• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
RE2 controls hold up just fine imo, it's a slow-paced game. MGS controls don't hold up for newcomers, but as someone who's played it loads, I can still easily go back to it.

justjim89

How can you possibly think it's the games fault when the game is widely regarded as a classic. It's not like all other games were terrible back then or something. Drew is just bad.

Poorly balanced melee boss fights in a game not designed for melee combat = the game's fault

A tedious vehicle section to cap off the whole affair with bullet sponge enemies and an unkillable boss = the game's fault

hamchan

This is definitely one of those great games where being there helps it. There was nothing at all like MGS when it came out. It was a moment in gaming.

Yep. I think you had to be there. In 1998 every single thing about this game was mindblowing because it was all new. Interesting study of perspectives here. I think more modern eyes that never played this game at the time wouldn't understand the epicness of the final sequences, since epic set pieces are a dime a dozen in nearly every AAA game now.

valeo

Sorry, but a game where you don't use first person once in combat gets you to use it in the final section...That is batshit poor design. I thought that when I first played it when I was freaking 8 too.

Poorly balanced melee boss fights in a game not designed for melee combat = the game's fault

A tedious vehicle section to cap off the whole affair with bullet sponge enemies and an unkillable boss = the game's fault

In all fairness, Drew is dying more than anyone ever has at this game. Clearly, some fault lies with him.

LeBart

Sorry, but a game where you don't use first person once in combat gets you to use it in the final section...That is batshit poor design. I thought that when I first played it when I was freaking 8 too.

I never used first person in that section. I didn't even know it was an option.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I feel like drew is swinging too wildly with the turret

You use first person in combat to fire other heavy weapons like the stinger and the sniper rifle. It's perfectly consistent.

Bruh, melee boss fight is the most balanced thing in the game lol. The vehicle part was never good, but also Drew is bad.

How is Drew hitting the X button so many times ? I mean, Christ, does he keep his thumb over it ? That's not even the default button...

You use first person in combat to fire other heavy weapons like the stinger and the sniper rifle. It's perfectly consistent.

No it's not. This is the first and only time when the player can shoot while manually entering first-person mode with the triangle button. If you try with any other weapon, it does not work. You can't fault someone for not knowing or even trying this at the last section when the game conditionned him to not do that.

valeo

Guess so. Still, I think that Drew has made this way harder than it should be but to say that MGS1's combat is great is just silly. (hence the improvements in later iterations)

If you've played MGS a bunch of times over and over, then of course the combat is easy.

hamchan

I wouldn't use Drew's playthrough of the game to judge its "game design" too. He makes it look 10x worse than it is. And Drew brings up a good point, this is all to show the reaction of someone who never played this game in 2014. I think Drew's reaction might actually be the common reaction of an average 2014 gamer, who is now very used to a modern controls.

Resident evil 2 is a classic. Plays like shit now.

Tomb raider 2 is a classic. Plays like shit now.

Metal gear solid is a classic. Plays like shit now.

Nope. They all play perfectly fine (Tomb Raider can be a little rough at times), but they require you to let go of your 2010+ gaming mindset, which is something Drew has a real hard time with.

Top Bottom