• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

imBask

Banned
I still get angry thinking about the hateful messages people sent to Patrick when his dad passed away. The way he was treated by the community was straight up garbage.

This has nothing to do with the community, it's garbage people doing garbage things.

not that its a contest but Patrick got more hate than Austin. The amount of hate Patrick got was straight absurd.

I don't remember it but I believe it. Patrick was first to broach many topics related to social justice and identity politics. By the time Austin came on I'm sure the most vocal shitbags had already left or been forced to leave the community.

BTA

What does that mean?

(Serious question)

Presumably they are nonbinary or agender but I have only seen their pronouns listed and not how they describe themself beyond that so I'm not going to label them.

I'm not really comfortable discussing this further because beyond talking about someone's gender being a minefield to begin with they are also not involved with the site/fans as, say, Jason's wife is. I just thought it was worth bringing up so that we could drop that speculation.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It probably helped that Austin could be funny while Patrick kinda came off as trying really hard.
I feel the opposite

Patrick suffered because he was the first guy to come into GB and more publicly talk about issues in the games industry and culture.

imBask

Banned
Look, you can't tell me that Giantbomb doesn't have shitbags in the fandom.

i'm not, i'm saying every single community on earth has garbage people, so equating that to the community doesn't mean anything

I wasn't a big fan of Austin or Patrick, I still follow both on twitter and i'm not sending them garbage

I didn't like Patrick on GB at first because he didn't seem like a fit with their, uh, aesthetic. Also he was kind of goofy on the 1up Show and it was just a weird clash of worlds in my head. Though by the end of his run I was sincerely sad to see him go.

Austin was always cool to me. 👍

TraBuch

Banned
I feel the opposite

Patrick suffered because he was the first guy to come into GB and more publicly talk about issues in the games industry and culture.
Of course that's why he got the hate. But I do feel that if he was naturally funny, which he wasn't, he would've gotten more leeway. Austin is a more naturally charismatic and funny Patrick.

Snagret

This has nothing to do with the community, it's garbage people doing garbage things.
I mean, they weren't random people. They were members of the community of fans of the site. Some of the more hateful and rude ones were even members of GBGaf. I get what you're saying, every internet community attracts shitty people if it gets big enough. But there was a lot of hate directed towards Patrick from a lot of GB fans. Sweeping that under the rug as just "people gonna people" doesn't seem like a good way to avoid letting the same thing happen again.

In all my years of livin' here's my advice kids, someone will always find something to bitch about. always.
Btw, Off topic, but i recently discovered that you can get those angry onions that you get on the angry whopper as a side and I've been obsessed with it.

Help.

you are already dead
If we're going for DEEP CUTS, what about Dave fucking Snider. Where the fuck is that duder.

(and by extension Krazy Karen Snider)

I think some people just prefer to lead private lives for the most part, at least that's how I am.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
As in from Burger King? Because I recently made a topic about the Angry Whopper and I got a few replies mentioning that they still have Angry Whoppers in Australia.

Yeah. It's hungry jacks here but it's the same franchise.

Part of the reason i posted about it here is because i saw your topic.

TraBuch

Banned
Yeah. It's hungry jacks here but it's the same franchise.

Part of the reason i posted about it here is because i saw your topic.
This makes me so angry. I refuse to give money to Burger King until they bring back the Angry Whopper and make it a permanent menu item.

It's so fucking good. It's literally the best fast food burger ever. All the ingredients go so well together.

images

I haven't seen Willow in forever, damn. Bringing back all kinds of memories.

BTA

It might be worth considering that Austin joined post-GG, if only because I feel like the staff showing their political beliefs more in the wake of that (which is maybe a little later than I would have liked, but still) probably did push some shitty people out of being fans.

But I think it would be pretty foolish to say that Austin definitely faced less shit from supposed fans than Patrick. I mean, even ignoring the fact that he is a leftist man of color, I've seen numerous people blame him for "ruining" GB or saying they followed him on Twitter because of GB while disagreeing with his politics etc. in the last 24 hours alone.

Man I miss Dave. I think the Daggerfall/Phantasmagoria videos are still some of my favorite pieces of gb content to date.

I liked the TF2 TNT they did with Will Smith and Gary Whitta where Dave talked about his first websites.

I think he talked about it on the Quake TNT too.

It might be worth considering that Austin joined post-GG, if only because I feel like the staff showing their political beliefs more in the wake of that (which is maybe a little later than I would have liked, but still) probably did push some shitty people out of being fans.

But I think it would be pretty foolish to say that Austin definitely faced less shit from supposed fans than Patrick. I mean, even ignoring the fact that he is a leftist man of color, I've seen numerous people blame him for "ruining" GB or saying they followed him on Twitter because of GB while disagreeing with his politics etc. in the last 24 hours alone.

some people are just fucking idiots, it can't be helped. like this dumbass.

Only problem with Extra Life is Ian usually tags along.

I wouldn't say I dislike Ian as such, but I'd prefer it was just Drew and Alexis.

I always loved the first Octobercast that Tested did when Alexis and Drew rolled in drunk (the night they took that pic in the forklift) and were just a mess. Drew was complaining that Alexis didn't introduce him to enough women when they go to bars the sly dog.

Always confusing as you'd imagine Drew walks into a bar and underwear comes flying at him.

It's what I'd do.

BiggNife

If you miss Patrick and Austin then please listen to Waypoint Radio

I know Waypoint gets shit because it's "too political" or "lol Vice is pretentious bullshit" or whatever but Waypoint and more specifically the podcast has really come into its own the past few months and it deserves more attention than it gets

Hindl

Ben is awkward in a way no other person at GB is. Which is fine. I just wish he wouldn't go after every opportunity for a stupid joke that doesn't land and creates an awkward pause. Abby is really good at playing off the bad jokes she makes.
Yeah I feel for him because I'm the same way. I hear silence and feel the need to fill it, or I feel like I always need a quip or wisecrack in group conversations, and a lot of times it just doesn't land. And that's just me in normal life, it must be multiplied by 100 if it's your job to be entertaining and on camera.
I feel the opposite

I agree

If you miss Patrick and Austin then please listen to Waypoint Radio

I know Waypoint gets shit because it's "too political" or "lol Vice is pretentious bullshit" or whatever but Waypoint and more specifically the podcast has really come into its own the past few months and it deserves more attention than it gets

Agreed.
That movie was pretty bad.

The fact that Val Kilmer ad libbed most of his dialogue will never not be funny to me.

Only problem with Extra Life is Ian usually tags along.

I wouldn't say I dislike Ian as such, but I'd prefer it was just Drew and Alexis.

I always loved the first Octobercast that Tested did when Alexis and Drew rolled in drunk (the night they took that pic in the forklift) and were just a mess. Drew was complaining that Alexis didn't introduce him to enough women when they go to bars the sly dog.

Always confusing as you'd imagine Drew walks into a bar and underwear comes flying at him.

It's what I'd do.

oh my

you have a link to this? I need to see drunk drew

I didn't like Patrick on GB at first because he didn't seem like a fit with their, uh, aesthetic. Also he was kind of goofy on the 1up Show and it was just a weird clash of worlds in my head. Though by the end of his run I was sincerely sad to see him go.

Austin was always cool to me. 👍

Patrick's hire and retirement from GB were complete polar opposites in my opinion.

The first time I really remember him doing something that I noticed one way or the other was when they were doing one of the 4-player Lantern Run Runs for whatever that weird Xbox live game was that had them. I wanna say like Insanely Shadow Planet or something.

He was on with Ryan, Will Smith, and a 4th person who I can't remember offhand.

It sticks out because Ryan was giving Will a hard time (and they were obviously friends) and Patrick just rode the shit out of Will with insults that didn't seem friendly. From that point forward for a few months, if not the next year, I REALLY didn't like the way he came off that first day for me and I could never listen to when he was involved.

By the end, he became (in my opinion) a really well spoken and adjusted adult/husband/almost father, and I was genuinely sad to see him leave GB. He added a different perspective the rest of the "older" guys didn't have, and it was a nice change of pace.

I'm really hoping Ben has that same trajectory on the site, but it's yet to be seen.

Again - only my opinion.

Top Bottom