• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Fetishization of black men's genitals isn't something we should be comfortable joking about. BBC references can and do serve to otherize black men as savages. No one is calling Abby a bad person. Try to examine this stuff just a little bit before reflexively going on the defense.

...Uhuh. What joke would you have told yourself if you were in that moment, in her shoes?

Zaph

I also checked back in with Swery's Fig campaign. Why am I doing this to myself? It's just sad to look at. ��
I won't lie and say it looks promising, but Fig campaigns naturally peak later than KS because investor pledges take longer to process and clear.

Fetishization of black men's genitals isn't something we should be comfortable joking about. BBC references can and do serve to otherize black men as savages. No one is calling Abby a bad person. Try to examine this stuff just a little bit before reflexively going on the defense.

But she didn't make a BBC joke, she did a swerve based on a BBC joke expectation.

If you want to examine that, go ahead, but your original post was asking why other people hadn't.

I started working at youth center for 14-16 year olds in a pretty upscale neighbourhood recently and I've been talking to them alot about video games/movies/TV shows. Two things I wasn't expecting.

1. Nobody I talked to had even heard about the Switch.

2. We hosted a LAN party on Friday after school and 10 kids showed up, out of possible 250. I went to a school (12 years ago) of similar size and culture/background and we would never go lower then 60 kids.

That sounds like a pretty good result for the LAN party. Getting 60 12 years ago is more surprising tbh. When I was in highschool ~15 years ago LAN parties weren't a thing even then.

Ashby

I won't lie and say it looks promising, but Fig campaigns naturally peak later than KS because investor pledges take longer to process and clear.

But she didn't make a BBC joke, she did a swerve based on a BBC joke expectation.

If you want to examine that, go ahead, but your original post was asking why other people hadn't.

Where is the humor derived from in "I'm just a girl who loves big black fruit" if not in referencing BBC?

On the one hand I get it. Pew is a racist asshole and you don't want to be associated, but in the other hand that would be a takedown abuse.

Let's Plays exist because copyright holders are not electing to enforce copyright law, so filing a DMCA takedown request because PDP is a racist isn't an abuse of the system. They don't even need that justification since LPs violate copyright law.

Anyway, I think this is the first (legitimate) acknowledgment that the whole LP industry is basically a gray area based on implicit agreements that can be revoked at any time for nearly any reason. It's always been like that, but this should make that obvious to everyone.

I'm looking forward to The Exquisite Corps. I think they may get a terror mission soon, so it might be dicey but they will be fine if they can get some more laser weapons beforehand.
Most of all, I hope this one is not the last episode!

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I'm looking forward to The Exquisite Corps. I think they may get a terror mission soon, so it might be dicey but they will be fine if they can get some more laser weapons beforehand.

Well, Dan is next sooo.....

BTA

I can't tell if the way they've talked about it on the Beastcast means there's definitely another or if they're teasing that he loses.

It sounded like Abby didn't record her turn, at least?

Let's Plays exist because copyright holders are not electing to enforce copyright law, so filing a DMCA takedown request because PDP is a racist isn't an abuse of the system. They don't even need that justification since LPs violate copyright law.

Anyway, I think this is the first (legitimate) acknowledgment that the whole LP industry is basically a gray area based on implicit agreements that can be revoked at any time for nearly any reason. It's always been like that, but this should make that obvious to everyone.

I don't think the courts have made any of this so clear. If anything the way Google enforces the DMCA goes beyond what is legally required in a way that hurts what should be protected fair use.

Harpuia

well the game over condition for Xcom is either you have all the countries drop out (which actually takes a while but most people restart before it can) or having zero soldiers left.

Strax

Why are you phrasing this like what you are stating is a fact and not opinion?

I can't tell if the way they've talked about it on the Beastcast means there's definitely another or if they're teasing that he loses.

It sounded like Abby didn't record her turn, at least?

I don't think it's possible to get a straight up game over state that quickly from where they are, but it's possible that it went really bad and they just call it quits there. Hopefully not. I want them to struggle to the bitter end!

BTA

I don't think it's possible to get a straight up game over state that quickly from where they are, but it's possible that it went really bad and they just call it quits there. Hopefully not. I want them to struggle to the bitter end!

Yeah, that's fair.

I would think they'd keep pushing but given that enough of them should, in theory, know when things are doomed they might stop/restart/shake things up before then.

Fantastapotamus

Yeah, that's fair.

I would think they'd keep pushing but given that enough of them should, in theory, know when things are doomed they might stop/restart/shake things up before then.

If they loose too many soldiers next time, it's probably over cause the game doesn't give a fuck and keeps getting harder.
At some point it would just be delaying the inevitable which might not be fun to watch.

- J - D -

I'm counting the days until the episode of TEC featuring only Vinny and maybe a cardboard cutout of the other participating beast member.

Teddified

I'd love it if Dan's new character dies immediately, but it's Dan and we know how bad things don't happen to him just the ones around him.

