• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

BTA

Maybe ignoring some of the squad's abilities aside (I hope they review them next time?) that went surprisingly well.

Swery is the man indeed.

KingKong

D2 you say? I'm so gad everyone on Giant Bomb are finishing up Dishonored 2 before the standalone expansion comes out for goty discussions

bjork

If you're not in the zeitgeist it's pretty dull

I don't mind it unless it goes super long. There was that one episode around the release of Destiny 1 where it was like a solid hour of talking about it, it was a bit much. The recent long talks about the international felt that way for me too, because I've never played Dota. But it's nice when they're pumped for something, so there's that.

TheChits

D2_Video_Game.jpg

Would love to hear this or Diablo 2 discussed.

I'm trying to find the humour in Dan's heel gimmick in Xcom, but I just can't. It's just unpleasant to watch. Exquisite Corpse is my favourite current feature when Alex and Abby are playing, but I haven't been able to sit through either times that Dan has played. It's just not fun watching him being a shit

LiK

I'm trying to find the humour in Dan's heel gimmick in Xcom, but I just can't. It's just unpleasant to watch. Exquisite Corpse is my favourite current feature when Alex and Abby are playing, but I haven't been able to sit through either times that Dan has played. It's just not fun watching him being a shit

I'm way behind but this sounds real shitty. Time for Vinny to put his foot down.

derFeef

Yeah it's tiresome. Nothing worth is coming out of his attitude. It's just bad.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I honestly believe Dan is just incompetent at Xcom.

Xcom is really hard if you don't know what you're doing

Eh he didn't even really play that badly this episode (though some of it is RNGesus being kind to him).

It's more the stuff external to the battles this time. :p

It isn't that he's bad at the game (no one in the Beast crew is particularly good). It's that he has an incessant need to make everything about himself. Abby wisely realised that constantly remaking herself in the game would grow tired and instead made other people, whereas Dan couldn't resist not being the centre of attention. It's hard to get invested on who lives and dies when you know it won't matter come Dan's turn since he'll just turn the best veteran into Dan Ryckert the 7th

BTA

The problem is more that 1. unlike Abby he's played the games enough that he should actually know better and 2. he spins his incompetence into how he acts in a way that makes it hard to tell whether he's doing things to protect his character(s) first or if he made an honest mistake.

dan2026

I swear it seems like Abby has never played any games ever.

Every week on the Beastcast she just seems confused when most games are mentioned.
Now it seems like she has never played a Sonic game?
The mind boggles.

Antiwhippy

i can just imagine the soul calibur battles he had with his friends

People forgot about this is the run already?

Every week on the Beastcast she just seems confused when most games are mentioned.
The mind boggles.

What's wrong with that? I've never played a sonic game either.

derFeef

It isn't that he's bad at the game (no one in the Beast crew is particularly good). It's that he has an incessant need to make everything about himself. Abby wisely realised that constantly remaking herself in the game would grow tired and instead made other people, whereas Dan couldn't resist not being the centre of attention. It's hard to get invested on who lives and dies when you know it won't matter come Dan's turn since he'll just turn the best veteran into Dan Ryckert the 7th

Yup. I could not be around such an egocentric person for more than 10 minutes.
ME ME ME AMERICA ME ME is all I hear from Dan lately...

Harpuia

The mind boggles.

I mean that's not out of the ordinary. I haven't played an actual classic Sonic game to completion.

imBask

Banned
eh I guess you're all right, he does play it up sure, I don't have a problem with it tho so idk I think it adds to the narrative and that's what xcom is all about

Nishastra

Banned
eh I guess you're all right, he does play it up sure, I don't have a problem with it tho so idk I think it adds to the narrative and that's what xcom is all about
Actively erasing parts of the narrative is not really adding to the narrative.

It becomes meaningless if there's no continuity, and it didn't have that much meaning to begin with.

The thing with most of the times he plays a heel is that it works because some other crew member's goal is to defeat him (e.g. Mario Party Party and This Is The Run) but with this one there is no way Dan gets punished without punishing the good guys too.

oti

Banned

The mind boggles.

Out of all franchises you could base this on you chose to base this on Sonic.

swimbuff

I felt Vinny was quieter this episode and had to reluctantly let Dan be Dan on principle because the series is about letting the commanders do what they want. Though the Brad thing was clearly going too far. It makes people less invested in the characters if they can make that kind of changes willy nilly and Vinny knows that. Or maybe I'm just projecting.

I'm normally on board with Dan's heel shtick but this particular one didn't land with me and I thought it was lame, for the reason above.

Antiwhippy

Also people acting surprised that Abby hasn't played any old games, like you gotta remember the first 3 games are old ass games. Abby wasn't even born when they released.

Like the only relevant sonic out for Abby's generation is like... adventure?

Don't blame us for not looking back.

LiK

Most young YouTubers have channels dedicated to old games that even I never played myself. Just depends on what people want to play. Abby probably doesn't care for older games.

hamchan

I played the first Sonic game on my 3DS a few days ago.

I finished Green Hill Zone and my thoughts are that Sonic feels like ass to control, I can't react fast enough to obstacles from the right of the screen when he goes fast and there are portions where you hit a wall and lose all momentum which just feels terrible.

derFeef

Most young YouTubers have channels dedicated to old games that even I never played myself. Just depends on what people want to play. Abby probably doesn't care for older games.

But older games have way less story. I mean, really older games - perfect for Abby! :D

edit: I can't spell/write today. Signing off.

BTA

Also people acting surprised that Abby hasn't played any old games, like you gotta remember the first 3 games are old ass games. Abby wasn't even born when they released.

Like the only relevant sonic out for Abby's generation is like... adventure?

Don't blame us for not looking back.

Yeah, I'm a couple years younger than Abby and the only reason I grew up playing Sonic games was my mom owning a Genesis.

I don't mind Destiny 2 talk for now. It's still a new game and as said will hopefully replace PUBG talk for awhile.

Honestly though I always feel like PUBG talk is more prevalent on the beastcast anyway.

We will have Destiny 2 talk for the next 12 months.

I played the first Sonic game on my 3DS a few days ago.

I finished Green Hill Zone and my thoughts are that Sonic feels like ass to control, I can't react fast enough to obstacles from the right of the screen when he goes fast and there are portions where you hit a wall and lose all momentum which just feels terrible.

Welcome to every sonic game, ever.

dan2026

It just feels like whenever they ask her 'have you played this?' Or 'have you heard of this?'
She's like 'nope, never heard of it'.

At this point I have to wonder if she's even played Super Mario Bros.

LiK

But older games have way less story. I mean, really older games - perfect for Abby! :D

edit: I can't spell/write today. Signing off.

Haha, I love Abby but her hate/disinterest about game stories/lore hurts me. A complete opposite of Vinny.

paul187

Dan on the podcasts is great. Watching him play anything gets to me though. Hes such a weasel. I dont know and other way to put it.

Mr. F

Banned

The mind boggles.

Vinny and Dan had never played those Nancy Drew games so checkmate

imBask

Banned
Actively erasing parts of the narrative is not really adding to the narrative.

It becomes meaningless if there's no continuity, and it didn't have that much meaning to begin with.

It's just not the narrative you'd want. It's still a narrative, Commander Vinny and Commander Navarro died in battle and got replaced, that's how xcom goes

swimbuff

Haha, I love Abby but her hate/disinterest about game stories/lore hurts me. A complete opposite of Vinny.

I thought the 'Abby hates stories' thing was a quote of her taken out of context and that she's actually fine with stories in games when she thinks it makes sense to have one. It's why the Beastcrew ribs her for it now and again.

imBask

Banned
Have you watched this episode?

I don't think that's what he's referring to.

not yet but I know there's a second Dan now, which I still think is pretty funny

y'all are taking Xcom way too seriously and that's the danger with this particular game. It's the type of game that relies heavily on "creating your own stories" so it's pretty easy to get angry at them for not following the same path you'd follow

BTA

You realize it's a joke (that is maybe a little shitty to continue?), right? It's just that she doesn't care about the stories for some games and is willing to skip cutscenes if so.

I mean, she's playing and enjoying Pyre. Pyre is basically a visual novel with a ton of lore more often than not.

Top Bottom