• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yo, I probably played way too much Bloody Roar 3 than I should have, but you have to agree that in the pantheon of fighting games it's a footnote.

Unfortunately.

On a side note, I'm pretty sure Danny O Dwyer is playing Far Cry Primal because of the comments he's made on twitter. About 99% sure.

Danny O'Dwyer ‏@dannyodwyer 32m32 minutes ago Oakland, CA

I'm starting to think publishers should announce press embargo dates because it's getting harder & harder to spot the paid influencer crap.

Which is to say it's getting harder & harder to trust anyone who talks about games on the internet because it's become such a tangled mess.

I think that's the point.

Xater

Yeah. I saw Jontron upload a Far Cry video yesterday, and was like 'WELL LOOK AT THAT SHILL'. And then with Danny's comments today, it's like 'well that makes sense'.

Jontron is on the Ubisoft money train now? Oh my.

I saw the Super Best Friends having some paid content recently, but they mark it as promotion everywhere at least. That way it was very obvious.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Jontron is on the Ubisoft money train now? Oh my.

I saw the Super Best Friends having some paid content recently, but they mark it as promotion everywhere at least. That way it was very obvious.

Star Wars checks stopped coming, he had to go somewhere.

Yeah. I saw Jontron upload a Far Cry video yesterday, and was like 'WELL LOOK AT THAT SHILL'. And then with Danny's comments today, it's like 'well that makes sense'.

so you weren't questioning him when his entire channel was all about star wars beginning in may, and was coincidentally drawn out until around when the movie came out

ANOTHER SFV thought: Some people are probably like "Well, the full lobbies are coming in a few weeks, along with other stuff that's missing. I can live with that."

That's fine, but I don't trust AT ALL that any of that shit will work or be worth anything. Hearing how story modes are 3 single rounds braindead AI with terrible art and writing..

so you weren't questioning him when his entire channel was all about star wars beginning in may, and was coincidentally drawn out until around when the movie came out

No, I've been questioning him since he left Game Grumps.

Everyone blames Arin for him leaving GG, I've always been one to blame Jontron. That lazy shill.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I don't get this reference, probably because I don't follow the guy: Just saw a couple of his videos over the years.

I saw probably half a dozen different Star Wars videos suggested from his channel late last year. I don't subscribe to his channels or really watch his videos (or Star Wars videos for that matter), but it's all I saw of his content during the war between Christmas and Star Wars to see who gets more public displays.

ANOTHER SFV thought: Some people are probably like "Well, the full lobbies are coming in a few weeks, along with other stuff that's missing. I can live with that."

That's fine, but I don't trust AT ALL that any of that shit will work or be worth anything. Hearing how story modes are 3 single rounds braindead AI with terrible art and writing..

well, the story mode included is basically there as a bulletpoint for the press and such. the "true" story mode wont come till June.

really, unless someone feels that they'll miss out on too much of the meta by not playing it now, the best thing to do is hold off. It's simply a work in progress right now, why pay for promises when you can get a better and fuller experience for cheaper in a few months

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Can't they just give someone like JonTron an earlier end to the embargo? I guess that would already fall into the favoritism category, but it doesn't have to be paid for. He'll get his exclusive clicks, they get their special attention.

edit: Thanks for quoting all my edits lol

Xater

Can't they just give someone like JonTron an earlier embargo? I guess that would already fall into the favoritism category, but it doesn't have to be paid for.

Haha, no they gladly pay these Youtubers their peanuts for that exposure.

Can't they just give someone like JonTron an earlier end to the embargo? I guess that would already fall into the favoritism category, but it doesn't have to be paid for. He'll get his exclusive clicks, they get their special attention.

You think they do that knowing that JonTron is going to give them a bad review (im assuming that if he spoke earlier than the press that he gave the game heaps of praise)?

Naw, i don't buy it. I'm not sure exactly what type of agreement Mr. Tron has with ubisoft but surely it doesn't include him being allow to talk about the game early so that he can bury it

Just pulled up his channel. Most recent video description:

well there it is

honestly I just kind of look at any given popular Youtuber and think that they're just outlets for companies to market to children

Pewdiepie is the new Joe Camel

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
You think they do that knowing that JonTron is going to give them a bad review (im assuming that if he spoke earlier than the press that he gave the game heaps of praise)?

Naw, i don't buy it. I'm not sure exactly what type of agreement Mr. Tron has with ubisoft but surely it doesn't include him being allow to talk about the game early so that he can bury it

well there it is

These sorts of deals occasionally (I'd say often, but I haven't seen enough to actually be sure) encourage making a few negative jokes in the video to make it seem more authentic. Some do just give free reign to give an honest opinion, for what it's worth.

Xater

honestly I just kind of look at any given popular Youtuber and think that they're just outlets for companies to market to children

Pewdiepie is the new Joe Camel

If they show off pre-release stuff it's ver very likely they have been paid off. I'd almost say it's guaranteed.

Indie games are most often the exception. They don#t have any money they just give access in the hope of exposure.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I guess my thought process was: the bigger the youtuber, the less sense it makes for them to do paid-for content and ruin their image and the smaller ones are actually worse, because a lot of them are probably struggling.

But I guess I was wrong, never bet on credibility.

justjim89

After hearing the Bombcast, it really sounds like the only reason the Street Fighter review doesn't have a score is because Jason loves Street Fighter too much as a brand to give it the score it actually deserves at this time. Because I don't recall any other reviews happening like this, and from the sound of all the content that's not in the game yet it's a 3/5 tops.

These sorts of deals occasionally (I'd say often, but I haven't seen enough to actually be sure) encourage making a few negative jokes in the video to make it seem more authentic. Some do just give free reign to give an honest opinion, for what it's worth.

well yeah, of course they'll allow a jab here or there. It all serves to make the video more "real" like you said

omgkitty

After hearing the Bombcast, it really sounds like the only reason the Street Fighter review doesn't have a score is because Jason loves Street Fighter too much as a brand to give it the score it actually deserves at this time. Because I don't recall any other reviews happening like this, and from the sound of all the content that's not in the game yet it's a 3/5 tops.

Well technically he hasn't been able to test the online with full servers yet either, but yeah 3/5 sounds right.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
If they show off pre-release stuff it's ver very likely they have been paid off. I'd almost say it's guaranteed.

Less often than you'd think. Maybe for the biggest publishers, certainly for the big publishers who otherwise go after videos and take them down, but disclosure is actually pretty good for the most part. There was big mess kicked up in 2014 about Microsoft not requiring disclosure that the video was paid for and it scared everybody into doing it right. XCOM2 had ample pre-release coverage from outlets of all sizes and most of that wasn't paid.

Plus like with anything else, you can just find the people who have credibility and are honest about whatever agreement there was. Paradox Entertainment has flown people to events for all of their games and allowed preview coverage of them, but they don't actually pay for the videos. Just like with old journalism as long as you have people telling you that up-front there's no real issue with it.

3/5 would be very fair for what the game is now. Unfortunately that review would be pretty outdated in a month, but it's not like anyone really reads reviews after the initial launch.

Xater

I guess my thought process was: the bigger the youtuber, the less sense it makes for them to do paid-for content and ruin their image and the smaller ones are actually worse, because a lot of them are probably struggling.

But I guess I was wrong, never bet on credibility.

Most of them will gladly whore themselves out. I question how some people for example still post video from Jack Frags after he was exposed to have paid content and not letting anyone know about it.

I have to say I was shocked by some of the score SFV got. Some of those reviews seem way too lenient to me.

Less often than you'd think. Maybe for the biggest publishers, certainly for the big publishers who otherwise go after videos and take them down, but disclosure is actually pretty good for the most part. There was big mess kicked up in 2014 about Microsoft not requiring disclosure that the video was paid for and it scared everybody into doing it right. XCOM2 had ample pre-release coverage from outlets of all sizes and most of that wasn't paid.

Plus like with anything else, you can just find the people who have credibility and are honest about whatever agreement there was. Paradox Entertainment has flown people to events for all of their games and allowed preview coverage of them, but they don't actually pay for the videos. Just like with old journalism as long as you have people telling you that up-front there's no real issue with it.

The difference was though, that the press was also allowed to show stuff earlier from Xcom. If you see stuff earlier from Youtubers than the press it's always questionable.

StoveOven

Banned
I have to say I was shocked by some of the score SFV got. Some of those reviews seem way too lenient to me.

The core is so good though. It really is a 5/5 on the mechanical front and a 2/5 on the content front. Personally, I'd give the game a 4 right now, but I expect Jason to give it a 3.

Strax

What I don't understand is when companies give codes/review copies to guys like DarkSydePhil (DSP) who at best gets 5000 views per video, is very controversial, blames games for his mistakes and so on.

omgkitty

I think most people agree the game plays great, and to some people all they care about is online, so if the game plays great and works, that's all they need. And with the promise of content coming soon, I can very easily see why some people gave it high review scores.

Xater

I think most people agree the game plays great, and to some people all they care about is online, so if the game plays great and works, that's all they need. And with the promise of content coming soon, I can very easily see why some people gave it high review scores.

Personally I'd say that a failure towards your general audience, but whatever. I knew what I got into, but not everyone might.

I want a Beast vs. West series for Street Fighter. I know, right now, that Beast has no chance. But I love the idea of a world where Alex Navarro, The Wolf, is the GB Street Fighter V Undisputed Heavyweight Champion. GET TRAINING, ALEX.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
The difference was though, that the press was also allowed to show stuff earlier from Xcom. If you see stuff earlier from Youtubers than the press it's always questionable.

Sure, but you should be cautious when dealing with any outlet getting significantly earlier coverage than others.

Yea, I am starting to think it is not gonna happen today. They are usually on the schedule at this point.

I feel like their streams are always random on if they make it on the schedule or not. Or maybe there was just some miscommunication and they're just doing a QL and not a stream of Trucker?

Can't wait for his sponsored vape rig episodes

tumblr_o2ixkcEZZh1qg329vo1_540.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom