• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

killroy87

is a raid stream actually a confirmed thing?

They already kind of shat the bed by missing a meaningful launch day stream, I hope they try to do a Raid stream.

is a raid stream actually a confirmed thing?

They already kind of shat the bed by missing a meaningful launch day stream, I hope they try to do a Raid stream.

Nothing confirmed, but given Abby, Dan, Jeff, and Brad all seem pretty into Destiny 2, it's gotta happen. Just grab Austin and a sherpa and they'll be good to go.

Out of curiousity, what other gaming podcasts do people listen to outside the GB family? I decided to give the Polygon Show a shot a few weeks ago as I'd been following more of their video content as of late and I gotta say, the all-female lineup is pretty rad. After listening to GB and GB-adjacent shows for a while its been interesting hearing how different outlets approach talking about games, and their enthusiasm is pretty infectious.

Game Informer podcast is the best. My other big gaming podcast is EZA.

no! no sherpa

go in cold

If they can keep Ben interested in the grind long enough, my ideal raid watch would be Jeff, Brad, Austin, Dan, Abby, and Ben with Vinny and Alex providing color commentary.

I think he was already 270+ over the weekend.

Sounds about right. I know there's been no confirmation as to light level requirements for the raid, but seeing as how NF is 240, hopefully they should be fine.

daveo42

Banned
Oh right, Destiny streams and talk are going to be a thing again.
I'm already ready for Destiny to not be a thing again and it's barely started.

killroy87

Haha, I like how half the time we bitch about them never speaking in depth about any games, and then when they play games like Zelda, PUBG, or Destiny enough to talk in-depth, people just want it to end.

BTA

I need to catch up on The Polygon Show, but I like what I've heard a lot. Also started listening to Waypoint Radio again and really enjoy it.

Regarding Before the Storm, I want to check it out but I'm still working out my own feelings regarding supporting the scab voice acting, hmm.

Guys...stop ruining my interest in watching this week's Exquisite Corps.

It's actually pretty tense after the start, honestly; Dan should play more cooperatively still but it goes better than you'd expect.

Yeah, I didn't think Dan could top his last episode, but here we are... I think the thing that actually got me the most was
him giving all the medals to his "new" self insert character no matter what they were for.

Can we have BitE back now?

I don't think that was that bad given that the character actually is pretty important? Honestly giving Swery that medal seemed like a worse decision? But I don't play XCOM so maybe I'm wrong.

I'm just disappointed I have to wait for the PC version and won't be at ground-zero for Des2ny. It really is more fun to play games at the peak of their popularity.

XCORPS is a frustrating feature. There's so much potential, but every Dan episode drops it down a few more notches.

I feel like it could be a GOAT feature if it was set up a little differently. Hopefully XCORPS2 or whatever will rethink the formula a bit; and I don't even mean dropping Dan, but just setting rules to reign him in a bit. And for XCOM 2 specifically (assuming that's where they go next), some kind of training for everyone beforehand so it isn't an instant dirt nap.

Like, I don't want to see perfect play--I want to see their best; I want an Exquisite Corps.
Out of curiousity, what other gaming podcasts do people listen to outside the GB family? I decided to give the Polygon Show a shot a few weeks ago as I'd been following more of their video content as of late and I gotta say, the all-female lineup is pretty rad. After listening to GB and GB-adjacent shows for a while its been interesting hearing how different outlets approach talking about games, and their enthusiasm is pretty infectious.

Just Waypoint Radio, although I'm leaning heavily toward trying Three Moves Ahead.

Rob Zacny is the man.

Wunder

XCORPS is a frustrating feature. There's so much potential, but every Dan episode drops it down a few more notches.

I feel like it could be a GOAT feature if it was set up a little differently. Hopefully XCORPS2 or whatever will rethink the formula a bit; and I don't even mean dropping Dan, but just setting rules to reign him in a bit. And for XCOM 2 specifically (assuming that's where they go next), some kind of training for everyone beforehand so it isn't an instant dirt nap.

Like, I don't want to see perfect play--I want to see their best; I want an Exquisite Corps.

Just Waypoint Radio, although I'm leaning heavily toward trying Three Moves Ahead.

Rob Zacny is the man.

It needs to be way more often too!

daveo42

Banned
Haha, I like how half the time we bitch about them never speaking in depth about any games, and then when they play games like Zelda, PUBG, or Destiny enough to talk in-depth, people just want it to end.

My issues with Destiny is that everything Bungie did with the first game soured me on everything related to Destiny, regardless of how improved Destiny 2 is or that they fixed all the issues of the first game. If people like the game, cool. I just don't want listen to hours of commentary on the same game that I couldn't care less about. It's part of the reason why I stopped listening to 8-4 because they would spend half their podcast just talking about Destiny. I expect I'll be zoning out or just bypassing large portions of the Bombcast as they ramp up their "Destiny is cool and shit" talk over the next several months.

It just does not interest me in any way.

Rob Zacny is the man.

Isn't there a way to play Ironman, but on an easier difficulty? Normal on XCOM 2 was a bizarre struggle in terms of shot chances.

xanavi

I highly recommend Frame Trap from the Easy Allies boys. It's a three hour podcast every other week of mostly game impressions. It's my number 3 gaming podcast after the GB stuff.

ev0

It's part of the reason why I stopped listening to 8-4 because they would spend half their podcast just talking about Destiny.

Ha. I feel you on this. I never went back to 8-4 after they did that one episode where they "tricked" everyone and just ended up talking about Destiny the whole time. That was annoying.

And I played Destiny 1 and spent all weekend playing 2.

Sometimes I think I should go back to 8-4..

killroy87

I highly recommend Frame Trap from the Easy Allies boys. It's a three hour podcast every other week of mostly game impressions. It's my number 3 gaming podcast after the GB stuff.

Yeah, it's good. The actual Easy Allies Podcast is significantly less good.

Harpuia

Part of me goes "oh ok, they're gonna switch it up with Destiny instead of doing PUBG".

Then I remember how boring it is to watch someone play Destiny.

Then I'm happy again because Exquisite Corps. and SMS are so damn good.

daveo42

Banned
Ha. I feel you on this. I never went back to 8-4 after they did that one episode where they "tricked" everyone and just ended up talking about Destiny the whole time. That was annoying.

And I played Destiny 1 and spent all weekend playing 2.

Sometimes I think I should go back to 8-4..

Seems like now would be the worst time to go back since they'll be ramping up their Destiny segment now that it's out. It might be worth listening to again come January when Ni no Kuni 2 comes out.

HOoPBze.png

ev0

Seems like now would be the worst time to go back since they'll be ramping up their Destiny segment now that it's out. It might be worth listening to again come January when Ni no Kuni 2 comes out.

This is true. Maybe best to wait. I'll get enough from the GB crew, which is fine.

8-4 is worth it for me just to hear Sarah chastise Roy or Graham. Cracks me up every time.

I do have a big backlog of 8-4 I can go back to..

It needs to be way more often too!

I'd agree with that, but I imagine there's production issues due to the after-action report and editing.

I think this sentiment is due to episode length more than anything. Like, I'm pretty sure I mentioned this before, but having just one mission per episode (almost always?) feels very insubstantial. It's an Endurance Run in slow motion.
Isn't there a way to play Ironman, but on an easier difficulty? Normal on XCOM 2 was a bizarre struggle in terms of shot chances.

I'm pretty sure you set the difficulty (including any Second Wave options) before commiting to Ironman. Or maybe it's just a checkbox, but same idea.

Worth noting that their hit percentages are only a struggle because they keep turtling in cover, shooting at an enemy in cover, rather than flanking. Such a tactic works against Sectoids, but enemies like Thin Men and Mutons will reposition and outmaneuver you. The game actually tries to organically teach you better positioning by introducing Floaters, Thin Men, and Seekers in quick succession--all of which are highly agile enemies that take advantage of height, positioning (theirs and their enemies), or both.

Poor positioning is not as fatal on lower difficulties, but it's still a disadvantage that could've been yours to use against the enemy.

I was actually probably going to try Destiny out, except two things happened:

-The delayed PC launch means my brother is playing on PS4 right now instead, so he likely won't play on PC, so we likely won't play together

-The reaction to Destiny 2 has been more...muted than I expected. During their GOTY talks 2014 Brad said that "Destiny would be the game of the year if there was more of it". Destiny 2 sounds like they made more of it, and it doesn't sound like Game of the Year. I mean that's not entirely fair, the novelty value is largely gone so you just lose some of that new toy excitement, but still...

Look at it this way. When D1 came out the OT reached 400 pages in a few days. This happened consistently for the first 10 ots. Its been a week and D2 is still on OT number 1.

Its not as big as game as D1. And thats because on, theres so many games to play, and two, people learned from the first one.

Yes, D2 has sold alot so far, but not as much as D1 did.

swimbuff

I like Sarah for bringing some different views to the 8-4 podcast and was glad to see her come back as an employee, but she's sometimes very quickly dismissive (and loudly so) of certain views or games that other people bring up and that puts me off her a little. I chalk it up to being young and immature, which is completely understandable.

Hopefully Mark has played enough Destiny to render substantial opinions about the game. Bomb, Beast and 8-4 casts are gonna be all about the D this week!

Lari

I'm glad they're doing Murder Island today.
I'd much rather watch more Battlegrounds than Destiny (just not for me).

But hopefully they will do a Destiny stream so the people who want it bad can have a little fun too. Just don't take my Island of Murder away!!!

Meguro

Banned
Look at it this way. When D1 came out the OT reached 400 pages in a few days. This happened consistently for the first 10 ots. Its been a week and D2 is still on OT number 1.

Its not as big as game as D1. And thats because on, theres so many games to play, and two, people learned from the first one.

Yes, D2 has sold alot so far, but not as much as D1 did.

This OT comparison is nothing short of useless cause a lot of GAF communities moved to Discord.

Also like, Destiny 2 is a new big release! Do y'all want them to just...ignore that it came out and they are all playing it?

I'm fine with Dan making infinite clones of himself and being overly protective of his clones but taking already set characters to replace him was a bit much. I wanted Lang to make it through. Good thing Vinny stopped him from replacing Brad. It's not worth getting worked up over but the feature would be better if Dan pulled back on his antics a little bit.

Played Destiny 2 for a few hours(saving it for another post) & Finished Uncharted: Lost Legacy. Yup, this is definitely top tier Uncharted. Like it fits right between UC4 and UC2 for me. Part of the reason why UC4 is my favorite is that I really liked those quiet moments and the overall game itself held a lot more weight than Lost Legacy(of course). Yet even then, nobody should overlook this game because it tells an isolated story for the most part and having most of the game being centered in the jungle is fantastic.

Like, most of the game is like that island chapter from UC4 except it's filled with puzzles and enemies as well as an interesting side mission? which is a first for the series. The game definitely feels tighter due to its nature when it comes to pacing. Attention to detail is bordering on insanity and the game on the whole is fun if you want more Uncharted. The weakest aspects for me are the soundtrack & villain(UC4 is probably the only game in the series that has an ok/good villian).

Chloe & Nadine are awesome together and their dynamic is the cherry on top. It is a shame though that Chloe overshadows Nadine because she's given more care and screen time(since you control her) and shades of her backstory are sprinkled throughout the game so, she comes out the more memorable character by the end but both are awesome. In short, if you like/love Uncharted then this is more of it but it's a REALLY GOOD more of it. Game has like two best moments of the year for me(did I mention that it looks fucking insane??? this shit looked like CGI to me from beginning to end on 4K HDR OLED)

Meneses

I used to listen to 8-4 Play but Sarah is terrible, the other new guy is bad as well, and Roy depends on the day.

Also, the semi frequent slurping noises and the fact that it's basically an unofficial Nintendo podcast (may or may not be related) put me off.

Hiroko was cool.

swimbuff

I was curious so I went back to take a look and jesus christ Dan's last XCorps episode has 715 comments now. That's getting really close to Dan's other infamous video, the Metro Redux QL which has 781 comments. I wonder if he's going to take similar lessons from this series as he did with the Metro QL.

I hope he does learn. The best heels know when to milk the boos, and when to pull it back.

Edit: Huh, I refreshed the page and the Metro QL actually has 907 comments. That was a weird bug. Anyway, guess Dan has still some ways to go to match that performance. I wonder what ways he will think of next episode!

LiK

I'll be honest that Grame (sp?) is the only person I don't like on 8-4 Play. He's much better now but he used to come off as really snobby to me about his gaming habits and being hardcore. Also, I really don't give a fuck about his McDonald's love.

I love Sarah.

killroy87

I was curious so I went back to take a look and jesus christ Dan's last XCorps episode has 715 comments now. That's getting really close to Dan's other infamous video, the Metro Redux QL which has 781 comments. I wonder if he's going to take similar lessons from this series as he did with the Metro QL.

I hope he does learn. The best heels know when to milk the boos, and when to pull it back.

The Metro QL? I don't think I saw that, what was the beef?

ev0

Dan's slowly approaching Xpac heat with this feature

daveo42

Banned
Played Destiny 2 for a few hours(saving it for another post) & Finished Uncharted: Lost Legacy. Yup, this is definitely top tier Uncharted. Like it fits right between UC4 and UC2 for me. Part of the reason why UC4 is my favorite is that I really liked those quiet moments and the overall game itself held a lot more weight than Lost Legacy(of course). Yet even then, nobody should overlook this game because it tells an isolated story for the most part and having most of the game being centered in the jungle is fantastic.

Like, most of the game is like that island chapter from UC4 except it's filled with puzzles and enemies as well as an interesting side mission? which is a first for the series. The game definitely feels tighter due to its nature when it comes to pacing. Attention to detail is bordering on insanity and the game on the whole is fun if you want more Uncharted. The weakest aspects for me are the soundtrack & villain(UC4 is probably the only game in the series that has an ok/good villian).

Chloe & Nadine are awesome together and their dynamic is the cherry on top. It is a shame though that Chloe overshadows Nadine because she's given more care and screen time(since you control her) and shades of her backstory are sprinkled throughout the game so, she comes out the more memorable character by the end but both are awesome. In short, if you like/love Uncharted then this is more of it but it's a REALLY GOOD more of it. Game has like two best moments of the year for me(did I mention that it looks fucking insane??? this shit looked like CGI to me from beginning to end on 4K HDR OLED)

Yeah, I definitely agree with you on the look. Game looks insane in 4k HDR (also OLED). It's also what feels like a much more low-key Uncharted experience for me, which is actually really great. The open section and what feels like way less combat situations has been great for me as I've come to the realization I care much more about the exploration, world, and lore/story behind each Uncharted more than I care for the combat.

I'm also glad more character stories and depth have been a more primary focus since UC4. Nadine and Chloe are great together and have some spectacular moments. I still have a few chapters left and hope I can finish that up this week.

RBH

The Mario Sunshine discussion during the PAX Panel is legit one of my favorite Giant Bomb moments of the year.

Mr. F

Banned
The heel act is so boring, dan needs to take a note on the fact most of his coworkers are entertaining enough on their own that they don't need to rely on shitty gimmicks.

The Xcom comments remind me of when he torpedoed D&D and made it a miserable experience for the sake of the bit.

- J - D -

Goddamn it I just wanna get one of those snes things without having to go all Sinbad for one.

Cool! And those are some choice screencaps.

Top Bottom