• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT33| LOOK AT THAT CORN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The discussion about loot boxes I also thought was pretty good this Beastcast. That's usually something I go to GBWest for because Gerstmann is often so well-balanced in these conversations, but I actually thought Vinny brought a lot of valid concerns to the table.

Although, they described Overwatch as being the kickoff for this stuff, whereas I would maybe point to mobile games or CS:GO.

I think TF2 may have been the one to start it

The discussion about loot boxes I also thought was pretty good this Beastcast. That's usually something I go to GBWest for because Gerstmann is often so well-balanced in these conversations, but I actually thought Vinny brought a lot of valid concerns to the table.

Although, they described Overwatch as being the kickoff for this stuff, whereas I would maybe point to mobile games or CS:GO.

Loot boxes have been around team fortress 2

But it was Overwatch that made the concept click with everyone. So naming Overwatch as the kickoff point isnt incorrect.

Applebite

Loot boxes have been around team fortress 2

But it was Overwatch that made the concept click with everyone. So naming Overwatch as the kickoff point isnt incorrect.
TF2 is probably a better bet than CS:GO, but I still think mobile games started this trend.

I don't really think Overwatch "made the concept click with everyone", I think it was just the first time it really entered the Giant Bomb sphere, if you will. CS:GO gambling is what really made it blow up I think, because items suddenly had a market value, and it was around then games like H1Z1 started adding that stuff as well. I wondered for a while if Blizzard were going to make a sort of market for items themselves with Hearthstone and Overwatch, but I think the real time auction house in Diablo was such a flop that they didn't want to touch that. And obviously they didn't need it, considering how much money they've made.

Aren't the stories in Animorphs like really fucked up sometimes?

Yup! Basically child soldiers forced to fight a battle against yellow fat worms that crawl into peoples brains and take them over, and forced removal will incapacitate the host. Also theres a sub plot where they meet essentially a god like figure that is simply using them as a chess piece against another god like figure in an endless game.

Animorphs is so good.

So it sounds like Wardor might be Dan's GOTY for the month. It'll be funny when Zelda doesn't even make his personal top 10 yet he claims up and down it's the best game ever made.

Aren't the stories in Animorphs like really fucked up sometimes?

The first books repeatedly referenced the transforming process as like something out of David Cronenberg's The Fly and that's on the very mild end of the overall fuckery. There's some real shit that happens and it really destroys those kids (and the random alien accompanying them).

J_Viper

Animorphs_SR_cover.jpg

PS4 Pro remaster when?

The first books repeatedly referenced the transforming process as like something out of David Cronenberg's The Fly and that's on the very mild end of the overall fuckery. There's some real shit that happens and it really destroys those kids (and the random alien accompanying them).

Boy does it. When they forced another kid to get stuck in the body of a mouse by forcing him to go into a vent and basically blocking his exit, meaning the he couldnt morph back into a person without crushing himself to death.

BTA

My knowledge of Animorphs is entirely based on me reading the first few books when I was a kid and then glancing at a wiki a year or two back.

Doesn't Animorphs end with one/some of the main characters going on trial for the intergalactic war crimes they committed?

I also remember something about someone turning into a bear, losing an arm, and then attacking someone with that arm?

Nerokis

nah, it's the same spirit that made him put on a waluigi outfit and think up one of the best features the site has had. And if some folks get heated about mario along the way? that's fine

Yep. I mean, I go into this thread, see that Dan has said something to cause some backlash, scroll back. . .and it ends up being related to his opinions on Dungeons & Dragons, Lord of the Rings, and Mario.

It's possible GBGAF, like much of the internet, is prone to overreaction.

My knowledge of Animorphs is entirely based on me reading the first few books when I was a kid and then glancing at a wiki a year or two back.

Doesn't Animorphs end with one/some of the main characters going on trial for the intergalactic war crimes they committed?

I also remember something about someone turning into a bear, losing an arm, and then attacking someone with that arm?

I can't remember about the bear part but I think I remember that.

As for the former, I believe there were some humans that went on trial, but none of the main characters that I can remember.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
*open thread*

*everyone is talking about Dan having shitty opinions all serious like*

"oh god no don't let him have said something offensi-wait its just his stupid Lord of the Rings comment?"

Yep. I mean, I go into this thread, see that Dan has said something to cause some backlash, scroll back. . .and it ends up being related to his opinions on Dungeons & Dragons, Lord of the Rings, and Mario.

This thread *never* overreacts, especially at the smallest things. Oh wait :)

BTA

Ok I hit the tabletop bit and… I don’t understand what the issue is with Dan’s thoughts here?

Like from an outside perspective DND is super overwhelming looking because it seems like you have to know all the exhaustive arbitrary rules, while (to my understanding as I’ve only played a little of it) want you really want is the DM to guide you through what rules actually matter to them. That kind of overwhelming situation really gets my anxiety going because I don’t know how much I should know or how to get started or if I’m doing things right etc. etc. I don’t know if Dan’s is the same but I could see it being part of it.

Other tabletop roleplaying games I’ve actually read the rules of mostly seem a lot more straight forward (even if it’s not written/explained well) in how things feed into each other and what players actually need to know. But then again most of those game are more intended for oneshots and/or are very storytelling focused vs being simulation/mechanics heavy.

anyway I’m interested to see how he handles a non-DND/Pathfinder style game during holidays (especially because I think Austin can explain things to Dan well) and also I hope Abby is in it too

Kaibutsu

This thread *never* overreacts, especially at the smallest things. Oh wait :)

I think this would be less of a thing every time if people just understood Dan likes what he likes, hates what he hates and will never change (New Dan was a lie). He loves to push buttons and piss people off cause he thinks it's funny. It's not like he is doing anything different from what he has been doing his entire adult life lol. The only thing I don't like are his terrible health stories from him self admittedly being a dumb ass. I don't handle painful or gross stories very well...

Clockwork5

Dan gave us the coaster video, the oreos and cheese, Mario Party Party, Steal My Sunshine, and countless other pieces of excellent, if troll-esque, content. I love Dan and Giant Bomb would be less Giant Bomb without him.

Metal Gear Scanlon.

That in itself was like a year's worth of some of the best content GB has ever produced.

Almost forgot the Mario Maker showdown with Patrick. Say what you will about Dan, the content he has brought to GB has been outstanding.

Nerokis

Are they really opinions if they are just phrased in ways to get a rise out of people?

In a sense, both?

They're real opinions that are partly contextualized by the fact that a large number of people are constantly engaging with them. I mean, on some level, we can all relate to that; it's just amplified in Dan's case because of the position that he's in, and because of the strange person that he is.

Picross S is very good

I didn't think I'd like it as much as Picross 3D, but it's pretty much just as good.

Thanks to Dan for being the one to get me into the series!

I tend to not really care too much about that shit but when he goes off on some pro-corporation shit, or basically runs his mouth on anything even remotely political despite having the insight of an 11-year old, it does annoy me.

And there's no denying Dan is basically trying to troll 99% of the time. He WANTS to get a rise out of people, because that's just the kind of lame-o he is. So it shouldn't be surprising when it happens. I wish he'd get over it.

- J - D -

Pffft

Vinny/Alex/Austin was peak GB east.

This. That era struck the best balance of fun and focused, intelligent talk. I love Dan and Abby but they don't really add much in the latter. Austin leaving left a huge vacuum in that regard.

Now you get hour-long digressions about stuff like mars colonization that, while funny, are pretty dumb.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Dan's opinions are bad but it seems to be genuinely known

Jeff's trash fire opinions he tries to force as fact and right and normal and that everyone who disagrees with him is a whiny internet commenter.

This. That era struck the best balance of fun and focused, intelligent talk. I love Dan and Abby but they don't really add much in the latter. Austin leaving left a huge vacuum in that regard.

Now you get hour-long digressions about stuff like mars colonization that, while funny, are pretty dumb.

I think giant bomb is at its best when they’re joking around and being ridiculous. Austin was great when he was joking around with vinny and Alex. When it came to “intelligent” talk he would often control the conversation which led to some boring stuff imo. Abby and dan have great chemistry with everyone which lead to some pretty funny antics.

The only time Dan pissed me off is when he posted on Twitter a few years back that voting is stupid and pointless. I quit following him for a while. He's gotten a lot better. Contrarian opinions on trivial shit like what is considered a core Mario title I can handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom