• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

FluxWaveZ

I really wish Persona spin-offs were attached to something better than a fucking Arc fighting game.

ASW is the best company to have handled a Persona fighting game. What, would you have rathered NetherRealm?

I was just thinking how entertaining it'd be to watch Dan play through Persona 3, 4 or maybe even 5. It won't happen because I don't think they'll ever do another ER for a Persona game but man that'd be awesome.

As opposed to the original Endurance Run, the VJ DP ER and even something like BioForge, it would just be constant mockery at the game's expense instead of slowly acclimatizing to it and genuinely enjoying it. Guess it'd be entertaining in its own right for that.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
ASW is the best company to have handled a Persona fighting game. What, would you have rathered NetherRealm?
I would have rather not have a fighting game.
Arc also has some of the worst character designs in the history of video games.

They should have made Kenka Bancho: Kanji edition instead

The Persona 3/4 story is so strange. To get the full thing, you have to own 3 different consoles and play two 100+ hour JRPGs, two hardcore fighting games, a dungeon crawler, and a rhythm game. I have respect for anyone that's actually keeping up with it.

dear diary: today, someone told me they have respect for me...

how about Etrian Odyssey

how about Project Divaahahahhahahah jesus christ

FluxWaveZ

yep, people don't like anime fighting so they obviously prefer NRS garbage

nailed it

I was kidding.

I would have rather not have a fighting game.
Arc also has some of the worst character designs in the history of video games.

They should have made Kenka Bancho: Kanji edition instead

Well, the P4A series has been pretty successful in several ways, so a fighting game spin-off was obviously a good idea. Atlus seems to like studio collabs as of late as well as experimenting, so what you want could very well happen eventually. It's a good strategy to expand the brand into several kinds of different IP, attracting potentially new fans to the main series as a result.

convo

Getting through and experiencing what the recent Persona games have brought forth does in my opinion, take whole lot of love for the franchise but enough reason to not turn apathetic at every little inconsistency and flaw the spin offs have brought in your opinion. I have considered watching the anime but held off on it and since the golden anime i don't really want to.
The folly of being to much of a fan will make you waaaaay more sensitive to the "product line" that comes of your favorite thing. I understand why the crew didn't like the ending to Catherine, it was too crazy/dumb for their expectations they got of persona 4. I sorta knew that atlus likes to make gods and geometric figures with and without faces on them, that are also gods, final bosses in their games and the fact that the Persona team made catherine did not stand in the way of this tradition. If you had told me that it didn't involve supernatural bs to the max then i would have called you a fraught. Your love for the franchise, and your individual expectations can make you blind to the reality of things.

sixghost

As opposed to the original Endurance Run, the VJ DP ER and even something like BioForge, it would just be constant mockery at the game's expense instead of slowly acclimatizing to it and genuinely enjoying it. Guess it'd be entertaining in its own right for that.

I totally would have preferred P4 Arena made by Netherrealm. At least the story mode wouldn't have been 95% reading text if they made it. Maybe I actually would have finished the story mode then.

daydream

Banned
So, Sleepy Dogs DE seems to be up early on Steam or something?

A good occasion to have Beast stream it on Friday, I would think. 0:)

convo

I totally would have preferred P4 Arena made by Netherrealm. At least the story mode wouldn't have been 95% reading text if they made it. Maybe I actually would have finished the story mode then.

I can't fault you for not liking those games. They are made for people that are already invested into that sort of anime and VN thing. Hating on it being an anime fighter is rather pointless if it was going to cater to this anime fighting audience in the first place.It's what popular in japan where the marketing and developers are. They target young age groups that love the Persona games and spend their money on it. Doing a western approach isn't an idea that would be on their mind.

mileS

Man, if only I was good at fighting games and was willing to put the time in to learn all the crazy amounts of systems in that Persona 4 Arena game. At least its cool to watch people play? I don't know. The amount of fan service is right up my alley being a P4 super fan.

Reallly tempted to eventually get a vita and finally play golden. P4 on the go sounds amazing.

So, Sleepy Dogs DE seems to be up early on Steam or something?

A good occasion to have Beast stream it on Friday, I would think. 0:)

There doesn't seem to be that much of a difference between the definitive edition and the original according to the comparison thread ( ._.)

justjim89

Surprised there hasn't been any vitriol over Dan saying Episode 1 was better than any Lord of the Rings movie. I've never seen anything from either franchise, but both sets of fans seem like a defensive bunch.

Surprised there hasn't been any vitriol over Dan saying Episode 1 was better than any Lord of the Rings movie. I've never seen anything from either franchise, but both sets of fans seem like a defensive bunch.

It's so nonsensical that entering a debate about it is a waste of everyone's time.

Nephrahim

I think people took the cue from the people on the podcast and just don't engage Dan in his bad movie opinions.

Or maybe Rorie hates LotR movies too. I dunno.

daydream

Banned
There doesn't seem to be that much of a difference between the definitive edition and the original according to the comparison thread ( ._.)

I know, I just want to see Vinny play more Sleepy Dawgs.

Seems like the DE is a console version upgrade more than anything.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Rewatching the Jeff Sick Day video from 2012, and I realized that Jeff needs to stream a bunch of those lesseer known/shitty original xbox games. Like those two Scooby Doo games.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Rewatching the Jeff Sick Day video from 2012, and I realized that Jeff needs to stream a bunch of those lesseer known/shitty original xbox games. Like those two Scooby Doo games.

