR??"

imBask

Banned

hating on TB is fine he deserves it but you can't just ignore what he's saying especially when it's just report #2539 on the same issue

Shadow of Wardor thread said:
Yea I'll say it again

Fuck the haters and fuck the hate

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

And please stay the fuck out of the OT

We don't need you. We don't want you

Man this game is already paying off, never mind shadow of wardor GOTY

BTA

I'm already kinda sour on Shadow of War, but I can't help but not trust this "4th act grind" thing. Reviewers overreact to things all the time/find things more difficult than the general audience.

Guess we'll see though, I was kinda wishing Shadow of War wouldn't be a long game so I could have time to play everything else that comes out in October, but maybe I'll have to shuffle some stuff off to December now.

I mean it's not a matter of difficulty. It sounds like it requires you to do a lot of repetitive missions that have absolutely no side characters/content/actual plot just to eventually unlock a final ending scene or something.

Hindl

Everytime I see the Shadow of Mordor games mentioned I'm always so amused by how much they want it to simultaneously have it be carried by the lord of the rings brand, but the games themselves have no lord of the rings brand on it.

Were these games ever intended to be their own thing, and then WB was like "ok what if...LoTR??"
I think there's some weird shit with the IP rights where they have the rights to "Middle Earth" but not "Lord of the Rings"

Alex is going to fight for Nier:A hard and I think he will have some good support from Ben and possibly Vinny. I kinda doubt anyone is gonna be pushing hard for Wardor in a year like this... guess time will tell though.

oti

Banned
hating on TB is fine he deserves it but you can't just ignore what he's saying especially when it's just report #2539 on the same issue
All the reviews say one can finish the game without buying loot boxes just fine. It does seem to be a tedious grind, sure. But if you want the true ending you'll just need to get through it. True ending aren't new, grinding to get to the true ending isn't new either. That's lame design, I'm not denying that.

But I sure will wait for more people to play it and share their impressions before I trust our self proclaimed pro consumer YouTuber "fighting the good fight" and attacking media outlets.

LiK

Alex is going to fight for Nier:A hard and I think he will have some good support from Ben and possibly Vinny. I kinda doubt anyone is gonna be pushing hard for Wardor in a year like this... guess time will tell though.

Yup, he even bought NieR: A t-shirts. That's when yo uknow he's serious about it.

All the reviews say one can finish the game without buying loot boxes just fine. It does seem to be a tedious grind, sure. But if you want the true ending you'll just need to get through it. True ending aren't new, grinding to get to the true ending isn't new either. That's lame design, I'm not denying that.

But I sure will wait for more people to play it and share their impressions before I trust our self proclaimed pro consumer YouTuber "fighting the good fight" and attacking media outlets.

tbh I like grinding. I'm a monster.

Yup, he even bought NieR: A t-shirts. That's when yo uknow he's serious about it.

TBF they were PRETTY DAMN GOOD SHIRTS, the Sonic Yorha ones.

Cocky Cuphead is my favorite Cuphead

Nerokis

This week's Bombcast was fantastic. Feels like that crew is getting into a really good rhythm, which makes me excited to see what the eventual new hire does for them.

Despite all that, Shadow of War does stumble into a bit of a grind in the latter part of the game and the Chests system could be tuned much better. As it stands now, it's transparent in wanting you to open your wallet and buy a bit of Gold. Those issues are what keep Shadow of War from being an absolutely amazing game, instead of just a great one.

From another review in that thread.

Shame that Wardor turned out like that.

Real Hero

people really kid themselves with microtranscations, you don't put them into a game without also making the game incentivize buying them

If Mordor is any indication, Wardor will probably be cheap as fuck in a few months so I guess I might check it out then.

It might just be my perception, but it seems like games don't drop as fast or as far as they did a few years ago. Gone are the days of $5 steam sales the same year a $60 game was released.

kadotsu

Banned
It might just be my perception, but it seems like games don't drop as fast or as far as they did a few years ago. Gone are the days of $5 steam sales the same year a $60 game was released.

WB games still drop very fast. Probably because they love their post launch monetization so much.

Top Bottom