• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
3/5 seems right. Will Patrick be the one reviewing Dragon Age when it comes out? He seems like the biggest RPG lover beyond Rorie.
It probably just wont' get reviewed. Patrick generally dislikes Fantasy with few exceptions, and I don't think he's ever shown any interest in Dragon Age. Dragon Age 2 never got reviewed since Dave did the first one.
If Jeff is actually reviewing Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel I bet he'll give it 3 stars.

'As good as Destiny. I guess.'

RE_Player

Yeah no way anyone on staff reviews Dragon Age good or bad. Same with Bayonetta 2. There are just some games they don't see the point of covering more than the quick look and bombcast discussion which is totally understandable.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah no way anyone on staff reviews Dragon Age good or bad. Same with Bayonetta 2. There are just some games they don't see the point of covering more than the quick look and bombcast discussion which is totally understandable.
Dan is writing a Bayonetta 2 review.

Myggen

Dan is actually reviewing Bayo 2 and is probably giving it 5* (he really seems to love it going by his Twitter). Delayed the review because he wanted to see how the online stuff works.

There is truly no escape from past internet comments. I almost don't want Dan to get into anime, cause what if he doesn't like the anime I like? Thinking Mario Sunshine is better than 64 is one thing, but what if he thinks Cowboy Bebop is lame? Just couldn't handle it.

Don't worry; Cowboy Bebop is clearly a cool anime for cool people.

popo

"GB are ignoring this issue!"

GB posts article highlighting issue.

"GB has knee jerk reaction to being called out!"

*Patrick blows his brains out*

Can't see why they wanted to stay out of this mess, not one bit.

I don't think Gamergate is inherently a bad thing. There are some in that movement (I cannot think of a better word) that are asking legitimate questions they feel should be answered. However, as with any protest group, there are people that latch onto it and spread anarchy in that groups name. In this case, there is quite a lot of anarchy spreading, so much so that any of what's left of the original message seems to be in tatters.

Then on the other side, there is Anita Sarkeesian. Even though she is a lightening rod for all the anarchy spreading, she also seems pretty level headed. Which is amazing if you look at what is coming her way. She seems the be the kind of person that will tell people what is wrong, and back up her opinion.. Even though some people may not like her direct, sometimes blunt tone, it is worth listening to, and considering her opinion,.A important thing to note is she says stuff that angers some people, but does not set out with the intention of angering them.

Sadly, even on this side of the argument, there are some jumping onto social media and other outlets to express their opinion as rants. They do not target individuals, but round up communities and subcultures with there aggressive approach. This is likely done after getting barraged from the more anarchistic people from the other side, but it does not help get their opinion across well.

Anyways, my opinion of everyone involved in this mess has always been the mental image of crowds of people shouting at each other from both ends of a long hallway. There is so much shouting going on nothing of worth can be heard. There is some in there causing chaos for the sake of it, and others responding to that chaos because they've had enough. When it may look like there are initially two sides to the augment, it turns out almost everyone there has a separate stance they need heard. So most of them just shout. Ultimately, only a few people have bothered to gather in the middle of the hallway and actually talk with each other.

I cannot help but think that this flare up will not cease until more people gather in the center, but due to anonymity some people revel in, and others urge to lash out, it is an near impossible task

RE_Player

Dan is actually reviewing Bayo 2 and is probably giving it 5* (he really seems to love it going by his Twitter). Delayed the review because he wanted to see how the online stuff works.
Consider me surprised. I guess I still have to learn what games Dan is willing to take for review. The other members of the crew wouldn't have taken it.

jgminto

I don't think Gamergate is inherently a bad thing. There are some in that movement (I cannot think of a better word) that are asking legitimate questions they feel should be answered. However, as with any protest group, there are people that latch onto it and spread anarchy in that groups name. In this case, there is quite a lot of anarchy spreading, so much so that any of what's left of the original message seems to be in tatters.

Then on the other side, there is Anita Sarkeesian. Even though she is a lightening rod for all the anarchy spreading, she also seems pretty level headed. Which is amazing if you look at what is coming her way. She seems the be the kind of person that will tell people what is wrong, and back up her opinion.. Even though some people may not like her direct, sometimes blunt tone, it is worth listening to, and considering her opinion,.A important thing to note is she says stuff that angers some people, but does not set out with the intention of angering them.

Sadly, even on this side of the argument, there are some jumping onto social media and other outlets to express their opinion as rants. They do not target individuals, but round up communities and subcultures with there aggressive approach. This is likely done after getting barraged from the more anarchistic people from the other side, but it does not help get their opinion across well.

Anyways, my opinion of everyone involved in this mess has always been the mental image of crowds of people shouting at each other from both ends of a long hallway. There is so much shouting going on nothing of worth can be heard. There is some in there causing chaos for the sake of it, and others responding to that chaos because they've had enough. When it may look like there are initially two sides to the augment, it turns out almost everyone there has a separate stance they need heard. So most of them just shout. Ultimately, only a few people have bothered to gather in the middle of the hallway and actually talk with each other.

I cannot help but think that this flare up will not cease until more people gather in the center, but due to anonymity some people revel in, and others urge to lash out, it is an near impossible task

Except that's how the whole thing freaking started. It didn't originate as some well meaning campaign and it's not difficult to find that out.

RE_Player

You know Bayonetta was on Ryan, Jeff, and Vinny's GOTY list, right?
Jeff was obsessed with Borderlands but that didn't stop him from barely touching Borderlands 2 after release. Considering their lukewarm comments during E3 they didn't seem that interested in the game.

GOTY spots mean nothing in terms of franchise interest for the future with them. Xcom was their 2012 GOTY and absolutely no one on staff checked out the expansion in their own time.

Consider me surprised. I guess I still have to learn what games Dan is willing to take for review. The other members of the crew wouldn't have taken it.

I LOVE Dans taste in games. I think it's pretty hilarious that he is the most open minded out of the group when it comes to games.

popo

Most phone insurance plans have a $100 deductible and in some cases they won't replace phones with water damage.

Well $100 is better than $800 I would say, also Patrick said he lost it and is assuming someone swiped it after. Not sure how water damage applies.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Writing it all off as "white-noise" is tempting, as a white-dude living in Australia --- I guess --- but it's interesting: the louder and less coherent the discussion becomes, the more insulated and alone the victims of internet abuse tend to feel. As people who stand-up against this sort of lunacy are fatigued and tap out of the conversation ("everything is fine" Ryckert), the abuse doesn't stop.

I don't know. Dismissing the whole conversation because you're sick of reading about it feels... morally repugnant. I get why it's the default mode. It's certainly mine. We can probably do a bit better, though. If I were in the shoes of the people being harassed, I'd hope others would do the same.

Jeff-DSA

I was a religious listener of the Bombcast from day 1 until just after Ryan died. I don't care to share it now, but I had some experiences with Ryan that made it too hard to listen to after he passed.

I finally jumped back into listening this past week, and man, it felt good. I still get sad, but I really enjoyed the show and look forward to listening to the next episode. It's crazy how much has changed at the site and on the podcast over the past year and a half. It's barely the same product, but as far as I can tell, it's still good.

I was a religious listener of the Bombcast from day 1 until just after Ryan died. I don't care to share it now, but I had some experiences with Ryan that made it too hard to listen to after he passed.

I finally jumped back into listening this past week, and man, it felt good. I still get sad, but I really enjoyed the show and look forward to listening to the next episode. It's crazy how much has changed at the site and on the podcast over the past year and a half. It's barely the same product, but as far as I can tell, it's still good.

Aw man :[

/hug

The good thing is that you missed out on a lot of great content and now you can just soak it all in.

Gamergate may pass, but the root problems will just keep coming up until people come out and actually do decide to make a public showing of their support for diversity and condemnation of harassment.

It can't be a "Well, we have someone saying it, that's enough" situation. It will just keep cropping up as long as these people take silence for approval.

Myggen

Good to hear that it's better now. You will at least have quite the backlog :) Also:

NimbleDependableHippopotamus.gif

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Jeff was obsessed with Borderlands but that didn't stop him from barely touching Borderlands 2 after release. Considering their lukewarm comments during E3 they didn't seem that interested in the game.

GOTY spots mean nothing in terms of franchise interest for the future with them. Xcom was their 2012 GOTY and absolutely no one on staff checked out the expansion in their own time.

Other than Mortal Kombat 9, I've never seen them anything but lukewarm on sequels to games they've played favorably on the past. They don't seem interested until they have it in their hands. Which makes sense for something like Bayonetta 2 that's so heavily based on gameplay. They have also stated numerous times that they rarely go back and play DLC because of how their job works. The few times I can think of it was Jeff doing the Borderlands DLC for QLing (which he seemed to hate) and Vinny and Ryan doing the Fallout DLC.

I'm really surprised they haven't had any Project CARS coverage. Maybe they will when it comes out on consoles, so Vinny can buy a racing wheel.

Except that's how the whole thing freaking started. It didn't originate as some well meaning campaign and it's not difficult to find that out.

I believe some of the original intent was to question the integrity of some individuals and outlets. There is nothing wrong with that, as there is no industry in the world without a few bad eggs. Sadly, that intent quickly vanished due some people resorting to attacking and targeting individuals instead of just asking questionsand wanting to get answers.

BearPawB

Banned
I believe some of the original intent was to question the integrity of some individuals and outlets. There is nothing wrong with that, as there is no industry in the world without a few bad eggs. Sadly, that intent quickly vanished due some people resorting to attacking and targeting individuals instead of just asking questionsand wanting to get answers.

It started as a witch hunt. And it still is

erawsd

He still reviewed Borderlands 2 though. DLC has always been up in the air. Even if no one had picked it up Bayonetta 2 initially, Im sure someone would after seeing how their peers have reacted.

How many Nintendo games do you guys think Dan can smuggle into the goty list? I think he can get one of the Super Smash games on there, Bayonetta 2, and, depending on how he likes Tropical Freeze, I could see him arguing for that.

How many Nintendo games do you guys think Dan can smuggle into the goty list? I think he can get one of the Super Smash games on there, Bayonetta 2, and, depending on how he likes Tropical Freeze, I could see him arguing for that.

I think him and Alex will get MK8 on there

Everything else is a lost cause.

Tan

I see MK8 and --if Jayson's part of it-- mayyybe Bayonetta 2?

Its pointless to wade in on GG.

Too many unreasonable angry assholes who will be angry at you no matter what you say. Patrick is already making a fool of himself on twitter over it on a weekly basis. He got that base covered.

At this point I just feel sorry for the people who wanted to point out the problems with the games press. The MRA/internet feminist war kind of put that in the back seat and shat all over it.

tchocky

Well Alex loved Mario Kart but no one else really got into it or outright dismissed it. Jeff has said he is looking forward to playing Captain Toad. Bayonetta 2 will probably have the best chance with both Jeff and Brad potentially liking it, Patrick has just mentioned getting female perspectives on the character which could change his perspective since most women critics are positive towards her. He will have to argue real well to get Smash on their because he will have no support from anyone.

Top Bottom