• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.
kbvJ15Al.png

Jasons actually winning

what is this

There's a weird thing about SF where if you just press buttons and do dumb shit, it can actually get you some wins, then when you actually start learning how to play the game for real you're gonna lose a ton before you get good and Jeff mentioned he's kind of in that mindset.

Yep...I really really want to play this game, but have never played a fighting game and it scares me.

I will say that I'm having an easier time with it than I was expecting and even messing around in training has been enjoyable. It will probably be a while before I jump into matches with randoms but it feels like a good pick for my first fighting game to actually learn.

Training is all it takes.

Yeah I've been messing around in there a decent amount, I also made the mistake of testing the netcode yesterday and that was a horrible nightmare.

Myggen

There's a weird thing about SF where if you just press buttons and do dumb shit, it can actually get you some wins, then when you actually start learning how to play the game for real you're gonna lose a ton before you get good and Jeff mentioned he's kind of in that mindset.

I've always liked Jeff's description of never really getting past the point in these games where you're good enough to have a good grasp on the mechanics, but not good enough to stop overthinking things.

Yeah

it makes sense that jeff does good with rashid, a character that does better the more you button mash

Yep...I really really want to play this game, but have never played a fighting game and it scares me.

If there's ever a time to jump in, now would be the best time (well maybe wait a bit for the March features and the servers to be good), especially with SFV being much more beginner friendly than any SF before it.

omgkitty

I will say that I'm having an easier time with it than I was expecting and even messing around in training has been enjoyable. It will probably be a while before I jump into matches with randoms but it feels like a good pick for my first fighting game to actually learn.

Yeah I know they're trying to make it easier for new people to get into it, but then leaving out a lot of the modes I could actually use to learn stuff at the beginning is shitty. I'd also like to get a stick but man $230 is a lot of money.

Ken's hair is magical.

I've always liked Jeff's description of never really getting past the point in these games where you're good enough to have a good grasp on the mechanics, but not good enough to stop overthinking things.

That's a good way to put it. Even if you have a good understanding of the fundamentals, it's easy to get lost in a fight and get completely overwhelmed.

Yeah

it makes sense that jeff does good with rashid, a character that does better the more you button mash

Rashid had some real good buttons, but to get good damage from him you have to hit some pretty tough links (by this game's standards)

If I went and picked this up at Best Buy today, is the code for the extra outfit in the box or have I missed it already?

They'd have to send you an email so i don't think so? The costumes will probably be there for purchase (most likely with real money) when the shop opens in March.

omgkitty

They'd have to send you an email so i don't think so? The costumes will probably be there for purchase (most likely with real money) when the shop opens in March.

Ahhh okay...really like that Cammy outfit. I guess that's better that I wouldn't have to drive to Best Buy but I'm not sure I'd rather go to Gamestop either as they'd probably laugh if I asked if they had any sticks.

popo

It seems clear GS has found value in the The Lobby by serving it up piecemeal to their general audience. Probably no real point comparing it to GB's live/longform metrics.

Maybe their stuff just doesn't do well live? It is earlier in the day, and Gamespot probably draws a different crowd.... idk. It's pretty depressing. I seriously think if Danny just did The Point and the stuff he does now at GS but on Giant Bomb he'd get a bigger audience. I'd be more likely to watch, for one thing.

This is true, it is not news that GS audience are not in for live streams and I wasn't comparing it to GB numbers but ... you put on a show and nobody turns up. Must be disheartening. Why even do it live in that case.

Ahhh okay...really like that Cammy outfit. I guess that's better that I wouldn't have to drive to Best Buy but I'm not sure I'd rather go to Gamestop either as they'd probably laugh if I asked if they had any sticks.

You probably wouldn't be able to find any lol. There are some cheaper sticks available online, but you might be happy playing on pad and not even know it. Arcade sticks are a pretty hefty investment to be dropping 200 on, so I wouldn't recommend starting off with buying something like a TE2 if you're not even sure you're gonna like it.

Myggen

I like the almost clay animation like characters but a lot of the backgrounds are kind of ugly.

Yeah, I think Jason commented on that in his review: The great look of the characters make the midiocre-looking backgrounds stand out.

Anyways, good to have a Bombcast and a SFV QL for after work tomorrow!

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
What do you figure took longer? Actually drawing these end-game story pictures or removing the "Placeholder art" tag from all of them last week?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom