• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

Snagret

At least Dan was playing a bit more team-focused this time around, and him being a sniper means he won't be crippling the group as much by keeping himself in the back lines the whole time.

The thing they really got to watch out for is sending one character off to a side path to "flank". It's a good way to have one guy get stranded and accidentally trigger a group of enemies they can't deal with by themselves. Flank bonuses are finicky anyways and not worth the risk, imo.

Zaph

If Dan wasn't being Dan, we'd just have a pseudo-Exquisite Corps with Vinny playing by-proxy and we'd reach a safe, boring ending after too many episodes.

patapuf

If Dan wasn't being Dan, we'd just have a pseudo-Exquisite Corps with Vinny playing by-proxy and we'd reach a safe, boring ending after too many episodes.

I don't mind Dan but no way do they make a safe, boring ending if they try to play seriously.

They are not good enough at the game for that. Vinny included.

Snagret

There's still enough ways the playthrough could break bad that it doesn't really need Dan to intervene. I also feel like just recreating a character everytime they die kind of breaks the spirit of the series.

The Dan episodes don't really make me mad or anything, but it's a lot more fun to watch the drama of Abby/Alex take an earnest stab at the game than to watch Dan preserve his main character.

Hasney

giphy.gif

Vinnys advice hasn't been nearly good enough to make it to even the end game. Now we just get a predictable and boring early crash and burn which we all knew was coming since Dan moved a mouse.

I want to like Kingdom Heartache but I mostly find myself skipping through the episode in 5 second increments to see when they make progess. The jokes aren't really landing for me, although maybe that's the point? I'm not really into anti-humor so idk.

I don't mind Ben shitting on the game too much because it hasn't aged great, but I feel like this series would be more focused and fun if the GB staff had a KH fan who knew the games and could help guide Ben through some of the more confusing stages (Like Dan's role in Metal Gear Scanlon). Sorry if all of this has been discussed, I just got around to watching the most recent episode.

I thought last episode was at least okay since a) it was Abby and b) she was actually asking questions about the game and tangential Disney related stuff.

patapuf

At least they have a half decent chance at surviving the terror mission. Which means i look forward to Abby screaming as chryssalids eat the exquisite corps alive.

Zaph

I don't mind Dan but no way do they make a safe, boring ending if they try to play seriously.

They are not good enough at the game for that. Vinny included.

Nah none of them are actually good enough for that.

Vinnys advice hasn't been nearly good enough to make it to even the end game. Now we just get a predictable and boring early crash and burn which we all knew was coming since Dan moved a mouse.

I think you guys are really overselling EW's difficulty. Vinny's skill level is more than fine.

Now if this was Xcom 2? That game's a real fucker.
GfdPBAf.png

Hasney

I'm just going to skip any video game podcast without timestamps for a while until Destiny dies down at least with people not named Brad or Mark at 8-4 Play. If you're not in the zeitgeist it's pretty dull, then you kind of want some surprise if you are tempted to get in but the version you want doesn't launch for 6 weeks yet.

Meguro

Banned
It is kinda weird that we didn't get any coverage on the XCOM 2 expansion at all.
From what I've seen it looks really good.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I don't think Vinny's advice is THAT bad.
Except for the flanking thing, especially with those invisible mfs around.
Splitting your team up too much is never a good idea

LiK

I'm just going to skip any video game podcast without timestamps for a while until Destiny dies down at least with people not named Brad or Mark at 8-4 Play. If you're not in the zeitgeist it's pretty dull, then you kind of want some surprise if you are tempted to get in but the version you want doesn't launch for 6 weeks yet.

Better than PUBG talk. That shit is almost every week for the past few months.

Hasney

Better than PUBG talk. That shit is almost every week for the past few months.

Yeah, but most of the time it's been short other than after the first couple of streams. Plus the way it built up with Jeff being the only one to put real time into it to start with.

With everyone getting in on the ground floor and there being progression to spoil, it makes it hard to want to listen to.

LiK

Yeah, but most of the time it's been short other than after the first couple of streams. Plus the way it built up with Jeff being the only one to put real time into it to start with.

With everyone getting in on the ground floor and there being progression to spoil, it makes it hard to want to listen to.

Hey, look for Jeff's Destiny 2 hot takes if he has any. Cuz his D1 hot takes were some of my favorite Bombcast moments.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I don't mind Destiny 2 talk for now. It's still a new game and as said will hopefully replace PUBG talk for awhile.

Honestly though I always feel like PUBG talk is more prevalent on the beastcast anyway.

patapuf

I think you guys are really overselling EW's difficulty. Vinny's skill level is more than fine.

Now if this was Xcom 2? That game's a real fucker.

Xcom 2 is obviously harder, but EW is more difficult than the base game too. Let's not forget that none of them have done an Ironman run before and while veteran ironman is very doable if you are familiar with the mechanics they are clearly not - including Vinny. They barely understand how cover and flanking works, nevermind the other mechanics.

Also, Alex is the only one that manages to not loose people during a mission (though he was lucky in spots). Abbys deathcount is even higher than Dans.

Dan changing all the characters is making me actually annoyed in a way him playing badly did not.

Yeah. If he wants new guys he should train some recruits.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I was actually probably going to try Destiny out, except two things happened:

-The delayed PC launch means my brother is playing on PS4 right now instead, so he likely won't play on PC, so we likely won't play together

-The reaction to Destiny 2 has been more...muted than I expected. During their GOTY talks 2014 Brad said that "Destiny would be the game of the year if there was more of it". Destiny 2 sounds like they made more of it, and it doesn't sound like Game of the Year. I mean that's not entirely fair, the novelty value is largely gone so you just lose some of that new toy excitement, but still...

Snagret

Man I'd love a Diablo 2 Remastered
I couldn't get into the Starcraft one because of the archaic mechanics, in spite of how great the visual overhaul of the game is. I think Diablo 2 would hold up a lot better if it got the same treatment.
Xcom 2 is obviously harder, but EW is more difficult than the base game too. Let's not forget that none of them have done an Ironman run before and while veteran ironman is very doable if you are familiar with the mechanics they are clearly not - including Vinny. They barely understand how cover and flanking works, nevermind the other mechanics.

Also, Alex is the only one that manages to not loose people during a mission (though he was lucky in spots). Abbys deathcount is even higher than Dans.

Yeah. If he wants new guys he should train some recruits.
Vinny's advice has gotten a lot better since Abby's team-wipe. There was a lot of bad info flying around in that episode.

patapuf

Vinny's advice has gotten a lot better since Abby's team-wipe. There was a lot of bad info flying around in that episode.

It has and it's why they still have a glimmer of hope. All of them are learning and getting better.

It's just that their early game went badly enough that reaching the endgame - should it come to that - will in no way be boring, even if Vinny plays the whole remaining campaign by himself .

LiK

I was actually probably going to try Destiny out, except two things happened:

-The delayed PC launch means my brother is playing on PS4 right now instead, so he likely won't play on PC, so we likely won't play together

-The reaction to Destiny 2 has been more...muted than I expected. During their GOTY talks 2014 Brad said that "Destiny would be the game of the year if there was more of it". Destiny 2 sounds like they made more of it, and it doesn't sound like Game of the Year. I mean that's not entirely fair, the novelty value is largely gone so you just lose some of that new toy excitement, but still...

I dunno who you follow but it's been getting rave reviews on my end. Also check out gaming podcasts talking about it this week after people finished the story campaign.

kiguel182

Can't believe Dan was going to rename Brad...

His roleplay stuff also affects the way he plays which can't be good. It's more frustrating than entertaining.

I'm definetly curious how Abby will handle things next week!

Edit: Replacing Lang was also a shitty move. It takes away some of the fun of the feature.

Wunder

I couldn't get into the Starcraft one because of the archaic mechanics, in spite of how great the visual overhaul of the game is. I think Diablo 2 would hold up a lot better if it got the same treatment.

I wonder how a Diablo 2 remaster would work since that game was plagued with duping and hacks. Would still be cool to just jump in with friends and play but it would be another level of amazing if there was a functional community around it.

I also hope Vinny reiterates his advice to Abby since most of what he said to Dan was because of Abby's mistakes

I'm so behind on my podcasts, so is Destiny 2 good? In some ways it's kind of tempting but I do currently live in the Bavarian farm lands with shitty internet.

LiK

I'm so behind on my podcasts, so is Destiny 2 good? In some ways it's kind of tempting but I do currently live in the Bavarian farm lands with shitty internet.

I played it all weekend and I don't have enough sleep.Yes, it's great. Huge improvement over D1.

LiK

Seems pretty good, but the shader system is a big point of contention.

It's negligible in the grand scheme of things. Still sucks that they changed the system but at least you can change the shaders for literally everything now including weapons and ships.

Top Bottom