Where is the humor derived from in "I'm just a girl who loves big black fruit" if not in referencing BBC?

Not everything has to be an horrendous affront to some group.

Calm down and move on. Is PewDiePie saying the N word not drama enough for you?

For fuck's sake, Abby making a B-tier joke you'd hear on Jimmie Kimmel Live is not worth stirring shit over.

When we dont have top-tier YouTubers literally referencing Nazis and saying the N word, we can start rounding up people making lame dick jokes.

Zaph

I don't think the courts have made any of this so clear. If anything the way Google enforce the DMCA goes beyond what is legally required in a way that hurts what should be protected fair use.

He's right - Let's Plays have never been tested in court and could easily go either way should they ever be.

Fair Use is a very murky part of the law that's only ever argued as a last resort - and that's exacerbated further by the fact video games in general are a nascent industry that's also not had much courtroom experience (compared to other mediums).

There was a good segment on The Verge's podcast about this a few years ago - their EiC is a former IP lawyer and he explained what an utter mess it all is. There's very good reason Google/Twitch etc were quick to sign deals with pubs and obey their guidelines/takedowns.

Harpuia

Playing through Xcom 2 I've missed the horror aspect and absolute dread that some of Xcom had. Xcom 2 is a little hopeful and uplifting for me; too "hoo-rah" and viva la resistance. I missed the general sense of "Oh fuck we don't know what that is nor how to scientifically explain this" that encounters had in the 1st. Though I do appreciate the nods to the first Xcom in 2.

I'm probably the only person in the world that genuinely cares about the new Xcom story (I do love what I've seen from the older titles). But I think it's a pretty interesting world.

Told you that you wouldn't expect it!

But it makes complete sense to me that he'd be into her and her story.

It's strange. I don't think I've heard of anyone going for Ohya or the fortune teller. In Alex's defense, it sounded like he wanted to go with Takemi, which is a top three choice.

I don't think the courts have made any of this so clear. If anything the way Google enforce the DMCA goes beyond what is legally required in a way that hurts what should be protected fair use.

They haven't. Who would want to be the person who takes it to court and ruins the existing scheme, which basically works?

I agee. The DMCA is basically designed to protect sites like Youtube from users' copyright violations, but they've implemented a clumsy system anyway. My assumption is that they don't want to be sued again, even if they would win. Also, it's probably smart to keep big corporations happy when you sell their movies/songs/etc. and take a cut of each sale.

Why are you phrasing this like what you are stating is a fact and not opinion?

"I think" is frequently implicit when talking to ther people. But fine, it's not like I'm talking shit about a game or something. This is a bit more serious, so I'll reel it in a little.

It's my opinion that Let's Plays violate copyright law and are not fair use, so Campo Santo isn't abusing the system by filing takedowns against shithead racist Pewdiepie. I also enjoy many LPs, but that doesn't really change my opinion that this is a very gray area.

Hadn't yet put you on ignore but good Lord now I have.

They haven't. Who would want to be the person who takes it to court and ruins the existing scheme, which basically works?

I agee. The DMCA is basically designed to protect sites like Youtube from users' copyright violations, but they've implemented a clumsy system anyway. My assumption is that they don't want to be sued again, even if they would win. Also, it's probably smart to keep big corporations happy when you sell their movies/songs/etc. and take a cut of each sale.

"I think" is frequently implicit when talking to ther people. But fine, it's not like I'm talking shit about a game or something. This is a bit more serious, so I'll reel it in a little.

It's my opinion that Let's Plays violate copyright law and are not fair use, so Campo Santo isn't abusing the system by filing takedowns against shithead racist Pewdiepie. I also enjoy many LPs, but that doesn't really change my opinion that this is a very gray area.

It is murky, which is another reason I'm uncomfortable with Campo Santo drawing attention to it in a really charged way that could backfire on everyone. I don't particularly care to praise what I consider to be borderline unethical tactics even in opposition to someone I really would like to see humbled.

Ashby

For fuck's sake, Abby making a B-tier joke you'd hear on Jimmie Kimmel Live is not worth stirring shit over.

When we dont have top-tier YouTubers literally referencing Nazis and saying the N word, we can start rounding up people making lame dick jokes.

This is such harmful and irresponsible thinking. Every thing that definitely or possibly contributes to dehumanization should be thoroughly investigated, whether it be outsized or not. A white girl giggling over a BBC reference she herself made is a bad fucking look.

Fantastapotamus

Playing through Xcom 2 I've missed the horror aspect and absolute dread that some of Xcom had. Xcom 2 is a little hopeful and uplifting for me; too "hoo-rah" and viva la resistance. I missed the general sense of "Oh fuck we don't know what that is nor how to scientifically explain this" that encounters had in the 1st. Though I do appreciate the nods to the first Xcom in 2.

I really enjoyed the "resistance" setup in XCOM 2, but I know what you mean with this.
I'm really looking forward to Gollop's new game, that is giving me major Terror from the Deep flashbacks.

I'm probably the only person in the world that genuinely cares about the new Xcom story (I do love what I've seen from the older titles). But I think it's a pretty interesting world.

This only gets worse with WOTC. The mechanics are a clear improvement from XCOM, but it feels more like an avenger raising simulation than a desperate struggle for survival like the previous game.

This is such harmful and irresponsible thinking. Every thing that definitely or possibly contributes to dehumanization should be thoroughly investigated, whether it be outsized or not. A white girl giggling over a BBC reference she herself made is a bad fucking look.

You're right, let's get the UN Human Rights Commission on the case right away!

"Hans, you'll never believe this case! A girl made a big black dick joke! IN PUBLIC!"

Hadn't yet put you on ignore but good Lord now I have.

Thanks for letting me know this feature exists.

Aselith

Sometimes people can explain how something can be problematic without actually thinking the person is offensive. I think it's pretty clear that Ashby was just trying to explain the problem with the joke. It's something to take note of and be mindful of rather than (ironically) getting offended as you have.

I'm sorry Ashby stole your freedom fries by telling you that BBC can be a little iffy.

Sometimes people can explain how something can be problematic without actually thinking the person is offensive. I think it's pretty clear that Ashby was just trying to explain the problem with the joke. It's something to take note of and be mindful of rather than (ironically) getting offended as you have.

You do realize that Patrick's 'Woke Gamer' thing was a joke, right?

Not everything LITERALLY has to be offensive enough to be 'problematic'. We cannot even get past super-obvious bullshit like white supremacy and neo-nazis. I cannot believe anyone is wasting their time getting offended about a BBC joke in 2017.

There are bigger (blacker?) problems to solve, and shit like this makes it harder to solve the real fucking issues.

But seriously, jokes can be problematic when they work via strengthening hurtful sterotypes. 'I like big black fruit' is just a turn-of-phrase on the common BBC phrase. If she said, 'Ben -- that fruit is black, of course it is a big black fruit' then we can talk about 'problematic' things.

Salarians

200.gif

Not everything LITERALLY has to be offensive enough to be 'problematic'. We cannot even get past super-obvious bullshit like white supremacy and neo-nazis. I cannot believe anyone is wasting their time getting offended about a BBC joke in 2017.

There are bigger (blacker?) problems to solve, and shit like this makes it harder to solve the real fucking issues.

I don't think you understand what the woke gamer joke was. It was mocking people who get outraged, but don't do anything about it and those that equivocate with bullshit "both sides" arguments. It wasn't about people talking about statements that may or may not be problematic. Like do you really think Patrick is into bits meant to mock people that are uncomfortable with race based jokes?

Aselith

Some of us can multitask. Is it really so hard to remove BBC from your set? I know you have a solid 15 going but just stretch the "everyone is offended all the time cause I can't even make women driver jokes anymore" bit, right?

I don't think you understand what the woke gamer joke was. It was mocking people who get outraged, but don't do anything about it and those that equivocate with bullshit "both sides" arguments. It wasn't about people talking about statements that may or may not be problematic. Like do you really think Patrick is into bits meant to mock people that are uncomfortable with race based jokes?

Complaining about a sub-Tom Green dick joke on a forum when real Neo Nazis are protesting in the streets sure seems like getting outraged and doing nothing to me.

Some of us can multitask. Is it really so hard to remove BBC from your set? I know you have a solid 15 going but just stretch the "everyone is offended all the time cause I can't even make women driver jokes anymore" bit, right?

But woman driver jokes are denigrating to women. Saying 'Big black fruit' is just fucking referencing the BBC phrase. It's the fucking Problematic Associative Principle.

You're basically saying it's offensive to joke about woman drivers (sure), AND to joke about woman driver jokes.

Next up it'll become problematic to joke about how someone joked about something being problematic.

imBask

Banned

why are you referencing a women driver joke when nobody made one of those?

why is that thought on your mind?

why is that the thing that popped up in your head and why do you think it's ok to reference it even as an example?

do you have something to tell us Aselith?

Complaining about a sub-Tom Green dick joke on a forum when real Neo Nazis are protesting in the streets sure seems like getting outraged and doing nothing to me.

Yeah, no. If you want to do this don't invoke people that aren't likely to agree with your attempts to downplay concerns. I don't particularly find the joke offensive, but I'm not black and someone posting about it on a goddamn neogaf thread is certainly not something I am going to spend time trying to rail against. The people you have been quoting have been pretty even keeled about it, saying that no one should express concerns about anything as long as Nazis exist is a bad response.

Ashby

I legit want to know more about this. How so?

It commoditizes black men. It reframes black men as little more than sexual props or as a "thing" for white women to giggle about amongst themselves. White men don't receive this treatment, don't have their genitalia reduced to a punchline (Asian men of course suffer from this as well) or as some sort of exotic item. They're men, they have penises. Any race-associated embellishments on top of that are damaging.

Top Bottom