• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

The problem is the more you talk about gamers gate the more shit gets turned towards you. Suddenly you're the one getting death threats. So I certainly get the urge to try and not kick the hornets nest. Gamers gate are holding game journalists hostage.

What were the results of the Bombcast survey again? Like 97% male, and almost entirely 18-25? They may not like it, but GB knows who their audience is. They let Patrick deal with the editorials and current issues articles, and GB West can continue to be a QL, podcast, and dumb livestream machine.

Don't worry, I'm sure a fan will send him a new one for free.

He's no Gary Whitta!

Don't worry, I'm sure a fan will send him a new one for free.

I hope he likes Siemens

140px-Siemens_SX1_mobile_phone.jpg

Zaph

They could probably do with talking about it more often, but I imagine that when you've received death threats throughout your two decades in the industry (including scary ones with your address), reporting "hey, this person received a death threat" may feel slightly redundant and even insincere to pretend it's something new.

The much more important story is how attitudes to the internet as a whole need to change, and law enforcement need to demonstrate they're taking it seriously. Recently, here in the UK, a guy was sent to jail for a few months for twitter threats. That should have been a bigger story than it was. I know the US has very different laws when it comes to 'free speech', and I'm not naive enough to believe one prosecution will solve online harassment, but neither will another "hey gamergate sucks" story.

bonercop

A lot worse happening to women across the world than some Twitter death threats, but I don't think any of it is "gaming" news.

it's happening in the "gaming community", to members of the gaming industry, by people who identify as "gamers".

if that isn't gaming news, nothing is.

They could probably do with talking about it more often, but I imagine that when you've received death threats throughout your two decades in the industry (including scary ones with your address), reporting "hey, this person received a death threat" may feel slightly redundant and even insincere to pretend it's something new.

I feel like characterizing this GG situation as business as usual is also insincere. This isn't isolated cases of people being dickweeds, this is targeted, sustained, organized harassment of people in the industry(who all happen to be women).

daydream

Banned
Here's the thing:

GB has the right to deal with GG however they want. I think saying they're taking a 'neutral' stance is a bit reductive considering Patrick's and Alex' efforts but it is not completely false, either.

- however -

People that are part of the fight against discrimination (victims, journalists, feminists, etc.) in turn have the right to ask for GB's support.

This does not obligate GB to take part in this but(!) criticising involved parties for trying to get GB to speak out on the matter is certainly strange. What does it matter to you if GB's opinion on the subject matters to someone else? They have the right to ask for a statement, GB is free to respond in a way they deem adequate.

Tried the HTML5 player? That works perfectly for me.

You think Alex and Patrick has stayed neutral on this? They've seemed pretty clear, especially on today's Bombin'. I would however agree that their opinion isn't the "official" GB stance or whatever, and can understand those who want the main crew to speak out. I think it's pretty clear that Jeff and the rest never support harassment (look at the letter from the editor for example), but I guess people want an explicit denouncement of gamergate as a movement.

Not "stayed", "started" (this is more about the camps being formed about this godawful hydra of an issue. Alex and Patrick are more from the heart, not soldiers in some war fighting under an ideology, hence these calls that they're "not doing enough").

The much more important story is how attitudes to the internet as a whole need to change, and law enforcement need to demonstrate they're taking it seriously. Recently, here in the UK, a guy was sent to jail for a few months for twitter threats. That should have been a bigger story than it was. I know the US has very different laws when it comes to 'free speech', and I'm not naive enough to believe one prosecution will solve online harassment, but neither will another "hey gamergate sucks" story.

The "another" implies there's been such stories, though. And on Giant Bomb, there hasn't. So we'll never know what one more "hey gamergate sucks" story might do until then.

Fox318

Could be insured. Even if he didn't buy specific insurance a lot of home policies cover items taken out of the house.

Most phone insurance plans have a $100 deductible and in some cases they won't replace phones with water damage.

Zaph

The "another" implies there's been such stories, though. And on Giant Bomb, there hasn't. So we'll never know what one more "hey gamergate sucks" story might do until then.

"Another" as in another publication rehashing the same beats. I feel those articles can do more harm than good and I prefer GB's long term positive approach instead (assuming they keep it up). Fuck it, I'm gonna quote myself:

I'm with Jason Schreier in this regard, I'm not sure if it's a reporter's place to actively denounce things. Articles like that recent Verge one don't seem to serve a purpose and come across preachy and pandering. Those on the side of sanity already know that shit is wrong, and the harassers aren't going to stop because publications are uniting their voices - if anything it'll feed into their deluded fantasy of organised corruption and conspiracy.

I think the best way of handing it is to simply give the victims, targets and marginalised creators a regular voice and platform. Show off their work, write about the difficulties of creating fringe content in a risk adverse industry, find out why they stick with it.

These "harassment is bad, mmmmkay" articles obviously aren't working and the anonymity of the internet isn't going away.

Real change requires publications looking at how they cover the *entire* industry and it may hurt their bottom line. They can't write a dozen articles in a week about the latest braindead AAA shootbang, then wonder why their audience doesn't respond positively to more nuanced and conscience critique or games that don't involve mass murder and sports.

The gaming press need to acknowledge they're partially responsible for creating this insular environment and have profited from it for decades - and a handful of pleas to the community ain't gonna cut it.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Not sure if Jeff wants to deal with a bunch of assholes on Twitter right now.
Twitter might be the downfall of humanity. Forget YouTube comments, Twitter is the real evil.

"Another" as in another publication rehashing the same beats. I feel those articles can do more harm than good and I prefer GB's long term positive approach instead (assuming they keep it up). Fuck it, I'm gonna quote myself:

I actually agree with all that, a lot. I think the "give a platform, give a voice" path is much preferable to what may be perceived as preaching. Hell, Samantha Kalman becoming a semi-regular tertiary Duder is fucking awesome, that's a prime example right there.

It's a lot more subtle, though. Which worries me, because we all know how much the internet loves being slapped across the face and screamed at in small words. But seeing how quickly the Kalman reaction went from "muh Christian values" to "fuck yeah she's cool" is heartening.

What would she have them do exactly? They HAVE spoken about it. We know their stance against it. Patrick and Alex talk about it all the time. They even have guests who they talk about it with. Like, really, what does she want them to do?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
What would she have them do exactly? They HAVE spoken about it. We know their stance against it. Patrick and Alex talk about it all the time. They even have guests who they talk about it with. Like, really, what does she want them to do?

Nobody watches Alex and Patrick's show, silly.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I think they should definitely talk about brianna wu, but I got the feeling that other than her incident gamergate is seen as a movement that is about to past irreverencey. It's only fuckwits on Twitter and reddit whose opinions won't change due a preconceived hate of women.

Much like MRA really.

Myggen

Bombin' is usually a good time, especially when there's guests on. Need more Alexa in mah life.

I think they should definitely talk about brianna wu, but I got the feeling that other than her incident gamergate is seen as a movement that is about to past irreverencey. It's only fuckwits on Twitter and reddit whose opinions won't change due a preconceived hate of women.

Much like MRA really.

When your movement's most prominent spokesperson (Adam Baldwin doesn't really count, that guy is just a nutjob) is fucking Milo Yiannopoulos, who has never expressed anything other than disdain towards games before gamergate, you know you've got some problems.

Into

Giant Bomb is that little danky bar, 10 min away from the main city, away from all the noise and controversy, where everyone knows your name, or well, you know theirs. Its a happy place, other than Ryan's unfortunate passing, its always been that nice cozy spot that most of us love to go back to, and stay.

Let the city burn, ill stay at the danky bar

Why the hell name drop gb in a negative way in regards to this. As far as I remember Kleptok wrote articles about this kinda stuff while Kotaku was still posting "hottest boobies in video games" articles.

cara needs to make sure to not get too attached to a job just for like five or ten more years so she's available once cbs gives them another hiring budget

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Not sure if it counts, but as we have this conversation Patrick has posted a story on the Brianna Wu situation.

Patrick's favorite word makes an appearance. Get that man a thesaurus.

In regards to the article, much like with his internet/social media talks, posting the tweets is just going to get more people to do it. Shitbags looks for attention. When you give it to them, they're going to keep doing it.

Myggen

cara needs to make sure to not get too attached to a job just for like five or ten more years so she's available once cbs gives them another hiring budget

She'll just live with various game devs until then, no problem.

Patrick's favorite word makes an appearance. Get that man a thesaurus.

In regards to the article, much like with his internet/social media talks, posting the tweets is just going to get more people to do it. Shitbags looks for attention. When you give it to them, they're going to keep doing it.

I think if you're writing a story about the harassment, you have to at least link to the tweets. But yeah, that's a constant struggle.

Catching up on more subscriber content.

Breaking Brad Demon's Souls:

- I now understand all the Potato_Marshall references
- I'm glad to say that there's someone out there who gets more frustrated than me when missing those damn FUCKING LIZARDS!

Vinnyvania:

- I'm going to have Dracula's theme stuck in my head for at least a week

Is there any real chance of Cara being hired at Giant Bomb or is all this hubbub about her just wishful thinking ? I'd really like for her to work there, but people said in the past that it would be super hard to get a visa and all the paperwork done. :/

Is there any real chance of Cara being hired at Giant Bomb or is all this hubbub about her just wishful thinking ? I'd really like for her to work there, but people said in the past that it would be super hard to get a visa and all the paperwork done. :/

There's precedent for CBSi putting the effort in to get it done, with Danny, though he was already working for Gamespot so it's far from an identical situation. I think it's more that she already applied for Dan's job, she seems to get along famously with all the duders, and people really like her.

GB hires are also rare enough that even a tricky one might work out.

Alucrid

Banned
That "I want more extreme reviews" thread got me thinking. Dan should do a video review of a game while he sky dives from an airplane

bonercop

Much like MRA really.

I wish you were right, but I've been thinking "okay this week is when GG's finally going to fade into obscurity" for a month now, and it keeps going.

There's precedent for CBSi putting the effort in to get it done, with Danny, though he was already working for Gamespot so it's far from an identical situation. I think it's more that she already applied for Dan's job, she seems to get along famously with all the duders, and people really like her.

GB hires are also rare enough that even a tricky one might work out.

Well, if (when?) Giant Bomb New-York decides to hire some people, I hope she applies again. She has good chemistry with the gang.

Myggen

@patrickklepek · 31 minutes ago
We talked about what happened to Brianna Wu (@Spacekatgal) on today’s show, but it deserved space on our site, too. http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/yet-another-developer-leaves-their-home-following-/1100-5043/ …
@Spacekatgal · 22 minutes ago
@patrickklepek Wish I'd known about this before I went on CNN and MSNBC today.
@Spacekatgal · 2 minutes ago
@StephenAtWar so, @patrickklepek recorded something this morning talking about this. so, I think it's just a coincidence.

Top Bottom