• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Of course the comments immediately get swarmed by GG defenders. I swear the only thing they got going for them is to be organised.

Curufinwe

Reading about those GG photoshops I found it kind of interesting that the one she used to say, this is when it gets really offensive, was Phil Fish's classic tweet.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I wish you were right, but I've been thinking "okay this week is when GG's finally going to fade into obscurity" for a month now, and it keeps going.

Oh don't get me wrong, I think the same fuckwits are going to keep being in the movement until the next 'big' MRA movement comes along, but I don't think it's going to grow bigger significantly as it did when it started. In fact I see people who first came on due to game ethics (rightly or wrongly, though I facepalm whenever someone brings up "SHE'S HAVING SEX FOR GOOD REVIEWS") trying to distance themselves from it.

It's just hard for me to decide if condemning them gives them attention and the relevancy they seek or if ignoring them means that you're ignoring a festering problem.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I just don't know how anyone can say Giant Bomb is neutral about it. Do said people never click on a Worth Reading? Just because someone isn't vehement with it doesn't mean they're not taking a stance. What do people expect Jeff to say that Patrick or Alex haven't already said?

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
I wish the whole Gamersgate thing would go away.

I think giant bomb is taking the right stance on being neutral towards all of it.

Neutrility isn't always a good thing.

Like Desmond Tutu said
If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.

Myggen

Oh don't get me wrong, I think the same fuckwits are going to keep being in the movement until the next 'big' MRA movement comes along, but I don't think it's going to grow bigger significantly as it did when it started.

It's just hard for me to decide if condemning them gives them attention and the relevancy they seek or if ignoring them means that you're ignoring a festering problem.

Well, to me it seems like most of the victims want more attention brought to it, and that's good enough for me. That said, what's the right thing to do when we're talking about stuff like this is always difficult to say before you make a choice.

edit: Man the drive-by posters are fast, seeing a few new accounts defending gamergate in only the way gamergate people know how to do in the comment section now.

@patrickklepek · 31 minutes ago
We talked about what happened to Brianna Wu (@Spacekatgal) on today’s show, but it deserved space on our site, too. http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/ye...ng-/1100-5043/ …

@Spacekatgal · 22 minutes ago
@patrickklepek Wish I'd known about this before I went on CNN and MSNBC today.

@Spacekatgal · 2 minutes ago
@StephenAtWar so, @patrickklepek recorded something this morning talking about this. so, I think it's just a coincidence.

for new page

I just don't know how anyone can say Giant Bomb is neutral about it. Do said people never click on a Worth Reading? Just because someone isn't vehement with it doesn't mean they're not taking a stance. What do people expect Jeff to say that Patrick or Alex haven't already said?
Alex and Patrick get enough shit from parts of the GB community already, Jeff is the "face" of the company and is kind of a key figure in the games press.
People value his perspective in a way Patrick's and Alex's isn't.

I feel like there should be a developer and press come together and wave of press / coverage with each big respected party / group condemning these insane personal attacks.

Zornack

I feel like there should be a developer and press come together and wave of press / coverage with each big respected party / group condemning these insane personal attacks.

And then what? Twitter will still suck at stopping this sort of stuff and it will continue to be just as easy to remain anonymous and untraceable on the internet.

Antiwhippy

Well, to me it seems like most of the victims want more attention brought to it, and that's good enough for me. That said, what's the right thing to do when we're talking about stuff like this is always difficult to say before you make a choice.

Oh don't get me wrong, I fully support reporting when they're actually hurting people, but I don't think that now is the right time to go too in-depth because they're now at their most irrelevant moment.

Alex and Patrick get enough shit from parts of the GB community already, Jeff is the "face" of the company and is kind of a key figure in the games press.

And say what? "These bad things these bad people are doing are bad".

I mean, anyone that regularly visits Giantbomb or any website about videogames already knows about this problem and knows where they stand on the argument.

Myggen

In almost all cases, Patrick writes the news stories and editorials on the site (the Letter From the Editor is an excepion), so what he has now written speaks for the whole staff. I think Wu recognized this when she said that she wouldn't have called out GB if she had known that Patrick was gonna write that story. I personally don't see how Jeff writing something similar will do much of anything. HOWEVER it could still be mentioned on the podcast, and I'd be all for it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
In almost all cases, Patrick writes the news stories and editorials on the site (the Letter From the Editor is an excepion), so what he has now written speaks for the whole staff. I personally don't see how Jeff writing something similar will do much of anything. HOWEVER it could still be mentioned on the podcast, and I'd be all for it.
Well, it's because Jeff is essentially EiC of the site more than anything else.

There are times when EiCs, even if they don't bother with the day to day article grind, will post something in order to represent the site as a whole. Jeff did this during the hiring process, for example.

GamersGate stuff is exhausting and messy. I thought games was a big enough medium where I wouldn't have to hear about it.

No one is happy, everyone is miserable when people talk about this stuff. Why bring it up on an entertainment website?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
GamersGate stuff is exhausting and messy. I thought games was a big enough medium where I wouldn't have to hear about it.

No one is happy, everyone is miserable when people talk about this stuff. Why bring it up on an entertainment website?

a conceit I've seen thrown around that I haven't really given much thought, but seems emotionally true (to me at least):

you're responsible for the culture that forms around your work if you fail to curate one yourself

Myggen

Well, it's because Jeff is essentially EiC of the site more than anything else.

There are times when EiCs, even if they don't bother with the day to day article grind, will post something in order to represent the site as a whole. Jeff did this during the hiring process, for example.

Yeah, I totally understand that. But as far as I know, Jeff's Letter From the Editor is the only of its kind on GB (an editorial by Jeff addressing a particular issue, and not just something related to the site) and was written because people were harassing other in the name of Giant Bomb. I see your point though, but personally think an article by Patrick who of course speaks for the entire editorial team is good enough. But again, totally understand that some people may disagree.

Antiwhippy

a conceit I've seen thrown around that I haven't really given much thought, but seems emotionally true (to me at least):

you're responsible for the culture that forms around your work if you fail to curate one yourself

Should giantbomb be responsible for the culture of giantbomb itself or gaming culture as a whole though?

The people in the GB community are mostly civil.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, I totally understand that. But as far as I know, Jeff's Letter From the Editor is the only of its kind on GB (an editorial by Jeff addressing a particular issue, and not just something related to the site) and was written because people were harassing other in the name of Giant Bomb. I see your point though, but personally think an article by Patrick who of course speaks for the entire editorial team is good enough. But again, totally understand that some people may disagree.

Well, to be fair, Patrick is basically the entire editorial team. lol

It just seems strange to people that the "baby podcast" will address this stuff while the "main podcast" will spend 50 minutes talking about Dan's indie wrestling promotion adventures.

Should giantbomb be responsible for the culture of giantbomb itself or gaming culture as a whole though?

The people in the GB community are mostly civil.

I'd say the most active circles are, but after the comments section on the Kalman Bombcast episode I just don't know any more.

So hard to tell who's part of the community and who's just popping in to be a dick from elsewhere.

Patryn

It just seems strange to people that the "baby podcast" will address this stuff while the "main podcast" will spend 50 minutes talking about Dan's indie wrestling promotion adventures.

The main purpose of Giant Bomb is to do dumb stuff.

Indie woman developer are sleeping around for good reviews.

Didn't happen but people ran with it anyway.

Wait really? So why is it called gamer gate then?

Edit:
Originally started as a games journalism ethics argument (some game dev girl slept with some guy who writes for Kotaku. He wrote articles about said girl's game, etc). Articles written by the press claiming "gamers" over, due to some gamers' reactions to said story. Dumbasses co-opted it and use it to harass people who agree with said article, etc.
OK that makes more sense. Thanks. I wonder why this wasn't made more clear in the OP of the other thread here on GAF.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I still don't know what's even going on with the whole GG thing.

Same here. I've tried reading the main thread on it a million times and still have no clue what they're talking about.

Originally started as a games journalism ethics argument (some game dev girl slept with some guy who writes for Kotaku. He wrote articles about said girl's game, etc). Articles written by the press claiming "gamers" over, due to some gamers' reactions to said story. Dumbasses co-opted it and use it to harass people who agree with said article, etc.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The main purpose of Giant Bomb is to do dumb stuff.
I think it's weird that there seems to be a wall between the SF office and Patrick.

I'm sure there isn't, and I'm sure Patrick is talking to Jeff about the articles that he posts, but the silence from the SF office is a bit deafening.

Patryn

It may just be a coincidence, but the optics of GB acknowledging GG right after they got called out aren't too great.

Patrick's been acknowledging it for weeks now. The only difference is that it's now in article form.

Yeah, someone doing a driveby can say it looks bad, but they'd have to explain Alex and Patrick talking about it prior to her appearance of MSNBC.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

Oh. Well as always I follow the words of one Jeff Gerstmann.

follow the money

Sakwoff

RIP Rorie's sleep schedule.

:(

Really glad they finally took an official stand on this mess, I love GB and their silence outside of Twitter honestly irked me a little.

Myggen

It may just be a coincidence, but the optics of GB acknowledging GG right after they got called out aren't too great.

Patrick said on Twitter that he had written that article before talking about it on the podcast this morning, and before they got called out. Brianna Wu believed him. No way to prove it, but seeing as they talked about it at length on the podcast I believe that it's not a knee-jerk reaction to being called out (it's not like that's the first time GB has been called out on this anyway).

Patrick is the entire news team, not the entire editorial team ;)

Patrick's been acknowledging it for weeks now. The only difference is that it's now in article form.

Yeah, someone doing a driveby can say it looks bad, but they'd have to explain Alex and Patrick talking about it prior to her appearance of MSNBC.

Perhaps getting called out was the kick in the butt needed for Patrick to post something on the site. People who watch the morning show are a tiny subset of the audience.

Sakwoff

No.

It started as a harassment movement. It was never co-opted. Nathan never wrote about DQ apart from including it in a list of greenlighted games. It's completely baffling to me that people still purport this.

GG harassment also started before any of the "gamers" articles.

But this is the wrong place for this. NeoGAF has an excellent thread on Gamergate, where you can get all the facts. Please, do so, if you're interested.

Keep it posi. Minus Alex playing the character of DebbieDowner, its a positive and fun site.
I come to GB to be entertained, I play games to be entertained. Feels to me that GB is curating entertaining podcasts and videos.

Antiwhippy

I mean, even if he did post it due to being a called out (not that I think he did), isn't it considered positive move?

Condemning knee-jerk reactions that nevertheless produces positive results are one of the few things I would never understand. It just shows that your message has been seen and approved to a certain extent.

Top Bottom