Those games are now buried under 4000 other games.

bonercop

it's kind of a shame that he seems to have dismissed P3 so easily, even though I admit it's not as good of a game in either mechanics or story (and the story is decidedly more anime than even P4).

But still, there's a lot of that old familiar character interaction/social link stuff that is handled really well.

oh come on, both stories are maximum anime. the only thing we can really argue about is what kind of animu they are!

oddly enough, I'm pretty sure jeff said the P3 characters had more interesting story modes on the podcast way back when P4A1 came out.

Zomba13

Watching the Alien: Isolation QL and did Dan just drop a spoiler unprompted in the middle of it? (potential character identity spoiler)

During the Samuels transmission cutscene he mentions Samuels is an Android. I'm sure that wasn't mentioned up to that point. I'm a bit further than Brad at that point and don't remember it being mentioned either subtle or explicitly.

I might be wrong and it might've been said earlier on in the game but either it passed me by (like Brad thinks it did him) or it was a spoiler from later on in the game (Dan being further along than Brad).

I mean, I suspected it and expected it to happen but I wasn't certain. If it was announced or hinted at earlier then obviously this is a non thing but it caught me off guard.

Spaghetti

just saw the alien quicklook

complaining about save spots and checkpointing kinda falls flat when you just walk past places to save, and this is from someone who did get frustrated with the same sequences brad and dan did

Watching the Alien: Isolation QL and did Dan just drop a spoiler unprompted in the middle of it? (potential character identity spoiler)

During the Samuels transmission cutscene he mentions Samuels is an Android. I'm sure that wasn't mentioned up to that point. I'm a bit further than Brad at that point and don't remember it being mentioned either subtle or explicitly.

I might be wrong and it might've been said earlier on in the game but either it passed me by (like Brad thinks it did him) or it was a spoiler from later on in the game (Dan being further along than Brad).

I mean, I suspected it and expected it to happen but I wasn't certain. If it was announced or hinted at earlier then obviously this is a non thing but it caught me off guard.

Probably was a spoiler since it wasn't mentioned in the game up to that point (or the point that I'm at now) but it's Alien, so
OF COURSE someone has to be a secret android and I had that dude pegged from the beginning, confirmed it by shooting him in the head as soon as I met up with him on the station.

FStop7

Banned

complaining about save spots and checkpointing kinda falls flat when you just walk past places to save, and this is from someone who did get frustrated with the same sequences brad and dan did

Nah, single save slots suck. Dan even called out being stuck because he was insta killed by the Alien every time he spawned due to a save point.

Nephrahim

He seemed to think it was mentioned earlier in the game. Is that not true?

If so, they could have checked and edited that out...

Spaghetti

Nah, single save slots suck. Dan even called out being stuck because he was insta killed by the Alien every time he spawned due to a save point.
that's why the game allowed you to go to the next previous save or in an absolute pinch the start of the mission. the design is fine for the game it is, even in the first alien encounter there are a whole three save points in the environment to be used

Myggen

He claimed that that was mentioned very early in the game in a more cryptic way IIRC. Dan had just got up to the point where Brad finished the QL IIRC, so either he was mistaken or you missed the stuff Dan talked about very early in the game. I wouldn't worry about spoilers in that instance.

I think only Dan mentioned that he had missed a save point that one time, and after having played the game 4 hours today I think that's something I will do too in the game at some point because the game is so tense that I sometimes forget to look for save points. If anything will stop me from playing this game it will be the save system. I fucking hate manual only save system, especially in games like this one where it's so easy to die and die to bullshit if you're not careful. Having a system like that to create tension is just a crutch imo, I would've preferred a more frequent auto save system or (this would be my choice) a more normal quick save system. Make the game scary and filled with tension by designing the game that way, not by making the player lose 30 minutes if he fucks up.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
He claimed that that was mentioned very early in the game in a more cryptic way IIRC. Dan had just got up to the point where Brad finished the QL IIRC, so either he was mistaken or you missed the stuff Dan talked about very early in the game. I wouldn't worry about spoilers in that instance.
Yep, you're meant to infer it from the introductory sequence. It's dropped like it's no big deal explicitly later in the game during some incidental in-game dialogue. Not a spoiler at all.

You can also discover this if you try shooting him in the head. Lol video games

This never happens. Enemies reset to randomish locations on reload.

Myggen

This never happens. Enemies reset to randomish locations on reload.

Yeah, I don't think Dan ever said that he was stuck like that at any point, just that he fucked up by missing a save point so he had to go back to where Brad started the QL after the alien killed him.

Man, I only turned on Spookin' With Scoops because I thought he was just playing Alien. I can't handle more Five Nights At Freddy's. ;_;

Are there any original P4A spoilers in the Ultimax QL? I still haven't played it.

None whatsoever! Jeff's even reluctant to say much about Adachi.

shwimpy

Just finished the Alien: Isolation QL. Now there is nothing more than I want than an ER of that game, face-cam and all.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Going through more of the old videos for nostalgia/boredom's sake. And you want to talk about something weird? Way weirder than X-com being their GOTY?

Asura's Wrath being on several top 10 lists. Still SO weird

Top Bottom