• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.
So is Jason "good" at fighting games? Obviously he is very knowledgeable about them and is plugged into the community. But is his skill above average?

I'm not knowledgeable about fighting games and don't really watch much of what the GB guys do when it comes to fighting games, so sorry if this is a dumb question.

Frenden

Banned
Yep...I really really want to play this game, but have never played a fighting game and it scares me.

Bought my first stick and am jumping in too. I hope to find some GAFers in the same boat and start playing. Going up against experienced pals might be a little discouraging at first, haha.

mintyice

So is Jason "good" at fighting games? Obviously he is very knowledgeable about them and is plugged into the community. But is his skill above average?

I'm not knowledgeable about fighting games and don't really watch much of what the GB guys do when it comes to fighting games, so sorry if this is a dumb question.

No

GavinGT

Banned

He's not Dan-tier but he's alright.

He seems at the level of being technically better than most casual players, but hasn't broken though a common fighting game ceiling of not being able to shut down button mashers.

Myggen

Bought my first stick and am jumping in too. I hope to find some GAFers in the same boat and start playing. Going up against experienced pals might be a little discouraging at first, haha.

Yeah, finding some other newbies to play with is a good idea. Nothing as discouraging as being savaged in fighting games over and over again by experienced players when you're trying to learn.

Yeah, finding some other newbies to play with is a good idea. Nothing as discouraging as being savaged in fighting games over and over again by experienced players when you're trying to learn.

Yeah I got one match in while the servers work and he Perfect'd me.

Seems like there's a decent number of people who are new to SF and jumping in with SFV, I should probably look into finding some of those people before I try randoms again because that sucked.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

He knows a lot, but the execution isn't quite there to back it up. Which is understandable, because actually getting good at these games is basically a job. Understanding them and being basically competent is one thing, but the reaction time and execution skills required to be good take a long, long time to train. And THEN comes the mind games, which is what separates the good players from the greats like Daigo, who is so good because his execution is near-flawless and he cannot be fazed.

No. Jason knows his stuff, but it takes a lot of effort to actually be good.

TraBuch

Banned
I haven't touched a fighting game since that one that has a character in robes with giant feet and hands and that other guy that threw giant shurikens and there were electric walls or fire walls or maybe spiked walls I forget and I know I'm good.

He knows a lot, but the execution isn't quite there to back it up. Which is understandable, because actually getting good at these games is basically a job. Understanding them and being basically competent is one thing, but the reaction time and execution skills required to be good take a long, long time to train. And THEN comes the mind games, which is what separates the good players from the greats like Daigo, who is so good because his execution is near-flawless and he cannot be fazed.

Okay, thanks for all the replies everybody. Actually gained new insight into what it takes to get to the next level in fighting games.

Bowlie

Banned
Jokes on them, I'm not going to use any of those share buttons so they'll get nothing from me. Except the money I give them every year.

they should have put a "share to Peach" button.

---

now that bar is gone, are we going crazy?

edit: yeah, I'm not seeing it here anymore.

uaCMzOt.png

yami4ct

Hearing Dan say he doesn't want to be 'stuck' with the old FE mission structure hurts my heart. I mean, who would want to be stuck with a game that actually offers variety in mission types and actual tactical challenge?

Awakening isn't as bad as some hardcore fans say, and Fates: Birthright seems better balanced than that one, but if you even remotely know what you're doing the limiting structure of those games is almost suffocating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom