• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

It reminds me of Demon's Souls, as well. Bigger focus on combat, shield parrying, returning multiple times to linear levels, nexus-esque hub level, stamina gauge, crafting, limited inventory, instant kill monsters...

It's uncanny. To me, at least.

People are calling the next Zelda to be a Souls-like. Little do they know, the game that want already exists.

Oh, so opinions can be wrong. Fair enough.

Majora's Mask top three game of all time

It's not my fault you love an objectively horrible game.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I'm really looking forward to going back to them.

Sadly they are really annoying to play nowadays, because the gameboy only had two buttons you constantly have to go into your inventory. Nintendo really should update those games a tiny bit. I mean come on, if you are gonna resell them do a LITTLE bit of work first.

It's not my fault you love an objectively horrible game.

You're an objectively horrible game.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/nintendo-64/the-legend-of-zelda-majoras-mask
http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii/the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword

BOOM TAKE THAT. Now go and play your 93% garbage lol!
Metacritic saves the day again

I think we can all agree that Triforce Heroes was a misstep. I hope it didn't take any resources away from a real new 2D Zelda.

Speaking of which, as much as I liked A Link Between Worlds, I hope they go for a new thing with the next one, especially art-style wise.

Sadly they are really annoying to play nowadays, because the gameboy only had two buttons you constantly have to go into your inventory. Nintendo really should update those games a tiny bit. I mean come on, if you are gonna resell them do a LITTLE bit of work first.

That is unfortunate. My nostalgia will probably be able to suffer through that kind of stuff though.

daydream

Banned
I think we can all agree that Triforce Heroes was a misstep. I hope it didn't take any resources away from a real new 2D Zelda.

not really, it's a lot of fun

It's still insane to me that Nintendo never put out a 2D Metroid on the DS or 3DS btw. Like what the fuck.

they've said time and time again that they don't do new games if they don't feel like they have anything worthwhile to add to it. metroid is obviously such a case

While I'm not crazy about Skyward Sword, it's a shame the Zelda team moved to open world without giving the small dense overworld another chance in 3D.

yami4ct

You're an objectively horrible game.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/nintendo-64/the-legend-of-zelda-majoras-mask
http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii/the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword

BOOM TAKE THAT. Now go and play your 93% garbage lol!
Metacritic saves the day again

The inventory system does suck. It really does. I think the core game is good enough to justify the hassle, but I can see why someone would be put off.

The sprite art is soooo damn cool, too. God those are good games.

Speaking of which, as much as I liked A Link Between Worlds, I hope they go for a new thing with the next one, especially art-style wise.

With the success of Fire Emblem and the return of getting 2 full games at the same time, I think we all know what the right move is. It's time to make a sequel to the Oracle games. Do it Nintendo. It's the right thing.

yami4ct

It's still insane to me that Nintendo never put out a 2D Metroid on the DS or 3DS btw. Like what the fuck.

I want a new 2D Metroid so bad. Imagine what Nintendo could do with some really amazing 2.5D Metroid art.

I'll say this as far as Skyward Sword goes: Darksiders is a better Zelda game than it. Darksiders is rad as hell.

Darksiders 1 is such a damn cool game. I hate the try-hard heavy metal art, but the core game is so strong. Darksiders 2 has to be my biggest disappointment of the last generation.

I remember going over to my friends house for about what seemed to be 9 nights straight to play through OoT at release when I was in college. Great game but dunno how any of this stuff with hold up with the generation now in elementary school like my kids.

daydream

Banned
Yeah, but they also put out 5 New Super Mario Bros games.

i think from nintendo's perspective (which is the one that counts here if we're trying to understand why certain sequels get made and others don't) they've felt like they've come up with stuff to differentiate the games

and let's not underestimate sales here. i'd say they play a lesser role for nintendo than they do for other companies but at the end of the day, metroid isn't pulling in the numbers. as someone clamouring for a new advance wars, i know the feeling all to well

Joeku

Darksiders 1 is such a damn cool game. I hate the try-hard heavy metal art, but the core game is so strong. Darksiders 2 has to be my biggest disappointment of the last generation.

Darksiders 2 is exactly the wrong direction the series should have gone in, while being a goddamn sidestory. After the end of the first game was the hypest fucking shit ever, it was a huge letdown.

daydream

Banned
It seems fine for what it is. The game just seemed like 0% what I want from a Zelda game.

everyone has very pre-defined notions of what [game in nintendo franchise] should be and it bores me, frankly. not to mention that it undermines every single one of their arguments for and against a game

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I understand why people think Majora's Mask is interesting and creepy and all that

but as a game, I don't understand why anyone would say it's better than Ocarina. It has 4 dungeons. The overworld is literally a circle with quadrants - ice area, beach, forest, mountain. It's so dull. The 3-day structure is a neat idea but doesn't add much except frustration early on while you're figuring out how it works and what you can do. Again, neat idea, but lacking in execution. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great game, and I do kinda love it - but it's also one of the most flawed games in the series. I'd still put it in the top 5 though.

I'll say this as far as Skyward Sword goes: Darksiders is a better Zelda game than it. Darksiders is rad as hell.

This is hella true. The sequel was a big disappointment though.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
i think from nintendo's perspective (which is the one that counts here if we're trying to understand why certain sequels get made and others don't) they've felt like they've come up with stuff to differentiate the games

and let's not underestimate sales here. i'd say they play a lesser role for nintendo than they do for other companies but at the end of the day, metroid isn't pulling in the numbers. as someone clamouring for a new advance wars, i know the feeling all to well

Sure, but at the time Metroid WAS one of their big franchises. The Castlevania games did great on the DS. Not even attempting to make a 2D Metroid for the DS seems still insane to me.
Also, I really don't buy their explanation. That sounds like a "No, no your dog is living on a farm on the other side of the country!" explanation to appease fans. Like me.

everyone has very pre-defined notions of what [game in nintendo franchise] should be and it bores me, frankly. not to mention that it undermines every single one of their arguments for and against a game

Wellllll you're right, we shouldn't want the same ol' thing, and I don't. I couldn't tell you what I do want, though, not with any specificity. All I can say is I saw Triforce Heroes and thought "not that."

I thought the Darksiders combat was just terrible and that targeting camera was one of the worst things I've ever experienced in that kind of game. Which is weird because it's not like it was all that different to Zelda's, but something about the perspective and the added black bars actually made me nauseous.

I'm going to go with a wild opinion here

Zelda as a series

It is all stale and boring. It peaked at OoT. It's been downhill through there. OoT has not aged well. Going back to it, it is mediocre. All the most recent Zelda games are unfortunately underneath that.

daydream

Banned
Wellllll you're right, we shouldn't want the same ol' thing, and I don't. I couldn't tell you what I do want, though, not with any specificity. All I can say is I saw Triforce Heroes and thought "not that."

anyway, i'll add that getting something i want and that turned out good is pleasant enough but getting something i didn't want or didn't know i wanted and that convinces me is even better

because most of the times, what we want is the obvious thing. nintendo usually doesn't give me that obvious thing and, whether what they do give me hits or not, i can't help but find most aaa output dull in comparison

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I thought the Darksiders combat was just terrible and that targeting camera was one of the worst things I've ever experienced in that kind of game. Which is weird because it's not like it was all that different to Zelda's, but something about the perspective and the added black bars actually made me nauseous.

I don't remember it being that bad, but it's been awhile.

Darksiders 2 is exactly the wrong direction the series should have gone in, while being a goddamn sidestory. After the end of the first game was the hypest fucking shit ever, it was a huge letdown.
Don't remind me. I really appreciated that Vigil tried to make Darksiders 2 a bigger game but it just ended up being massively disappointing.

NSMB needs a serious rethinking on almost every level.

Bring back Metroid.

While I'm not crazy about Skyward Sword, it's a shame the Zelda team moved to open world without giving the small dense overworld another chance in 3D.

I strongly believe that whoever designed the desert area of SS should direct a Zelda game. Everything in that area was great. Even the dragon song thing was well done.

Jintor

anyway, i'll add that getting something i want and that turned out good is pleasant enough but getting something i didn't want or didn't know i wanted and that convinces me is even better

because most of the times, what we want is the obvious thing. nintendo usually doesn't give me that obvious thing and, whether what they do give me hits or not, i can't help but find most aaa output dull in comparison

what daydream said

that said also where's my 2d metroid you bastards? i even liked fusion! give it to me!

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
NSMB needs a serious rethinking on almost every level.

Bring back Metroid.

But they've done such an incredible job of making them all feel so different. Like this one's New Super Mario Brothers but on our newest system, it's completely different now because have you seen this shiny object? Look how shiny. What were we talking about?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I've always felt pretty weird in that I don't actually care for any nintendo franchise other than pokemon and fire emblem, mostly because I didn't grow up with them.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Finally had a Quesalupa. Using the Dan Ryckert's 100 point rating system, I'd give it a 93.

I'm not entirely clear what Dan Ryckert's 100 point system entails with regard to Taco Bell products (I'm assuming everything is between 90 and 100).

If that is the case I can agree with this assessment. Quesalupas are ok. 3/10 sounds about right. If you're already at the point of going to T-Bell, might as well get something else IMO. They are fun novelty, but I am not having another.

daydream

Banned
Wait.

I don't know where you're going with this.

2IuVuvS.gif

I've always felt pretty weird in that I don't actually care for any nintendo franchise other than pokemon and fire emblem, mostly because I didn't grow up with them.

I was a Sega kid. It gets better.

Doesn't Nintendo of Japan kinda hate Metroid? What a fucking bummer.

NCL had Retro make Metroid Prime in part because Metroid was significantly more popular in the West than Japan. I don't think they hate Metroid, but the series creator, Sakamoto clearly prefers to work on smaller quirkier titles, like Tomodachi Life and Rhythm Heaven, so it's been fallow since Other M. And I don't think they're going to force the issue.

Now Federation Force...that's someone having an idea for a really long time that finally became a thing at a really bad time. It'll probably be fine because Next Level is a good developer, but it's just not an easy sell right now. I sincerely believe, however, that there will be a "real" Metroid game in the next few years. It's not dead like Mach Rider or something.

Sorry about posting a selfie in a gaming thread, but I thought a few might be curious how the shirt this thread is titled after looks. I like it, nice quality, got a size L and it fits as expected, overall very happy with my dumb purchasing decision!

G-Pink

Sorry about posting a selfie in a gaming thread, but I thought a few might be curious how the shirt this thread is titled after looks. I like it, nice quality, got a size L and it fits as expected, overall very happy with my dumb purchasing decision!

I saw some text on the back when Dan and Jason had their shirts on UPF. Does that one have anything on the back of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom