• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.

WasabiJoe

Neo Member
I hope they record some Windjammers before Vinny goes home.

Also, congrats to Jeff! Hope they all have a blast with the superbowl traffic!

justjim89

Maybe it's just because I never played them in their day, but I'm curious why anyone plays Doom these days when Duke 3D exists. Old school charm and speed but plays a lot better.

Frenden

Banned
Doom is miles ahead of Duke IMO. Way better enemy variety and more interesting gun mechanics. Duke was a more complicated, less fun version of that formula.

Obviously, opinions and all that.

Haunted

I feel like the Obvious Twist for Firewatch is SO obvious that it can't possibly happen, or at least be delivered in a way that isn't fairly predictable.
That's what we said about SOMA, so the devs solved that by not making it a surprise twist, but telling you pretty much straight up in the first hour or so the thing that people assumed would be a twist with a big reveal before launch. The rest of the game just explored the questions and themes raised by the idea and showed that well written games... don't even need a twist.

That said, the footage of Firewatch I've seen (have not watched the QL) and the previous games headed by Jake and Sean do hint at a mystery here that seems to require resolution, so who knows! Maybe there will be a twist.

ggerowqlsie6cyygeaur.gif
Well, that's more or less what everyone's first time is like.

Frenden

Banned
That's fair, I could see that. Doom is a lot more of a distilled experience.
I can understand the argument behind saying Duke did all the Doom stuff just a bit better, too.

I think Doom may be my favorite game of all time, though--Duke doesn't hold water here, haha.

What it comes down to for me is that pretty much every Doom enemy is memorable and you can create all sorts of interesting encounters just by mixing and matching the enemies in difference ways. And then I think about Duke 3D and, uh... there were pig cops?

Doom's got that combat puzzle thing goin on that still makes it one of the most entertaining shooters in existence, even today.

Frenden

Banned
What it comes down to for me is that pretty much every Doom enemy is memorable and you can create all sorts of interesting encounters just by mixing and matching the enemies in difference ways. And then I think about Duke 3D and, uh... there were pig cops?

Doom's got that combat puzzle thing goin on that still makes it one of the most entertaining shooters in existence, even today.
That's my stance too. There's a community OT that links to amazing wad packs STILL being made.

Doom is the Mario of FPSes. I'd love a Doom Maker with streamlined tools.

Yep totally Jeff's wedding this weekend.

J6ey9.gif

I must have missed it but was it specifically mentioned anywhere? It seems to me that it was just weird everyone being in SF then it was just people assuming and from what I get, we got a confirmation on UPF? Man, congrats Jeff! That's awesome. Sounds like an amazing UPF, can't wait to see it tomorrow during lunch.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
J6ey9.gif

I must have missed it but was it specifically mentioned anywhere? It seems to me that it was just weird everyone being in SF then it was just people assuming and from what I get it we got a confirmation on UPF? Man, congrats Jeff! That's awesome. Sounds like an amazing UPF, can't wait to see it tomorrow during lunch.
Johnny V periscope confirmed someone from GB was getting married.

I made a hilariously accurate version of a buddy of mine and the best part is that he's pulled off some insane hero moments.

this game is pretty fantastic

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Worst trend of 2016: People not able to just skip the parts about the Witness so they can just talk about the Witness like normal people

Wunder

I took my best shot at making Solid Scanlon (a grenadier, of course):

5nwlPAf.jpg

Trying to replicate real folks is tough because there's only six faces, and the hair colors are pretty bad too.

Damn that's pretty good, can I get the file to import him? Or you could DM me the settings if that's easier!

XCOM 2 is kicking my ass so bad I had to restart two Commander campaigns and I've just given up and started a Normal Ironman one for now.

yami4ct

I want to play XCOM 2 really badly, but I know I have Fire Emblem coming next week so it'll have to wait. Still, I'm so happy to hear its good.

I at least have Digimon to tide me over. It's still great. I just wish the human character designs weren't so distractingly trash. They get worse as more characters are intro cued as well.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
The complete dismissal of xcom 2 on giantbomb is bizarre. No quicklook, no mention in the bombcast or the beastcast apparently (at least not in the beastcast notes), its a big pc release and especially the sequel to giantbomb's own 2012 goty.

I mean I knew they werent excited for it with the "it looks like more of the same" comments a few bombcasts back (which in itself is a strange thing to say, I mean you cant have new IPs for every game, and its not like its a yearly series) but to ignore it on its release week is strange. Oh well

The complete dismissal of xcom 2 on giantbomb is bizarre. No quicklook, no mention in the bombcast or the beastcast apparently (at least not in the beastcast notes), its a big pc release and especially the sequel to giantbomb's own 2012 goty.

I mean I knew they werent excited for it with the "it looks like more of the same" comments a few bombcasts back (which in itself is a strange thing to say, I mean you cant have new IPs for every game, and its not like its a yearly series) but to ignore it on its release week is strange. Oh well

Dan says he really likes it. QL and review soony. (Other ppl seem busy with weddings and stuff.)
No mention of it on bombcast because they barely got it on monday.

yami4ct

Dan is playing it right now and said on UPF that he thinks it's great. Beastcast guys mentioned it at the very end, but said they'd talk more next week since they haven't put too much into it yet.

Sounds like a case of it being a known quantity and not having time to check it out yet. I'm certain at least a chunk of the crew will check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom