• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

Megasoum

Banned
Just finished the Destiny 2 story... That was fun... Time to start the actual game now

Also, on a different subject... I just learned that my friend has an actual SKS Rifle... And not even one of those Czech or Chineese knock-off, a real Russian one.

Now I just need to convice him to take me to the shooting stand to try it out.

Just finished the Destiny 2 story... That was fun... Time to start the actual game now

Also, on a different subject... I just learned that my friend has an actual SKS Rifle... And not even one of those Czech or Chineese knock-off, a real Russian one.

Now I just need to convice him to take me to the shooting stand to try it out.

I have an SKS too, It's fun, but I actually like my Mauser more as it's bolt action and just a ton of fun to shoot.

BTA

The one thing that really bugs me about Rabbids so far is that despite there being the Tacticam it is kinda hard to tell how you're going to end up aiming certain shots when the character's range seemingly changes a lot based on who you're aiming at with no real freedom to decide that?

I just did amazingly on the first level of 3-7 and then placed Peach apparently one space too close to a line of enemies to catch one to the side in the shot and also her gun's status effect was burn, so instead of killing everyone there was one guy left and also she got burned so he killed her after and I'm restarting.

I don't usually restart for perfects but in world 3 I sure have had a lot of false starts/immediate wipes that changing roster/tactics fixes quickly.

also I forgot to hit post and now I just barely perfected by virtue of an enemy shooting through another one (which had survived with 1 HP before then) to hit someone BEFORE the 1 HP enemy shot and therefore not having that extra attack that would have killed them, good shit

Love GiantBomb but listening to Abby' complaints about Sonic Mania really reminded me of how GB East is more of a lifestyle/comedy podcast then West. Like, it's a video game, experiment!

The one thing that really bugs me about Rabbids so far is that despite there being the Tacticam it is kinda hard to tell how you're going to end up aiming certain shots when the character's range seemingly changes a lot based on who you're aiming at with no real freedom to decide that?

Not sure if I am understanding you correctly but if so it will show you your shot percentages, if you will be in range, etc when you select move and hover over your potential movement spots. It shows as white text under the enemy health bar.

Rabbids is pretty awesome. Got to the chapter 2 mini boss today, excited to fight it!

Love GiantBomb but listening to Abby' complaints about Sonic Mania really reminded me of how GB East is more of a lifestyle/comedy podcast then West. Like, it's a video game, experiment!

Genesis was my first console and I’m about a year younger than Abby. I suffered through years of Sonic as a kid. Stuff like that leaves lasting damage.

I picked up Mania because I have a Switch and figured why not? The game is charming, nostalgic, has great music. The gameplay is hot garbage and always has been.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
You know, despite Abby already seeming to be be way more into games and current gaming culture as a whole than Drew ever did I feel like there is way more scrutiny on Abby "knowing" about games than Drew ever got.

You know, despite Abby already seeming to be be way more into games and current gaming culture as a whole than Drew ever did I feel like there is way more scrutiny on Abby "knowing" about games than Drew ever got.

I'm not sure the premise is true. Drew was constantly harped on in those old bombcast threads for not talking about or knowing games.

I agree, you are definitely right. She has talked about a huge variety of games she has played / is playing but people are dumbfounded that she hasn't played sonic. Who cares lol

Tagyhag

Yep, it's dumb.

They'd have a case if she was hired as an editor but as a video producer? As long as she doesn't hate games then who cares?

Not to mention that Drew actually worked in the industry beforehand, I guess people backed off once they realized that Drew plays simulators and they didn't want to mess with that lol.

Antiwhippy

I'm not sure the premise is true. Drew was constantly harped on in those old bombcast threads for not talking about or knowing games.

Playing games sure, because he barely plays them. Like even with Drew creating a series purely to learn about MGS I don't think I've heard people go "WHAT HE NEVER PLAYED MGS BEFORE OR KNOW HOW TO PLAY IT?"

My memory is people going "oh cool glad he's checking it out now". They didn't question his credibility over it.

BTA

Not sure if I am understanding you correctly but if so it will show you your shot percentages, if you will be in range, etc when you select move and hover over your potential movement spots. It shows as white text under the enemy health bar.

Rabbids is pretty awesome. Got to the chapter 2 mini boss today, excited to fight it!

For characters with shotgun-style weapons, they have a spread (with only closer enemies being hit for full damage) and it's hard to tell how/who they'll shoot for what damage in advance if you don't have their spread ranges memorized. Then you get there and it turns out you're in a situation where you could in theory shoot multiple people but it's decided that's not how you're shooting (in my case the preview from where Peach was currently had a spread shooting in front of her and diagonally in front but upon placement, it didn't, though I think that was diagonal weirdness in play) and then you're screwed. This is of course not even including the phenomenon of "my spread would include you both if I could just aim at the center" which sucks and is frustrating but is at least understandable.

And also if you're not in range of an enemy to begin with you can't even see the preview of how the spread might work anyway, and you also only get the damage prediction for your current placement as well. The tacticam shows your range but only in the sense of any tile you could possibly hit with the farthest tile of your spread, if that makes sense.

I'm really enjoying it a lot in general; I just wish the tacticam stuff was actually as useful as it could be.

TraBuch

Banned
People constantly shitted on Drew for not being a "real gamer". It took years for that shit to go away, and even then it never went away fully.

drew just played the same amount of games he would have played if he was working a job that had nothing to do with video games. just a normal human amount not like us weirdos who are always playing games and thinking about them

BTA

I know it's at least partially due to age and not gender in this specific case, but agreed.

I mean regardless of anything... hmm. I don't want to make this a weird thing but this thread doesn't exist in a vacuum and that makes me feel extra uncomfortable about certain jokes/memes/whatever that might not be as big of a deal otherwise. I mean that in the sense that the "Abby hates stories" stuff is something she's actually seen (on here, specifically) which already makes me feel like that sort of thing should not be perpetuated as a joke, but also in that it's probably not a great idea to contribute to needlessly questioning the gaming creed of women online even as a well intentioned joke.

and also as a 22 year old who grew up being bad at the original Sonic games and replayed Sonic 1 in the past few weeks: that game sure does immediately demand you to do some pretty annoying platforming and not just run fast despite what you've been told, huh

Mr. F

Banned
The people who recommended The Polygon Show were on point. It's absolutely fantastic. Everyone is incredibly likeable, has great chemistry, and the banter so far has been top notch. They seem to have a nice range of tastes in games, too. Like, there's at least one person who's a fan of JRPGs.

For those who missed the earlier conversation about podcast recommendations, this is a podcast starring four women who work for Polygon. There are 14 episodes so far, plus 1 mini pilot episode. I listened to the most recent one, and liked it enough that I decided to listen to it from the beginning.

Gotta agree, that beyond the obvious refreshing thing of it being hosted by women, there's a very playful level of shitting on each other and themselves that's super persistent. They're slowly peeling themselves open episode by episode and I have no doubt it's going to keep going that way for a while.

Glad you dig it - I've been listening to more in the backlog today as well as I got through some work. Like you mentioned the chemistry is fantastic and Ashley in particular is hilarious. Also making me realize that I think this might be the first games podcast where I'm closer in age to most of the hosts - hearing their anecdotes growing up with games that actually land in my frame of reference is neat.

it happening
jO5xZhn.png

Gurrry

Abby is becoming one of my favorite members. Shes hilarious and I could care less if she isnt giving us in depth hot takes on the latest video game bangers all the time.

Nerokis

Gotta agree, that beyond the obvious refreshing thing of it being hosted by women, there's a very playful level of shitting on each other and themselves that's super persistent. They're slowly peeling themselves open episode by episode and I have no doubt it's going to keep going that way for a while.

Straight up still the best album of the '10s so far.

Totally. They do a fantastic job engaging with one another. In addition to the general playfulness, they actually ask each other follow-up questions (!) sometimes. It's a great dynamic.

Also, I'm tempted to agree about MBDTF. It's one of those "I remember when I first heard this" albums. Even remember the Washington Post review I read after hearing it, for some reason.

Some people really have a tough time comprehending someone finding Sonic confusing.

It's a strange franchise. I don't care if you beat it in 20 minutes as a 5 year-old. If you so happen to walk into it with the wrong mindset (think, I don't know, Jeff and Quantum Break or whatever that game was), and fumble the negotiation between the game's emphasis on speed, Sonic's weird platforming feel, and this bizarre, replayability-oriented take on exploration, you can feel uniquely disconnected from the entire experience. People usually aren't at their most effective when they feel confounded by the basic act of navigating through a game.

Abby asking for a Sonic coach was ridiculously appropriate. It shows she was giving the game the benefit of the doubt, and senses she just needs to tweak her approach.

I don't know that this is true, but yeah, I definitely wish there was less of that scrutiny.

As much as people throw up their hands at Dan supposedly "getting off at being a heel" or whatever, I'm basically alright with all the shit he gets precisely because he's pretty well adjusted to it. He seems responsive to criticism to some extent,, but also doesn't take it too seriously.

Ben and Abby, on the other hand, are new to this. It bums me out to think that we've made their adjustment period more difficult.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Some people really have a tough time comprehending someone finding Sonic confusing.

It's a strange franchise. I don't care if you beat it in 20 minutes as a 5 year-old. If you so happen to walk into it with the wrong mindset (think, I don't know, Jeff and Quantum Break or whatever that game was), and fumble the negotiation between the game's emphasis on speed, Sonic's weird platforming feel, and this bizarre, replayability-oriented take on exploration, you can feel uniquely disconnected from the entire experience. People usually aren't at their most effective when they feel confounded by the basic act of navigating through a game.

Abby asking for a Sonic coach was ridiculously appropriate. It shows she was giving the game the benefit of the doubt, and senses she just needs to tweak her approach.

/QUOTE]
and yet her confusion was immediately followed by jeff bakalar and vinny saying their small children like playing it

she and you are overthinking it.

I found it a fair complaint. I knew how to do it because, well, I grew up with the games. But something like down+jump for a spindash isn't the most intuitive thing in the world for a platformer so I couldn't fault her for that.

I picked up Mania because I have a Switch and figured why not? The game is charming, nostalgic, has great music. The gameplay is hot garbage and always has been.
You're nuts.

While Drew was still at GB I wasn't really browsing GAF at the time so I don't know what the general feeling was there, but if I'm just giving a very vague scaling of it I prefer Abby's input to Drew's. I mean I liked Drew as an occasional but once he became a mainstay of the cast it was like okayyy get on with your story about how you motorcycled off Everest through flaming hoops and seamlessly transitioned into jetskiing in shark infested waters so that the rest can get to the video games. Like aside from his Flight Simulator talk I barely recall a peep of video game talk about him and more about how he was vying for the title of world's most interesting man.

Nerokis

and yet her confusion was immediately followed by jeff bakalar and vinny saying their small children like playing it

she and you are overthinking it.

Sonic is probably the first game I ever played.

This doesn't mean that I expect adults to immediately take to Sonic's design.

TraBuch

Banned
While Drew was still at GB I wasn't really browsing GAF at the time so I don't know what the general feeling was there, but if I'm just giving a very vague scaling of it I prefer Abby's input to Drew's. I mean I liked Drew as an occasional but once he became a mainstay of the cast it was like okayyy get on with your story about how you motorcycled off Everest through flaming hoops and seamlessly transitioned into jetskiing in shark infested waters so that the rest can get to the video games. Like aside from his Flight Simulator talk I barely recall a peep of video game talk about him and more about how he was vying for the title of world's most interesting man.
Drew's life outside of video games is way more interesting than people that don't really know how to go in depth about video games talking about video games. Clothmap proves that.

Antiwhippy

Hmm, let me change my original proposition then. While Drew might get scrutiny for the frequency of his gaming habits, his knowledge on them is never really questionned. Abby, who has shown to be a very frequent gamer and has gaming as one of her main hobbies, has her credibility questionned because she was born too late for sonic?

I mean even disregarding the Drew comparison, which may be flawed, but we had a whole section of brad asking how to play sonic, but we don't qusstion his credibility?

I mean in general, just don't do that. it's kinda shitty honestly.

Hmm, let me change my original proposition then. While Drew might get scrutiny for the frequency of his gaming habits, his knowledge on them is never really questionned. Abby, who has shown to be a very frequent gamer and has gaming as one of her main hobbies, has her credibility questionned because she was born too late for sonic?

I mean even disregarding the Drew comparison, which may be flawed, but we had a whole section of brad asking how to play sonic, but we don't qusstion his credibility?

I mean in general, just don't do that. it's kinda shitty honestly.

I think Abby gets treated differently by the community, yes. But, I also think drunk Leigh Alexander got treated very differently both by the community AND staff when compared to other intoxicated guests.

At least Abby hasn't had her credibility challenged by being asked what her Gamerscore is yet. At least no one on staff has posted a IM thread calling her a psychopath or sociopath. At least no one has posted frame by frame screencaps of Abby hoping for a nip slip. And so on.

TBF other drunk shenanigans were mostly at the expense of the people there at the time (like Vignocchi with Lang). Meanwhile Leigh would go on to say how people that liked Bioware games were losers.

swimbuff

Maybe I missed something but who's questioning Abby's game cred? Is it some comments on the site?

I was amused that Abby had trouble figuring out the Sonic spin dash as well. As a kid playing the Genesis I didn't know that as well but it's something you figure out after 5 minutes of experimenting with the controls. Nothing on Abby though, it's likely anyone else her age would have had the same issue. Just goes to show how different games are designed now. Sonic Mania should have had a controls tutorial.

Antiwhippy

I mean I've also grown to really not like the way leigh alexander was treated especially in light of latter drunk shenanigans (greg miller, the fucking trainwreck of the last few E3s). Iwould like to think that the staff nowadays wouldn't have treated her the same way they did back then, though the way the community reacted was WAAAAAAY worse.

Hasney

While Sonic Mania will be played by kids who get it because they dont think and probably dont even need to beat levels to have fun until they figure it out and get them into Sonic, I think it should be realised at this point that it wasn't made to bring new people in.

It doesn't need a tutorial or redesign because it was made to put a smile on the faces of those people who loved the old games. Not all games need to be made for a broad market. It's great the way it is.

Top Bottom