• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.

oti

Banned
I don't agree with the sentiment, but anyone who likes Skyward Sword can't be bad.

Skyward Sword is the most underrated Zelda. Heavily flawed, but what it does well it does fantastically.

In SS the way between the dungeons IS ANOTHER DUNGEON!

IT'S A VALUE PROPOSITION
$$$$

yami4ct

Do you guys think I need to watch the Rocky movies before I see Creed.

I have not seen one Rocky movie

Rocky is in it, and you'll likely get some nostalgic emotions with his appearance, but the core of the film works standalone. I watched Rocky for the first time like a week before and I still fell completely in love with Creed.

All 3D Zeldas except OOT are bad.

You're bad!

In, fact OOT is one of the worst 3D Zeldas. Only MM and TP are worse.

Renpatsu

I'd suggest watching the first at the very least. You don't need to see it to enjoy Creed, it can stand on its own (but is effective when you do know the film history).

Lunar FC

334.gif

robotrock

Banned
I was interested in Creed mainly because it's made by the same guy who did Fruitvale Station.

I'll check out Rocky before I watch Creed.

wrong

Skyward Sword is

I disagree with you as the reliance on motion control and heavy handed tutorials really hurt the experience, but the characters, music, and that last goddamn boss are so awesome, plus that's one of the cutest Zeldas to ever exist. It's definitely not as bad as people like to make it out to be.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
You're bad!

In, fact OOT is one of the worst 3D Zeldas. Only MM and TP are worse.

I don't even.
That's the worst opinion I have ever seen. Ever.
The exact opposite is the case.
The official list is this
Majora-Ocarina-Twilight-Windwaker
I don't even include Skyward Sword here because it has no place in this list. It's the Alien 4 of Zelda games.

yami4ct

I don't even.
I don't even include Skyward Sword here because it has no place in this list. It's the Alien 4 of Zelda games.

Skyward Sword is better than Ocarina. I'll say it. It's not near the top of the 3D Zelda list, but Ocarina just doesn't hold up.

Skyward Sword has annoying handholding issues and the repeated environments suck, but it has fun dungeons, a really cool art style and characters with a lot of heart. OOT added a lot for the time, but in retrospect it lacks in a lot of places. The OOT world is bland, the story is too standard even for Zelda, the Time Travel is more tedious than interesting, and the graphical style is boring.

I recognize OOT for its importance, but evaluating it on modern standards and it doesn't quite hold. Still fantastic like any non MM or Twilight Princess 3D Zelda, but a bit lesser for time.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

It's not exactly a complex backstory, especially considering one of the movies never happened. The first Rocky was a great movie though, and the first four are all entertaining for entirely different ways.

oti

Banned
I don't even.

You are the Alien 4 of this thread.

Is Alien 4 bad or what? Never seen any Alien movie.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Skyward Sword is better than Ocarina. I'll say it. It's not near the top of the 3D Zelda list, but Ocarina just doesn't hold up.

get the fuuuuuuuuuuck out of here

Skyward Sword is shit. Ocarina of Time is STILL the best. Unless you're like 12 and have no sense of historical perspective.

still tho. nah.

yami4ct

I've been thinking more warmly about Twilight Princess recently. It's a great game. Just a couple points away from being superb, even.

I would say that the Wolf Link and super boring overworld ruin make a game with really good set of dungeons pretty boring overall.

get the fuuuuuuuuuuck out of here

Skyward Sword is shit. Ocarina of Time is STILL the best. Unless you're like 12 and have no sense of historical perspective.

still tho. nah.

Evaluating a game including historical value and on its own are 2 separate ideas. OOT is fantastic if you take into account historical value. Of course it is. I think the more interesting discussion is does it completely hold up on modern terms. I would argue it does not.

Also, Skyward Sword is a excellent games with heavy flaws.

Don't buy XCOM 2 until Firaxis figures out what the fuck is wrong with their game. 3 was generous for Dan to give with all the crashes, hangs, and breaking bugs this thing has.

It's terrible because I really love XCOM 2. Nothing delivers gameplay quite like it, and it's a huge improvement over EW to me. But goddamn I can't end a mission without the screen getting stuck between loading the returning ship cutscene. Not to mention the terrible performance overall.

Fantastapotamus

Skyward Sword has annoying handholding issues and the repeated environments suck, but it has fun dungeons, a really cool art style and characters with a lot of heart. OOT added a lot for the time, but in retrospect it lacks in a lot of places. The OOT world is bland, the story is too standard even for Zelda, the Time Travel is more tedious than interesting, and the graphical style is boring.

I recognize OOT for its importance, but evaluating it on modern standards and it doesn't quite hold. Still fantastic like any non MM or Twilight Princess 3D Zelda, but a bit lesser for time.

I refuse to partake in this discussion. You are a raving madman. A MADMAN.

I do hope it's clear that I'm joking. Though Skyward Sword is a fucking awful game in my opinion. The only Zelda game I never finished.

You are the Alien 4 of this thread.

Is Alien 4 bad or what? Never seen any Alien movie.

Ho boy.
You have no idea. People like to joke around saying "this movie is bad" or "that movie is bad" but Alien 4 might be the worst movie I have ever seen, if you take the names involved into account.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Also, Skyward Sword is a excellent games with heavy flaws.

I would argue it is a bad game by Zelda standards, which makes it like a 7/10. It has awful pacing, Skyloft is the worst overworld in the series (there is fucking NOTHING going on), the entire game feels like a long dungeon slog, awful stealth/swimming sections and obnoxiously repetitive structure, and of course, shitty motion controls that turn every combat encounter into a waiting game where you just wait until you can parry and riposte, because fuck trying to move the wiimote just so so that it does what you want. Much more reliable to parry. Stabbing in particular just did not work consistently for me.

OoT has none of these flaws and imo holds up perfectly. I think it's the best game ever made, but even by non-Zelda standards Skyword Sword just aint cutting it. It's just not very good.

Ocarina's incredibly basic if you go back and look at it, but I'd still rate it highly for how important it is. At the time, it seemed mind-blowingly complex, but it's been bested in that regard.

Skyward is an incredibly intricate and dense game, which I'm sure is a disappointment for people who wanted to explore or whatever. Honestly, I like the game a whole lot, but it's designed more like a Metroid game than something in the Ocarina lineage. They probably should have expunged any artifice of non-linearity, like the sky, because that stuff felt half-baked.

Essentially, it should have just been all dungeons because they were pretty close to that ideal. Also the sword controls were amazing, but, unfortunately, it's locked that game to specific hardware. And that can't be changed without some pretty garbage compromises like right stick sword aiming.

hamchan

Ocarina and Wind Waker are the only ones I would recommend people play.

Maybe Majora's Mask if they are crazy people like Patrick and Dan.

yami4ct

Ocarina's incredibly basic if you go back and look at it, but I'd still rate it highly for how important it is. At the time, it seemed mind-blowingly complex, but it's been bested in that regard.

Skyward is an incredibly intricate and dense game, which I'm sure is a disappointment for people who wanted to explore or whatever. Honestly, I like the game a whole lot, but it's designed more like a Metroid game than something in the Ocarina lineage. They probably should have expunged any artifice of non-linearity, like the sky, because that stuff felt half-baked.

This is exactly my opinion. I love Ocarina and can appreciate it for its historical value, but I do think its been bested on every level by modern games. I mean, it's been decades. Of course games have improved. It would be shocking if they didn't. I'm not saying Ocarina is bad or not worth playing, just that ranking Zeldas is much harder when you discuss without taking Historical Value into account.

You also hit my feelings about Skyward Sword right on the head. It totally does feel like a Metroid game. I think that combined with an art style that I really love is why I dig that game so much.

Fantastapotamus

You also hit my feelings about Skyward Sword right on the head. It totally does feel like a Metroid game. I think that combined with an art style that I really love is why I dig that game so much.

As somebody who thinks Metroid is Nintendo's best franchise I'm also offended by this.

Also Link's Awakening is the best 2D Zelda. Get your Link to the Past out my face.

High five, bro

yami4ct

As somebody who thinks Metroid is Nintendo's best franchise I'm also offended by this.

High five, bro

Let me hurt you even more. I think Skyward Sword's motion combat was exactly the diversion the series needed. I wouldn't want it to be the default going forward, but I thought as a massive change for a single game it was fantastic.

I know I'm pretty much alone in this opinion.

High five, bro
This is basically the test to detect the true fans. If someone says LttP, I know they're a filthy casual.
Wrong. Combine Oracle of Ages and Seasons and you get the real best 2D Zelda.
I don't know what to make of that, but I have totally been meaning to go back and play these. Played Seasons when it came out and loved it, but they're the most-forgotten Zelda games.

This is exactly my opinion. I love Ocarina and can appreciate it for its historical value, but I do think its been bested on every level by modern games. I mean, it's been decades. Of course games have improved. It would be shocking if they didn't. I'm not saying Ocarina is bad or not worth playing, just that ranking Zeldas is much harder when you discuss without taking Historical Value into account.

It reminds me of Demon's Souls, as well. Bigger focus on combat, shield parrying, returning multiple times to linear levels, nexus-esque hub level, stamina gauge, crafting, limited inventory, instant kill monsters...

It's uncanny. To me, at least.

Also Link's Awakening is the best 2D Zelda. Get your Link to the Past out my face.

Hell yeah.

You can say the same thing about Half-Life (which came out mere days before Ocarina). It hasn't aged spectacularly because every single thing it did has now been done a billion times and better, but man, at the time...hell, even the demo (which was unique and not just a slice of the game) was completely fucking mind-blowing.

Fantastapotamus

Let me hurt you even more. I think Skyward Sword's motion combat was exactly the diversion the series needed. I wouldn't want it to be the default going forward, but I thought as a massive change for a single game it was fantastic.

I know I'm pretty much alone in this opinion.

Eh, I didn't think the motion combat was the worst thing ever. It's probably the only thing about SS that I kinda liked. It was novel at least. Even though it made the enemies look really, really, really stupid.

Zelda isn't anime?

It's good so...no

yami4ct

This is basically the test to detect the true fans. If someone says LttP, I know they're a filthy casual.

I don't know what to make of that, but I have totally been meaning to go back and play these. Played Seasons when it came out and loved it, but they're the most-forgotten Zelda games.

The fact that Ages and Seasons are so forgotten is heartbreaking to me. They're so damn inventive and cool. I played them again recently and they absolutely hold up.

Alfredo

I absolutely loved Skyward Sword for the first third of the game. By the end, however, it's probably my least favorite Zelda game. Once the game stars recycling areas and boss fights, it's all downhill from there.

Majora's Mask is easily the best. You have to protect cows from being abducted by aliens in a Zelda game, and that's sick.

Fantastapotamus

The fact that Ages and Seasons are so forgotten is heartbreaking to me. They're so damn inventive and cool. I played them again recently and they absolutely hold up.

I like ages way more than seasons (the constant season changing got on my nerves sometimes), but they are both pretty good.

I absolutely loved Skyward Sword for the first third of the game. By the end, however, it's probably my least favorite Zelda game. Once the game stars recycling areas and boss fights, it's all downhill from there.

Majora's Mask is easily the best. You have to protect cows from being abducted by aliens in a Zelda game, and that's sick.

I really think Majora has one of the smartest ideas for a game ever. The three day cycle opened the game up for some amazing puzzles and even clever storytelling. It wasn't implemented perfectly of course, but I do want to see a modern game building on the idea.

yami4ct

Majora's Mask has got a fantastic creepy tone, but is boring as shit and tedious to actually play. The 3D version didn't do enough to fix it. Anyone who likes it is truly one of history's greatest monsters.

I like ages way more than seasons (the constant season changing got on my nerves sometimes), but they are both pretty good.

Ages is definitely the better of the two, but the way they reference each other once you put the clear password in and the final dungeon are both really damn cool. That's why I say they have to be taken together.

Joeku

Majora's Mask has got a fantastic creepy tone, but is boring as shit and tedious to actually play. The 3D version didn't do enough to fix it. Anyone who likes it is truly one of history's greatest monsters.

Oh, so opinions can be wrong. Fair enough.

Majora's Mask top three game of all time

I love Majora's Mask, but I never beat the 3DS version. I got the fancy sword and was like "I did it!"

I'm really looking forward to going back to them.

I was shocked at how boring some of the dungeons were when I played the 3DS version. There's some amazing stuff in that game, but some reaaaal lows too.

I'd like to see Nintendo revisit the idea of having interesting, clockwork NPCs like you get in MM, but they seem to be aiming for scale instead so I doubt it'll happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom