• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

Tubobutts

not yet but I know there's a second Dan now, which I still think is pretty funny

y'all are taking Xcom way too seriously and that's the danger with this particular game. It's the type of game that relies heavily on "creating your own stories" so it's pretty easy to get angry at them for not following the same path you'd follow
You should watch the episode then.

LiK

I thought the 'Abby hates stories' thing was a quote of her taken out of context and that she's actually fine with stories in games when she thinks it makes sense to have one. It's why the Beastcrew ribs her for it now and again.

You realize it's a joke (that is maybe a little shitty to continue?), right? It's just that she doesn't care about the stories for some games and is willing to skip cutscenes if so.

I mean, she's playing and enjoying Pyre. Pyre is basically a visual novel with a ton of lore more often than not.

She reiterated her disinterest in lore on Waypoint's most recent podcast. Not a joke. That's just not her thing in most games.

Abby should just name everybody Dan next episode and just have the entire Corps run blindly at the enemy.

Lore can be ignored, story mostly not?

Destiny had a small amount of poorly written story in the game that explained none of the lore and some interesting lore in the grimoire. Desiny 2 has more story but it's just as poorly written as it was in the first game with next to zero lore explained anywhere.

swimbuff

not yet but I know there's a second Dan now, which I still think is pretty funny

y'all are taking Xcom way too seriously and that's the danger with this particular game. It's the type of game that relies heavily on "creating your own stories" so it's pretty easy to get angry at them for not following the same path you'd follow

"Not following the same path you'd follow" is not the complaint being levied at all. I think the complaints will make more sense once you watch the episode as it's more something Dan did about the meta than about how he plays the game.

imBask

Banned
"Not following the same path you'd follow" is not the complaint being levied at all. I think the complaints will make more sense once you watch the episode as it's more something Dan did about the meta than about how he plays the game.

Alright we'll see, I will gladly eat my hat and admit it if i'm wrong about this one

*I won't eat a hat

I swear it seems like Abby has never played any games ever.

Every week on the Beastcast she just seems confused when most games are mentioned.
Now it seems like she has never played a Sonic game?
The mind boggles.

I have barely played any sonic game (Besides Adventure 2... got into the whole chao thing) and I have been gaming since before I could talk. Everyone has gaps in their gaming knowledge, regardless of how "hardcore" you are.

BTA

She reiterated her disinterest in lore on Waypoint's most recent podcast. Not a joke. That's just not her thing in most games.

There's a difference between not caring about story and not caring about Destiny's item descriptions, which is what she was talking about. Again, Pyre is largely just story and lore (all of which is great), and she's playing that.

paul187

Lore can be ignored, story mostly not?

I can relate to Abby. Videogame stories for the most part are terrible and i dont want to waste my time watching them. So I will skip them whenever i feel i can. Bayonetta 2 is one of my favourote games and i skipped every single cutscene.

I can't believe Dan wants his avatar to be trapped in a sisyphean survival cycle.

The good news is that the Character Pool feature in XCOM 2 will render this stuff pointless; they'll have their pregenerated pool and that's it. The bad news is that War of the Chosen's poster creator will cost them a lot of time.

Wunder

The good news is that the Character Pool feature in XCOM 2 will render this stuff pointless; they'll have their pregenerated pool and that's it. The bad news is that War of the Chosen's poster creator will cost them a lot of time.

you can still customize all your soldiers though, so it won't stop Dan from remaking himself by Face Offing another soldier

LiK

I can relate to Abby. Videogame stories for the most part are terrible and i dont want to waste my time watching them. So I will skip them whenever i feel i can. Bayonetta 2 is one of my favourote games and i skipped every single cutscene.

wut, you skipped the ridiculous cutscenes. They were so fun.

Dan literally thinks Metal Gear is the greatest story ever told and we're worried about Abby?

Vinny would buy sixty boxes of pop tarts if you told him that there was a great bit of Mass Effect lore in each wrapper, Dan's only criteria for stories is 'cool guy shit' and Jeff's a bit hard to impress, I think that Brad or Alex are in/near the sweet spot in terms of similarities to me.

Doesn't mean the others are invalid, just in it for different.

Because there's nothing worse than old games.

yStGImc.gif

paul187

wut, you skipped the ridiculous cutscenes. They were so fun.

They were too ridiculous for me. I skipped them all in Bayo1 and continued the trend for part 2.

Dan literally thinks Metal Gear is the greatest story ever told and we're worried about Abby?

Hahahaha. MGS4 was definitely one of the catalysts for me not caring about stories anymore. Dan's genuine love for the story baffles me.

LowRoller

Vinny would buy sixty boxes of pop tarts if you told him that there was a great bit of Mass Effect lore in each wrapper, Dan's only criteria for stories is 'cool guy shit' and Jeff's a bit hard to impress, I think that Brad or Alex are in/near the sweet spot in terms of similarities to me.

Doesn't mean the others are invalid, just in it for different.
It is the best story ever told in any medium. It's a genre defining epic. The music, voice acting and gameplay all came together perfectly with the mgs series.

Chaser324

Banned
I was willing to defend Dan in his first Exquisite Corps outing as him just being bad at the game and not actively trying to screw things up. That same defense can't be applied to this episode.

Renaming a character is a deliberate action that really stomps on the sort of storytelling, roleplaying, and character building that XCOM and the Exquisite Corps series is built upon.

Lari

One of my friends from college was nuts about Metal Gear too. She played all the games over and over and even got the platinum trophy for the HD collection.
She tried to explain the story to me once and it ended poorly.

I like story based games like Life Is Strange, but generally I don't care for most games' stories. Even my favorite series Resident Evil, I don't care for the story at all.

Zeroro

I was willing to defend Dan in his first Exquisite Corps outing as him just being bad at the game and not actively trying to screw things up. That same defense can't be applied to this episode.

Renaming a character is a deliberate action that really stomps on the sort of storytelling, roleplaying, and character building that XCOM and the Exquisite Corps series is built upon.

There's nothing stopping Abby from renaming Dan back to Langzone...!

I can't imagine Vinny thought he'd have to enact rules on whether you can go back to change characters after their initial creation, but he's probably gonna have to due to Dan's antics, lol.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Do we have something like poe's law except instead of nazis it's trump?

I must say part of the fun of Dan episodes is looking through the comments.

edit: hmmm, seems like the guy deleted his comment so out of respect I probably shouldn't show it too.

Stoze

Isn't Night in the Woods one of Abby's favorites this year? I'm guessing she doesn't flat out dislike storytelling/writing in games, but can tell when it's good or interesting enough to become invested in like a sensible person.
The only thing Dan did in Xcom that really irks me so far is that he
replaced langzone
The fucked up thing is Dan didn't even attempt to
remake Lang
It is the best story ever told in any medium.
If best story ever told in any medium actually means a campy sci-fi espionage videogamey-ass story so convoluted and bizarre it manages to somehow skip over being completely terrible and becomes entertaining instead, sure.

BTA

I'm incapable of skipping cutscenes because I am definitely a story person but I will only half pay attention to things if I don't care, I guess.

Bayonetta is not a series you should do that for though. The story's a bit of a mess but the things that happen in them, holy shit.

Lari

Comparing a guy to Trump because he did something you dislike in a gameplay video?

Sure, that's reasonable.

The fucked up thing is Dan didn't even attempt to
remake Lang

Yes, totally.

I'm incapable of skipping cutscenes because I am definitely a story person but I will only half pay attention to things if I don't care, I guess.

Same, I usually do not care for stories, but i'll watch most cutscenes. Sometimes there will be a good moment or two that are worth watching.

Picked up Dan's latest book again last night and man, what the hell is this dude's life! A really entertaining read so far (just finished the George Clinton chapter)! It's would be hard to believe the stories if they came from someone, literally anyone, other than Dan.

Nishastra

Banned
Isn't Night in the Woods one of Abby's favorites this year? I'm guessing she doesn't flat out dislike storytelling/writing in games, but can tell when it's good or interesting enough to become invested in like a sensible person.
It seems to me that she's 100% okay with story games, but in any game that has action she pays no attention to the story no matter what.

I remember when they all started talking about Wolfenstein: The New Order after the new game was announced, she started playing it and when they asked how far she was she really had no idea because she had been skipping/not paying attention to the cutscenes, while everyone else was talking about the story.

swimbuff

Dan is both the best and worst thing that has happened to this site.

I'm kidding, I have my complaints but I think Dan's fantastic.

Also helps that NitW is millennial as fuck.

It's also why I love it.

I think you may have unsold me on the game. But then again, Alex likes it too so maybe it isn't the off-putting type of millennial stuff?

Mr. F

Banned
Out of curiousity, what other gaming podcasts do people listen to outside the GB family? I decided to give the Polygon Show a shot a few weeks ago as I'd been following more of their video content as of late and I gotta say, the all-female lineup is pretty rad. After listening to GB and GB-adjacent shows for a while its been interesting hearing how different outlets approach talking about games, and their enthusiasm is pretty infectious.

Out of curiousity, what other gaming podcasts do people listen to outside the GB family? I decided to give the Polygon Show a shot a few weeks ago as I'd been following more of their video content as of late and I gotta say, the all-female lineup is pretty rad. After listening to GB and GB-adjacent shows for a while its been interesting hearing how different outlets approach talking about games, and their enthusiasm is pretty infectious.

Mega64 podcast, SuperMega podcast, Joe Rogan Experience, and sometimes, the GameOverGreggy Show.

Nishastra

Banned
I looove the Polygon Show. It's what I go to first on Fridays. They get hate from all sides for being Polygon, being women, and being a rambly-whatever type podcast, but I think they're the best.

I don't really have any suggestions, though. I just listen to the Polygon Show, Waypoint, and the Beastcast for gaming stuff.

Top Bottom