• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

popo

, I don't even know why Giant Bomb bother with reviews anyway. I can't imagine they get read much, and quick looks are a more interesting method of conveying how they feel about a game. The only thing reviews do is incite bickering when someone doesn't agree with their score.

Jeff has hinted that publishers would show them much less attention if they didn't do any reviews. Back of the queue for early review copies etc. Big reviews like COD likely get decent traffic too.

Myggen

Jeff has hinted that publishers would show them much less attention if they didn't do any reviews. Back of the queue for early review copies etc. Big reviews like COD likely get decent traffic too.

Yeah, I remember him saying that they do reviews to stay on Metacritic and get early copies of games. Some of them obviously still like writing reviews, but that seems to be a big part of it.

Yeah, I remember him saying that they do reviews to stay on Metacritic and get early copies of games. Some of them obviously still like writing reviews, but that seems to be a big part of it.

And it's probably not too much extra work to put out some text when they are already playing these games. It's not like they are hurrying to get reviews out right after embargos break.

Myggen

And it's probably not too much extra work to put out some text when they are already playing these games. It's not like they are hurrying to get reviews out right after embargos break.

Yeah, exactly. They only get reviews out right after embargos break for the biggest AAA games they review. I'm still waiting for that Wolf Among Us review ;)

Aaron

I feel the same way, though almost all "professional" game reviews suffer from being like that. "This, but that. This, but that. This, but that. Conclusion." as Robert Ashley once famously said on GFW Radio.

Actually, I don't even know why Giant Bomb bother with reviews anyway. I can't imagine they get read much, and quick looks are a more interesting method of conveying how they feel about a game. The only thing reviews do is incite bickering when someone doesn't agree with their score.
Jeff said once most of their page hits came from reviews. They're still getting read much.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I forgot how funny the PS4 launch extravaganza was. Infamous Madden gif included, but some of the stuff in the Black Flag portion is some of the funniest content on the site. Like Vinny and Jeff trying to pitch the Ubisoft NPC dude on game ideas.

Xater

Letterboxing video games is still one of the dumbest things you can do. That Evil Within QL is still not convincing me of the game. Technical issues in PS4 don't help either. I mean seriously they use idTech5 at 30 fps without running at full resolution and still can't manage a stable frame rate? Kinda pathetic.

"what does anything mean if nothing was real" - brad shoemaker 2014

Honestly, I really hope the twist in that game isn't as obvious as it seems. It's even called The Evil Within, for chrissake! If it all being in his head isn't a red herring, that's some mighty poor plot they've got there.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
In light of stealth brad discussion, I'd recommend anyone who was put off alien isolation by the quicklook to consider giving it a try. When the alien is looking for you and you're hidden, you don't just have to stay sitting under a gurney or inside a locker for minutes on end waiting for it to disappear - you can break line of sight and crawl away the first time it turns away or gets far enough away from you, or you can use any of the several items you'll have crafted to distract it. It's certainly not easy to evade every time, but I rarely felt I was killed unfairly or forced to wait around indefinitely for the alien to leave.

Letterboxing video games is still one of the dumbest things you can do. That Evil Within QL is still not convincing me of the game. Technical issues in PS4 don't help either. I mean seriously they use idTech5 at 30 fps without running at full resolution and still can't manage a stable frame rate? Kinda pathetic.
Get the PC version, I am running at 3200x1800 without ever dropping below 30. I do have a 780Ti, but any mid-range card will be able to hold 30 at 1080P

PC is not an option.
Get used to having that performance level become more and more common then :p

If nothing else as more and more games run incredibly well on the PC as the console versions sputter about the nonsense about magical console optimization will come to an end.

Lol at Brad missing the ladder and running around like a headless chicken.

I don't understand why he didn't think you couldn't crawl under the wire though. I mean.....of course you can.

the way you guys are moaning, I thought you meant it was pillarboxed. I have no problem with this aspect ratio.

buy a bigger tv lol

joking

Is Tim the one who does all those clutch boss fights?

I think he drove the whole thing? haven't seen it since it was new though.

Haunted

Watching some of this Vault of Glass action on Brad's twitch archive, who really thinks that endlessly respawning enemies, literally wave after wave after wave while you hold/defend a space is great encounter design for a modern first person shooter in 2014?

c'mon

Myggen

Watching some of this Vault of Glass action on Brad's twitch archive, who really thinks that endlessly respawning enemies, literally wave after wave after wave while you hold/defend a space is great encounter design for a modern first person shooter in 2014?

c'mon

Well, it's pretty much a pretty standard MMO design, isn't it?

Is Tim the one who does all those clutch boss fights?

Yeah, he was usually the guy who played all those games during Super Replays. Illbleed especially seems like it plays like absolute shit, with the tankiest tank controls and just awful combat in general. Need to call those ladders all the time!

Tim was also on the couch for that one UPF episode. Good man that Tim Turi.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Evil within's letterboxing seems so fucking weird and dumb nowadays, it also really turns me off from the game. Also i had some weird issue in the GB website, i had premium for several days after my subcription ran out, i had to log out to become a free member. It's not the first time this happened either, this time just lasted longer.

Evil within's letterboxing seems so fucking weird and dumb nowadays, it also really turns me off from the game. Also i had some weird issue in the GB website, i had premium for several days after my subcription ran out, i had to log out to become a free member. It's not the first time this happened either, this time just lasted longer.[/QUOTE]

This is normal. They give you a set date of premium access even if your sub runs out.

Owensboro

c'mon

It's not great, but it's miles better than "shoot the bullet sponge boss until it dies". At least there are other mechanics in play (don't let enemies reach a certain spot, deal with debuffs, split into two teams with different objectives, avoid crap on the ground, debuff a boss so you can attack it, etc).

Jamie OD

I remember there was a good conversation on the Bombcast once about how at some point throughout their careers they considered removing review scores altogther but there would always be a huge backlash from readers whenever they tried it. Wish I could remember what episode it was from.

Haunted

Well, it's pretty much a pretty standard MMO design, isn't it?
But it's... still bad?

It's not great, but it's miles better than "shoot the bullet sponge boss until it dies".
Watching the first boss encounter in the vault
"The Templar"
, and my god he is a fucking bullet sponge.

I haven't watched much Destiny footage after release and was looking forward to playing through its content at least once eventually, but honestly, if what I'm seeing on that stream is the best Destiny has to offer (by all accounts) it's turning me right off.

Renpatsu

I feel like if they were going to go letterbox they should have zoomed out while running around and only zoomed in when aiming with your weapon.

Owensboro

But it's... still bad?

Watching the first boss encounter in the vault
"The Templar"
, and my god he is a fucking bullet sponge.

I haven't watched much Destiny footage after release and was looking forward to playing through its content at least once eventually, but honestly, if what I'm seeing on that stream is the best Destiny has to offer (by all accounts) is turning me right off.

Right, but what your missing is
the one team member that picks up a shield that gives him the ability to de-shield the boss, the adds that spawn called "Oracles" that must be dealt with immediately or cause a raid wipe, and the imprisoning shield placed on one raid member that needs to be DPSed down
. And yes, the boss is a still a bullet sponge, but at least it not just "shoot the bullet sponge". I understand if MMO style bosses aren't your thing, but it's not bad by any means, just another way of achieving something. However, if it really isn't your thing, you're probably better off not playing it. (Or waiting for the eventual price drop!)

Xater

Then have fun with poor performance!

it's not going to get better as the generation continues either

No shit Sherlock! You are telling me stagnant hardware won't get better as developers try to do more and more things that aren#t possible on this hardware?

This game though is just poorly optimized. id Tech 5 is designed to run at 60 on everything and these fools can#t even manage constant 30.

I feel like if they were going to go letterbox they should have zoomed out while running around and only zoomed in when aiming with your weapon.
The camera zooms out depending on the area, more wide open areas pull back a bit.
This game though is just poorly optimized. id Tech 5 is designed to run at 60 on everything and these fools can#t even manage constant 30.
The Evil Within actually has lighting and props with physics so they obviously have done a lot of work on idtech 5.

Zaph

Right, but what your missing is
the one team member that picks up a shield that gives him the ability to de-shield the boss, the adds that spawn called "Oracles" that must be dealt with immediately or cause a raid wipe, and the imprisoning shield placed on one raid member that needs to be DPSed down
. And yes, the boss is a still a bullet sponge, but at least it not just "shoot the bullet sponge". I understand if MMO style bosses aren't your thing, but it's not bad by any means, just another way of achieving something. However, if it really isn't your thing, you're probably better off not playing it. (Or waiting for the eventual price drop!)

Yeah, going through parts of the VoG archive and honestly, the raid design really isn't as terrible as some people make it out to be.

After playing a lot of MMO's, it really does seem that building interesting co-op encounters without the holy trinity class archetypes seems very difficult. Add in the fact that Destiny is first-person (mostly), players don't have much utility (CC, support buffs, etc), and I think they've done a pretty respectable job. Wish more non-MMO's would experiment with similar co-operative multiplayer.

That style of gameplay just isn't for everyone. Even WoW raids, which had the best encounter design in the industry, were only played by a fraction of the userbase.

Top Bottom