• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

I'm too invested in Kerbal now to let it die to TOGS.

Besides, TOGS is already dead, so it's too late! My gambit worked!

5/5 Shoemaker or 2/5 Gerstbreaker. There are no other options.

Oh wow. I keep forgetting that it released unfinished.

Early Access needs to be a thing forced on games that try to dodge it, at least on Steam. Like any game with "content schedules" (SFV) or downright unfinished releases (Galak-Z).

Y'know, there was a brief period where I was excited by the thought Galak-Z, a mech action game, until I realised it was just a sort of twitch roguelike with no real progression. (I need progression in my mech games.)

A big problem is that PS4 has no Early Access equivalent. Either Sony cert needs to step up and deny games that try to use an EA model on PS4 or they need to implement it. Early Access isn't a marketing thing. It's about giving consumers information that the product they're buying is incomplete.

I don't even know what would cause a game to fail cert at this point. Galak-Z at launch on PS4 was a freaking train wreck. Fairly frequent crashes to the dashboard, lock-ups and awful performance when you needed a good framerate to adequately play the game. Game should not have been allowed to release like that, at least without some warning to consumers. I've never felt as duped by a game as I have Galak-Z. I'm really shocked reviewers didn't call it out on that shit. I like that game a lot too. Just super duper sad. I've never buying a 17-Bit game near launch again unless there are a good number of users telling me that game is actually done.

I know 17-Bit lost their programer and that's made things rough, but at some point you've made your own bed. The fact they released that game like they did and still haven't finished the damn thing is unacceptable.

A big problem is that PS4 has no Early Access equivalent. Either Sony cert needs to step up and deny games that try to use an EA model on PS4 or they need to implement it. Early Access isn't a marketing thing. It's about giving consumers information that the product they're buying is incomplete.

I don't even know what would cause a game to fail cert at this point. Galak-Z at launch on PS4 was a freaking train wreck. Fairly frequent crashes to the dashboard, lock-ups and awful performance when you needed a good framerate to adequately play the game. Game should not have been allowed to release like that, at least without some warning to consumers. I've never felt as duped by a game as I have Galak-Z. I'm really shocked reviewers didn't call it out on that shit. I like that game a lot too. Just super duper sad. I've never buying a 17-Bit game near launch again unless there are a good number of users telling me that game is actually done.

Content passes seem like the replacement for Project $10, honestly. They should be labelled for what they are--foundational games, not full releases. And for crashes, while I don't own an Xbox One or PS4, it really does seem that there's more issues of compatibility and stability as the OSes get more complex and PC-like. Don't know what the solution is, but something definitely needs to be done in both cases.

Now, an aside about shopping on consoles (at least on PSTV): I don't know how anyone shops digitally on PSN. The store is a nightmare to navigate and finding anything you're not specifically looking for, let alone info on it, is a waking terror. Menus within menus within broken links hidden behind drop-down menus within more menus and then the store page fails to load because, dammit, you have a browser and/or game open on another tab that's using too many resources which means an unknown error has occured. And then you get past that, finding a game you actually want to look at, the price and a vague paragraph, and maybe some screenshots, are what you're getting to decide on the purchase.

What I'm getting at is, if they add even more shopping categories I may scream.

I know 17-Bit lost their programer and that's made things rough, but at some point you've made your own bed. The fact they released that game like they did and still haven't finished the damn thing is unacceptable.

That's exactly why I hate Early Access (and Kickstarter, now that I think about it): there's no "shit got fucked up" insurance.

Ironically enough, the latest status update for the lone EA game I purchased can be summed up as "We're hiring because we lost one of our gameplay programmers."

yami4ct

That's exactly why I hate Early Access (and Kickstarter, now that I think about it): there's no "shit got fucked up" insurance.

Ironically enough, the latest status update for the lone EA game I purchased can be summed up as "We're hiring because we lost one of our gameplay programmers."

With EA, you sort of assume some of that risk as a buyer. That's the point of an EA warning. You get some benefit in being able to play it early, being able to give feedback to the devs, supporting a project you like or sometimes a discount, but a major point of EA is warning you shit can go wrong.

The fucked up thing about Galak-Z is it never had an EA warning and absolutely no one took 17-bit to task for that. Reviewers really fucked up on that one. I'm kind of sad Austin didn't mention it in his review. I would not have bought the game had I known its release state, even though I did end up enjoying it a ton despite the issues.

yami4ct

That sure sounds like beta testing to me.

It totally is. EA is paid alpha/beta access. That's fucked up in some ways and I get why some people may not be into that. It's not something for everyone, but I can understand why some devs really need that injection of cash to keep going and why some people support it.

I don't personally buy EA games and sometimes that system is abused, but I understand it.

Strax

I just found out I got a nomination at Iceland Ad Awards for an ad campaign I came up with and wrote.

But I don't work for the ad agency anymore.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
They didn't even review many games from their top 10, why would they review Bloodborne?

Sorry

edit: Also, after the latest Bombcast I want a System Shock 1/2 Bombastica with Brad!

Patryn

There's a reason I avoid all Early Access games.

I really wish that Steam had a filter where I could just tell it to never show me anything in EA. Or maybe I'm just dense and I've missed it.

Kickstarter I feel is a different thing, because I treat that as a situation where I doubt the game will ever exist unless it succeeds. The list of games I've backed on it is very, very small.

Random question: Thinking about picking up Rogue Galaxy on my PS4. I owned it for the PS2 and never really got into it, but I feel like giving it another try. I just remember that the partner AI is really bad and bosses can be pretty rough. Should I bother?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I don't buy Early Access, but I do respect what it can do for certain games and genres (like kerbal). Some games just benefit from having community feedback from the start, and also be able to get the funding for ongoing development.

Like whatever, there are quite a number of early access games that don't deliver what they promise, but so are a lot of games which were released normally. Sure would be nice if developer are more accountable for not delivering on EA, but I won't fault the entire service.

Patryn

I don't buy Early Access, but I do respect what it can do for certain games and genres (like kerbal). Some games just benefit from having community feedback from the start, and also be able to get the funding for ongoing development.

Like whatever, there are quite a number of early access games that don't deliver what they promise, but so are a lot of games which were released normally. Sure would be nice if developer are more accountable for not delivering on EA, but I won't fault the entire service.

Oh, certainly. As with many things, just because I avoid EA doesn't mean I think it shouldn't exist.

I just wish I could filter it out so I don't see a game that looks interesting only to find out it's an EA game.

I prefer playing things when they're finished, so it doesn't become a disjointed experience.

Crypt of the Necrodancer is the only game I've purchased in Early Access and that was because the core game was, essentially, done. They added some characters, marketplace stuff, a bunch of balance tweaks (and the fourth zone) etc., but by and large that first Early Access version was a huge chunk of game.

Any word who's reviewing SuperHOT?

Xater

Crypt of the Necrodancer is the only game I've purchased in Early Access and that was because the core game was, essentially, done. They added some characters, marketplace stuff, a bunch of balance tweaks (and the fourth zone) etc., but by and large that first Early Access version was a huge chunk of game.

Any word who's reviewing SuperHOT?

I would have guessed Jeff, but he just did the FC Primal review, so maybe someone else.

popo

I am super late to this argument, never had a PS3, but how the hell did the Uncharted series get so much praise? Especially 2 - with 99 out of 100 reviews on metacritic being 9/10 or higher. 5/5 for 2 and 3 on GB. 2 being GOTY.

Is it me or has it just aged badly? I don't think they are bad games and the dialog/VO stands out as pretty good for the genre but other than that - super linear, average cover shooter, cliched story (1 and 2 have essentially the same ending), terrible boss battles.

If the HD collection was meant to build hype for 4 - it might have done the opposite for me.

LiK

I am super late to this argument, never had a PS3, but how the hell did the Uncharted series get so much praise? Especially 2 - with 99 out of 100 reviews on metacritic being 9/10 or higher. 5/5 for 2 and 3 on GB. 2 being GOTY.

Is it me or has it just aged badly? I don't think they are bad games and the dialog/VO stands out as pretty good for the genre but other than that - super linear, average cover shooter, cliched story (1 and 2 have essentially the same ending), terrible boss battles.

If the HD collection was meant to build hype for 4 - it might have done the opposite for me.

1) Looked incredible when it first came out. The animation and other forms of tech included.
2) Great funny dialogue and quips from Drake and company.
3) Excellent setpieces for the time.

I'm in the same boat as you. I absolutely hated 1 and 2 I just thought was kind of repetitive and boring. I mostly thought it was just me having issues with the combat though, I just hated the damn gun battles in those games.

The thing that made 2 stick out was how well it was paced and how well it handled it's set piece moments, that stuff is kind of done to death at this point so it's not as impressive as it was back when it launched.

LiK

I'm in the same boat as you. I absolutely hated 1 and 2 I just thought was kind of repetitive and boring. I mostly thought it was just me having issues with the combat though, I just hated the damn gun battles in those games.

the combat is actually the weakest aspect of the series. first game had really horrible bullet spongy enemies (fixed for HD). they actually rectified this for the sequel with the human enemies but those blue guys had the same issue. people wanted more exploration even when it first came out. I still remember the discussions about it.

Svafnir

Totally fair. 2 and 3 had amazing set pieces and just pushed the boundaries of what you saw in games. Generally buildings collapsing or falling out of a plane were a cutscene or a QTE, but in Uncharted you played them. This is less relevant now though.

I also like the story, gunplay and enjoying the graphics. But I get it's not for everyone, especially the gunplay.

they're games pretty much engineered to appeal to the broadest possible audience. like music or movies that do the same thing (Avengers), some people just instinctively reject it. even if you're not conscious of why it turns you off, some part of you reacts to the kind of overt pandering that kind of media does.

"just turn off your brain and enjoy it." fuck you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom