• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, now the question is did Jeff (or his future wife) pick this weekend in particular tongue in cheek or was there another reason? We'll probably never get an answer (and we shouldn't, as it is ultimately a private thing for them). If it was indeed the former, that's why Jeff's Jeff.

Scizzy

I love that despite all their efforts to avoid it, the Beastcast has gradually fallen into the Games We Played-News-Emails format. Proving, once again, that the Bombcast is the archetypal video game podcast.

I love that despite all their efforts to avoid it, the Beastcast has gradually fallen into the Games We Played-News-Emails format. Proving, once again, that the Bombcast is the archetypal video game podcast.

Hey, when it works it works. And the Bombcast model is a well oiled machine with little to no equal.

Zornack

So, now the question is did Jeff (or his future wife) pick this weekend in particular tongue in cheek or was there another reason? We'll probably never get an answer (and we shouldn't, as it is ultimately a private thing for them). If it was indeed the former, that's why Jeff's Jeff.

What is tongue in cheek about this weekend?

Lunar FC

Super Bowl Weekend. Super Bowl is in San Fran as well.

If it was tongue-in-cheek, it's kind of a tricky move for their guests. Those hotel prices are probably crazy.

I've got to imagine people coming for the game are staying near the stadium and not in downtown san fran.

yami4ct

I've got to imagine people coming for the game are staying near the stadium and not in downtown san fran.

Brining that many people into the town is likely increasing prices everywhere. Downtown is likely far, far less of an increase, but its probably still noticeable.

As a person named Jake, I can tell you that a lot of people's immediate reaction to hearing my name is to say "Jake from State Farm." This didn't start happening when that commercial first aired but recently, I hear it all the time. Alex did it to an emailer to the Beastcast and I always find it strange because I never realized how culturally impactful those stupid commercial apparently are.

As a person named Jake, I can tell you that a lot of people's immediate reaction to hearing my name is to say "Jake from State Farm." This didn't start happening when that commercial first aired but recently, I hear it all the time. Alex did it to an emailer to the Beastcast and I always find it strange because I never realized how culturally impactful those stupid commercial apparently are.
At least your name isn't Jared.

Lunar FC

Brining that many people into the town is likely increasing prices everywhere. Downtown is likely far, far less of an increase, but its probably still noticeable.

I'm interested to know the percentage of people who travel to the super bowl vs the locals who attend.

yami4ct

I'm interested to know the percentage of people who travel to the super bowl vs the locals who attend.

Even if we assume it's largely travelers (And I'm willing to bet it is), it sounds like getting this one was a real bad move for SF. Sounds like they're footing a huge bill, and doing large amounts of work to attract sporting events almost never pays off like cities like to belie it does.

That data in general would be super interesting if I was so inclined to try and dig it up. I wonder if stuff like that is even available?

Speaking of stupid insurance commercials, do you remember Nationwide's travesty of one last Super Bowl (or the one before)? It's all about a young boy, who at the end says that he is dead. That night, everyone (especially on Twitter) were floored that the commercial passed the OK phase. Some people (Patton Oswalt was one if I recall), tweeted "Nationwide, your child died" (their actual jingle is "Nationwide is on your side"). Was their campaign successful, though. Isn't the point of a successful campaign to get everyone talking. Boy, the day after the Super Bowl, people were still talking about that commercial.

You need to politely but firmly distance yourself from anyone who does this to you.

At least your name isn't Jared.

Yeah it certainly could be worse. I doesn't really bother me that much. More of an odd observation but it does get a little annoying because these people expect my to laugh at the thing I've heard a thousand times. They say it then give me that look, like "huh? huh? Get it?" "Oh, ha ha. Like that commercial." It's usually work related, meeting new clients or vendors or what not.

Why people keep saying that Jeff is getting married in San Francisco when he doesn't even lives there?

No one (at least from what I've seen) has said he's getting married in San Francisco itself. If I were to guess, he's getting married on his side of the Golden Gate Bridge.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Why people keep saying that Jeff is getting married in San Francisco when he doesn't even lives there?
San Francisco has some nice spots to get married at, but yea he could be getting married anywhere within a two hour distance could be reasonable for guests. Maybe not towards the east / central bay since they'll be particularly fucked traffic wise.

I do want Breaking Brad III: Caco-Dad Revengence, please.

GavinGT

Banned
I've been having some problems with videos not loading on the site lately. Usually the "download" version works, but even that sometimes doesn't load. Is there anything I can do to fix this. I just switched to Google DNS and it didn't make much of a difference.

yeah, Jeff lives up north, while the Super Bowl is down in San Jose.

More or less. It's actually Santa Clara, which is very close to San Jose (like maybe neighboring). Fun anecdote: My brother years ago (while he was going for his Masters at San Jose State to become an Athletic Trainer) was able to intern for the Niners in 2007. He actually become somewhat close with (now Broncos tight-end) Vernon Davis. My brother and his wife moved back here to Maryland in 2008. In 2013, for the baby shower of my niece, they received a signed baby Vernon Davis Niners jersey from Vernon. He signed it as "Uncle Vernon". When the Niners came to play the Redskins for a Thanksgiving game that year, they were able to get a picture of him with my niece wearing the jersey. So, I have a feeling who my brother and his wife will be rooting for this weekend.

Back in 2011 my brother was the head trainer of Johns Hopkins University football and as luck would have it, the Niners used their facilities to do final practices before their game against my team, the Ravens on Thanksgiving night (it was the first time the Harbaugh brothers faced each other- the next time would be in Super Bowl XLVII). My brother was able to score field passes and free tickets. I was able to stand on the sidelines for the entire pre-game. Our seats, though, were literally at the top of the stadium. Can't complain, though. It was a wonderful experience.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Brad is the laziest staffer in GB. Doom again. Fuck that.

I don't know, is it any worse than 'Jason and/or Drew just picked something random from the Steam new releases' method?

That's one thing I loved about the non-community focused TNTs was they'd have a good theme and go with that. Like the 3DO one.

demidar

I don't know, is it any worse than 'Jason and/or Drew just picked something random from the Steam new releases' method?

That's one thing I loved about the non-community focused TNTs was they'd have a good theme and go with that. Like the 3DO one.

Yeah, because at least it's something new.

Not that I would know >_>

Tubobutts

Vinny should be on all UPFs.

I always wanted to be on GUTS. Those other kids were all terrible at bungee cord basketball.

Space Cases, Dan you fool.

neshcom

Banned
So, I missed UPF, was the wedding actually mentioned somewhere? I feel like there's a whole Giant Bomb Wedding Backchannel I'm missing out on. Jeff is pretty guarded with personal stuff on the site, so this all is weirdly grounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom