• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

BiggNife

Ben is young and doesn't have an improv comedy background like Abby so its taking some time for him to fit in but I can tell he's trying

I honestly like Ben and think he can be pretty funny. He has really good comedic chemistry with Jeff and it feels like he filled the hole that Dan left pretty well in that regard.

The only time I'm a little iffy is when Brad and Ben are on a quick look together. Brad is too low energy and Ben needs someone like Jeff to bounce off on.

Edit: Also the GB YouTube commenters are toxic like the rest of YT's commenters. The GB forums are a lot less harsh on Ben.

GUYS

GUYS

HEY GUYS

THERE IS A LIVE ACTION YAKUZA MOVIE

I REPEAT

FILM AND 40S

tumblr_oti05oibCI1wqchmuo3_250.gif

Ben is young and doesn't have an improv comedy background like Abby so its taking some time for him to fit in but I can tell he's trying

I honestly like Ben and think he can be pretty funny. He has really good comedic chemistry with Jeff and it feels like he filled the hole that Dan left pretty well in that regard.

The only time I'm a little iffy is when Brad and Ben are on a quick look together. Brad is too low energy and Ben needs someone like Jeff to bounce off on.

Edit: Also the GB YouTube commenters are toxic like the rest of YT's commenters. The GB forums are a lot less harsh on Ben.

I've heard a few times (mostly on here, some on Reddit) that the GB forum mods try to keep most of the toxic shit off of the site. I can respect that, but I also think it's disingenuous to hide from ALL the negative. There's usually something that can be taken away from a nicely stated negative comment, but I doubt the ones they're getting rid of are nicely stated.

Hindl

Yeah Ben's getting better and I do like him playing off Jeff. But also Jeff now has someone to play off too and I like him a lot in recent months. And yeah, he doesn't work well with Brad. Personally, Brad solo streams > Brad + anyone but Dan or Vinny streams

Ben's okay I guess, maybe my lack of love for the guy is tied to the fact that he sounds like Ross from Friends.

Now Abby on the other hand, is a G.

The GB forums are an echo chamber where all negativity is dismissed as "hating".

I think the worst I've ever said about the site (in my head or online) is that certain features aren't the best, or if we're looking at people that work there, that Ben/Patrick have bothered me. I'm just one person, I don't expect them to read my posts and say "Oh shit, he thought UPF was boring again this week, change it now!"

It does kind of bother me that after having a subscription since the inception of it (and having all of the yearly Whiskey Media shirts plus newer GB only ones), that if I would dare to post to one of them "Hey guys, decade-ish long fan here, that last UPF with all Steam trash games was boring", that I'd automatically be written off just because 'online hater, cancel your subscription if you don't want to see it.'

BiggNife

I've heard a few times (mostly on here, some on Reddit) that the GB forum mods try to keep most of the toxic shit off of the site. I can respect that, but I also think it's disingenuous to hide from ALL the negative. There's usually something that can be taken away from a nicely stated negative comment, but I doubt the ones they're getting rid of are nicely stated.
I will say I've seen firsthand that GB mods will just straight up delete a string of conversations if they think it's getting heated so there's probably some truth to that

But also YouTube comments are a cesspool where sites like 4chan game the system and up vote the most negative hurtful comments so I really wouldn't take those at face value either

TraBuch

Banned
On one hand, it's made by Takashi Miike. On the other, it's made by Takashi Miike.
I remember when I was in high school and people first discovered Ichi The Killer and then it started spreading around and I literally had seven different people in a two week span telling me "You've gotta see Ichi The Killer! That shit is crazy!"

BiggNife

Also I will say that I don't think the GB forums just purge all negativity because the comments for the recent Exquisite Corps is just full of people who are complaining about how tired they are of Dan's heel persona. So Im not sure saying "it's just an echo chamber" is entirely fair.

E: lol antiwhippy beat me to it

BTA

If you miss Patrick and Austin then please listen to Waypoint Radio

I know Waypoint gets shit because it's "too political" or "lol Vice is pretentious bullshit" or whatever but Waypoint and more specifically the podcast has really come into its own the past few months and it deserves more attention than it gets

I took a long break from Waypoint Radio (they'd go deeper into new games than I'd like sometimes and so I fell off to avoid spoilers and just never got around to listening again till a month or two ago) but it really is great. Latest episode in particularly really goes hard and real when talking about the Pewdie stuff.

(and anyone who misses Austin should ABSOLUTELY check out Friends at the Table)

I don't know Ben's background post-internship that well but was he really doing any podcast/video stuff that wasn't Podburglars? When I binged some of that soon after he joined he was really funny on it (the overall quality of the podcast is pretty iffy/dated and also, uh, contains Nick Robinson though) and so though I haven't watched most West stuff lately I think it really will be a matter of establishing more chemistry over time.

GUYS

GUYS

HEY GUYS

I REPEAT

FILM AND 40S

tumblr_oti05oibCI1wqchmuo3_250.gif

It's directed by Takashi Miike too!
I say as if the Ace Attorney movie isn't the only movie of his I've seen

I remember when I was in high school and people first discovered Ichi The Killer and then it started spreading around and I literally had seven different people in a two week span telling me "You've gotta see Ichi The Killer! That shit is crazy!"

His films are all over the place but I appreciate his absurd and weird take on things.

people (including a part of the neogaf thread at the time) REALLY hated Patrick for his first year.

i liked Patrick and I like Ben now, but just anecdotally, I think Ben seems to be getting less hate than Patrick did initially.

kingocfs

The GB forums are an echo chamber where all negativity is dismissed as "hating".

We live in a world where people are telling tremendous audiences of children that they aren't sure why using the "N word" is bad. I have absolutely no problem with wholesale erasing any and all nonsense to stymie ignorance. There are plenty of other outlets.

Vinny has brought this up on the Beastcast before.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Truth.

Will never be topped. We've seen the golden age of Giant Bomb come and go.

Especially with all the people they had around them during that era from WM.

For podcast sure, but people forget that there really wasn't that much content before, well, Dan.

There was a time where the main GB content were just the bombcast, WM happy hour/UPF, TNT and quick looks. Plus the occasional big stream.

For podcast sure, but people forget that there really wasn't that much content before, well, Dan.

There was a time where the main GB content were just the bombcast, WM happy hour/UPF, TNT and quick looks. Plus the occasional big stream.

Random PC Game, Breaking Brad, Load Our Last Save, Spelunkin With Scoops, Load Our Last Souls, Spookin With Scoops, FUCKING SCRUB LEAGUES.... most of the great video features are from that era. Edit: A lot, not most.

Plus having all of those guys together at one time means even 'average' content back then was better than a lot of what you have now. I mean, pretty much everything on the West coast is boring, so you're relying on 50% of the staff now (and to be fair to East, fucking hell are they nailing it).

If I had to pick, I'd have less video content, but that gang back together for the superstar Bombcast and the less frequent but great video series...

BTA

Random PC Game, Breaking Brad, Load Our Last Save, Spelunkin With Scoops, Load Our Last Souls, Spookin With Scoops, FUCKING SCRUB LEAGUES.... most of the great video features are from that era. Edit: A lot, not most.

Plus having all of those guys together at one time means even 'average' content back then was better than a lot of what you have now. I mean, pretty much everything on the West coast is boring, so you're relying on 50% of the staff now (and to be fair to East, fucking hell are they nailing it).

If I had to pick, I'd have less video content, but that gang back together for the superstar Bombcast and the less frequent but great video series...

...I think of all of those I've only watched a few Random PC Games.

I only remember like 1 scrub league.\

I do miss breaking brad a lot though.
Yeah I think it was just Mortal Kombat, but man it was good.

...I think of all of those I've only watched a few Random PC Games.

Be warned, Spelunkin With Scoops made me put over 100 hours into Spelunky and made me realise it was one of the best games ever made.

But you need to watch all the classic content, like... now.

qlcrew.com makes it easy.

Start with How To Build A Bomb. That flea bomb...

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
We're now in the era of "weird giant bomb" (I don't just mean Dan, I mean an era where there was a long running feature about Kerbal Space Program) and I'm loving it

Salarians

We're now in the era of "weird giant bomb" (I don't just mean Dan, I mean an era where there was a long running feature about Kerbal Space Program) and I'm loving it
Aen do a podcast where they invite other "video game personalities" on and do business role playing with them

I don't know how much weirder they can go

Top Bottom