• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

ev0

You're not seriously comparing Dan to someone who uses racist language, right?

You're not actually doing that, right?

Do I really think that? Of course not.

I just responded to what I felt like was an overly reductive about how people felt about the latest EC episode with an admittedly even more reductive comment.

imBask

Banned

I just responded to what I felt like was an overly reductive about how people felt about the latest EC episode with an admittedly even more reductive comment.

you could also just admit your comparison was dumb and move on, take the L

HOoPBze.png

time to shop everyones's face
MV5BMTM2OTY2NTI1MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTQxOTYyMQ@@._V1_.jpg

J_Viper

It makes compete sense to be angry at someone casually using racist terminology

It does not make sense to be angry at someone for fooling around in a dumb game

I'm sorry, but your comparison doesn't work

Zaph

Waypoint just did a pretty good live podcast mainly talking about PDP https://www.twitch.tv/videos/174021473

At the very end Patrick just briefly touches on the Ryan/Lantern Run thing because he's been getting a lot of tweets about it. He thinks its a different situation but it will be in his PDP article.

ev0

you could also just admit your comparison was dumb and move on, take the L

Ah, I wasn't really meaning to justify myself there if thats what it seemed. If I need to just spell out taking the L here its is:

I dun fucked.

Back to regularly scheduled non weekend Gb chatter.

swimbuff

But it makes sense to call someone a moron for expressing their opinion, even if it's an angry one, about a video?

The people have legitimate complaints, don't be so readily dismissive of others.

Mr. F

Banned
YMMV but I think the past year or so has had some amazing episodes. I was at the earlier Boston liveshow last night and I can't wait to relisten to it when it comes out as an episode; I'd been to 2 shows in NYC over the past few years and had a really great time but even relative to those this was fantastic.

I shy away from listening to the live stuff as it's a bit "yelly" for my taste but I'd probably go if I had the chance.

It's probably equally a me thing, but listening from close to the beginning I found a lot of their earlier stuff funnier before it became kind of a business and they ballooned to a million podcasts. Kind of feels like they're going through the motions some weeks or trying to force a bit. Also the maxfun nepotism kind of rubs me the wrong way - were it anyone else there's no way the majority of Travis' projects would make it on the network, dude is nice as hell but not funny on his own. Bunker Buddies is a disaster, for example.

Anyway for me the sweet spot I think was 2012-2014 which is a shame as they disown a lot of their earlier stuff. Also their fandom turning hyper sensitive in recent years and influencing their shows was kind of a bummer.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I just...have never really found the McElroys funny. Thats fine, other people do, but like people would link me to Monster Factory videos going "omg the most hilarious one yet" and I'd sort of chuckle?

freetacos

Latest exquisite corps was entertaining as hell. Dan renaming the characters was a little "meh", but I'm not upset/disappointed over it. Didn't really detract from the episode IMO.

J_Viper

But it makes sense to call someone a moron for expressing their opinion, even if it's an angry one, about a video?

The people have legitimate complaints, don't be so readily dismissive of others.

I'm sorry but I don't see it that way

"I'm mad because this person is playing a game incorrectly" is not a legitimate complaint. It never will be.

Hasney

"I'm mad because this person is playing a game incorrectly" is not a legitimate complaint. It never will be.

It's not playing it incorrectly, it's the character or shtick that he's playing to "save Dan" or whatever tired thing it is. It's just boring, whereas trying and failing organically due to bad play would probably end up entertaining.

BTA

I shy away from listening to the live stuff as it's a bit "yelly" for my taste but I'd probably go if I had the chance.

It's probably equally a me thing, but listening from close to the beginning I found a lot of their earlier stuff funnier before it became kind of a business and they ballooned to a million podcasts. Kind of feels like they're going through the motions some weeks or trying to force a bit. Also the maxfun nepotism kind of rubs me the wrong way - were it anyone else there's no way the majority of Travis' projects would make it on the network, dude is nice as hell but not funny on his own. Bunker Buddies is a disaster, for example.

Anyway for me the sweet spot I think was 2012-2014 which is a shame as they disown a lot of their earlier stuff. Also their fandom turning hyper sensitive in recent years and influencing their shows was kind of a bummer.

Eh, the live stuff can be hit or miss especially with audience questions (though I think the TAZ live shows have been even more hit or miss) and it's usually a different feel, but there's some real good stuff in them.

I don't listen to most of Travis's individual stuff, yeah. Rather, it's shifted over time but the only other podcasts they do I actually listen to regularly are TAZ and Rose Buddies/Wonderful! (which is consistently great though Wonderful! is only one episode old to be fair). There's no particular reason for that but I listen to a ton of other podcasts as is and Sawbones/Still Buffering/etc. are fine but aren't something I need to spend time on.

I think the fandom has certain issues but that's not really what I'd point to first (or, at least, "hyper senstitive" is never going to be a thing I see as anything other than dismissive of legitimate concerns). A lot of the TAZ crit was worth talking about and my issue is more how it should have been directed at them more than the comic's artist since she was attacked for decisions that she didn't make. Honestly I'm glad these things come up because their responses have made me trust them more? I dunno.

Hasney

Damn, Fortune Street appeared for pre-order on Hong Kong PSN, however it's in Chinese. It specifies (Chinese Ver.) In the title, so going to remain hopeful of an English version there at some point.

swimbuff

I somewhat agree with that depending on the context but again, that isn't the complaint. People are complaining about Dan renaming an existing character to bring himself back, which for some kills any investment they have in the narrative of the series because it doesn't matter if a soldier lives or dies, they can just bring them back by renaming an existing veteran soldier.

Feel free to disagree with their complaints, but at least get the complaint right and don't call people "legitimate morons" for simply expressing their opinions. Unless you want to be that guy, in which case I've got nothing else to say to you.

imBask

Banned
Boogie has a loooooot of issues

DDP gave up on him

DDP, the guy who saved a wrestler who drank more than all of us combined, and has been doing so for the past 20 years

that boy ain't right

Mr. F

Banned
I think the fandom has certain issues but that's not really what I'd point to first (or, at least, "hyper senstitive" is never going to be a thing I see as anything other than dismissive of legitimate concerns). A lot of the TAZ crit was worth talking about and my issue is more how it should have been directed at them more than the comic's artist. Honestly I'm glad these things come up because their responses have made me trust them more? I dunno.

Right, hyper sensitive was bad shorthand on my part, but I firmly believe the more vocal feedback in the comic crit got toxic real quick. Folks dogpiling on them enough for Griffin to be genuinely upset about the situation is just shitty all around, especially considering their advocacy for/inclusion of minorities through TAZ.

I get their intent and understand why they would go this route but they didn't do themselves any favours by relinquishing the ownership or 'canon' representation of the characters and opening themselves to an endless cycle of criticism.

Wait. I didn't know boggie2988 was hated around here. He seemed really nice did I miss something?

he's a fence-sitting centrist who thinks enlightenment is saying "both sides" and doesn't say anything to upset the applecart of his fanbase which consists largely of... well, gamers. The kind who still watch pewdiepie or total biscuit or jontron etc. It's intellectual cowardice at best. He's the white moderate.

Wait. I didn't know boggie2988 was hated around here. He seemed really nice did I miss something?

His centrist attitude on matters that are clear cut is very annoying. The "let's meet in the middle" BS on matters that have no middle really. I mean, he's a nice guy and all but taking a stand is taking a stand, y'know?

Branson

he's a fence-sitting centrist who thinks enlightenment is saying "both sides" and doesn't say anything to upset the applecart of his fanbase which consists largely of... well, gamers. The kind who still watch pewdiepie or total biscuit or jontron etc. It's intellectual cowardice at best. He's the white moderate.

His centrist attitude on matters that are clear cut is very annoying. The "let's meet in the middle" BS on matters that have no middle really. I mean, he's a nice guy and all but taking a stand is taking a stand, y'know?

Ok I get it. So like him being in the middle of the Pew n word thing when you shouldnt even have that ease of saying it in the first place. Totally a no side to be on but somehow he makes it seem like there is a middle ground. That kinda sucks. I didnt really know much about him on that stuff.

The Technomancer

Honestly its not even the "centrist" stuff that bothers me. That's a sin of a lot of America right now. Its specifically how he doubles down in what is effectively defense of some of the shittiest personalities and movements in gaming right now.

BTA

Right, hyper sensitive was bad shorthand on my part, but I firmly believe the more vocal feedback in the comic crit got toxic real quick. Folks dogpiling on them enough for Griffin to be genuinely upset about the situation is just shitty all around, especially considering their advocacy for/inclusion of minorities through TAZ.

I get their intent and understand why they would go this route but they didn't do themselves any favours by relinquishing the ownership or 'canon' representation of the characters and opening themselves to an endless cycle of criticism.

Mhmm, we more or less agree, I think. I think the lack of a canon appearance thing was a pretty bad decision because of instances like this (or, like, the podcast art) where it's hard to say "well, it's official but not canon" and also how that makes representation hard to begin with. Obviously most of this stuff stems from them pushing a fully comedic oneshot into being a full campaign without really thinking that through, so hopefully they avoid all this by being thinking through things in advance more from now on, and it definitely sounds like they will.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It bugs me how my number one hobby, the thing I've done since I was 5 but has never run my life, the most popular examples of it seem to be racist, homophobic, manchildren. And I look on shit ilke Twitch chat and I just think 'maybe I'm the minority.'

like if Jack Thompson was big in the era of youtube that dude would have so much more ammunition

daveo42

Banned
So that Exquisite Corps video was way better than I expected. The bit about
renaming Lang tho rubs me the wrong way, regardless of his "story" reasons.
That ending tho...Abby has her work cut out for her.

The Technomancer

It bugs me how my number one hobby, the thing I've done since I was 5 but has never run my life, the most popular examples of it seem to be racist, homophobic, manchildren. And I look on shit ilke Twitch chat and I just think 'maybe I'm the minority.'

like if Jack Thompson was big in the era of youtube that dude would have so much more ammunition
Now you know why I cling to Giant Bomb like a life raft

Teddified

I just hate the whole acting like someones just a kid or that shit is just "Locker room talk" that stuff just really depresses me.

Hopefully Murder island will brighten the day.
Not too much Destiny talk plz

Harpuia

Sometimes I think about why I don't have too many gamer friends. This is the general perception of gamers, and I must've gotten bad luck that all the potential friends who also happened to be into gaming also tended to be people like this.

Catvoca

Banned

If it hadn't been for finding neogaf I probably wouldn't ever talk about video games online.

There are bad apples anywhere you go, and the internet only amplifies their voice. Though given how ego driven/lowest common denominator/younger skewing a lot of gaming can be it's perhaps more of an issue in this space.

J_Viper

I somewhat agree with that depending on the context but again, that isn't the complaint. People are complaining about Dan renaming an existing character to bring himself back, which for some kills any investment they have in the narrative of the series because it doesn't matter if a soldier lives or dies, they can just bring them back by renaming an existing veteran soldier.

Feel free to disagree with their complaints, but at least get the complaint right and don't call people "legitimate morons" for simply expressing their opinions. Unless you want to be that guy, in which case I've got nothing else to say to you.

Maybe I'm in the wrong here, but this is what I think is crazy
It's not Breaking Bad, it's some folks playing a video game. If one of them wants to goof off, I just don't see the problem.

Snagret

Now you know why I cling to Giant Bomb like a life raft
Same, I really appreciate the type of content Giantbomb, Waypoint, and McElroys/Polygon put out. Without them I'd probably have abandoned video games as a hobby a long time ago because it often feels like the big faces of gaming are just total shitbags with equally terrible audiences. It's nice to have personalities in the industry I actually like.

daveo42

Banned
It's not Breaking Bad, it's some folks playing a video game. If one of them wants to goof off, I just don't see the problem.

I think it plays up Dan's narcissism, which is probably supposed to come off as a joke, just seems sad. Yes, we know Dan will prioritize his safety and rank over all others. Doesn't mean that beating on the same joke every time he plays will make it funny. What would be funny tho is if Abby re-renames Dan back to Lang because Lang expelled Dan for reasons.

Teddified

Eh they set up a premise for a video series and Dan kinda ruined it by changing an established character to himself.

Like I'm not angry I'm just a little annoyed, I wouldn't care much if it was a new soldier who wasn't already created and been in the series from the start.

Hasney

In either example it's people watching video to be entertained. I don't see the difference.

Snagret

I think some of the reactions to the last episode of EQ have been a tiny bit extreme, but I also get it. For me it's less about him not playing the game good and more about feeling like the quality of the show is getting kneecapped a bit, both in how amusing the "joke" is and also in how long the series could run for. The Abby/Alex episodes have been really fun and I think it's a great idea for a feature, it would just kinda suck to see the series to end a lot sooner than necessary because of bit that's more grating than entertaining.

Top Bottom