• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love the gameplay, but it doesnt let me enjoy it before a migraine inducing, painfully written cut scene happens. Worst case of gaming blue balls of all time.

I came to accept that it's either a you love it or hate it game. Fortunately for me, I loved everything about it. Beat the game 7 or so times, including New York Minute Hardcore.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Also I don't think a billionaire with access to the most powerful technology on the planet gets to quality as 'just a dude'

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
The superman run down of his enemies was the best. He truly is the worst fucking thing in comics. goddamn I hate superman.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
These "Who's shittier: Batman or Superman?" sort of conversations are gonna get exhausting over the next few months, aren't they?

probably because this conversation has been my entire life I don't notice it anymore. I pity none of you just now going through this. welcome to my hell.

I'm too lazy to quote all the Batman/Superman stuff, so have this.

The DC animated universe is the only version of DC stuff that I consistently enjoy. I really like how they made Batman a more compassionate character to combat the standard edgelord interpretation of the character being "just as crazy as his villians" because he's dedicated his life to stopping crime. Going back and watching Batman: The Animated Series, it's remarkable how often Batman expresses concern for the well-being of the people he's apprehending, many of whom are clearly mentally ill and need serious help. He also does a lot of detective work and shit, so that's neat. The character is way more than rich cool guy who mercilessly pummels evil, at least that version of the character.

I don't really care about Superman, so nothing much to say about that.

FStop7

Banned
I have to admit that Frank Miller's portrayal of Superman as being someone so stupid that he didn't realize he could fly and would instead run across the ocean back and forth between North America and Europe was pretty funny.

I never thought Superman was very cool until I read Alan Moore's "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" THAT Superman was cool.

I'm too lazy to quote all the Batman/Superman stuff, so have this.

The DC animated universe is the only version of DC stuff that I consistently enjoy. I really like how they made Batman a more compassionate character to combat the standard edgelord interpretation of the character being "just as crazy as his villians" because he's dedicated his life to stopping crime. Going back and watching Batman: The Animated Series, it's remarkable how often Batman expresses concern for the well-being of the people he's apprehending, many of whom are clearly mentally ill and need serious help. He also does a lot of detective work and shit, so that's neat. The character is way more than rich cool guy who mercilessly pummels evil, at least that version of the character.

I don't really care about Superman, so nothing much to say about that.

The DCAU was better written than 99% of all comic books.

Superman is just a tough character to make interesting without resorting to the easy "hey, he lost his powers AGAIN!" twist. A Superman video game would only be fun if they just went all out and made it an insane balls to the wall power fantasy.

J_Viper

Is there an archive for the old Hotspot podcasts anywhere?

There was a thread with links on the GB forum, but they seem to be dead now. It'd be a shame if they were forever lost to time.

I don't know much about comics but I do think Superman looks pretty cool when he's drawn middle aged like this:
6S5055e.jpg

Batman and Superman are approaching 80 years of history. Don't know what to say if you can't find part of their extensive works appealing. I believe that's true for many long lasting characters. Speaking broadly, Superman is a really good guy with incredible powers, which he (almost) never abuses for personal gain. That doesn't appeal to everybody. Many great writers opt to write stories about Superman's impact and legacy over Superman himself.

I prefer superman when he's bald.

...I was about to add that One Punch Man works as a Superman story, in a sense.

Ketch

So I got invisible inc cus Austin talked it up so much. And damn, that game is amazing. The quick look does not do it justice.

I beat it on beginner in like two sittings with zero problems so when the game suggested I try medium next I was like nah I'll go to the advanced setting which the game says is the default balance. Both my agents died on the first mission. Whoops.

Megasoum

Banned
Guys... I'm 36 days away from my first ever Iron Maiden show and they just finished their first show of the new tour so I now know the setlist and I'm fucking hyped. It's not a perfect setlist but still very good.

(if you're curious or if you're going to see them too on this tour)

-If Eternity should Fail
-Speed of Light
-Children of the Damned
-Tears of a clown
-The Red and the Black
-The Trooper
-Powerslave
-Death or Glory
-The Book of Souls
-Hallowed be thy name
-Fear of the Dark
-Iron Maiden
-The Number of the Beast
-Blood Brothers
-Wasted Years

I wish that, especially considering what happened with Trine 3, the only business model they tried was "make a complete game and release it"

Yeah, I'm not even looking at their stuff until I see positive impressions.

Trine 3 was in Early Access until they ran out of money, and then, coincidentally, it was finished. One of the very worst kinds of Early Access abuse.

Yeah, I'm not even looking at their stuff until I see positive impressions.

Trine 3 was in Early Access until they ran out of money, and then, coincidentally, it was finished. One of the very worst kinds of Early Access abuse.

It's the shittiest. I loved the first two games, and seeing that write-up where they basically owned up to their failure was a real bummer.

Announced in February, released in August, and video apologizing for the game's abject failure uploaded a week after.

Early Access: Not Even Once.

Am I picking up what happened on the playdate? Did they
accidentally execute their buddy
in Far Cry 2?

I think I'll reinstall and see if I can run it at 4k.

Am I picking up what happened on the playdate? Did they
accidentally execute their buddy
in Far Cry 2?

I think I'll reinstall and see if I can run it at 4k.

Yes and no.

But Austin performs a far greater sin. Morality is shades of gray, but this was a pure stripe of black and white.
It's the shittiest. I loved the first two games, and seeing that write-up where they basically owned up to their failure was a real bummer.

Announced in February, released in August, and video apologizing for the game's abject failure uploaded a week after.

Early Access: Not Even Once.
It's frustrating because there's so many good examples of Early Access. Larian's Divinity: Original Sin would be a completely different game, and probably phenomenon, without it. Project Zomboid simply wouldn't exist.

It's ruining something that can be wholly beneficial because of short-sightedness and/or poor planning.

holy shit this shadwen game has a superhot/braid-esque time mechanic that the tutorial doesn't even as much as hint at

time moves when you do, but you can also rewind or force time to progress without moving by crouching

daydream

Banned
when austin pulls up that fc2 map and it's not littered with mission dots like a pointilist painting

brought the figurative tear to my eye

Giant Bomb has its quiet times and then they dump a Demo Derby and a Play Date in the same day. Makes me binge GB content and then I feel bad afterwards for wasting an entire day
not entirely unlike wasting a day with a hang over

I don't know much about comics but I do think Superman looks pretty cool when he's drawn middle aged like this:

That's from Kingdom Come... Actually a really good comic book to read if you're not very into comics (I know a lot of libraries and bookstores carry this pretty popular title. Gorgeous art style.)

Anyone who cares about Far Cry 2 should listen to this interview with Clint Hocking (though it covers a lot more than just FC2): https://www.idlethumbs.net/tonecontrol/episodes/clint-hocking

Actually I think it would be pretty interesting to listen to even if you don't care about the game.
Also half of his villains aren't (Negative word) Batman. And another third of what's left aren't also just evil versions of Batman with different names.

Cyborg isn't a negative word. It's like the most positive word.

yami4ct

So, Galak-Z is still unfinished and free on PS+? Not only did I basically pay to beta test that game, but I could've waited for it to be finished and got it for free before then.

Seriously, the way 17-Bit handled that game is the grossest of gross.

daydream

Banned
If we have to sacrifice TOGS at the altar to bring more Project BEAST... then so be it.

pls

i mean, they're from different coasts and all so they're not interfering in any way

but i will fight you regardless

and sacrifice beast for the return of vinnyvania in the process

Jintor

That's from Kingdom Come... Actually a really good comic book to read if you're not very into comics (I know a lot of libraries and bookstores carry this pretty popular title. Gorgeous art style.)

I used to think that, but honestly, my favourite parts about Kingdom Come are a) the Art, b) Diana getting banished and going steadily more militant, c) Old Bruce kicking Lex Luthor's ass via an overly complicated gambit that makes no sense, and d) everyone hanging out in a burger bar afterwards.

I'm too invested in Kerbal now to let it die to TOGS.

Besides, TOGS is already dead, so it's too late! My gambit worked!
SUPERHOT Review
REVIEW ON FEB 25, 2016 06:00 AM

I'm going to guess
5/5.

5/5 Shoemaker or 2/5 Gerstbreaker. There are no other options.
So, Galak-Z is still unfinished and free on PS+? Not only did I basically pay to beta test that game, but I could've waited for it to be finished and got it for free before then.

Seriously, the way 17-Bit handled that game is the grossest of gross.

Oh wow. I keep forgetting that it released unfinished.

Early Access needs to be a thing forced on games that try to dodge it, at least on Steam. Like any game with "content schedules" (SFV) or downright unfinished releases (Galak-Z).

Y'know, there was a brief period where I was excited by the thought Galak-Z, a mech action game, until I realised it was just a sort of twitch roguelike with no real progression. (I need progression in my mech games.)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I never bought MK X. Something about the roster didn't appeal to me despite loving MK9. I really hated everything I saw of hte Kombat Kids and more importantly, I feel like it was dumb to have characters that played like a blend of two other characters AND have those two other characters in it.

That complete edition with all the DLC is coming out soon though and I was thinking about buying that. Even though I'm mostly thinking KI for PC is gonna be my go-to fighting time for a while

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom