• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.
cities: skylines is having a free weekend on steam, time to try it

Sweet! Thanks. I've been wanting to get the game (especially at the $11.99 price point), but my computer is terrible and I feel the game would be sluggish. I've been hoping they'd announce a PS4 version (one is coming to XB1). If this runs well for me, I'll just get the PC version. If it doesn't, I've not spent any money for it. Win win.

Edit- Just as I thought. To get it running well enough, I had to knock the settings down. Oh, well. Here's to hoping for a PS4 version that will surely run it better than my piece of junk PC. To be fair, I will have had it for five years in August. I know they're very old and outdated and lacking modern features, but I guess it's still SimCity 2000 and 3000 for me! The one that intrigues me, due to the simplicity is Citybound (http://cityboundsim.com/). The graphics look simplistic, but there is a realistic simulation behind it all (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SeAlGGnqIE).

daydream

Banned
Sweet! Thanks. I've been wanting to get the game (especially at the $11.99 price point), but my computer is terrible and I feel the game would be sluggish. I've been hoping they'd announce a PS4 version (one is coming to XB1). If this runs well for me, I'll just get the PC version. If it doesn't, I've not spent any money for it. Win win.

the game seems to run just fine on my laptop so that's good, but man, the font is tiny

also a bit iffy on the tutorial so far. still, the fact that it's running well means that i'll get it at some point, either in this sale or the next

i was super excited to play it and even bought it but it's basically unplayable on my decently specced macbook pro

Frith

Not quite. It'll pass that threshold next month. With Whisky Media: March 6th, 2008 (or July 21, 2008 when the full site launched) to March 14th, 2012 (1469 days). With CBSi: March 15th, 2012- present.

So, if I'm right, on Wednesday, March 24th, 2016, Giant Bomb will have been with CBSi (1470 days) longer than they were with Whisky Media (1469 days).

Just need to get some more foam and they will be settled in any day now!

Please understand

I mean that's pretty much UPF.

Touche....I don't know why people dislike UPF. It's always great.

Like, there was this other thread on podcasts, but it baffles me that people would only want a podcast that JUST focuses on games. It's like, I dunno, to me if I just wanted game news I would just read the news headlines.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Nah I like it when they bring in an oddity they want to have a look at, it's just that this week felt more like "Here are the games we were going to quick look anyway".

Eh, whatever. Still enjoyed it.

hamchan

At the time CBSi purchased them I honestly thought they would eventually get merged into Gamespot or have a lot of their freedom reduced. Turns out things have been pretty much the same except they have to go to meetings a lot more.

SCoQjzql.png

Yea, Brad too. I only joined Giantbomb a few years after they started and I've begun going through all the old podcasts for the first time. I didn't realize how long Giantbomb was just a Jeff and Ryan blog (and a drink testing podcast) before they became an actual site.

Nice to finally get the timetable of where everyone went after the Gamespot exodus sorted out in my head too; kind of amazing that Rorie and Alex managed to end up back at Giantbomb in retrospect.

Those podcasts are breaking my head with new game releases though. I refused to believe that GB pre-dates Alpha Protocol, Deadspace, Mirror's Edge, and other such titles.

Just hearing them talk about Gears 2 being announced and Ryan really wanting to talk about No More Heroes is super weird. It's like this weird time capsule of game announcements.

Okay so your post got me curious and I decided to listen to an old Bombcast (06-24-2008) while I made dinner. Two choice bits:

- They talk about the QTEs in Bourne Conspiracy and Brad pipes up with "So is that the nomenclature we're going with? 'Quick time events'?"

- Brad claims that the DualShock 3 is "probably a better controller" than the 360 controller and nobody disagrees.

Now I really dont know how to feel about old Brad.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

omgkitty

2012 what? Its been 4 years :eek:

My biggest doom and gloom blunder was when Vinny "left" for NY, I thought the bombcast would be dead and thus the site... although in my defense I do think the bombcast has become a much lesser podcast in the last year or so (in my opinion of course), I just didnt see the beastcast coming and being so good.

Yeah with Ryan gone, and then Vinny, Jeff was left with no foil to really bring out the best of his bits. Unfortunately it's still that way, with the funniest moments never really going as far as they did in the past as it's pretty much just everyone laughing at Jeff's jokes, but the East has since picked up some slack with Alex and Austin playing very well off of Vinny and his nonsense.

Nishastra

Banned
2012 what? Its been 4 years :eek:

My biggest doom and gloom blunder was when Vinny "left" for NY, I thought the bombcast would be dead and thus the site... although in my defense I do think the bombcast has become a much lesser podcast in the last year or so (in my opinion of course), I just didnt see the beastcast coming and being so good.
Yeah, I freaked out a bit about that one. Vinny was the driving force behind most of the premium content, and obviously GBeast wasn't something you could have predicted at the time.

It basically seemed like "the person who makes most of the video content is going to a place where he can't make video content" :p

yami4ct

Yeah with Ryan gone, and then Vinny, Jeff was left with no foil to really bring out the best of his bits. Unfortunately it's still that way, with the funniest moments never really going as far as they did in the past as it's pretty much just everyone laughing at Jeff's jokes, but the East has since picked up some slack with Alex and Austin playing very well off of Vinny and his nonsense.

I feel like Jeff and Brad have both stepped up and really became players now, which has filled the gap. Dan serves a different role, but still great. The dynamic has changed, but I like it just as much. The Jason/Dan back and forth never ceases to be amazing.

I love, love Vinny, but I do think the GB community tends to put a bit too much of GB's success on his feet. He's great, but I think he gets hyped too much.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Jeff is still the mvp, except now it's a different Jeff.

Seriously tho, Bachalar is awesome

omgkitty

I feel like Jeff and Brad have both stepped up and really became players now, which has filled the gap. Dan serves a different role, but still great. The dynamic has changed, but I like it just as much. The Jason/Dan back and forth never ceases to be amazing.

I love, love Vinny, but I do think the GB community tends to put a bit too much of GB's success on his feet. He's great, but I think he gets hyped too much.

Vinny is just pure chaos. I really like him, but at times he does have a habit of pushing things way too far or goes on too long, but I actually think with Alex and Austin playing very well off of this now, it's better. Having Vinny on the Bombcast again with Jeff late last year did have me miss them being together on a weekly basis though.

yami4ct

Vinny is just pure chaos. I really like him, but at times he does have a habit of pushing things way too far or goes on too long, but I actually think with Alex and Austin playing very well off of this now, it's better. Having Vinny on the Bombcast again with Jeff late last year did have me miss them being together on a weekly basis though.

Vinny is an enhancer. He isn't necessarily amazing on his own, but he brings out the humor in others. Him with Austin and Alex are MVP territory. I feel like he did that to the West crew when he was on there, but not nearly as much as he done in NY.

I never understood the doom and Gloom when Vinny left for the East Coast, the only tragic thing imo about it was no more Jeff/Vinny pairing in QLs.

And even that tragedy can be averted since they now have adequate tech to make that pair happen again.

Plus i think him being there for the East guys to riff on works out well for them (especially Alex since he has been alone for some time now and Patrick left)

omgkitty

Vinny is an enhancer. He isn't necessarily amazing on his own, but he brings out the humor in others. Him with Austin and Alex are MVP territory. I feel like he did at to the West crew when he was on there, but not nearly as much as he done in NY.

Yep, for the longest time I didn't even understand the Vinny craziness. For 3 or 4 years, I was mainly a podcast person, only really checking out the site every once in a while to watch some videos, and his absurdity didn't come out on the podcast as much. It's only in the last year or two, going back and watching old videos with him and him running the Beastcast that it's become hugely apparent to me.

omgkitty

And Rorie.

Speaking of Rorie, can someone give me a Rorie timeline? Like I know he worked for Obsidian, but did they know him before that and before he came to Whiskey? I know he did Screened with Alex, but then didn't he leave for a little while and then when Dave left he came in as the community manager?

yami4ct

And Rorie.

Drew is MVP.

Drew and Rorie: Most Underrated GB Members.

Drew constantly bringing in new mobile and handheld games is great and I love him finding random weird military sims or games from non-traditional Game Development countries. Stories of his life/travels/interests are always great for me as well.

Rosie is just gold any time he's on UPF. His weird hangups and constant state of half-obliviousness due to chat watching are amazing. His affable personality makes him charming as hell as well.

Speaking of Rorie, can someone give me a Rorie timeline? Like I know he worked for Obsidian, but did they know him before that and before he came to Whiskey? I know he did Screened with Alex, but then didn't he leave for a little while and then when Dave left he came in as the community manager?

I belive he went from Gamespot to Obsidian to Whisky (Screened) to GB.

he was at Gamespot with the guys in those days and written a lot of game guides

omgkitty

Rosie is just gold any time he's on UPF. His weird hangups and constant state of half-obliviousness due to chat watching are amazing. His affable personality makes him charming as hell as well.

I belive he went from Gamespot to Obsidian to Whisky (Screened) to GB.

Okay so he was at Gamespot? I thought he was but I wasn't sure (I was never a Gamespot guy).

Best most recent Rorie moment - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm20LsjTJR0

Any update on the crews Devil Daggers scores? Wanna know who is puttin in work.

Brad mentioned on UPF twitter that DD's top scorer (the 8 minute one) + the replay got removed. Don't know why.

I was actually wondering at the time if it was some kind of aimbot due to the sheer precision of their attacks... But I generally think that about everyone unnaturally skilled, so I dismissed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom