• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

swimbuff

The Metro QL? I don't think I saw that, what was the beef?

Oh boy, you might not want to watch it if you're a fan of the Metro games.

https://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-metro-redux/2300-9447/

Dan has admitted in a relatively recent Beastcast that he was wrong about some of his opinions in the QL. While his criticisms may have been valid, he shouldn't have been completely dismissive of the game and recognized that he was probably the wrong guy to QL it because his personal tastes didn't align.

Someone asked about the McElroys. I was someone that was 100% ride-or-die for GB and no one else for a number of years. Eventually, I got a boring desk job that gave me eight hours a day to fill with podcasts and an hour's worth of commute on top of that.

Something pointed me in the direction of My Brother, My Brother and Me. I started listening to that tentatively, but fast forward a couple years, and I've now listened to all of MBMBAM, Rose Buddies, and the Adventure Zone, and have been to 3 McElroy liveshows.

I enjoy the stuff they make a whole lot, but that's subjective and a matter of taste. What ISN'T up for debate, however, is that they're good dudes. They're the opposite of some fuck like Colin Moriarty or PewDiePie. They don't go on angry, childish rants like Total Biscuit, either.

Adventure Zone is flush with amazing characters, and a ton of them happen to be LGBT. Griffin McElroy's donated tens of thousands of dollars to the Trans Law Center and Southern Poverty Law Center from sales of the Adventure Zone OST during August. They have done a ton of other holiday gift drives and charity work for their hometown of Huntington West Virginia. They openly talk about their earlier, younger work by acknowledging how shitty they were.

McElroys are the only people on the internet that I like near as much as GB.

Oh boy, you might not want to watch it if you're a fan of the Metro games.

https://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-metro-redux/2300-9447/

Dan has admitted in a relatively recent Beastcast that he was wrong about some of his opinions in the QL. While his criticisms may have been valid, he shouldn't have been completely dismissive of the game and recognized that he was probably the wrong guy to QL it because his personal tastes didn't align.

Dan was spot on about everything in that QL

I'm months behind on my GB podcasts, did Jeff ever talk about his thoughts on the new Twin Peaks at all? I just saw him post David Lynch cooking quinoa on his tumblr and remembered that he was a fan.

Seems like now would be the worst time to go back since they'll be ramping up their Destiny segment now that it's out. It might be worth listening to again come January when Ni no Kuni 2 comes out.

Hopefully, with Mark leaving 8-4 the Destiny talks die down.

The new TP is amazing but it also requires you to watch the old show and especially the film, Fire Walk With Me. And FWWM is not a GOOD time. It's a great film but it's fucking dark. So, chances of the duders who watched or are watching the new TP is non-existent.

LiK

Has anyone at GB addressed why they stopped writing reviews? It seems like we get maybe one a month.
Is it just too time intensive?

They mentioned it before. It takes time and they only write reviews for games they have something to say and want to score. Other than that, they let the quick looks and Bomb/Beastcasts speak for themselves.

Hopefully, with Mark leaving 8-4 the Destiny talks die down.

I have bad news...

BTA

The new TP is amazing but it also requires you to watch the old show and especially the film, Fire Walk With Me. And FWWM is not a GOOD time. It's a great film but it's fucking dark. So, chances of the duders who watched or are watching the new TP is non-existent.

Pretty sure Alex watched it? I think? He's been making more references to TP lately at least.

Meanwhile Austin has definitely watched it, fwiw.

Quick Looks are so much more valuable to me than reviews for making purchasing decisions. I don't mind at all that they rarely review games.

This. I don't go to reviews for purchasing decisions anymore. I read reviews for critique and discussion. QL and playthroughs do a much better job of helping me figure out purchasing decisions.

swimbuff

Someone asked about the McElroys. I was someone that was 100% ride-or-die for GB and no one else for a number of years. Eventually, I got a boring desk job that gave me eight hours a day to fill with podcasts and an hour's worth of commute on top of that.

Something pointed me in the direction of My Brother, My Brother and Me. I started listening to that tentatively, but fast forward a couple years, and I've now listened to all of MBMBAM, Rose Buddies, and the Adventure Zone, and have been to 3 McElroy liveshows.

I enjoy the stuff they make a whole lot, but that's subjective and a matter of taste. What ISN'T up for debate, however, is that they're good dudes. They're the opposite of some fuck like Colin Moriarty or PewDiePie. They don't go on angry, childish rants like Total Biscuit, either.

Adventure Zone is flush with amazing characters, and a ton of them happen to be LGBT. Griffin McElroy's donated tens of thousands of dollars to the Trans Law Center and Southern Poverty Law Center from sales of the Adventure Zone OST during August. They have done a ton of other holiday gift drives and charity work for their hometown of Huntington West Virginia. They openly talk about their earlier, younger work by acknowledging how shitty they were.

I've been looking for a new podcast to listen to so I will definitely give MBMBAM a shot. From all the stories I've read the McElroys are definitely good dudes, and isn't Griffin like a 30 under 30 thing which I don't really understand but sounds impressive?

Anyway Griffin's CRONCH resurfaced on twitter today which was a good reminder for me to check out their stuff.

Damn, never seen such fury over Dan in a video feature.

Dan, time to take it down a notch.

The worrying thing is I think he considers genuinely pissing people off to be a success. It creates a no-lose scenario for him because if people are entertained, great! If people are pissed, also great, because he's a heel! I don't KNOW if he thinks that way mind you. But it's how a lot of his defenders frame any criticism of his behavior.

I still value reviews, because Quick Looks or Bombcast discussions are often done without finishing the game. Since the vast majority of reviews are done after a game's been completed, it's way more likely to tell me if the game finishes strong.

I'm definitely at the point where I'll be skipping Dan's episodes of The Exquisite Corps but I may even stop watching his Quick Looks. I don't find him funny anymore, just annoying.

I super doubt Jeff would be into the new Twin Peaks, but yeah I don't think he watched it.

He did say on the podcast that his wife watches it and he knows somethings about how it ties to FWWM and that it sounded really interesting.

The more people that watch Twin Peaks: the return , the better

Nerokis

XCORPS is a frustrating feature. There's so much potential, but every Dan episode drops it down a few more notches.

You guys are insane. I haven't seen this week's episode, but the last Dan episode was one of the best pieces of Giant Bomb content in a long, long time. It's the one that made me feel like a fool for sleeping on Exquisite Corps as long as I did.

Chances are Dan actually was annoying to watch this time around, as he sometimes is, but he at least has the best episode of the series under his belt.

Salarians

http://jeff.zone/post/165206719286

D2_Video_Game.jpg
yeah!

He did say on the podcast that his wife watches it and he knows somethings about how it ties to FWWM and that it sounded really interesting.

The more people that watch Twin Peaks: the return , the better

I think the "it's like FWWM" narrative is suuuuper reductive. People who go in expecting more of that are going to be just as baffled as those wanting more of the original series.

The more I think about and read into The Return the more I love it, but it's nothing like FWWM other than some early tonal stuff. It's important to watch FWWM of course, but it is not similar to the new season.

swimbuff

You guys are insane. I haven't seen this week's episode, but the last Dan episode was one of the best pieces of Giant Bomb content in a long, long time. It's the one that made me feel like a fool for sleeping on Exquisite Corps as long as I did.

Chances are Dan actually was annoying to watch this time around, as he sometimes is, but he at least has the best episode of the series under his belt.

What was it about that episode did you like?

I hope Cmd. Russell makes Girl Dan Ryckert next episode, it's probably the only thing that would phase him for even a second.

Else, I suppose she should consign herself to letting a bunch of civilians die on the next mission and just try to survive. Maybe if she can sell some stuff and make a few more laser rifles she'll have a she'll at least have a chance of making it through.

Hasney

Nah, it was awful to watch and almost put me off the entire series as it makes it predictable now. I'm not even watching this one, the comments just sound like it's more shittiness but dialled up higher by renaming already established characters.

If I wanted to watch dickhead characters play video games badly, I have endless choices on YouTube and Twitch.

Nerokis

What was it about that episode did you like?

Let me list a couple quick things.

1). It legitimately made me feel nervous to watch. There was a point when shit started to get real, and I almost felt tempted to turn away from the screen. This worked especially well for me because you could see this reflected in Dan's behavior, too, where he went from ultra-confident to coming off as if he was on the verge of handing Vinny the figurative controller.

2). It made me laugh. The standout point here was the end, when it turned out Vinny was dead. I straight up teared up after that.

It reached the heights of SMS, but with a few less laughs, and much more suspense. A great mix.

Teddified

Let me list a couple quick things.

1). It legitimately made me feel nervous to watch. There was a point when shit started to get real, and I almost felt tempted to turn away from the screen. This worked especially well for me because you could see this reflected in Dan's behavior, too, where he went from ultra-confident to coming off as if he was on the verge of handing Vinny the figurative controller.

2). It made me laugh. The standout point here was the end, when it turned out Vinny was dead. I straight up teared up after that.

It reached the heights of SMS, but with a few less laughs, and much more suspense. A great mix.

Now imagine that but Dan Renamed all the characters before the fight and changed their appearance....it looses some of the stake then doesn't it?

I played 5 hours of Destiny 2 and I can confirm that it is good but there is nothing remarkable about it, at all. Before I get into the issues I'm having with it, lets start with the positives. The art direction is fucking strong, the shooting feels good, the game has a ton of colors, it sounds great and probably the biggest change that I noticed was the soundtrack. It's spectacular. I mean, the soundtrack DESERVES a better game than Destiny 2.

The Farm
Journey

The game starts out super strong thanks to the execution for the most part and soundtrack. It has nothing to do with the story or writing because while it made me feel things, it was not for the right reasons since I know fuck all when it comes to the lore behind Destiny because I didn't watch a 2 hour lore video nor did I look at lore cards or whatever the fuck back when I played Destiny 1. This leads me to believe that the game will end strongly as well with the middle missions being alright but nothing like the first and final missions. That's my guess, I could be wrong and I hope that I'm wrong.

It certainly feels more coherent due to how the game is built with them throwing randos with you in almost every facet of the game which has a really good feeling of being connected with the Destiny universe in a way that doesn't seem superficial. Having said that, I've been finding an issue with the game that wasn't existent in the previous game. Back when Destiny 1 came out it was new enough that even with every shortcoming the game had I kind of stuck with it because it was enjoyable and many people I knew at the time were playing it, not to mention there weren't many games releasing that year(2014 was WiiU's year). The issue I've been finding is that when I'm playing alone it isn't as fun as it was in D1, I don't care about exotics or whatever because I dropped hard from D1 after finishing Vault of Glass. So now, there is nothing of substance for me when I'm playing the game alone. With friends it's a different matter of course but that's very disappointing because the story is plainly average and is nothing to write home about. They missed the chance of getting you invested in the characters and explaining the universe in a clear, coherent and focused manner with D1. So now, you're stuck with a story that on paper is ok but is hard to get invested into anything, at least that's how I'm feeling right now. Like, my thoughts about D2 ends when I close the console. I don't have anything to think about or go over in my head when I do so and I certainly don't feel any affinity for any of the characters.

I'm yawning when I'm playing the game alone lol and that's a bad sign. Still, I want to stick with it and see it through but like the first game I don't think this will have its hooks in me for months or years to come. As soon as Cuphead drops and the October wave of games hits, I'll be moving on.

Mr. F

Banned

I've been diehard McElroy but burned out somewhere in the last year with TAZ and keeping current with mbmbam. I maintain mbmbam peaked a few years ago but +1 to them being good dudes. Their video stuff is usually fun.

Pretty sure Alex watched it? I think? He's been making more references to TP lately at least.

Meanwhile Austin has definitely watched it, fwiw.

Yeah, I know but we won't no for sure till he talks about it. I know Austin watched it because he talked a fuck ton about it on Twitter.

BTA

People complaining about Dan while ignoring the MVP of the series so far, Swery

The episode is worth watching if only to hear Dan say "Swery is the man!"

Though again, I think early renaming shenanigans aside and what I think (again I don't play XCOM and have only learned stuff via this thread + comments) might have been some bad decisions early in the mission, it was a tense and enjoyable episode.

Though some glancing at the wiki I did a few episodes back makes me think they actually could "capture" that alien the story wants them to since it doesn't actually end up using the containment unit, right? Is them taking so long to do that story requirement going to screw them over (not that it matters at this point)?

Hasney

Nope

Anyone getting upset over someone else playing a game is a legitimate moron, and Dan shouldn't have to change his behavior for them.

No-ones upset. Just bummed a potentially awesome series some of us were looking forward to has been kinda ruined. I'm sure we'll cope.

daveo42

Banned
Dan taking controls back after all the hard work Alex put in last week will never not worry me. Based on the comments in here, it seems like Dan's shit makes their shit hit the fan and while I like Dan being Dan, I'm not a fan of his shenanigans here.

Also, fuck Dan renaming Lang to himself
Edit:
Thank fuck that Vinny is there to keep Dan from changing everyone in the squad to him. This bit is stupid.

Kalor

I really enjoyed this week's Exquisite Corp. It seemed like it was going to be bad early in the mission but it all worked out well. They lost a recruit so it wasn't that bad. Dans dumb idea to bring his character back is great.

Wunder

Has anyone at GB addressed why they stopped writing reviews? It seems like we get maybe one a month.
Is it just too time intensive?

little late but in either the 1099 interview or someplace else Vinny addressed the time it takes to write a review. It's kind of similar to the reasons why they stopped with video reviews except for the writer. With the kind of content they pump out now where it's just sitting down and hitting record, taking time out of their day to not be recording something and utilize a different set of skills is more time consuming than just talking about it on a podcast or recording a QL, where you can pretty much get the gist of their thoughts anyway.

BTA

I've been diehard McElroy but burned out somewhere in the last year with TAZ and keeping current with mbmbam. I maintain mbmbam peaked a few years ago but +1 to them being good dudes. Their video stuff is usually fun.

YMMV but I think the past year or so has had some amazing episodes. I was at the earlier Boston liveshow last night and I can't wait to relisten to it when it comes out as an episode; I'd been to 2 shows in NYC over the past few years and had a really great time but even relative to those this was fantastic.

Top Bottom