• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hearing Dan say he doesn't want to be 'stuck' with the old FE mission structure hurts my heart. I mean, who would want to be stuck with a game that actually offers variety in mission types and actual tactical challenge?

Awakening isn't as bad as some hardcore fans say, and Fates: Birthright seems better balanced than that one, but if you even remotely know what you're doing the limiting structure of those games is almost suffocating.

People who are bad at srpgs like me. I've been trying to finish Awakening by Friday, and I've been steamrolling the game until I got to chapter 19, in which the game suddenly becomes very difficult. Apparently the best way to beat the mission is to turtle up, and, boy, that sounds boring.

intelligent systems should just make fire emblem into a normal jrpg so i can explore and stuff and not have a million units i don't use

also make a real paper mario

yami4ct

People who are bad at srpgs like me. I've been trying to finish Awakening by Friday, and I've been steamrolling the game until I got to chapter 19, in which the game suddenly becomes very difficult. Apparently the best way to beat the mission is to turtle up, and, boy, that sounds boring.

intelligent systems should just make fire emblem into a normal jrpg so i can explore and stuff and not have a million units i don't use

This is the most horrifying post I've read in a while.

We need more SRPGs, not fewer and more JRPGs.

yami4ct

at least fire emblem doesn't have the meta layer of "you lose forever" like xcom

because starting a 20 hour game over from the beginning is the height of fun

SRPGs are about tension. Being able to lose at a metagame is the height of tension. I'm perfectly fine with both styles as long as they commit.

For XCOM in particular, I love it when it feels like you can actually lose at the metagame. For Enemy Unknown, once I figured out how to play the game I felt there was zero way I could lose the metagame.

Awakening was the first Fire Emblem I spent any significant amount of time with, and I really really liked it. My only real issue was that you spend so much time trying to plan out your children, and then by the time I was actually ready to go recruit them I had the final mission open so why even bother.

justjim89

I really got into Fire Emblem GBA, as well as the GC and Wii ones. Never beat any of them, but I liked the games' style. Not sure I like how they've doubled down on the anime.

yami4ct

I will admit I haven't played the GC/WII/NES/SNES ones, but Fire Emblem 6 and 7 are probably 2 of my favorite games of all time. 8 is very good, and does the Awakening map thing way better, but the world map still makes it a lesser game.

I know Path of Radiance is considered great, but I just don't like SRPGs on console. I have it sitting in my Dolphin library, so I'll get to it someday.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Dude.

Dark mage.

I didn't even bothered with anyone else because I steamrolled everything with my dark mages and just walked everyone else to the end.

I wasn't even trying to min max.

FE: Path of Radiance is a classic. It's got a solid, satisfying progression and a wide cast of characters. Really replayable; the hard difficulty is sublime. A top-to-bottom masterpiece of a game.

PoR's direct sequel, FE: Radiant Dawn on the Wii, isn't as good but is still a worthy successor. It's much harder while also being much easier due to how the campaign is structured. Critically, it makes the badass Sniper from the first game--Shinon--into a viable character to use and overhauls some of the weirder choices from PoR (like a Laguz in human form is now able to attack, rather than stand there pathetically).

I will admit I haven't played the GC/WII/NES/SNES ones, but Fire Emblem 6 and 7 are probably 2 of my favorite games of all time. 8 is very good, and does the Awakening map thing way better, but the world map still makes it a lesser game.

I know Path of Radiance is considered great, but I just don't like SRPGs on console. I have it sitting in my Dolphin library, so I'll get to it someday.

4 is really good, but it's much harder than the GBA/GC/Wii ones until you reach a certain point in the game where the game either gets stupid hard or real easy for story/gameplay reasons. 5 I'm scared to try since I hear it's insanely hard.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Also at least you guys will get it in a week. I haven't even got a release date yet. :(

I seriously hate nintendo sometimes.

yami4ct

I really got into Fire Emblem GBA, as well as the GC and Wii ones. Never beat any of them, but I liked the games' style. Not sure I like how they've doubled down on the anime.

FE has always been super anime. Previous games just hid it behind sprite art and rarely showed the full anime.

The main problem with Awakening, besides balance, isn't the waifus or anime. The real problem is the writing is garbage. Sounds like Fates isn't better in that regard, but at least the core game seems significantly improved.

FE: Path of Radiance is a classic. It's got a solid, satisfying progression and a wide cast of characters. Really replayable; the hard difficulty is sublime. A top-to-bottom masterpiece of a game.

PoR's direct sequel, FE: Radiant Dawn on the Wii, isn't as good but is still a worthy successor. It's much harder while also being much easier due to how the campaign is structured. Critically, it makes the badass Sniper from the first game--Shinon--into a viable character to use and overhauls some of the weirder choices from PoR (like a Laguz in human form is now able to attack, rather than stand there pathetically).

I'll get to PoR eventually. I just have a harder time getting myself to play SRPGs not on a handheld.

I would've bought Radiant Dawn, but at the time I found something off putting about the character art. I have zero clue why. I guess I was just an idiot back then. Really wish I had in retrospect. Well, hindsight is 20/20.

Jintor

I've put down $50 on the preorder for the $199 special edition though.

Mmmmmhmmmm.

PALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

santeesioux

Which new FE campaign should you play first if you have the Special Edition preordered and have only played Awakening but didn't think that was overly difficult?

yami4ct

Which new FE campaign should you play first if you have the Special Edition preordered and have only played Awakening but didn't think that was overly difficult?

My ordering is Birthright->Conquest->Revelation.

Playing Birthright first let's you get the more boring campaign out of the way first. Playing Conquest first would likely make Birthright more boring for you just because of the lack of variety. Revelation will spoil aspects of both, so even though it's easier than Conquest, it is best saved for last.

santeesioux

My ordering is Birthright->Conquest->Revelation.

Playing Birthright first let's you get the more boring campaign out of the way first. Playing Conquest first would likely make Birthright more boring for you just because of the lack of variety. Revelation will spoil aspects of both, so even though it's easier than Conquest, it is best saved for last.

I'm coming around to that order too. I wanted to play Conquest first, but it's apparently downhill from there, and Birthright is supposed to be more like Awakening, so that might be better for me on a first playthrough.

I'm hearing from people that you should do Birthright on hard (since normal is stupidly easy), then Conquest and then Revelation both on normal.

I might end up doing multiple playthroughs so ill probably end up cranking the difficulty after my first run.

SRPGs are about tension. Being able to lose at a metagame is the height of tension. I'm perfectly fine with both styles as long as they commit.

For XCOM in particular, I love it when it feels like you can actually lose at the metagame. For Enemy Unknown, once I figured out how to play the game I felt there was zero way I could lose the metagame.

I hate feeling like I wasted my time, but I guess tension can be fun. I just did a map where I had to defend a thousand year old dragon, and it was tense as hell.

if you ain't got no skin in the game...

you're a skeleton?

Dude.

Dark mage.

I didn't even bothered with anyone else because I steamrolled everything with my dark mages and just walked everyone else to the end.

I wasn't even trying to min max.

I only have one and I've never used him. I have a few sages, though, and they clean house.

Also at least you guys will get it in a week. I haven't even got a release date yet. :(

I seriously hate nintendo sometimes.

Hey, you guys get Bravely Second earlier, and I'd rather have that.

yami4ct

I hate feeling like I wasted my time, but I guess tension can be fun. I just did a map where I had to defend a thousand year old dragon, and it was tense as hell.

To me, a loss isn't a waste of time. The previous campaign ended in failure, but I likely learned a ton from it. Loss of progress doesn't equal wasted time.

yami4ct

The difficulty balance of Digimon Cyber Sleuth is awful. It's sad that an otherwise good game has fallen to this.

I still really like it, but the solution to difficulty balance shouldn't be 'turn it down'. I have access to the most powerful monsters in the game, correctly built and I know how to play them, and some of the fights purely come down to luck. I play mainline SMT and Etrian Odyssey games. I know how to play a JRPG. It isn't a case of me being bad.

yami4ct

Hey look. Another 'censorship' thread. Now comes the cycle of me going in thinking it's gong to be hilarious and then me hating humanity once again. We haven't gotten to part 2 yet, let's see how long the thread goes before getting there.

Eh, still need to see with that. Bravely first had a strong start and not much else.

Bravely Default has a really cool and innovative gameplay system and some fantastic quality of life stuff I would love to see in every other JRPG. It's sad that the game isn't great on pretty much every other level.

Hey look. Another 'censorship' thread. Now comes the cycle of me going in thinking it's gong to be hilarious and then me hating humanity once again. We haven't gotten to part 2 yet, let's see how long the thread goes before getting there.

where

is it fates emblem

Is this confirmed?
And is tomorrow today?

Jeffrey mentioned on podcast, which was recorded today.
Tuesday's tomorrow.

Lets do this.
CbCrBqwWAAEH0HH.jpg:small

yami4ct

That SF thread got locked in record time. Now it can forever remain beautiful and unsullied by the sadness that was sure to come.

My internet has been up and down a few times tonight, and that might actually be the worst thing. How did we live before the internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom