• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT33| LOOK AT THAT CORN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

derFeef

yes, but addictive

Winners_Dont_Use_Drugs.png

Strax

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past is called The Legend of Zelda: Triforce of the Gods in Japan. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is called The Legend of Zelda: Triforce of the Gods 2 in Japan.

Are you telling me that the game that is literally a sequel to a Link to the Past is not a mainline Zelda game?

I don't see how that matters. Uncharted: Golden Abyss is a prequel but that's not a mainline game.

Hindl

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past is called The Legend of Zelda: Triforce of the Gods in Japan. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is called The Legend of Zelda: Triforce of the Gods 2 in Japan.

Are you telling me that the game that is literally a sequel to a Link to the Past is not a mainline Zelda game?
I agree with your overall point but does this make Yoshi's Island a mainline Mario game?

Lari

So it's like a direct-to-video sequel, then.

Ps.: I love Link Between Worlds

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Hell, Final Fantasy alone proves numbering and direct sequels mean nothing. Almost nobody would argue X-2 is a "mainline" FF game and many/most would say 11 and 14 aren't either.

Catvoca

Banned
"Mainline Game" is a meaningless distinction when a series is so vast and varied and none of them follow up with eachother.

Super Mario RPG is the most mainline game as far as I'm concerned.

So the game that sets up Metal Gear Solid V, introduces numerous characters crucial to that game, establishes motivations for Big Boss and the formation of Outer Heaven, and was called Metal Gear Solid 5: Peace Walker during development is not a mainline Metal Gear Solid game. Even though Ground Zeroes (a mainline game by your definition) begins with a recap of Peace Walker, it's a completely inessential, non-canonical spinoff, entirely because of the platform it was on.

So the game that sets up Metal Gear Solid V, introduces numerous characters crucial to that game, establishes motivations for Big Boss and the formation of Outer Heaven, and was called Metal Gear Solid 5: Peace Walker during development is not a mainline Metal Gear Solid game. Even though Ground Zeroes (a mainline game by your definition) begins with a recap of Peace Walker, it's a completely inessential, non-canonical spinoff, entirely because of the platform it was on.

Don't take the low quality bait man

Wunder

the Online component of Wardor seems frustrating as hell to play. You assault other players fortresses but you're putting your own Orcs on the line for the assault. Any orc you capture (their warchiefs) in the assault don't get taken back to your base but any orc that you put up for the assault are dead when you go back to your own world. All I got was a level 10 loot box out of it, and I'm level 25.

the mario thing isn't maddening because of being canon or handheld or whatever, it's that Dan and Tim's reasoning is completely arbitrary even compared to those. it's based on the fact that there's an option for full co-op in a series that has long had various multiplayer or helper co-op modes, and that it's a 3D game that has 2D elements so it somehow doesn't count when both 2D and 3D games count, including the spinoff 2D games

the argument that New Super Mario Bros. doesn't count either is even worse, because the new in the title literally referred to the fact that it was the first new mainline 2D mario in 14 years. that's what it meant!!!!

kiguel182

On one end Peace Walker defines a lot of story elements fundamental to V.

On another Kojima blows everything up at the start of V and goes like "let's do it again!" making the game almost completely moot.

It's still an essential part of the story still.

EDIT: Also, Dan's reasoning for Mario 3D Wold not being mainline makes zero sense. Same for New Super Mario Bros yeah. It all makes no sense.

Strax

I never said it was inessential or not part of the canon. I also never said handheld games can't be mainline but to in the case of Zelda, Mario, Uncharted and Metal Gear they aren't.

Don't take the low quality bait man

No, I want to see how far he can take this stupid bit.

It's not a bit or bait. It's just how I feel.
Nothing more, nothing less.

GBE Demo Derby Playdate: Super Mario Odyssey (10/27/17) HD GAMEPLAY

Hasney

I put some other hot sauce on scrambled eggs and it works great. Don't fuck with Frank's though unless I'm hungover enough to get a Domnio's, then I get the Frank's dip.

daveo42

Banned
Just tried Frank's Red Hot on some scrambled eggs

It was disgusting

However

This was more disgusting
bby why are you doing this :(

:p

I feel sorry for your taste buds. Frank's is my go-to hot sauce. You can put that on most anything. I've eaten saltine crackers with Frank's on it and it was real good.

imBask

Banned
Scrambled eggs are the only way to eat eggs, otherwise the white tastes meh and the yellow tastes meh, but together they are good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom