• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

Aen do a podcast where they invite other "video game personalities" on and do business role playing with them

I don't know how much weirder they can go

New premium feature - MondayCraft

Jeff/Jason/Brad all start a new vanilla Minecraft seed the first episode and see if they can get to The End.

(I would legitimately watch this if this was a thing)

BiggNife

Dave is working as a website guy for a startup I think

He left GB because with the GameSpot buyout they basically redid all of his website work to make the site work in the GameSpot CMS

Mr. F

Banned
Hearing that the characterizations are pretty much exactly what I thought in Destiny 2 makes me feel a lot better about not being in a rush to play it

Random PC Game, Breaking Brad, Load Our Last Save, Spelunkin With Scoops, Load Our Last Souls, Spookin With Scoops, FUCKING SCRUB LEAGUES.... most of the great video features are from that era. Edit: A lot, not most.

Plus having all of those guys together at one time means even 'average' content back then was better than a lot of what you have now. I mean, pretty much everything on the West coast is boring, so you're relying on 50% of the staff now (and to be fair to East, fucking hell are they nailing it).

If I had to pick, I'd have less video content, but that gang back together for the superstar Bombcast and the less frequent but great video series...

i really miss tested and screened, but honestly the only part of that era that I REALLY miss about giant bomb is Ryan. (obviously)

I think the beastcast and the bombcast being their own separate wonderful things is better than a really great bombcast.

I too miss Hardcore Dave Snider. :(

It might be worth considering that Austin joined post-GG, if only because I feel like the staff showing their political beliefs more in the wake of that (which is maybe a little later than I would have liked, but still) probably did push some shitty people out of being fans.

But I think it would be pretty foolish to say that Austin definitely faced less shit from supposed fans than Patrick. I mean, even ignoring the fact that he is a leftist man of color, I've seen numerous people blame him for "ruining" GB or saying they followed him on Twitter because of GB while disagreeing with his politics etc. in the last 24 hours alone.

Yeah, it's pretty much "put up or shut up" now so people are either OK with his very realistic-minded leftiness at worst or are Gaters one. Before that he would have come off to much more as "preachy".

Course now after certain events the gloves are off and Black Marx ain't takin' no prisoners.

I feel the opposite

Patrick suffered because he was the first guy to come into GB and more publicly talk about issues in the games industry and culture.

He left doing that but his entrance was a bit rough, and not just his "new guy" status. He was very square peg in round hole for about a year at times. He found his footing as newshound and straight guy to alot of their antics later, once his friendship with Ryan bloomed.

Have you seen the X-corps comment section.

I see people who still don't get Dan in his fourth year at the site, if that's what you mean.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I've been listening to old Beastcasts recently

remember being excited about Persona 5? feels like a lifetime ago

It's a good game man.

Weirdly enough though the one award I thought it's a lock for (best stylllllllllle) isn't even a lock for me anymore.

Tagyhag

Destiny 2 could be 3 story missions and 1 strike and Brad would still force it on the top 10 list on "The shooting is good!" alone.

I'm happy that it's going to be a VERY interesting top 3.

i really miss tested and screened, but honestly the only part of that era that I REALLY miss about giant bomb is Ryan. (obviously)

I think the beastcast and the bombcast being their own separate wonderful things is better than a really great bombcast.

Disagree. The Bombcast was something that made my week. Now the Bombcast is good to mediocre, and Beastcast is very good to great, but neither fill the hole of that classic Bombcast.

TraBuch

Banned
I still go back and listen to the This Year compilations from 2013 and back. Like, often. When I need something playing in the background and I don't need to really pay attention, I go to the 2010 compilation and immediately skip to the Nintendo Downloads section.

rcfrvOc.jpg

choice gamertag

Salarians

it's funny, P5, a game I was looking forward to for years and expected to love ended up feeling like a waste of my time

and BOTW, a game I initially had zero interest in, has drawn me in in a way very few games have in the past few years

Still no QLs on the upcoming section. Wonder what's taking them so long.
no more QLs, just a tweet telling you if it's good or bad

Zeroro

Had a blast with P5 in the summer and would've immediately started NG+ if not for the fact that I just didn't have the time.

Someday...

Salarians

pfffft, just be thankful you weren't a mass effect fan or anything
I was wary of ME:A from the moment it was announced that it was being made by the people behind that abysmally boring Omega DLC

and besides, ME:A was somewhat entertaining in just how terrible it was in every single aspect

P5 is a fine game, I just didn't like it

BTA

I really enjoyed P5 but by the end I had definitely soured on the story and some of the combat (so I used all the money I'd farmed to just fill most of the compendium and make it even more broken). Loved a lot of those 116 hours but it's also not going to be anywhere near my favorite thing I played this year.

TraBuch

Banned
Persona is the only game to come out this year that I've personally felt lived up to the hype. It's everything I wanted in a new Persona game and more.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I've grown to accept that Persona 5 won't be my most favourite game of the year but still a pretty good game that I've enjoyed.

Mr. F

Banned
I have to finish that damn thing. I finally got to a point where it opens up but I might start over since its been so long

Zeroro

Persona is the only game to come out this year that I've personally felt lived up to the hype. It's everything I wanted in a new Persona game and more.

I downloaded the soundtrack when the game first came out in Japan last September and listened to Rivers in the Desert basically on loop, and I still listen to it pretty damn frequently. That track alone makes P5 deserving of Best Music.

So far P5 is still my favorite game this year but I've yet to play Yakuza or Zelda so I don't necessarily expect that to last.

But yes, deffff best music.

Hindl

Persona 5 is good but yeah the story drags and is poorly paced

Music is incredible though. I do want to play it again because it's oddly one of the only games I've played where I like just fucking around in the world. It's probably because of the music and art design though Life Goes On
Too little vocal tracks man.

Like that's probably why P5 still doesn't live up to previous persona OSTs for me.
Eh I thought it had a good balance of vocal and non-vocal tracks

Zeroro

Best music is secretly the hardest category. Sonic Mania came in a destroyed my list. So much good music this year.

That's gonna be the most heartbreaking category for me to get through come GOTY deliberations. I've been listening to
Metallic Madness Zone Act I
(I have no idea if people care about Sonic Mania spoilers at this point, but whatever) a ton lately, and that game also very much deserves massive recognition in respect to its soundtrack.

Top Bottom