• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.
That Spider-Man game has a kick-ass Green Goblin bonus mode. Fly around on a glider and shoot criminals.

With Dan's opinions on Batman, Superman, and God of War, I'd be surprised if the guy never read or watched The Dark Knight Returns. Dirty Harry Batman borrowing story beats from Rocky III, and the animated version where Batman's voiced by Robocop, seems up his alley.

Sky Saw

Banned
I got kinda pissed how in MP3 they wrote off MP2's story in like a single sentence with Max saying the stuff with Mona was just a mistake. Fuck that.

3 did a lot of things wrong story wise but man did it play well. I didn't expect them to top 2 gameplay wise but they did it.

192full-max-payne-screenshot.jpg

Also I just noticed Max has different hair here to the model in the game

130065-126812-max.jpg

Is that shot i quoted from a pre release version or something?

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
There's some rough platforming sections and the game really loves reusing stages/assets too but, man, there's also a guy in a Captain Baseball Bat Boy outfit loaded with explosives in it, too.

"They're collectibles! You know how much these things are worth? They're worth a fuckin' fortune!"

Max Payne (1) is intentionally cheesy, it's a noir pastiche. The XBM writer obviously did not pick up on that, which does not surprise me. I will say MP2 is written with a defter hand and does a better job balancing between homage and pastiche.

I got kinda pissed how in MP3 they wrote off MP2's story in like a single sentence with Max saying the stuff with Mona was just a mistake. Fuck that.

I thought it was kind of hilarious how Max Payne 2 ends with Max accepting all the shit that's happened to him and the first cutscene of 3 is him just saying that was a bunch of bullshit.

justjim89

I played through Max Payne 1, 2, and 3 for the first time in like a single calendar year, and if there's one thing I remember improving dramatically from 1 to 2, it's the nightmare sequences. That shit was so bad and headache-inducing in 1.

I thought it was kind of hilarious how Max Payne 2 ends with Max accepting all the shit that's happened to him and the first cutscene of 3 is him just saying that was a bunch of bullshit.

Yeah, it was an odd transition to see back to back. Don't get me wrong, I loved how Max was old and drunk and chubby, just getting fucked up and throwing himself around his apartment, but it was a hell of a character shift. That being said, I had a lot of fun with 3. I really loved how even when you switched to a pistol, Max carried his other gun in his off hand instead of magically hiding it.

It's almost like the people in charge wanted to tell a story that didn't necessarily work in the context of what preceded it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

but that's what MP 2 did to MP 1. 'i am so sad about my family and my life is ruined. but i still really want to bang this girl so lol i'm over them'

Yeah, it was an odd transition to see back to back. Don't get me wrong, I loved how Max was old and drunk and chubby, just getting fucked up and throwing himself around his apartment, but it was a hell of a character shift. That being said, I had a lot of fun with 3. I really loved how even when you switched to a pistol, Max carried his other gun in his off hand instead of magically hiding it.

but then, if he doesn't have another gun, his free hand is just cupped like it's holding a pair of invisible balls, which looks weird for reasons i dont think i have to get into.

Yeah, 3 still told an entertaining story but jumping from MP2 straight into MP3 was like slamming into a brick wall, especially when MP2 has such a strong ending.
It's almost like the people in charge wanted to tell a story that didn't necessarily work in the context of what preceded it.

I think you're onto something here.

Yeah, 3 still told an entertaining story but jumping from MP2 straight into MP3 was like slamming into a brick wall, especially when MP2 has such a strong ending.

Absolutely, the ending is the strongest part of MP2, particularly the final line. So good. The gunplay in Max Payne 3 is divine but I just could never get over how it threw that closure right out the window.

Noaloha

I just saw Dan going in on a boyband and I @-ed him with a suggestion that it's about time he show his musical capability.

Now, Dan is a guy who intends to can.

So, I hope he tries to does.

Is it really just a freak coincidence that there just was a article posted on Kotaku about cute animals in Australia and it has the Quokka in it?

pizzacat

Banned
Even as a DC I can't lie and have to say supes is only good when he's hellbent on something or just not himself

Red Son is too good

But at the same time there are times when superman is just too charming I have to like him like

tumblr_inline_mzmy2bFTMx1rtdno6.png

Even as a DC I can't lie and have to say supes is only good when he's hellbent on something or just not himself

Red Son is too good

But at the same time there are times when superman is just too charming I have to like him like

tumblr_inline_mzmy2bFTMx1rtdno6.png

My first thought was, "Batman is hiding somewhere?"

Then... oh.

A person would have to be insane to be a criminal or security officer in heroverses. It's a one-way ticket to prison or the grave, respectively. (Yes, villains almost certainly live longer.)

Max Payne 3 was a bad game, full stop.

How? Like, I totally get how people could have a problem with the story after how 2 ended, but the game itself is pretty fantastic. It still has very little competition in terms of third person shooting gameplay five years later.

It has tons of great moments, too. The long airport shoot-out near the end of the game....Man. Maaaaan.

Tubobutts

How could Giantbomb.com not know that Epona isn't a pun on pony but is instead named after a Celtic horse goddess? How dare they. I only know that because it was in a letter in Nintendo Power.

And I used to think Dhalsim was called Dhalism.

pizzacat

Banned
Is this still VR only?

How could Giantbomb.com not know that Epona isn't a pun on pony but is instead named after a Celtic horse goddess? How dare they. I only know that because it was in a letter in Nintendo Power.

And I used to think Dhalsim was called Dhalism.
I remember they were talking about SFV and Jeff said dhalsim in the weirdest way ever

DAL SEEM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom