• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

After looking at it long and hard, my solution for this feature isn't them earnestly playing the game, the solution is to stop the series. Even with them shooting the shit for an hour, half of that is Ben saying the same jokes from last episode while commenting on disney content. It's repeated commentary. They have dropped other series before and this one can go to.

"I don't like this thing they do, they need to stop!"

Just. Don't. Watch.

See how simple that is?

I wrote a script for myself that downloads all GB videos. I blacklisted every video with 'DOTA' and 'Quick Look EX' in the title. I don't go running to forums to post long diatribes on how they should not do that content because I don't like it.

Of course not all GB content is good. Look at anything related to DOTA.

Them earnestly playing Kingdom Hearts would be bad, and quite worse than Kingdom Heartache.

I enjoy Heartache as I can play a game and listen to Ben and someone else shoot the shit for an hour.

In general, I'm really sick of people here shitting on content they don't like -- such as UPF.

You don't have to watch every video they put out. If you don't like it, go watch something else and stop shitting up this thread on hot take #6254738 on why UPF/KH/etc is terrible.

Notice how the majority of people don't care for DOTA, but are considerate enough to leave their anti-DOTA-content comments to playful snark? Get the hint.

This is a discussion thread about GB content. Random off-topic shit takes up enough space here that it is pretty ridiculous to complain about people posting about the thread topic. Take your own advice and ignore it if it bothers you.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member

Just. Don't. Watch.

See how simple that is?

The problem with this general "don't watch" answer is that they are still wasting time and resources on a series that is dropping in viewer count. Why not spend that time and resources on something everyone can enjoy?

oti

Banned

Just. Don't. Watch.

See how simple that is?

I wrote a script for myself that downloads all GB videos. I blacklisted every video with 'DOTA' and 'Quick Look EX' in the title. I don't go running to forums to post long diatribes on how they should not do that content because I don't like it.

You're not wrong, but that's not really the point of discussing video formats.

I hope people realize that this feature will take forever to conclude as well.

Pew stuff

Nl0ax5i.png

The problem with this general "don't watch" answer is that they are still wasting time and resources on a series that is dropping in viewer count. Why not spend that time and resources on something everyone can enjoy?

Then the complaint goes to "Why do they not do new series? It's always Quick Looks/Breaking Brad/Game Tapes/etc..."

It's been 6 episodes of KH. There is some I'll time for it to settle out and find a solid footing. How many Demo Derby's were there before Jeff became a staple of them?

Then the complaint goes to "Why do they not do new series? It's always Quick Looks/Breaking Brad/Game Tapes/etc..."

It's been 6 episodes of KH. There is some I'll time for it to settle out and find a solid footing. How many Demo Derby's were there before Jeff became a staple of them?
This is a fine stance for you to take, but expecting this entire thread to stop criticism because you don't want to see it is missing the entire point of this thread.

And Demo Derby was good from the very start and never needed to find its footing.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
This is a fine stance for you to take, but expecting this entire thread to stop criticism because you don't want to see it is missing the entire point of this thread.

And Demo Derby was good from the very start and never needed to find its footing.

Agreed with this post and the fact that demo derby was good from the start, which makes that another bad comparison to make.

oti

Banned

This is a bad series. It's ok to say so. And comparing this to Demo Derby? Really? The most positive thing I've heard so far is "I like putting it on the background while doing other stuff". Which is fine, I do that all the time too. But it's OK to want more from a West feature than just background noise.

It's a bas idea with bad gimmicks. The numbers will only go down and it will take forever to finish so we could get another new West feature. I'd say do a B game and scrap this. Take this experience and go back to the drawing board for a new feature.

This is a bad series. It's ok to say so. And comparing this to Demo Derby? Really? The most positive thing I've heard so far is "I like putting it on the background while doing other stuff". Which is fine, I do that all the time too. But it's OK to want more from a West feature than just background noise.

It's a bas idea with bad gimmicks. The numbers will only go down and it will take forever to finish so we could get another new West feature. I'd say do a B game and scrap this. Take this experience and go back to the drawing board for a new feature.

I suppose my point here is that it's Ben's first series, and it's only 6 episodes old. Let him keep experimenting. I think the loss of the 'tricking people into being co-hosts' bit will help the series. Perhaps if he just finds a stable co-chair it will solidify into a better series.

I look forward to a new producer joining, and I hope they become an on-camera presence. I think I agree with most that West seems to be in a rut lately since Drew left and Dan moved. All the 'personalities' (besides Rorie) at West are low-key -- which does not work when they don't have someone high-energy to work off off, like Dan.

In particular, I think Jason is... a very bad fit at GB without Dan. Without their relationship/synergy, Jason is just the dude who drolly rambles on about fighting games and esoteric Japanese games.

I could somewhat tolerate the DOTA discussions, as Brad/Ben at least attempt to deep-dive into why they like the games, and to explain and discuss that to those not into DOTA or MOBAs. I really hate any fighting game discussion that Jason/Jeff/Ben have, as it's just 'Fighting Game X is good because it has esoteric fighting game mechanism Y. OMG!!!!!'

Man I don't care about fighting games...

I really hope the new hire doesn't lean towards fighting games or MOBAs. I really think West is overstaffed towards those minor gaming segments as it is.

I thought today's KH episode was up there with Rorie/David/Jason pairings. Very enjoyable except for the last third but that's more because of the game rather than the people in the video. Then again it depends what you're coming to KH for since the game has not aged well, at all.
I dunno the context but...

...whats the context. She being racist?

No.

My Premium ran out today. I think I'll stay non-Premium for a while and see how that goes.

MAAAAAAAAAAAAAN I WANT THIS

Would they make a feature out of a hack like this though?

There's probably not enough there for a recurring feature, but a playdate wouldn't be weird. GB has played other hacks on camera like that Just Cause 2 multiplayer.

Xater

I also checked back in with Swery's Fig campaign. Why am I doing this to myself? It's just sad to look at. 😭

Jyrii

Banned
I just got premium for the first time.

Is there a way to remember video position? The youtube vids seem to be able to start from last position, but the GB ones not.

I guess I can do it manually by using the share-button with time stamp, but automation would be nicer.

I just got premium for the first time.

Is there a way to remember video position? The youtube vids seem to be able to start from last position, but the GB ones not.

I guess I can do it manually by using the share-button with time stamp, but automation would be nicer.

GB video player remembers video position, it's just kind of finicky with it. Usually it works fine but sometimes it forgets my position.

Jyrii

Banned
Nevermind. I just realized I had "clear session" setting on CCleaner. Now it seems to work (better).

Though I wonder if it shutting down computer will also clear the position.

imBask

Banned
Nevermind. I just realized I had "clear session" setting on CCleaner. Now it seems to work (better)

I would recommend just pausing the video before closing the tab/browser, I suspect the player saves at a specific interval, but also saves on pause

Harpuia

On the one hand I get it. Pew is a racist asshole and you don't want to be associated, but in the other hand that would be a takedown abuse.

eh. to his point, dude has been given a lot of chances to clean his act up. someone needs to step in and teach him this shit is unnacceptable.

Xater

eh. to his point, dude has been given a lot of chances to clean his act up. someone needs to step in and teach him this shit is unnacceptable.

I am certainly not concerned about what happens to that asshole, more what can of worms it might open to good honest people in the platform.

Harpuia

I can see the legal battle Jeff and Vinny forsee finally bursting open over pewdiepie or some other similarly popular star.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Don't know why Abby isn't getting any criticism in here for that "big black fruit" joke.

Joke wasn't offensive enough to warrant criticism. I just laughed at it myself, more because I didn't expect her to go that route with it but she stuck through the whole joke.

Ashby

Fetishization of black men's genitals isn't something we should be comfortable joking about. BBC references can and do serve to otherize black men as savages. No one is calling Abby a bad person. Try to examine this stuff just a little bit before reflexively going on the defense.

Strax

I started working at youth center for 14-16 year olds in a pretty upscale neighbourhood recently and I've been talking to them alot about video games/movies/TV shows. Two things I wasn't expecting.

1. Nobody I talked to had even heard about the Switch.

2. We hosted a LAN party on Friday after school and 10 kids showed up, out of possible 250. I went to a school (12 years ago) of similar size and culture/background and we would never go lower then 60 kids.

Fetishization of black men's genitals isn't something we should be comfortable joking about. BBC references can and do serve to otherize black men as savages. No one is calling Abby a bad person. Try to examine this stuff just a little bit before reflexively going on the defense.

Yep that’s totally what happened in that clip, good catch.

I also checked back in with Swery's Fig campaign. Why am I doing this to myself? It's just sad to look at. ��

Yeah I did that today too. Yoko Taro and Yu Suzuki get to make their crazy niche games, let SWERY get his!

I started working at youth center for 14-16 year olds in a pretty upscale neighbourhood recently and I've been talking to them alot about video games/movies/TV shows. Two things I wasn't expecting.

1. Nobody I talked to had even heard about the Switch.

2. We hosted a LAN party on Friday after school and 10 kids showed up, out of possible 250. I went to a school of similar size and culture/background and we would never go lower then 60 kids.
I'm more surprised any kids know wtf a LAN party is.

Top Bottom