• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

BTA

I don't know about Mania but regarding Sonic, it was really weird for me to be reminded a few weeks ago that Marble Zone was the second Zone in Sonic 1. Just going immediately from Green Hill to somewhat tricky lava platforming.

I don't think I ever got past it as a kid?

swimbuff

Sonic is bad game design? Like what? That's like saying Dark Souls is bad game design because it doesn't explain any of the mechanics and you keep dying at the same boss over and over again because you haven't figured out how to beat it and you're trying to play it like any other 3rd person action RPG.

Don't compare Sonic against Mario design standards. Mario is a classic platformer. You're meant to edge forward slowly (comparatively) and address each obstacle one at a time as they come at you. Sonic is like pinball. You unleash Sonic at full speed, doing your best to influence where he goes by jumping at just the right time, hitting the right bumpers, springs, jumppads etc. It's different by design.

Hasney

You know what is awesome? How Gamestop in Germany is unable to accept my store credit or gift cards, and also is unaware of the Amazon Cash thing they do. Guy didn't bother to try scanning the card or do any research on the Amazon thing either despite me telling him it's a store policy.

What the fuck is the point in being a Gamestop if you are so cut off from the company?

They're literally a different company that just franchises the name. It would be the exact same if you had McDonalds credit or some shit. These things aren't worldwide and none of the European Gamestops are doing the Amazon Cash thing at all.

Store policies aren't worldwide.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Eh tbf Dark souls actually does spend a whole level just explaining the mechanics to you.

Like the only thing it doesn't really explain are the online mechanics.

I don't think I've ever lost a boss fight because I didn't understand the mechanics.

swimbuff

Yea maybe I could have structured the sentence better. If you came to Souls games expecting it to have "conventional" game design, you're gonna have a bad time and hate it. It's why so many people bounced off off Demon Souls in the beginning because people didn't "get" it.

Sonic is the same way, playing it sucks if you don't get it but once you do it's a fun time.

oti

Banned
Sonic is bad game design? Like what?

Gotta go fast! - > until you don't, because obstacles stop you

Gotta do some platforming! - > too bad the controls are bad and sluggish

Gotta collect rings! - > although you'll lose all of them except one if an enemy or obstacle hits you

Gotta do some exploring! - > have fun exploring in this messy labyrinth and let's just hope you don't find yourself under water

When people told me Sonic levels are supposed to be re-played I thought they were kidding at first. It's a confusing mess for someone who didn't grow up with Sonic. It's contradicting itself and at the end of the day it's a bad platformer, since the controls are bad.

Gotta collect rings! - > although you'll lose all of them except one if an enemy or obstacle hits you

Gotta do some exploring! - > have fun exploring in this messy labyrinth and let's just hope you don't find yourself under water

When people told me Sonic levels are supposed to be re-played I thought they were kidding at first. It's a confusing mess for someone who didn't grow up with Sonic. It's contradicting itself and at the end of the day it's a bad platformer, since the controls are bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYDsz1NFBJw

Antiwhippy

Gotta go fast until obstacles stop you isn't really that valid. My favourite platformer ever, Dustforce, is pretty much about finding the fastest time while traversing obstacles.

As long as the mechanics support it.

Like look at this pretty simple level, but it's so satisfying to play just because of the mechanics needed to get as small of a time as you can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N8P-tTMyyI

Oh, well would you look at that. The year of games also has what is apparently a great Metroid game on the 3DS. Why am I not shocked?

congrats to those looking forward to it! It ain't enough for me to get back to my 3DS though

Hasney

All i know is that Sonic is still being debated already weeks out from its release in 2017 and it warms my goddamn heart.

Sabas

Banned
Dan's playing at being a heel. Is it so shocking that people would react negatively?

Problem is that he's doing this in what should be a cooperative effort. This isn't Sunshine or Mario Party. Him actively looking out for himself at the expense of everyone else is aggravating and tiresome. It's a worn out gimmick at this point and will continue to be annoying.

Jakoo

The people crying about Dan in those comments is some pathetic shit.

I was so surprised at the reactions in the comments after watching that episode--I thought Dan's changing of the name was hilarious. It's going to be hilarious to see Abby's reaction when she realized Dan pulled that shit, lol.

When reading the comments, I honestly couldn't believe that people were so "invested" in the "character" of Dave Lang. The Exquisite Corps is a great series, but it's not this great piece of meta-fiction that is going to spawn a Twitch Plays Pokemon level of fandom.

Let Dan fuck around and leave parting gifts for his teammates to react to, having people clean up other peoples messes is what the essence of the series is.

Problem is that he's doing this in what should be a cooperative effort. This isn't Sunshine or Mario Party. Him actively looking out for himself at the expense of everyone else is aggravating and tiresome. It's a worn out gimmick at this point and will continue to be annoying.

Dan played that round well, successfully completing a mission while only losing one trivial recruit. It doesn't seem as though he is trying to tank the cooperative efforts.

swimbuff

Keith Stuart argues that Sonic has 'incorrect' game design, and is much more eloquent than me in making his points:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jul/27/why-sonic-the-hedgehog-incorrect-game-design

It's a different approach to a platformer than what people expect when they hear the word 'platformer'.

StoveOven

Banned
Dan's playing at being a heel. Is it so shocking that people would react negatively?

But he didn't do that this time. He played the mission pretty reasonably, and the only person who died was a Rookie. Sure he kept his own guy back, but that guy was also a Sniper so it made sense regardless. Like, changing the names is kind of dumb, but it's not "at the expense of everyone else"

I'll wait and hope for a Switch version down the line. Will definitely check out some 4K videos though. Should be pretty.

Oh, well would you look at that. The year of games also has what is apparently a great Metroid game on the 3DS. Why am I not shocked?

congrats to those looking forward to it! It ain't enough for me to get back to my 3DS though

Today on "Games I want on the Switch"

I want every game on it. Is that too much to ask?

patapuf

I'm not a fan of him changing names but he isn't sabotaging the playthrough. Him looking out a bit more for "his" unit is not the funniest bit, but it's not going to make them loose any missions either.

There's almost no way to be too conservative in EW.

oti

Banned
Today on "Games I want on the Switch"

I want every game on it. Is that too much to ask?

I've never played the game but according to HLTB it's almost 40h long. I don't want to play that on TV if I can avoid it. Unless it's Ni No Kuni 2. That game I need to play on day UNO.

swimbuff

I hope the console release for WotC fixes the performance issues as I so want to get into a strategy game right now but I've held off due to the reported problems with the PS4 version of the base game. Mario + Rabbids is scratching the itch for now, but I need the panacea of an XCOM.

patapuf

I hope the console release for WotC fixes the performance issues as I so want to get into a strategy game right now but I've held off due to the reported problems with the PS4 version of the base game. Mario + Rabbids is scratching the itch for now, but I need the panacea of an XCOM.

It (mostly) did for the PC version, i don't see why that wouldn't translate to consoles.

hamchan

I just played the Marble Zone in Sonic 1 and I don't see the pinball or going fast aspect in these stages. Felt like going through it slowly was the way to go.

BTA

I just played the Marble Zone in Sonic 1 and I don't see the pinball or going fast aspect in these stages. Felt like going through it slowly was the way to go.

Yup. If you go fast in Marble Zone, you're gonna get burnt.

And again, that's Zone 2 of Sonic 1. Obviously stuff's changed over time, but it was weird to go back to.

Lari

After beating Sonic Mania I was left with the urge to try and beat the first 3 sonic games (which I never could as a kid)

oh yeah i'm reminded of another portion of the gb audience i'm not a fan of. the too cool for school crowd. yeah, the idea that acting like a troll and having people react negatively is such an unbelievable thing that only lame nerds do. i don't know what's going on in the site comments section, but i don't think i said anything unreasonable here.

dan enjoys being a dick. i don't think it's amusing in co-op streams. he's still a good guy, and i love a lot of his other work.

anyway, i'll stop talking about it now!

anyway, that destiny 2 nightfall was great. looking forward to this new one. would love to see the crew take one on for a stream, but apparently this monday's murder island was good, so they'll probably keep doing that instead. but hey, the bombcast should have some real good destiny 2 talk, so i'm fine with that for now! jeff and brad are probably excited for the raid. i wonder if they'll try it anytime soon!

Antiwhippy

My thumb prays that it never does, but it's easily my favourite raw platformer. Replaying levels hundreds of times didn't even feel so bad with such amazing music accompanying it.

Yeah, everything from the mechanics to the music just hits my bliss point so hard.

Omg I defended the Sonic games in an online forum. Does that make me a... Sonic fan?

I feel so dirty now.

be sure to show us your Sonic Forces OC.

Top Bottom