• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.

justjim89

I remember getting beat up in middle school for arguing that Metroid Prime was better than Halo (which I had never played but hey, middle school). The other guys said all you ever shot in Metroid where little bugs. I had no idea that the cannon fodder enemies in Halo were basically gremlins.

Ah well, it wouldn't have saved me.

Speaking of Prime, I hope at some point they play a Gamecube demo disc. There were a couple I used to have that I played to death back in the day.

I don't know, I've never exactly been a Halo guy so it's probably just me, but that Halo demo looked pretty boring and repetitive. All the environments seemed like they repeated.

That's Halo 1 for you: it's literally half a campaign and then another half of the game is spent backtracking through the first half.

You can smell the launch title crunch all over it.

mhanna49

Neo Member
I loved the three Timesplitters games and played a lot of Hunter: The Reckoning Wayward co-op on PS2. Those were definitely different times. Demo Derby is great.

Lijik

Demo Derby AND GB East playing Far Cry 2 later? Today is too good

That Timesplitters game. Damn that is way too close to Goldeneye.
I had the same reaction Drew did when they paused they game lmao

it's so slow compared to the ND crash games though. His jump is so sluggish compared to the older games, for example.
The level design is pretty competent but this definitely kills it. I liked it back in the day but I cant go back to it now because of how Crash handles.

EDIT- man Activision owning Crash is such weirdly common knowledge when you consider if the sierra buyout happened a month later they would have effectively put out zero Crash games.

Bowlie

Banned
Man, I get off the internet for a few days and all this content appears right in front of me

I swear if you talk about drought again

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
So help me out here because I think I'm going insane right now.
Was there a section of the Beastcast where they were doing some weird...I don't even know what, some weird reading thing, with some dude called Patrick (I think) about Santa's wife in an airport?

I'm really sick right now and I listened to this just thinking "WTF is going on right now" so I skipped ahead and now I can't find this thing again and I feel like I'm going crazy. Like seriously.

Was there a section of the Beastcast where they were doing some weird...I don't even know what, some weird reading thing, with some dude called Patrick (I think) about Santa's wife in an airport?

I'm really sick right now and I listened to this just thinking "WTF is going on right now" so I skipped ahead and now I can't find this thing again and I feel like I'm going crazy. Like seriously.

They were playing Fiasco.

Quenk

It was their Christmas episode when they played Fiasco: http://www.giantbomb.com/podcasts/the-giant-beastcast-episode-31/1600-1462/

There was an episode that they did some role playing that involved being dressed as Santa and Santas wife. It was the christmas/GOTY break episode I'm pretty sure.

Fantastapotamus

They were playing Fiasco.

Oh thank god. I fell asleep at some point and woke up that weird thing, skipped and couldn't find it anymore, so I was seriously not sure if that actually happened or not. Wow.
That felt super weird.

There was an episode that they did some role playing that involved being dressed as Santa and Santas wife. It was the christmas/GOTY break episode I'm pretty sure.

Ohhhhhhh.
I probably accidentally pressed the "next song" thing on my phone, that's why I couldn't find that fucking bit again. I was seriously freaking out right now. Man. Being sick sucks.

justjim89

Oh man, Dan is one of those kinda Batman fans. "He's so cool, he's just a dude! He loves justice and beats up criminals!"

I'm not big on superheros in general, but I've always found it pretty shitty how a rich dude who has all the money in the world and could actually make substantial changes with all his resources instead goes around beating up underprivileged criminals in a hopeless city. Some 17-year-old kid holds up a liquor store to try and pay his rent and gets his legs broken by the richest dude in the city and told to get a job.

Fantastapotamus

I still feel dizzy from this. What a stupid thing to happen, haha

Oh man, Dan is one of those kinda Batman fans. "He's so cool, he's just a dude! He loves justice and beats up criminals!"

I'm not big on superheros in general, but I've always found it pretty shitty how a rich dude who has all the money in the world and could actually make substantial changes with all his resources instead goes around beating up underprivileged criminals in a hopeless city. Some 17-year-old kid holds up a liquor store to try and pay his rent and gets his legs broken by the richest dude in the city and told to get a job.

I see you are one of the 99%, huh?
Bernard, fetch me my "anti-pleb spray"!

This is all assuming Bruce Wayne is a rational and sane person and not a fucking loon who can't shake the trauma of his parent's death and now wants to just punch jerks in the face so that he doesn't have to actually cope with how he really feels.

Ohhhhhhh.
I probably accidentally pressed the "next song" thing on my phone, that's why I couldn't find that fucking bit again. I was seriously freaking out right now. Man. Being sick sucks.

Yuuup. Was sick the last couple days and apparently I was talking to my wife about not going to work because of dock hours(job has nothing to do with docks) and then tried explaining that by saying our daughter somehow allows a store to have a japanese section(not japanese or asian).

Apparently I lose my fucking mind when I'm sick.

While I liked it, I still kind of prefer the original rotating barrel look from Unreal. Functionally they're very similar though.

Oh yeah that thing. They're indeed very similar and I want to say all the sound effects were the same, but UT's rocket launcher had all those cool moving parts. You saw it loading the rockets!
Speaking of UT 99, did anyone else play that game exclusively instagib?

Instagib CTF 4 lyf
I played a lot of instagib but a lot of regular mode too. Redeemer alone made the regular mode worth it.

Strax

I don't know, I've never exactly been a Halo guy so it's probably just me, but that Halo demo looked pretty boring and repetitive. All the environments seemed like they repeated.

100% this.

If had Halo been the 2nd or 3rd game with tight FPS gameplay on consoles they would not still be making Halo games. Its the same reason why people kept giving Mortal Kombat a chance even tho there, are at best, 5 MK that have not been bad.

Only difference between MK and Halo is that Halo has always played well.

100% this.

If had Halo been the 2nd or 3rd game with tight FPS gameplay on consoles they would not still be making Halo games. Its the same reason why people kept giving Mortal Kombat a chance even tho there, are at best, 5 MK that have not been bad.

Only difference between MK and Halo is that Halo has always played well.

IDK, I feel like even at the time the MP was the biggest reason for that games success. I don't really remember too many people talking about the story or campaign outside of the AI.

justjim89

The Demo Derby just reminded me how weird that generation was. Looking back on that generation, I'm still baffled what made the PS2 so popular or good. Final Fantasy stuff? Like, I can count on one hand the number of PS2 games I played and enjoyed. MGS2&3, Here Comes the Pain, SDvRaw 2006.

I know one of the initial selling points was it being an affordable DVD player, but that can't be everything.

LiK

The Demo Derby just reminded me how weird that generation was. Looking back on that generation, I'm still baffled what made the PS2 so popular or good. Final Fantasy stuff? Like, I can count on one hand the number of PS2 games I played and enjoyed. MGS2&3, Here Comes the Pain, SDvRaw 2006.

I know one of the initial selling points was it being an affordable DVD player, but that can't be everything.

it's true. the DVD player aspect of the PS2 was the main selling point (for me included). the launch PS2 games were pretty meh.

Strax

Being 12 when PS2 came out it was all about GTA, God of War, Guitar Hero and a DVD player in my school.

Curufinwe

The generation wasn't weird, your tastes were.

The PS2 already had a great lineup of exclusives one year after launch.
k9L81YH.jpg

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

PS2 had the best games library in the history of games. Gamecube had a solid dozen games and I'm sure there was something worth buying the original Xbox for but I never found it.

justjim89

The generation wasn't weird, your tastes were.

I'm not discounting that. I was a Gamecube stalwart. Then a Wii stalwart. Now I play all my games on a laptop.

New premium podcast idea: Jeff, Brad, Dan, and Alex read their most groan-inducing reviews and preview texts they've produced over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom