• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.
Waiting for them to patch the PS4 version before I jump into Firewatch. You didn't fancy it too much?
It was fine, I just felt their was so much potential in the concept that was squandered in their execution.
I'm hoping GBeast does that spoilercast, the ending fell really flat for me so I'd be interested to hear their thoughts on it.
I'd like to hear their take as well. The "what is Firewatch?" schtick from GB was probably a factor in setting my expectations.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
did austin ever expand on his issues with the philosophical / political musings of the witness?

He's still working on his article, but he also recorded a spoilercast with some of his friends earlier this week. The short version is that he feels the Witness, both in design and via its logs, presents its careful meditations on science and art and beauty as "the way to see the world", in sort of a "if we all just thought logically we could solve all of our problems", and I think his response was "yeah but if you live under a brutal dictatorship in fear of having your door kicked in any day that doesn't exactly help you". Basically that the game's attitude is somewhat privileged in what it thinks of how people should think

"What a hot bargain!" - Jeff

gawd, the way he said it was so fucking funny.

Jeff was on fire during that podcast.

His realization of Bethesda actually peddling the same broken shit for years while watching his significant other playing Morrowind was also a great moment.

justjim89

I think I'll probably just watch the video. Not sure I ever wanna play Witness again at this point, might as well get some insight into the game's design.

Alucrid

Banned
He's still working on his article, but he also recorded a spoilercast with some of his friends earlier this week. The short version is that he feels the Witness, both in design and via its logs, presents its careful meditations on science and art and beauty as "the way to see the world", in sort of a "if we all just thought logically we could solve all of our problems", and I think his response was "yeah but if you live under a brutal dictatorship in fear of having your door kicked in any day that doesn't exactly help you". Basically that the game's attitude is somewhat privileged in what it thinks of how people should think

thanks i definitely see what he means after going back through the game a bit, where's that podcast located? couldn't find anything - unless it's just recorded and not released yet. i haven't watched the jeff/brad/blow video yet, but i think it would be really interesting to get austin and blow in a room together.

I'm really glad I got The Witness. Finishing that challenge area was so gratifying.

Yeah, the Challenge was infuriating but so satisfying. Not sure why people are complaining about its difficulty as it's a completely optional area that is clearly meant to throw all of the methods you've acquired over 25-30 hours right out the window.

daydream

Banned
no cyber sleuth ql is a real shame, game reminds me a lot of the first bravely default in that it nails a lot of things and falls blatantly short in others, leaving a lot of room for improvement in a sequel (i.e. new order)

The Technomancer

thanks i definitely see what he means after going back through the game a bit, where's that podcast located? couldn't find anything - unless it's just recorded and not released yet. i haven't watched the jeff/brad/blow video yet, but i think it would be really interesting to get austin and blow in a room together.

I listened to it recorded live, I think it will go up sometime soon, probably on the RunButton Youtube channel

I look forward to either hearing this or reading the article. I'm interested if he takes into account the very late game logs. They don't really negate any of that but they do sort of take a different spin on things as a whole than the rest of the logs.

justjim89

Finished my GB duder XCOM 2 run (thanks to some ini edits to even out the progression I missed out on) and I promptly uninstalled XCOM 2. I loved the game, but no way I can play that again for a few months. Drew and Danny got killed in the final turn, but their sacrifice allowed Vinny and Austin to take the final shots to defeat the aliens. Hell of a game, overall I'd say I liked it better than the first.

Frith

where did you find this?

you keep saying podcast but i only know about friends at the table is it a secret?

The Technomancer

where did you find this?

you keep saying podcast but i only know about friends at the table is it a secret?

No its with Kyle Churchill of RunButton and Jon who's last name I always forget
(the other half of RunButton is Keith from Friends at the Table).

The podcast was livestreamed on RunButton's GameWisp (think Patreon but specifically for streamers), I assume it will go up on the RunButton Youtube channel within a week

Frith

No its with Kyle Churchill of RunButton and Jon who's last name I always forget
(the other half of RunButton is Keith from Friends at the Table).

The podcast was livestreamed on RunButton's GameWisp (think Patreon but specifically for streamers), I assume it will go up on the RunButton Youtube channel within a week

ahh thanks

He replied earlier that he watched it live, it will probably go up later.

this thread is like the witness i should have slept on it and come back maybe i would have seen it

I know I'm chiming in late, but I'm super glad GB is able to do things like The Witness video with Jonathan Blow. Some of the things I find most interesting about Blu-Rays is the behind the scenes and director/producer commentary. I don't think we have enough "behind the scenes" when it comes to video games and only once in a blue moon do we get commentary in the actual game. Super cool to see GB do something similar and even cooler that Jeff and Brad get to sit down as well and be the audience surrogates and ask questions that we might have.

The fact that the top 2 videos on giantbomb.com right now are The Witness with Jonathan and American Truck Simulator QL is a pretty good encapsulation of why this website is awesome.

I know I'm chiming in late, but I'm super glad GB is able to do things like The Witness video with Jonathan Blow. Some of the things I find most interesting about Blu-Rays is the behind the scenes and director/producer commentary. I don't think we have enough "behind the scenes" when it comes to video games and only once in a blue moon do we get commentary in the actual game. Super cool to see GB do something similar and even cooler that Jeff and Brad get to sit down as well and be the audience surrogates and ask questions that we might have.

The fact that the top 2 videos on giantbomb.com right now are The Witness with Jonathan and American Truck Simulator QL is a pretty good encapsulation of why this website is awesome.

yeah i would like to see more of this in the future

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Nobodies? :(

Well I had a reply typed up and apparently just went to sleep instead of hitting submit. But I am thinking of checking out this weekend, it's an open beta right? I've heard enough good things about this game to make me curious again.

daydream

Banned
I really liked series 1-3.

hm well, only you know how much you wanna play the game

the game has a lot of style, a really cool soundtrack, the battle system is a bit unimaginative but serviceable, you can evolve your mons and whatnot

the glaring issues are the repetitive nature of, well, everything - you backtrack back and forth through the same environments over and over, you have to grind a lot if you wanna evolve your mons and unlock hacking abilities which are dependent on what mons you have, the localisation is utterly poor (e.g. the in-game fake chat called 'digiline' doesn't make sense half of the time, the replies don't line up with the questions, etc.), the tutorialising is rudimentary at best (i.e. a lot of stuff isn't explained; it's not the most system-heavy game but you will have to look some stuff up)

i'm enjoying it but the shortcomings are tangible. at least the narrative premise is light-heartedly silly enough (and good for a persona joke or two) but not in a way to keep you interested in the actual dialogue which is run-of-the-mill. keep your podcasts ready.

also, you're pretty much like me in terms of affection for the early seasons. you can roll with some classic mons, for sure. i got one in my party atm i have never seen in my life before, though, and it's from data squad so be prepared to just not care about some of the mons

Lunar FC

Well I had a reply typed up and apparently just went to sleep instead of hitting submit. But I am thinking of checking out this weekend, it's an open beta right? I've heard enough good things about this game to make me curious again.

Ye, you can preload it on PC & PS4 rn. I'm trying to keep my hype to a minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom