• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Is it harder than the end of EU?

Actually, now I remembered that I breezed the last bit of EU with my sniper because snipers are ridiculous in that game.

justjim89

Actually, now I remembered that I breezed the last bit of EU with my sniper because snipers are ridiculous in that game.

Well apparently I made it much harder on myself by not unlocking the last tier of weapon and armor upgrades, which the game did not tell me even existed. So perhaps I'll have to say "Fuck it" to the 3 hours or so of progress I played tonight, roll back to an earlier save and grind out the upgrades.

yami4ct

EU has a learning curve with the metagame, and your soldiers are a bit flimsy for a while, but once you know what you're doing and have a powered up squad, you're practically invincible.

Jintor

Well apparently I made it much harder on myself by not unlocking the last tier of weapon and armor upgrades, which the game did not tell me even existed. So perhaps I'll have to say "Fuck it" to the 3 hours or so of progress I played tonight, roll back to an earlier save and grind out the upgrades.

Honestly I'm amazed you even got that far on magnetics and predator. The sectopods and andros should have been swatting you into paste. And you don't even have any psi!

justjim89

Honestly I'm amazed you even got that far on magnetics and predator. The sectopods and andros should have been swatting you into paste. And you don't even have any psi!

I have one psi soldier (young Jason Oestreicher) but he only has like two abilities, and neither of them are mind control. It unlocks so late, I didn't wanna just spin my wheels while he trained up.

As far getting that far, it's mostly out of patience and savescuming. Reloading to the beginning of the last turn if I moved too far and triggered enemies before I was ready, reloading knowing where enemies will be to better position my squad, etc. The game was challenging, but not unfairly so. It didn't feel like I was under-equipped. I've only seen like two sectopods in my whole run, and they can be dealt with in a turn or two if my whole squad focuses on them. Same with andromedons, never really let them get too close.

I am playing on normal difficulty, so it's probably just a combination of playing cheaply and dumb luck.

danm999

The only thing I've found remotely difficult in XCOM are Sectopods or those eye orb things that spawn as part of pods, but as long as you have a Psi soldier you can stasis them, kill everything else, then spend a turn focus firing them down.

Myggen

LongAgonizingAntbear.gif

The only thing I've found remotely difficult in XCOM are Sectopods or those eye orb things that spawn as part of pods, but as long as you have a Psi soldier you can stasis them, kill everything else, then spend a turn focus firing them down.

The first Sectopod I encountered I got the achievement to
kill it in one turn

(Playing on Rookie like a true scrub)

Codex are the worst, they always disable weapons for at least half my squad because I'm terrible with spreading out.

Jothel

Downloaded and played the Kerbal demo just enough to know that I much prefer watching that than playing it.
Might have something to do with my terrible laptop and lack of mouse though

Yeah, the last fight of EU was comically easy if you had an Archangel Sniper since there was only one enemy that you needed to kill and he was chilling on an exposed platform in the middle of the room. XCOM 2's finale is considerably more difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom