• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OTXXX| Fondle it

Status
Not open for further replies.

TraBuch

Banned
Serious question, what's wrong with someone saying they don't like Ben's voice? People freak the fuck out if you mention his voice because it's out of his control, but when someone's voice is the primary tool of a job, isn't not liking that voice a legit criticism?

Personally, it doesn't bother me but I can 100% understand why somebody would find him hard to listen to.

Joeku

Who says I'm "hung up" on it, what a stupid thing to say. Yes let me continue this conversation in good faith after you started it by patronizing me. I hate online discourse.

e31.jpg

gaf is hella spicy today

Also, has anyone done the new game plus/ultra hard mode for horizon? I played it thru once on hard and loved the challenge and was wondering if ultra hard on ng+ is worth checking out

imBask

Banned
Serious question, what's wrong with someone saying they don't like Ben's voice? People freak the fuck out if you mention his voice because it's out of his control, but when someone's voice is the primary tool of a job, isn't not liking that voice a legit criticism?

Personally, it doesn't bother me but I can 100% understand why somebody would find him hard to listen to.

I agree, his voice irritated me a little at first but I got used to it already

also I feel like it got better already, probably got over the initial stress

Lunar FC

I literally cannot stand it. But I'm slowly coming around to Ben, very slowly.

How would you like to be "criticized" for EVERY. LITTLE. THING. YOU. DO at work? Especially on things you can't control?

SummitAve

Banned

Because on the internet, especially a public place such as GAF, you are pretty much just telling it to their face. The internet is a big part of their job so shit gets around even if it's not seen directly. All you have to do is literally put yourself in their shoes, and remember life rule #1: treat others how you would like to be treated. You want people telling you your voice ruins something they like? Fucking easy.

How would you like to be "criticized" for EVERY. LITTLE. THING. YOU. DO at work? Especially on things you can't control?

You can control the way you talk tho. I say this whenever it comes up but the problem isn't his voice but his register. You think your average hyped up radio DJ talks like that in his daily life? A lot of people whose job involves lots of talking take vocal coaching. And Ben's job is, largely, talking. So it's a fair criticism. As long as people aren't dicks about it (like in the youtube comments, but what else is new)

You literally said you 'lost all interest in the game' after that moment, which is kind of the most someone can get hung up on something in a game?

I also said I had little to begin with. And The Proving is kind of the big first act climax, and I left it even less invested in the story than I was going into it, so it felt like I just had nothing to keep me going afterwards because I really don't care for the runnin' around in that game.

Lari

TraBuch

Banned
Because on the internet, especially a public place such as GAF, you are pretty much just telling it to their face. The internet is a big part of their job so shit gets around even if it's not seen directly. All you have to do is literally put yourself in their shoes, and remember life rule #1: treat others how you would like to be treated. You want people telling you your voice ruins something they like? Fucking easy.

I don't get paid to entertain people with my voice. If I was a radio DJ, you're fucking right I'd like to know if my voice is irritating, because I'd like to keep my job.

This is why I think GB is too close to their fanbase. In the end, none of them are our friends. They're entertainers. You think the GB fanbase is toxic at times? It's nothing compared to the McElroy fanbase and you know why that is? Because the McElroys don't know how to draw a line. Everybody in that fanbase thinks they're a close personal friend and get personally offended on their behalf, which leads to everyone withholding criticism because they're terrified of being attacked by all of the McElroy's "friends", which inevitably leads to a worse product.

GB would do well to avoid that.

jwhit28

Anyone else having trouble with GB content and Chromecast? If I try to Chromecst anything live, it starts me at the beginning and even if I don't mind being behind, when the stream ends I can't finish the video. With VoD, content the audio has been choppy.

I don't get paid to entertain people with my voice. If I was a radio DJ, you're fucking right I'd like to know if my voice is irritating, because I'd like to keep my job.

This is why I think GB is too close to their fanbase. In the end, none of them are our friends. They're entertainers. You think the GB fanbase is toxic at times? It's nothing compared to the McElroy fanbase and you know why that is? Because the McElroys don't know how to draw a line. Everybody in that fanbase thinks they're a close personal friend and get personally offended on their behalf, which leads to everyone withholding criticism because they're terrified of being attacked by all of the McElroy's "friends", which inevitably leads to a worse product.

I think it's quite wrong to make that kind of judgement on people or GB in general when the biggest problem I feel is that complaints ≠ constructive criticism. Here's how it looks like when it's done right.
(As if I already don't love Dan a whole bunch. I enjoyed HomerJamesBond007316's book alot.)

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Depends on what we're criticising though. I get that people can find his voice grating, but at some point we do come to giantbomb for their natural personalities in a way, and not exactly for media trained ones though at this point the core crew is just experienced enough to make it natural. It's not like it's exactly easy to change the way you've been talking naturally. Which you could argue then that Jeff should never have hired someone who doesn't have a media friendly voice, which I'm sure some people would agree with.

Fwiw i think he's been trying to avoid going down that range, but he does end up sounding more restrained. Doesn't seem like something that comes naturally yet.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Dan and the former Kelptok both take criticism a lot better than the rest of the staff. I don't think it's fair to cite examples of one or two people as the whole site taking it well.

Alex and Vinny take it pretty well too.
Jeff and Brad are who I'm referring to

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom