• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Needs a "Dan calls somebody a dork" square.

also you don't need the apostrophe in "Simpsons"

that was originally there...

done

6507.danryckertbingo.96kni.jpg

I've been playing the Evil Within for 5 hours and the aspect ratio isn't even something I think about when actually playing. Presents a lot more space on the sides which is interesting in the way it frames your viewpoint compared to other games.

erawsd

I've been playing the Evil Within for 5 hours and the aspect ratio isn't even something I think about when actually playing. Presents a lot more space on the sides which is interesting in the way it frames your viewpoint compared to other games.

Does it? From the look of it in the QL the game doesnt have a wide fov at all. It seems like a standard zoomed in TPS camera with the top/bottom lopped off.

That is some serious letterboxing.

Yeah... as interesting as a new Mikami game could be, this aspect ratio is killing any desre I have of playing it. I mean, it's even impacting the gameplay (on the ladder). Plus the camera and movement are all kinds of jank.

Whaddaya buyin?

Does it? From the look of it in the QL the game doesnt have a wide fov at all. It seems like a standard zoomed in TPS camera with the top/bottom lopped off.
Look at how much space is on the side when he's crouching for example.

I mean it's just not even a bother. When you're playing it's just something that you forget about. If you are on the PC like I am you can adjust it but that looks pretty bad.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I do like the voice acting in the game. What's in the quick look at least.

And I'm glad we're getting games like this and Alien in October instead of only indie games doing horror. Just give me a Dead Space reboot with a new team next.

daydream

Banned
I mean it's not like there was much competition this year, but even still I think you're stretching a bit lol

Because you actually thought about it or just because "wiiu lulz"?

Anyway, the people who get it will get it. Back to regularly scheduled GB content.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
As I watch the key part, 'This is like the What Would you Do wall
Dan:
'This is like What Would You Do'

Dan is alright.

Someone should take those Evil Within-ized avatars and stick letterboxes on them.

Flandy

Because you actually thought about it or just because "wiiu lulz"?

Anyway, the people who get it will get it. Back to regularly scheduled GB content.

The only things that anyone actually gives a damn about to release this year on the Wii U have been Donkey Kong, Mario Kart 8, and Hyrule Warriors. 3 games worth playing isn't exactly "dominated 2014's console space"

RE_Player

The only things that anyone actually gives a damn about to release this year on the Wii U have been Donkey Kong, Mario Kart 8, and Hyrule Warriors. 3 games worth playing isn't exactly "dominated 2014's console space"
Too certain people the only things that matter are console exclusives. It doesn't matter that the PS4 or Xbox One had third party support for the entire year only exclusives matter in the console war!

Again I love my Wii U but no way in hell could I just own a Wii U and feel satisfied.

Soma

haha that was a great ending to the Evil Within quicklook

game didn't seem too hot in the beginning of the QL but might've sold me by the end of it.

xanavi

My vertigo is not appreciating the FOV and camera bob in this Evil Within quicklook. Third person games don't normally make me nauseated but this one is working a treat.

erawsd

Look at how much space is on the side when he's crouching for example.

I mean it's just not even a bother. When you're playing it's just something that you forget about. If you are on the PC like I am you can adjust it but that looks pretty bad.

I dont know, I'm not seeing it in this QL. Maybe it'll become apparent when I play the game.

And yeah, you get use to it but just like all the games that use film grain, chromatic aberration, and some of the other movie effects; I just don't see much advantage to them. I get that its an attempt to make it "cinematic" but thats is lost on me when you've also got a persistent hud and glowing icons all over.

Myggen

My vertigo is not appreciating the FOV and camera bob in this Evil Within quicklook. Third person games don't normally make me nauseated but this one is working a treat.

Yeah, some people in the comments have complained about that too. I can totally see that bothering some people, it's a weird choice.

Alfredo

What's with Brad name dropping Liam O'Brien? He did it in the Evil Within QL, and I think he did it in another one before that.

...he should play D4. Plenty of O'Brien in that. :)

You best stop your accusations of joke posts.

I'll have you know that the Wii U was the best new console of the year in 2012.

Does the Vita count as a console? I like my Wii U, but I find myself playing my Vita a whole lot more. I won't say it's *definitively* better though, as it really depends on what kind of games you like more. But if you like JRPGs, the Vita has been the place to be the last little while.

Me too! Well except an Xbox One for now.

My exact situation. I actually want a Kinect when I get a One so it will be differentiated a bit and I can play around with the functionality.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I wonder if Vinny has stuck with his 'all digital' on consoles vow. Pre-loading is nice, and my internet says it doesn't throttle me, but I still see stuff like Far Cry 4, AC:U, and GTA V all on the same day, and I'm like 'boy I can hear my monitor screaming from here.'

Indignate

What's with Brad name dropping Liam O'Brien? He did it in the Evil Within QL, and I think he did it in another one before that.

...he should play D4. Plenty of O'Brien in that. :)

I think it's just one of the only voice actors that he knows besides Nolan North and Troy Baker.

Jintor

I'm glad Dan's such an entertaining person on camera because that was probably among the most cookie-cutter reviews I've ever read.

I hope Air Force Gator is a substantial improvement over his review work. *puts on monocle and strolls away*

I'm glad Dan's such an entertaining person on camera because that was probably among the most cookie-cutter reviews I've ever read.

I hope Air Force Gator is a substantial improvement over his review work. *puts on monocle and strolls away*

I feel the same way, though almost all "professional" game reviews suffer from being like that. "This, but that. This, but that. This, but that. Conclusion." as Robert Ashley once famously said on GFW Radio.

Actually, I don't even know why Giant Bomb bother with reviews anyway. I can't imagine they get read much, and quick looks are a more interesting method of conveying how they feel about a game. The only thing reviews do is incite bickering when someone doesn't agree with their score.

Evil Within would have been a perfect Ryan/Vinny video.

To be fair, almost every game is.

:(

so1337

1. Always be crouching (always!)
Always.

"Haven't you been reading my Big Book of Stealth?"
"No no, is that done? Is that published now?"
"It's out."
"Oh my god."
"It's out, man. I thought that you had done your homework."
"I'll pick it up on the way home from work."

That's some quality banter from Dan and Brad. Love it.

Actually, I don't even know why Giant Bomb bother with reviews anyway. I can't imagine they get read much, and quick looks are a more interesting method of conveying how they feel about a game. The only thing reviews do is incite bickering when someone doesn't agree with their score.

They get linked to on Metacritic/Gamerankings, so it might bring in new people. For example right now they're the first review on Metacritic's Bayonetta 2 recap page.

Top Bottom