• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xater

I dunno maybe I'm being unfair, but I saw that first trailer and it just had that "DO YOU GET IT EVERYONE, CLARK KENT MEET BRUCE WAYNE WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE" and I just couldn't.

Then again, I loathed Man of Steel so I'm probably not the target audience.

Man of Steel was really bad, and despite me liking some of Snyders past stuff, that makes me afraid of him being involved so much in the DC films.

jgminto

Batman vs Superman is always going to be garbage, the entire concept is terrible. There's zero chance of a modern Superman film being as good as the original Reeve film while they chase Nolan's Batman.

I will singlehandedly fund a Kickstarter for Brad Muir to take a selfie with a Quokka

BIjOoUvl.png
P0RFWabl.png

No, no it wasn't, like at all. That movie was so bad it made me question if Snyder did anything good before.

Yeah, I guess the actions scenes are ok but that's about it. Could never get into that movie. The best thing he ever did was the Dawn of the Dead remake then Watchmen and finally, 300.

Man of Steel was really bad, and despite me liking some of Snyders past stuff, that makes me afraid of him being involved so much in the DC films.

Sounds like you don't have to worry about that too much longer depending on the reception of BvS. Sounds like DC wants to go all in on Affleck and move away from Snyder, but then Justice League started filming which kind of seems in contrast of that.

Edit: I kind of liked Sucker Punch, just for weird stupidity of it.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Snyder is kind of a hack but Watchmen was good. Hard to fuck up source material so good when you have no imagination of your own and basically use the comic as a storyboard. I know some people think it sucked but I like the movie. I even like the new ending.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Jeff going in on Crash Bandicoot is exactly why Demo Derby is the best feature.

Patryn

I had a whole diatribe about how I liked Superman, but I realized that I was veering way off topic and would lead to a whole bunch of nonsense.

So I'll simply say that I disagree that Superman is boring. He's just being used improperly.

I am, however, very wary about BvS.

Far Cry Primal sounds like the definition of a 3 star game.

Jeff talking about how he beat it without realizing it on the Bombcast makes me think of an MMO more than anything. And for a more story-driven experience, that's not a good thing.

Of course the only MMO I ever got deep into was SWTOR and I played that for the story so I honestly don't know what the fuck I'm saying.

Sounds more like a 2 Star game to me, but I haven't actually played it yet

I mostly say it's a perfect 3 star game because it's a game that sounds like it could just as easily get a 5 star if it's the right person reviewing it. There doesn't seem to be much issue with the game, it just overstays its welcome and has a focus on stuff Jeff doesn't really care about. It seems competent but pointless unless you really like what it offers.

danm999

Superman is one of the most commonly improperly utilised characters when you think about it. TV, movies, video games, he's got a bad track record.

Xater

Superman is one of the most commonly improperly utilised characters when you think about it. TV, movies, video games, he's got a bad track record.

I don't even like most stories he is supposedly properly used in. The only Superman comic I enjoyed was Red Son and of course that Millar doing his twisted spin on everything.

Coming from someone who never really liked Superman, DC You supes has been pretty cool with him being depowered and running around like Batman. But I guess that's because he's not really Superman if he is depowered?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I liked when they killed Superman and everything got super weird.

One of the new ones was a robot and another one was just made of actual steel? Good stuff

John_Henry_Irons_as_Steel.jpg

2934363-06_action_comics__900_p51c.jpg

This is canon.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I don't even like most stories he is supposedly properly used in. The only Superman comic I enjoyed was Red Son and of course that Millar doing his twisted spin on everything.

Red Son is dope. I really like Superman For All Seasons tho, which is very much a quintessential back to basics Superman story, but it's mostly because it's some of Loeb & Sale's best work. Sale's art is amazing there.

Xater

I liked when they killed Superman and everything got super weird.

Which is why this is still the hottest of all burns by Batman:

Red Son is dope. I really like Superman For All Seasons tho, which is very much a quintessential back to basics Superman story, but it's mostly because it's some of Loeb & Sale's best work. Sale's art is amazing there.

Didn't care for it. Same with All-Star Superman everyone was so excited about.

I am normally the guy who says there are no bad characters just bad stories, but Superman quite often makes me question that stance.

I remember around the same time Super Mario 64, Nights and Crash Bandicoot were games that could be found on their respective platforms' kiosks and I remember Mario 64 was just head and shoulders above the others, to the point, it inspired me to sell my PS1 for an N64. A decision I later regretted but luckily that was also the time that I had my first job so I was able to actually buy a second console.

Xater

I remember around the same time Super Mario 64, Nights and Crash Bandicoot were games that could be found on their respective platforms' kiosks and I remember Mario 64 was just head and shoulders above the others.

People that liked Nights were always crazy people to me. I think we go through that discussion quite often in the GB threads though. One of the few things Jeff is very right about, unlike his SSX opinions again in this Demo Derby.

I remember around the same time Super Mario 64, Nights and Crash Bandicoot were games that could be found on their respective platforms' kiosks and I remember Mario 64 was just head and shoulders above the others, to the point, it inspired me to sell my PS1 for an N64. A decision I later regretted but luckily that was also the time that I had my first job so I was able to actually buy a second console.

Mario 64 is obviously the superior of those three but hey, those other two are not bad choices. (OK, NiGHTS is weird as heck, but if you bought a Saturn you should have known what you were getting into)

The most I've liked Superman was in the Dark Knight Returns when Batman was beating the shit out of him.

What, as Not!Reagan's attack dog? He's positioned well opposite old Batman but it's a very selective view of Supes.

The best Superman is for sure the DCAU Supes. Particularly in Justice League/Unlimited. I loved him in the Superdickery episode of Brave & Bold too (which is a must-watch for anyone who's ever given a damn about DC)

The tone of BvS seems horrible.
The latest (#3) trailer was okayish, some pretty good Bats vs Thugs Arkham style action in it.

Yeah, that bit with Batman and the goons was cool and felt straight out of one of the Arkham games in how he busted through the floor, use of gadgets and movement, etc. Everything else in those trailers has been borderline trash so far.

Watchman is the closest that Snyder has come to making a good movie. Although the best part of that movie is the intro credits scene.

Absolutely. The opening credits are the single best thing Snyder's ever done and nothing else that he's made comes close to that level.

Synder is only as good as the material he is working with. Even then, that Watchmem ending was and still is a total wtf given how it played out in the comics.

So really, the only good movies he's made are 300 and the Dawn remake.

Xater

Synder is only as good as the material he is working with. Even then, that Watchmem ending was and still is a total wtf given how it played out in the comics.

So really, the only good movies he's made are 300 and the Dawn remake.

I think the ending works fine. They couldn't get all the subplots into the film and I think it was still able to get the point across that the comics had.

Mario 64 is obviously the superior of those three but hey, those other two are not bad choices. (OK, NiGHTS is weird as heck, but if you bought a Saturn you should have known what you were getting into)

At the time, the thing that stuck out more than anything to me was Crash and Nights felt so confining compared to the freedom of movement you had in Mario 64. Back then, outside of first person shooters, that freedom of movement typically meant poor camera and awkward controls. Mario 64 gave you that freedom with limited camera controls and it actually felt intuitive to play. Crash was a good game but it worked because they designed it in a way to avoid the problems other 3D 3rd person games ran into. Mario 64 actually solved a lot of those problems instead.

Also, I remember not being terribly impressed by Timesplitters' visuals back then but its art style holds up much better than a lot of the games that did impress. They look better to me now, than they did back then, which is strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom