• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

Rainmaker

Banned
I can't think of hardly anything more amazing than some of the GB staff reading for different characters in the Airforce Gator audiobook. I wish that was possible.

AXqEVHY.png

i can see it i guess

peter's was accurate to the point of creepy.

what have they done to to poor sweet Murry's face??

...who's the guy that looks like Morrissey?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I would totally buy a Brad VO'd audiobook even if that book is about a alligator that joins the Air Force.

there you go. Giantbomb Cast Member Audiobook Variants for the Best Selling Amazon book Air Force Gator.

Collect Them All!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Gawd, Driveclub. Driveclub! Man. Jeez.

You know the one thing I disagree with Jeff on about DC are the graphics. The way Evolution studios handled the atmospheric effects are jaw dropping. I have never, EVER seen a game nail something as simple as a partly cloudy sky, or clouds covering the track, or the mountainside being shrouded in darkness for a minute as a large scatter of clouds moves along. It is amazing. If Evo announced they were getting out of the game business and focus exclusively on licensing out their Driveclub engine to other devs, I'd be over the moon. It is breathtaking. You really have to see it in person to appreciate it. Forza will never look this good. I have a hard time imagining any other racing game on consoles looking this good.

But holy crap, all of that is in service to a game that is just fundamentally broken to me. I can imagine a hardcore sim with tuning and realistic handling to be a fun, awesome getaway from Gran Turismo that focuses on supercars and has a blend of online and racing challenges. Or a super awesome Ridge Racer inspired game with boosts and Motorstorm like mayhem (these tracks have a very Ridge Racer next gen-like feel, so much so that I just daydream of slipstreams when racin'). Man, what fun those two types of games would be.

But no, what we have here is an arcade like handling game that punishes you for using arcade like strategy. I can't approach it like a sim game because it has no tuning, no customization, no purchasing strategies of what my next car should be, and no handling that's even close to what a sim game feels like. I can't really approach it as an arcade game because it punishes any type of free-wheelin' arcade strategy that I might employ like cutting a corner or going off track for a second.

I just don't understand what happened. DC is such a disappointment, man, what a bummer. I still hope that Evolution sees success with the game, if only so that they can put this engine to good use with a Motorstorm game, but who knows. Man. Man!

I think it's just because it's a launch game that's no longer being judged on the launch game curve. I can't imagine how bad the reviews for Knack or Ryse would've been if they were released now instead of at launch.

There is a weird narrative of "it's for people who want a serious no-nonsense racing game with realistic physics, but not for those weirdos that want a serious no-nonsense sim racer with realistic physics" going on with this game that makes the comments pretty hilarious to read.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I think it's just because it's a launch game that's no longer being judged on the launch game curve. I can't imagine how bad the reviews for Knack or Ryse would've been if they were released now instead of at launch.
I honestly wish DC was released last year so Evo would have had it behind them already.

Man just woke up and feels like someone has punched me on my left side of my face. I guess all of today will be spent watching giantbomb dot com content.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

You know the one thing I disagree with Jeff on about DC are the graphics. The way Evolution studios handled the atmospheric effects are jaw dropping. I have never, EVER seen a game nail something as simple as a partly cloudy sky, or clouds covering the track, or the mountainside being shrouded in darkness for a minute as a large scatter of clouds moves along. It is amazing. If Evo announced they were getting out of the game business and focus exclusively on licensing out their Driveclub engine to other devs, I'd be over the moon. It is breathtaking. You really have to see it in person to appreciate it. Forza will never look this good. I have a hard time imagining any other racing game on consoles looking this good.

But holy crap, all of that is in service to a game that is just fundamentally broken to me. I can imagine a hardcore sim with tuning and realistic handling to be a fun, awesome getaway from Gran Turismo that focuses on supercars and has a blend of online and racing challenges. Or a super awesome Ridge Racer inspired game with boosts and Motorstorm like mayhem (these tracks have a very Ridge Racer next gen-like feel, so much so that I just daydream of slipstreams when racin'). Man, what fun those two types of games would be.

But no, what we have here is an arcade like handling game that punishes you for using arcade like strategy. I can't approach it like a sim game because it has no tuning, no customization, no purchasing strategies of what my next car should be, and no handling that's even close to what a sim game feels like. I can't really approach it as an arcade game because it punishes any type of free-wheelin' arcade strategy that I might employ like cutting a corner or going off track for a second.

I just don't understand what happened. DC is such a disappointment, man, what a bummer. I still hope that Evolution sees success with the game, if only so that they can put this engine to good use with a Motorstorm game, but who knows. Man. Man!

Hopefully EVO can address those penalty elements - they seem to really attract criticism but should be something relatively easy to improve?

I don't necessarily think you need full tuning and livery options like forza, but nkt even allowing a colour choice is nuts.

Xater

Could not disagree more. I think the handling is really fun and I love the penalties. It encourages clean driving while having an easier handling model. Have you played PGR2 or 3 online? Those games turned into destruction derbies that's why most races online were played without collision. What's the point of that? Might as well just do time trials at that point. You might as why then have it in offline races as well and the answer is easy, to teach you how to properly drive. Just because it's arcadey doesn't mean it has to turn into Burnout with people t-boning each other.

There is a weird narrative of "it's for people who want a serious no-nonsense racing game with realistic physics, but not for those weirdos that want a serious no-nonsense sim racer with realistic physics" going on with this game that makes the comments pretty hilarious to read.

"So, you want a realistic, down-to-earth show... that's completely off-the-wall and swarming with magic robots?"

I think I can offer a theory on why there are no assists and tuning options. The game's progress is built pretty heavily on comparing everything you do on the road to other players and other clubs which becomes much harder to do if everyone is fiddling with all sorts of different knobs and variables. They probably settled on simply levelling the play field so everyone's cars handle the same and no one is placed at a disadvantage just because they don't know how to set up their car properly.

I think I can offer a theory on why there are no assists and tuning options. The game's progress is built pretty heavily on comparing everything you do on the road to other players and other clubs which becomes much harder to do if everyone is fiddling with all sorts of different knobs and variables. They probably settled on simply levelling the play field so everyone's cars handle the same and no one is placed at a disadvantage just because they don't know how to set up their car properly.

Honestly i think that's exactly what they did then added the extra penalty stuff for the people being jerks/trolls regardless.

But that comes with a huge risk because if someone doesn't like what they offer for some reason the whole thing tumbles with no way of recovery.

Why couldn't they have just tagged times with the conditions? (level of assistance, modified/unmodified, etc) Could've set up a system like "_____ on your friends list set this time with this car with these modifications, want to try to beat his time? Do you want to modify your car? Do you want to use his settings?" On the one hand it does seem convoluted, but I feel like in many racing games I reach my "limit" capped by my general racing skill fairly quickly and I run out of things to do if I'm just trying to beat a number.

It's certainly possible that they set out to make a "spartan" racing game by not including a bunch of features that are common in the genre, but it seems like the more straightforward explanation is that they didn't have the time or resources to implement everything. It doesn't make sense to release a racing game that's missing enough features for it to alienate people, whatever your personal preferences are about what you need in a racing game.

hamchan

Honestly i think that's exactly what they did then added the extra penalty stuff for the people being jerks/trolls regardless.

But that comes with a huge risk because if someone doesn't like what they offer for some reason the whole thing tumbles with no way of recovery.

Pretty much. If you're into the handling then it'll be a good game for you. If you're like Jeff and dislike it, then there's no other options for you to change. It then just becomes a bad game.

Haunted

I haven't been to too many Driveclub threads, but all I'm hearing of it seems like it's a Simcade racer, like GRID.

Real cars, good graphics, circuit racing, damage simulation but the cars have an arcade handling.

Since I haven't played it, I guess there must be a reason why Simcade and related comparison hasn't come up much, it's just that everything I'm hearing about it makes me want to put it into that subgenre/point in the racer spectrum.

Jintor

This P4AU QL is great.

Sounds like Atlus are trying to charge ridiculous prices for everything but I guess it's a pretty good game and if you really want glasses I guess you would be into that or something. idk?

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Why couldn't they have just tagged times with the conditions? (level of assistance, modified/unmodified, etc) Could've set up a system like "_____ on your friends list set this time with this car with these modifications, want to try to beat his time? Do you want to modify your car? Do you want to use his settings?" On the one hand it does seem convoluted, but I feel like in many racing games I reach my "limit" capped by my general racing skill fairly quickly and I run out of things to do if I'm just trying to beat a number.

I hope the next gt does something like this. GT6 introduced decent online leaderboards for their seasonal events, but being able to create a group (or club) for your friends, and then set your own challenges with a specific car and setup would be really cool.

demidar

This P4AU QL is great.

Sounds like Atlus are trying to charge ridiculous prices for everything but I guess it's a pretty good game and if you really want glasses I guess you would be into that or something. idk?

Dan would be all over glasses. He loves that shit.

Zocano

Oh shit! They're doing a Styx: Master of Shadows quicklook.

That's great. I'm absolutely loving it. The game is just a love letter to thief with some amazing level design. I hope they like it.

Top Bottom